Metra Electric Highliners

New Flyer

Does anyone know which runs of the day still use the old highliner cars on the Metra Electric Line?

I would love to do another ride on them before they are fully retired.

The best chance to do so would be on Wednesday or Thursday after the rush hour through midday. This is because it is "dump day" for new cars at the yard...they need to go to the yard for potty cleaning. Other than that it is really a crap shoot (no pun) as it is up to the yardmaster at Randolph street to set up equipment. I can tell you that the 9:20 to South Chicago (come and see me) more often than not has old equipment except on Fridays. Art's comment is correct...the 7 car train is #131 and departs at 4:08 from track 2.

• Upvote 1

There are still plenty runs with the old equip. There is that odd 7 car train that leaves Randolph sometime during the 4 p.m. hour. .don't know the run (train) number.

The best chance to do so would be on Wednesday or Thursday after the rush hour through midday. This is because it is "dump day" for new cars at the yard...they need to go to the yard for potty cleaning. Other than that it is really a crap shoot (no pun) as it is up to the yardmaster at Randolph street to set up equipment. I can tell you that the 9:20 to South Chicago (come and see me) more often than not has old equipment except on Fridays. Art's comment is correct...the 7 car train is #131 and departs at 4:08 from track 2.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I love these railcars. I hope Metra does a retirement event like the CTA did with the 2200's.

Or like they did with the C & NW cars. Sell them and buy them back when they need more!!!

Main question there is beside the rust issue in either case, does any other system run stuff like that? Apparently they can't be trained with trailer cars on a diesel train.

Main question there is beside the rust issue in either case, does any other system run stuff like that? Apparently they can't be trained with trailer cars on a diesel train.

Anything CAN be done. LIRR's original double-deckers (C1's) were retired when the production order came because they were incompatible, and had mu-car style couplers and HEP, so only the rebuilt FL9's could pull them. Well, Iowa Pacific bought them and rebuilt them with normal couplers and now run them in tourist service in Iowa mixed with regular cars. So I suppose the highliners could be redone to couple to other equipment, but why bother?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Got a couple of new cars for the first time since July (1305-06). I guess we'll start seeing

them coming in again.

These two were supposed to be the last two of the first batch of 80 (1227-1306). One wonders if there was a problem with lack of parts like delayed the last three Philly SL-5's for several months...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone mentioned this before, but a couple of weeks ago, I saw a line of the old Highliners parked just east of the Tri-State, north of Ill. 176.

I think that was partially the North Shore Line right of way, along with a Class 1, I can't remember.

That was mentioned before (the area is known as Rondout, and is part of the Milwaukee district).

Others had mentioned that there were a bunch of them stored at the Pfingsten/Kates bridge in Deerfield, and while they were there, they are now gone. Hence, I don't know if the Rondout ones are the same cars previously reported or more recent ones.

The North Shore right of way was along Skokie Highway (U.S. 41), although the Mundelein branch ran on the embankment south of and parallel to Rt. 176.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I passed by the N=S plant in Rochelle today. There were about 4 Highliner cars that were covered in the yard at the west end of the plant and three new Metra cars that appeared to be ready to go at the end of the tracks at the east end of the plant. The east end cars were separate and one was on a separate track.

1313-14 at 18th street this morning. Could not tell what they were attached to, whether stuff previously delivered or new 1315-1316. I'll keep my eyes open for 15-16. Bulletin out last week that states 1500-1600 series on6 t fast track to retirement. Not sure if that means a rush of new stuff will come in, or if there will be a shortage. Announced in bulletin that Harvey zone trains being reduced from 6 to 4 cars.

1313-14 at 18th street this morning. Could not tell what they were attached to, whether stuff previously delivered or new 1315-1316. I'll keep my eyes open for 15-16. Bulletin out last week that states 1500-1600 series on6 t fast track to retirement. Not sure if that means a rush of new stuff will come in, or if there will be a shortage. Announced in bulletin that Harvey zone trains being reduced from 6 to 4 cars.

Are the car reductions on the Harvey zone due to lower ridership or lack of equipment?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got back from a roadtrip over to Mendota Ill. Stopped by the rail station serving Amtrak/BNSF. I found some historic rail equipment including two ex-Metra Highliners #1601 and #1629 still in the original IC colors (faded). I did snap a few shots of them. Will post them asap!

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from a roadtrip over to Mendota Ill. Stopped by the rail station serving Amtrak/BNSF. I found some historic rail equipment including two ex-Metra Highliners #1601 and #1629 still in the original IC colors (faded). I did snap a few shots of them. Will post them asap!

Up to 1320 now

It sounds like with the progressive receivership of the Nippon Sharyos, the "old" Highliners are starting to fade out from revenue service. I'm planning to visit home in June or July. Since I'll be staying in Matteson, IL with my mother, I will definitely have a number of occasions to take the IC into the city. It looks like the vast majority of schedules may be run by 1200-1300 series.