railfan4072

7000-series - Procurement

554 posts in this topic

Here's a comparison....a mock-up of Boston Orange line submitted by their Chinese builder. Don't let the coloring lead you astray.... Boston always put color on their railcars to identify routes.

DH  

mbta-orange-line-mockup-05f8d543aaafcf25.jpg

orange-line-mockup-1-1.jpg

I visited Boston in 2007 and rode all the "colors" except the Mattapan/Ashmont trolley(closed for repairs).

Two things hurt my heart:

1) MBTA had eliminated their elevated lines

2) The Red, Orange, and Blue line cars all had aisle facing seats

I like the new car and hope to go back and ride them.

49 minutes ago, geneking7320 said:

\

2) The Red, Orange, and Blue line cars all had aisle facing seats

I like the new car and hope to go back and ride them.

Aisle facing seats is the norm in Boston and New York and that might be where the long-gone CTA engineers got their ideas from. The seating debate duplicated the seating debate  of the 1910s when the first of the Cincinnati Car Company 4000 series debuted in Chicago and the cars had "bowling alley seats." CRT went back to transversal seating. That style remained through the years until the 3200 series were adopted in the 90s. That series featured a wider aisle and single seats on one side. The proposed 7000 series will go back to that seating. Photo....A 4001 series rail car built in 1914..

DH 

Scan 15.jpeg

58 minutes ago, chicagopcclcar said:

Aisle facing seats is the norm in Boston and New York and that might be where the long-gone CTA engineers got their ideas from. The seating debate duplicated the seating debate  of the 1910s when the first of the Cincinnati Car Company 4000 series debuted in Chicago and the cars had "bowling alley seats." CRT went back to transversal seating. That style remained through the years until the 3200 series were adopted in the 90s. That series featured a wider aisle and single seats on one side. The proposed 7000 series will go back to that seating. Photo....A 4001 series rail car built in 1914..

DH 

Scan 15.jpeg

Note that the old Cincinnati car doesn't have those stanchions making it impossible for fat people to adjust to width. That's the worst problem as every 5000 & every 4150 & up artic bus has empty spaces due to that.

The second worst problem on the 5000s are the bums who sleep over five seats at a time.