Pink Line

Busjack

CTA just issued a Press Release that the 54th via Paulina "experimental route" will be the Pink Line (thus two colors on the branch west of the Paulina split).

P.S. I have certain preconceived notions where a pink line should stop. This also saves the Gray Line advocates some aggravation.

The rumored choice was Silver, but there was scuttlebutt that it interfered with the Gray Line proposal for the Metra Electric, previously discussed (can't distinguish the two colors on a map).

BTW, this puts a monkey wrench in the "Who thinks the 'Pink' line should be built" thread.

Can't have black, white, silver, gray, or maroon, so you gotta take the easy route with *shudder* pink.

who was the one who decided on this, seriously?!

Uhm....very strange color indeed. On "FOX Chicago News" It seems as though there was a contest for the colors. Pink won followed by: Silver,and Gold. A really strange color for a train line.......and is causing CTA riders to be very upset. Seems a litte silly to get upset. Even thought pink is the most femine color....

I prefer the older, although I wonder why some were named for destinations (Howard, Englewood), others for the street along which they ran (Milwaukee, Lake), and others for parks nearby (Douglas, also formerly Garfield and Humboldt). I would vote for a straight destination system (i.e. Kimball is o.k.).

The problem supposedly is that there are a lot of people that don't read English (probably especially on the Brown and Pink lines). Maybe having something that translates into "la linea cafe" works for them (I saw that on a car card). While there are numerous Korean signs in my neighborhood, I wonder what the one for Kimball would be.

I can't really see a New York system (an A, P and 9 train on the same track). However, things might get real confusing here if they institute 54th-Kimball, 54th-O'Hare, Midway-Kimball, Midway-O'Hare, Midway-O'Hare Express, Linden-United Center, etc. trains on the current network, as some conceptual plans indicate.

I would vote for a straight destination system (i.e. Kimball is o.k.).  

The problem supposedly is that there are a lot of people that don't read English (probably especially on the Brown and Pink lines).

Also on the Blue and Orange lines, for foreign tourists. Names only work well for people familiar with the city.

While there are numerous Korean signs in my neighborhood, I wonder what the one for Kimball would be.

It can be done; Archer Avenue has street signs in Chinese.

I can't really see a New York system (an A, P and 9 train on the same track). However, things might get real confusing here if they institute 54th-Kimball, 54th-O'Hare, Midway-Kimball, Midway-O'Hare, Midway-O'Hare Express, Linden-United Center, etc. trains on the current network, as some conceptual plans indicate.

Letters could work, though it might confuse some Chicagoans who associate them with skip-stop service. A combination of letters and colors might be appropriate, but without trunk lines to color-code routes (would Kimball-54/Cermak be Brown or Pink?), naming could become a political mess.

• 10 years later...
8 hours ago, garmon757 said:

And still doesn't run 6 cars on a regular day..... >:(

The Pink Line doesn't need more than 4 car trains except for very rare occasions. In fact, If the Blue Line Forest Park Branch were upgraded and expanded I.E. 4 track express/local service, The Pink Line (and possibly the Green Line also) could be eliminated completely. Obviously, this would never happen due to the political powers that be.

On 6/28/2016 at 8:34 PM, garmon757 said:

Nope. Only for things like big parades and Taste of Chicago before attendance started dropping. 

On 6/29/2016 at 5:08 AM, juelzkellz said:

The Pink Line doesn't need more than 4 car trains except for very rare occasions. In fact, If the Blue Line Forest Park Branch were upgraded and expanded I.E. 4 track express/local service, The Pink Line (and possibly the Green Line also) could be eliminated completely. Obviously, this would never happen due to the political powers that be.

Green Line also has FTA life left given its reconstruction was finished just 20 years ago as of Late May/early last month. And I think I remember CTA saying in response to rumors during the two year shutdown of it being closed for good that they would have to return money invested into the Line back to FTA if they did that which if true they obviously don't have that kind of money. Also you'd have to explain where the extra buses to absorb the Green and Pink Lines displaced riders are supposed to come from. Given those factors i think we should leave ideas of dismantling L lines alone when L ridership across the board is increasing. CTA already got enough heat from folks for letting the late Rev. Brazier persuade them into dismantling the Jackson Park branch just east of Cottage Grove. Now they're restricted to the Green Line trains being a max of 6 cars because the way the cut everything off immediately east of Cottage leaves that station only being able to berth 6 cars. So they now can't lengthen trains if ridership ever got that high and the late Reverend made loads of money from the real estate he put up all along that stretch of 63rd Street after the L structure was dismantled.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, chicagopcclcar said:

FACT CHECKING....Incorrect, Cottage Grove has been reberthed so that the north platform CAN berth eight-cars trains. SECOND FACT CHECKING....Support your statement  that a "Reverend" (No person was named by poster) "made loads of money." To me, sounds like forum rules violation.

DH

What forum rules violation sir? It's pretty well known that one Reverend Brazier, recently deceased and whom I did name if you look earlier in the post, was a main force behind the Green Line not getting rehabbed east of Cottage Grove and the rail structure eventually being dismantled. It's also known that he subsequently profited from it through a number of real estate deals he conducted in that area after CTA ripped down the L. If I made an error on whether Cottage Grove was restricted to six cars, then I'll accept that since we've all made mistakes on occasion. So my only question now is why are you trying to stir up trouble this evening where there isn't any?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, chicagopcclcar said:

FACT CHECKING....Incorrect, Cottage Grove has been reberthed so that the north platform CAN berth eight-cars trains. SECOND FACT CHECKING....Support your statement  that a "Reverend" (No person was named by poster) "made loads of money." To me, sounds like forum rules violation.

DH

During off peak hours I know that the north platform is used exclusively

What happens during the peak periods when a train is already berthed at the north platform?   Must the approaching train wait for the berthed train to leave or can he unload on the South platform?

On 6/28/2016 at 8:34 PM, garmon757 said:

Outbound from the Loop to Polk, it does need 6 cars to Polk St., where almost everyone gets off to go to the various hospitals, doctor's offices & medical schools there. It's always SRO in the AM rush & the same inbound in the PM rush from Polk.

1 minute ago, strictures said:

Outbound from the Loop to Polk, it does need 6 cars to Polk St., where almost everyone gets off to go to the various hospitals, doctor's offices & medical schools there. It's always SRO in the AM rush & the same inbound in the PM rush from Polk.

True and what I don't understand that Pink and Green Line shares nearly or over (because of some 5200s there) 200 railcars. I wish I can talk to the management about it.