Metra Accidents

rotjohns

OK, I need to vent here because I just got a text message saying a pedistrian was hit by a Metra Train in Downers Grove, the 2nd on that line in as many days. This is after a pedistrian was killed in Hinsdale yesterday. We've seen a woman killed in Bensenville by a Metra train, a boy in Barrington lose his foot after getting hit by a train and a man in Tinley Park struck and killed by one. This is in the past 10 days!!! I know a lot of this has to do with people simply not paying attention when they get to a station. Take your headphones off and STOP, LOOK, and LISTEN!!!! However, I don't know if Metra is really doing a good job alerting the public when a train is approaching. I live along the BNSF line and those trains do not whistle at all unless there are 2 trains passing each other at the same time OR if they are closer to the city. I guess it's the noise ordinance in Dupage county, which is probably the case in other counties. So they'd rather follow that noise ordinance as opposed to continue to let lives lost because they don't know a train is coming? I know the Hinsdale issue caused trains to not move until after 6pm at least and were incurring 75 minute delays at one point. I don't understand why this is so hard for everyone involved. Metra and the lines really need to do something to prevent these things from happening.

There was a stink about 10 years ago when the feds wanted to impose a sound the horn requirement at all crossings, and pretty much all the local government officials complained to their congresspeople and got that beat back.

The only reaction I got from reading this story, which was the understandable "didn't I read this yesterday?" is that how can Metra claim any kind of on time performance, when this happens about once a day?

But, as far as Metra "doing something" to prevent it, the presumption is that people should know that a railroad is a dangerous instrumentality, and look and listen. The reports of the accident in Bensenville (ABC7) is that the women left the car despite her husband saying not to, to race across the tracks in front of an express train. Given the brain dead who try this, plus the suicides by train (need I name a name?) the only thing Metra could do about this is grade separate all crossings, which apparently Illinois does not have the billions to do. We discussed this in connection with the angled Grand Ave. crossing in Elmwood Park not being replaced.

However, I don't know if Metra is really doing a good job alerting the public when a train is approaching.

I don't know how much more you want Metra to do. It's the person's stupidity for not heeding flashing lights and down gates. It only takes a Metra probably less than 2 minutes to clear a crossing. People's biggest problem is most likely with Freight Trains that also come through the area and hold up the crossing for 5-15 minutes, depending on speed and train length. These accident victims first thoughts were probably "Oh God, a Frieght Train is coming. I'll have to wait probably ten minutes or more for it to pass. But I think I have enough time to get around the tracks." Bottom line people, DEAL WITH IT!!! I feel no remorse for anyone stupid enough to drive, run, walk around lowered gates because they don't want to wait. I don't like Freight Train lengths, but I don't go around lowered gates and flashing lights.

Hinsdale, Barrignton and Bensenville... those accident locations are probably areas where Metra, Freight and maybe even Amtrak share tracks. I'm not familiar with those suburbs.

Here's an example I'm sure most seen: Video

One more example: Dumb driver in Hammond doesn't want to wait for incoming Freight Train, so she decides to race around the gates, but a suprise awaits her: Video

Hinsdale, Barrignton and Bensenville... those accident locations are probably areas where Metra, Freight and maybe even Amtrak share tracks. I'm not familiar with those suburbs.

Yes. Also, my impression when being around Downers Grove (or essentially anywhere around there) is that the Metra expresses are really speeding through there, while locals are nearby on the outer tracks. The combination really has the main streets tied up in Downers Grove and Westmont.

One more example: Dumb driver in Hammond doesn't want to wait for incoming Freight Train, so she decides to race around the gates, but a suprise awaits her: Video

I don't know if this is the same one,* but it was reported that some woman sped through the South Shore parking lot in Hammond to try to beat a train, and failed. The incident was picked up by parking lot surveillance cameras.

*I cancelled my Google sign-in when it started generating spam on my Yahoo account.

the only thing Metra could do about this is grade separate all crossings, which apparently Illinois does not have the billions to do. We discussed this in connection with the angled Grand Ave. crossing in Elmwood Park not being replaced.

Grand Ave. and Conti Pkwy has to be one of the most dangerous crossings in IL, if not the U.S. Three tracks on an angled crossing with traffic signals stopping cars and trucks on the tracks a lot of times is indeed dangerous. There should be a traffic light before the tracks that is in sync with the one just beyond it. When the one in front goes red, it does too and keeps the traffic behind the tracks waiting until the next clear green is given. The only time these lights work out of sync is when a train approaches the crossing. The light beyond the tracks turns green while the one behind the tracks holds red, keeping the tracks clear until the train(s) pass.

Yes. Also, my impression when being around Downers Grove (or essentially anywhere around there) is that the Metra expresses are really speeding through there, while locals are nearby on the outer tracks. The combination really has the main streets tied up in Downers Grove and Westmont.

Yep, the express do speed around the area on the middle track. I pass by there frequently and thru the Fairview Ave station every morning.

