A decommissioned CTA Flxible bus now works in fresh moves mobile produce market

The right place:

As noted above, and in the cited Tribune article, Fresh Moves lost its federal funding, and couldn't come close to breaking even. Since the article says that CTA sold the 3 buses for $1 each, this seems like another instance of CTA taking someone else's property off their hands for its own junk pile.

Also CTA5750 documented about here about the origin of Fresh Moves and that he was a driver for them. At the time I had commented that I didn't see how one can operate it economically with old buses that get maybe 3 mph on diesel.

I believe this is a typo.... I hope anyway otherwise a lawnmower could outrun these 6000's! :o:P:lol:

I think you mean 3 mpg on diesel.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

There was some program last night on one of the WTTW subchannels showing the inside of 6127. However, when someone then started ranting about the lack of food is racism, I turned it off.

Wow.... I can't help it but to laugh about it. If that person was really desperate for food, why not get on Metra's snack car?!?! :)

Wow.... I can't help it but to laugh about it. If that person was really desperate for food, why not get on Metra's snack car?!?! :)

I thought Metra quit running them, or was that the bar cars?

I also don't think there was any shortage of snacks around where Fresh Moves was operating.

I thought Metra quit running them, or was that the bar cars?

I also don't think there was any shortage of snacks around where Fresh Moves was operating.

The bar and snack cars, yeah Metra indeed killed them in 2008. People weren't taking much advantage with the Fresh Moves buses, in which I find that very disheartening but every business isn't made to be successful all the time. It's either they weren't operating around the city or nobody were that much interested.

The bar and snack cars, yeah Metra indeed killed them in 2008. People weren't taking much advantage with the Fresh Moves buses, in which I find that very disheartening but every business isn't made to be successful all the time. It's either they weren't operating around the city or nobody were that much interested.

Of course there is the question of how much word was getting out about Fresh Moves' activities beyond what some us transit enthusiasts might have discovered for picture taking opportunities as far as one of the individual buses were concerned or beyond the few initial stories in the papers and a few local online media outlets after Fresh Moves initially got the buses from CTA. I used to live near one of the West Side locations that one of the buses would show up, and few of the folks who did grab any of the items from the bus even the bus would be coming around until after they saw the bus and wonder what was going on at the bus that seemed to be attracting the little activity it got from what I observed.

Of course there is the question of how much word was getting out about Fresh Moves' activities beyond what some us transit enthusiasts might have discovered for picture taking opportunities as far as one of the individual buses were concerned or beyond the few initial stories in the papers and a few local online media outlets after Fresh Moves initially got the buses from CTA. I used to live near one of the West Side locations that one of the buses would show up, and few of the folks who did grab any of the items from the bus even the bus would be coming around until after they saw the bus and wonder what was going on at the bus that seemed to be attracting the little activity it got from what I observed.

I saw one of them by a elementary school on Central and Augusta most of the time. I don't know where the other two was located yet but I feel like they could have done a better job when it comes to geographical preferences by all means.

• 3 months later...

What eventually became of the Fresh Moves Flxibles? They were abandoned at Chicago Bus & Truck at Pulaski/34th, and when CB&T moved out to Central and 75th they were dragged to South Shops, where all three sat along 79th St for a while, then disappeared. Did CTA scrap them? Did somebody else retrieve them, as apparently they were not CTA's property any more, and they landed at South Shops simply because CB&T did not know what else to do with them?

• 4 weeks later...

Tribune article that Emanuel is trying to bring Fresh Moves back. Besides having a city hall functionary run it and saying it might work with local produce, they are using a bookmobile instead of a retired CTA bus.

Well, they're still some Optimas in the yard but if they have to deal with the beat up Novas then be my guest!

Tribune article that Emanuel is trying to bring Fresh Moves back. Besides having a city hall functionary run it and saying it might work with local produce, they are using a bookmobile instead of a retired CTA bus.

i don't know. It soUnds like it gulps money $200k loss for the last year of fresh moves operations? No wonder it folded. They have to find ways to be more productive and have less finiancial loss or they will be stuck at 1st base. Lots of grants is good for a startup but where is a food desert nowadays. Things have changed since the 90's we have Wal marts in Chatham and Pullman. The west side has new stores. Pete's got a nice store at Madison/Western. I don't know if we really need a fresh moves now.

Edited by BusHunter

... The west side has new stores. Pete's got a nice store at Madison/Western. I don't know if we really need a fresh moves now.

The issue in the former target area was that a junk food store replaced the Dominick's at Roosevelt and Kedzie. But I have said before that if there were a demand for produce, some Greek would have met it. Similar issue that about the only Dominick's that hasn't been replaced (other than in Du Page County) is at 71st and Jeffery.

5750 can confirm the area they tried to serve the last time.

Two, probably all 3, are back at Bus & Truck in Bedford Park on Central at 74th. It appears that B&T did some work on them when B&T was still at Pulaski/34th, and ended up with a mechanic's lien (unpaid bill) on them. When B&T moved to Bedford Park, one night they dragged them to South Shops hoping CTA would take them off B&T's hands. However, CTA promptly ordered B&T to take them back as CTA does not own them any more. So there they sit in BP, waiting for their fate.