From reading the story, the man walked around the down gates. The crossing lights and sounds were working at the time. Again, I won't question anyone stupidity. It's sad to me that people simply can't wait to get to where they need to go. I'm sure nobody has the money to hire police to man the railroad areas although sometimes at the Fairview stop, I'll see an unmarked police car from DG sitting on the other side of the curb waiting for cars and people to cross before the gates are fully up. That's a BIG ticket waiting to happen. I don't know, it just seems like it's been happening more often than it should be, but I realize Metra really can't do much of anything. Imagine the engineers that has to see that happening right in front of them......gives me the chills.

Sorry if I offend some by saying this, but these people are dead because they failed to use plain and simple common sense! Some have this mentality that "it wont happen to them!" I cant feel any pity for these indivduals because they performed a dangerous act without any regard for their safety or the safety of others! Its one thing if people jump infront of a train to save a persons life, but when you perform a reckless act jeopardizing your own safety just to make a train then youre just plain stupid!

The worst part is that it will happen again!!! People will continue to lack common sense and ignore the bells and lights, they will get injured or killed by Metra trains.

Sorry if I offend some by saying this, but these people are dead because they failed to use plain and simple common sense! Some have this mentality that "it wont happen to them!" I cant feel any pity for these indivduals because they performed a dangerous act without any regard for their safety or the safety of others! Its one thing if people jump infront of a train to save a persons life, but when you perform a reckless act jeopardizing your own safety just to make a train then youre just plain stupid!

The worst part is that it will happen again!!! People will continue to lack common sense and ignore the bells and lights, they will get injured or killed by Metra trains.

Overall I agree. Every attempt in the world to "idiot-proof" something, just results in a better idiot being made.

If someone is really foolish enough to jeopardize their life just to save a few minutes time going somewhere, then I suggest they try riding Amtrak. After arriving at the first stop a half-day behind sechedule, they'll never think of a five-ten minute crossing wait as significant ever again!

• Upvote 1

On apartment building WiFi right now, YouTube doesn't stream well, so can't really do much with that video. I remember an accident towards Chicago, around Evanston or that area, where a car stalled out on the tracks, and an older lady driving aparently her mind locked and panicked. A Boy Scout helped her out of the car and got her to safety just as a train hit the car. Then a train going the other way hit the car as well.

Down at the Scout Office in Highland Park, they have a page out of Boys Life magazine framed on the wall, which has a brief retelling of the story in a cartoon drawn style.

Guest ctafan630

I don't understand what more Metra can do especially when people are intentionally doing this. I was on a morning train, as we passed through Lisle, a guy ran accross to the middle track and stood in front of the train. The train operator laid on the horn and applied the emergency brake. Needless to say the train won.

Metra can do a better job of informing its riders of delays and stopping trains before cross over points so a train doesn't have to back up 3 miles to get around an accident when the tracks do open up.

Guest ctafan630

I believe that happened 3-4 years ago. But, as you said, that situation was intentional. Which is probably happening also. No, I'm not going there.

It did happen that long ago. About 95% of those situtaions are intentional. There have only been a couple that I can recall that have not been. One involved a women at Belmont falling under the train as it approached the station. In that case she lived. Another involved a teenager getting sucked under the train because she was standing to close to the edge of the platform as the train zipped on by.

As someone who has been involved, both from the cab at the controls and having to go down and see the end result, there is way to much time spent on the "victim" who either was selfishly out to kill themself (ala Phil Pagano, remember him ?) or just being impatient and/or stupid. All you can do is blow your horn, which most of the time is useless because by the time you react to what you see it's too late, and dump the air...after which it takes at least a half mile to stop....yes 1/2 mile, not on a dime ! AND IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU ARE GOING 70MPH or 30 MPH, your probably going to be dead if you get hit, so the issues of trains going to fast is moot. If the gates are down, the lights flashing and bells ringing and you ignore it, sorry, you get what you deserve. Now, if you want to blame Metra for something, blame them for poor coordination on station announcements that trains are coming. For example, in Des Plaines inbound, the 6 minute announcement seems to be accurate as it appears the train may be in Mount Prospect (headlight in the distance). But the train is arriving announcement is a joke as the gates/lights/bells are non existent, as is the train, since it is still west of DeVal, 2-3 minutes away. I can imagine this is the case at many stations in the system...if something were to happen because of that, then you could possibly blame Metra...but the simple case of someone walking or driving around functioning devices is all on them, plain and simple.

• Upvote 2

I'm not sure how many suicides this would prevent but Metra could sponsor a suicide prevention hotline. The TTC has implemented one with much success. A subway is a much different environment than commuter rail with more limited access, so I'm not sure if the individuals in need of help would even see ads on Metra. Do Metra stations even have pay phones any more? I'm sure they could find places for ads and encourage people to call on cell phones if this program was ever seriously considered.

...Now, if you want to blame Metra for something, blame them for poor coordination on station announcements that trains are coming.....

I thought that was basically only their version of Rail Tracker, for the purpose of announcing that the train is 5 minutes away, but it shows up in 3.

Of course, there are the fun announcements like "the train will be on Track 1" then you cross over and get blown over by an Amtrak, and then the announcement "no, the train will be on Track 2 as usual," so you have to cross over again.

I'm not sure how many suicides this would prevent but Metra could sponsor a suicide prevention hotline.....

For a while, there were Operation Lifesaver public service announcements, and signs posted at some crossings that the local police will arrest drivers or pedestrians who disregard the crossing signals.

But, as trainman implied, when you have the just dismissed Executive Director of Metra committing suicide by a Metra train, the impact gets diluted.

• 4 weeks later...

When are people going to realize to wait for a train to pass a crossing??? Sure it's northwestern suburban Des Plaines, and there is probably a lot a Freight traffic that goes through this crossing(this was a Metra, BTW), but Metra, Amtrak or Freight, wait for the train to pass the gates and lights if they activate, then go!!!

No excuse... I feel no remorse for this person!!! Story

IMO, I think that's the #1 reason people run around crossings. Commuter trains hold up traffic for maybe 1-2 minutes, tops. A Freight train can hold it up for as long as 15 minutes. People at crossings where Commuter and Freight trains run through probably hurry around activated gates for this reason more than any other.

I'll be honest... Freight trains can be lengthy, but I respect them. They could be on that crossing seconds after the gates are fully down, even though they appear to be moving slower than that.

This isn't Metra, but look how close an impatient passenger who misses their train comes to getting severely injured or killed. Video

When are people going to realize to wait for a train to pass a crossing??? Sure it's northwestern suburban Des Plaines, and there is probably a lot a Freight traffic that goes through this crossing(this was a Metra, BTW), but Metra, Amtrak or Freight, wait for the train to pass the gates and lights if they activate, then go!!!

IMO, I think that's the #1 reason people run around crossings. Commuter trains hold up traffic for maybe 1-2 minutes, tops. A Freight train can hold it up for as long as 15 minutes. People at crossings where Commuter and Freight trains run through probably hurry around activated gates for this reason more than any other.

I'll be honest... Freight trains can be lengthy, but I respect them. They could be on that crossing seconds after the gates are fully down, even though they appear to be moving slower than that.

Regarding the video...just stupid.

Regarding the Metra accident, I don't know exactly what happened, especially since it was a pedestrian. Was it suicide? Was he listening to his iPod or texting? The story didn't say, but along this line there have been incidents where there was a train loading in the station with a person walking in front of it to cross the tracks only to be struck by an express train running on the center track. I will wait regardless. I value my life too much.

...Was he listening to his iPod or texting? The story didn't say, but along this line there have been incidents where there was a train loading in the station with a person walking in front of it to cross the tracks only to be struck by an express train running on the center track. ...

One of the stories said it was an express train. Maybe some of us can figure out that not all trains stop at the station but apparently this person didn't, for reasons that won't be disclosed.

I was waiting for the MDN departing LakeForest at 7:48 pm. (NCS 120... Express... Love that train.) Anyhow, Metra announcements indicated the Northbound 2149 was 30-40 mins lake to FoxLake due to a medical emergency. Whats up??? Anyone know ...?

One of the stories said it was an express train. Maybe some of us can figure out that not all trains stop at the station but apparently this person didn't, for reasons that won't be disclosed.

I thought all express trains were supposed to stop short of an unloading metra train at a station. Isn't that a rule? At least that's what they do at River Grove since that one kid got killed that way many years ago.

I thought all express trains were supposed to stop short of an unloading metra train at a station. Isn't that a rule? At least that's what they do at River Grove since that one kid got killed that way many years ago.

If nothing else, both the UP NW and BNSF are three track lines, and the expresses certainly don't stop. Stand somewhere like Downers Grove and see the trains wailing through there.

Even the Milw N, while 2 track, does not stop; there is a platform message to wait for the next train.

Freights don't stop, and there was once a letter in On the BiiLevel that a freight always blocks access to one train at Glenview, to which the answer was get to the station earlier.

For instance, a rush hour express to Lake Cook Road is 32 minutes, while the local is 48. If the train had to stop at each station, or at least each meet every 10 minutes, it couldn't make up the 16 minutes.

The River Grove rule seems to be local trains in both directions, although what I have seen elsewhere (such as at Lake Cook where there is a pedestrian crossing in the middle of the platform) is that the first train waits and blocks the crossing until the second train is done,then they leave together.

There is very little freight traffic on the UP-NW line and most of what there is turns off at Cumberland (Seeger) southwards to Proviso on the Milwaukee Sub and does not pass through downtown Des Plaines. The only freight through Des Plaines station would be a local tripper from North Ave Yard which runs as required, off peak, and rarely has more than 6-10 freight cars.

Daily Herald was reporting authorities that he stepped in front of the train and they believed it to be a suicide.

• Upvote 1