Two, probably all 3, are back at Bus & Truck in Bedford Park on Central at 74th. It appears that B&T did some work on them when B&T was still at Pulaski/34th, and ended up with a mechanic's lien (unpaid bill) on them. When B&T moved to Bedford Park, one night they dragged them to South Shops hoping CTA would take them off B&T's hands. However, CTA promptly ordered B&T to take them back as CTA does not own them any more. So there they sit in BP, waiting for their fate.

Well if CTA doesn't own or want them anymore, maybe someone who really wants a Flxible that badly can buy one from Bus & Truck.... couple of problems with that....

• Insurance: Any vehicle will require insurance in case an accident happens. And I'm sure insuring a 40' bus is pretty expensive
  • Special License Required: Owner will have to have a CDL in order to operate the bus and will have to get commercial plates for the bus because of it's size and weight.
  • Maintenance: I'm pretty sure these buses need a lot of work to be operable and road-ready. I'd imagine they have 750,000 miles on them or more now and who knows what may be needed in the short and long-term for the engine & transmission, as well as suspension, airbags, air brakes, etc... Also, you can't take this bus to Midas or Car-X for repairs... you'll need to have it towed via wrecker if you can't drive it to a Diesel Mechanic Shop to diagnose and repair the bus. And a Detroit Diesel Series-50 could be pricey to fix.
  • Parking: Whoever owns it has to park it somewhere, and you can't park a ex-CTA bus on a residential street and not expect it to be ticketed. Garages are way too small for it, so parking may be a problem for a potential buyer

But I'm sure if somebody went to Bus and Truck and inquired about a bus and was able to purchase it from them for a reasonable price, I'm sure they would sell it, and I don't think the CTA can stop the sale or sue Bus and Truck, as they promptly ordered them to take them off of South Shops as they don't own them anymore.

A Fire Dept website showing one of the CFD's engines (51) at Bus & truck 5/11/15 shows a "Fresh Moves" Flx next to it. So it would appear CTA told B&T to take them back???

It seems those Flxibles spend a lot of time at Bus/Truck. Ive noticed them there quite a bit too. The CFD Engine #51 is the fire engine used on the NBC tv show "Chicago Fire"

• 2 months later...

Are we talking 3000-3238 Flxible buses or 3238-3699 Flxible buses or the 8700-8849 Flxible propanes that are used in the mobile produce market?

No. 6000s. Fresh Moves itself wasn't such a good idea; running 50 year old buses, even if still around would have been a worse one.

Actually plating would be less of a problem than you might think. Any vehicle over 20 years can be plated as an "antique". Only then you can't use it for anything commercial - i.e. you can't run a trip and charge any kind of fare except maybe a "donation". Also, there are restrictions on yearly mileage, and some stuff about how often it can be used. However, most "preserved" buses are plated as antiques. Not sure if you need a CDL to drive an antique or not. CDL's basically are intended for commercial vehicle driving, an antique is definitely not that. Besides, you do not need a CDL to drive even a 40-foot motor home. Storage is only one real option - an RV/camper yard, of which there are plenty around in the suburbs.

Actually plating would be less of a problem than you might think. Any vehicle over 20 years can be plated as an "antique". Only then you can't use it for anything commercial - i.e. you can't run a trip and charge any kind of fare except maybe a "donation". Also, there are restrictions on yearly mileage, and some stuff about how often it can be used. However, most "preserved" buses are plated as antiques. Not sure if you need a CDL to drive an antique or not. CDL's basically are intended for commercial vehicle driving, an antique is definitely not that. Besides, you do not need a CDL to drive even a 40-foot motor home. Storage is only one real option - an RV/camper yard, of which there are plenty around in the suburbs.

Here's some info about CDL requirements from Illinois. So looks like yes, a CDL will be required.

Vehicles Requiring a CDL

• Any combination of vehicles with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, providing the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
  • Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more, or any such vehicle towing another not in excess of 10,000 pounds.
  • Any vehicle, regardless of size, designed to transport 16 or more persons, including the driver.
  • Any vehicle, regardless of size, required by federal regulations to be placarded while transporting hazardous materials.

Here's some info about CDL requirements from Illinois. So looks like yes, a CDL will be required.

Vehicles Requiring a CDL

• Any combination of vehicles with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, providing the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
  • Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more, or any such vehicle towing another not in excess of 10,000 pounds.
  • Any vehicle, regardless of size, designed to transport 16 or more persons, including the driver.
  • Any vehicle, regardless of size, required by federal regulations to be placarded while transporting hazardous materials.

Only the third (and maybe the fourth bullet points in terms of some CNG powered buses and the UIC Bluebird shuttle buses come to mind here on that point) appear relevant. The first two bullet points by context appear to be apply to medium and larger size trucks that are in commercial use.