Metra Electric Highliners

New Flyer

14 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

Which is the train (or trains) that have seven cars? Looks odd with the end car facing same direction as the one next to it!

That's always the 6:08 p.m. departure to University Park.  Some days it will run with seven cars, but lately it's been running with eight.   I was on this route last week and noticed some of the rush hour University Park zone trains are still running with four cars.  It's amazing they are still running with four cars considering how many spares this line has.

17 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

Which is the train (or trains) that have seven cars? Looks odd with the end car facing same direction as the one next to it!

In the morning, Train 742 from University Park has 7 cars. In the afternoon, train 131 (4:08 departure) from Millenium uses 7 cars.

Train 139 (the 6:08 departure)uses 8 cars. This and occasionally 1 other night train will use the 8 to position cars on the south end.

The 4 car trains are primarily Harvey Zone trains in both directions. There is one Flossmoor Zone (train 738) that uses 4 in the morning.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, trainman8119 said:

In the morning, Train 742 from University Park has 7 cars. In the afternoon, train 131 (4:08 departure) from Millenium uses 7 cars.

Train 139 (the 6:08 departure)uses 8 cars. This and occasionally 1 other night train will use the 8 to position cars on the south end.

The 4 car trains are primarily Harvey Zone trains in both directions. There is one Flossmoor Zone (train 738) that uses 4 in the morning.

I can't remember how many ME stations there are that can berth 8 car trains.   The downtown stations,  57th,  and Kensington I know for sure,  because they berthed the 8 car SS trains.   I don't recall Richton Park nor University Park being able to do so.  I know that none of the branch stations can berth 8 cars,  and most of the mainlines between 63rd and 115th only berth 2.

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I can't remember how many ME stations there are that can berth 8 car trains.   The downtown stations,  57th,  and Kensington I know for sure,  because they berthed the 8 car SS trains.   I don't recall Richton Park nor University Park being able to do so.  I know that none of the branch stations can berth 8 cars,  and most of the mainlines between 63rd and 115th only berth 2.

Issue probably gets down to Harvey and Homewood.

However, since the cars have vestibules, the conductor can announce "you may depart only from the first 4 cars," as is announced all over the system (such as Grayland and Healy on the Milw.N.). Of course, @trainman8119 can speak more authoritatively.

14 hours ago, Busjack said:

Issue probably gets down to Harvey and Homewood.

However, since the cars have vestibules, the conductor can announce "you may depart only from the first 4 cars," as is announced all over the system (such as Grayland and Healy on the Milw.N.). Of course, @trainman8119 can speak more authoritatively.

Harvey is barely a 6 car platform and most trains only open 5 there. Announcements should be made when specific cars are being used at stations.

16 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Train 139 will usually only operate 6 of the 8 cars. The two extra are just being dragged to get the equipment to the south end. You would be correct on the 3 stations that could hold 8. 63rd is 5, Harvey is 5 (or a very tight 6) and the rest can squeeze 7 (except Olympia Fields)

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/27/2016 at 0:21 AM, andrethebusman said:

I thought the Metra Electric did not allow the operation of trains longer than 6 cars? I know as far as the South Shore is concerned, the bilevel trains are never longer than 6 cars and the single level trains that are longer than 6 cars have 1 or 2 trailers (200 series) to complete the consist.

21 hours ago, juelzkellz said:

I thought the Metra Electric did not allow the operation of trains longer than 6 cars?

@trainman8119 said otherwise, and he works it. I suppose you can take 2 cars running empty as you want.

NICTD runs 6 car trains because it has 12 cars and a couple of spares.

ME has been running a couple? of 7 car trains for a long time, apparently always the same ones mentioned earlier.

The St Louis and BBD galleries were not quite identical. Minor details like SLC's having destination signs (disconnected VERY early) and BBD's not. Most noticeable though was the SLC's were very smooth sided, wile BBD's were "bubbly" since they were new.

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 11:10 AM, juelzkellz said:

I thought the Metra Electric did not allow the operation of trains longer than 6 cars? I know as far as the South Shore is concerned, the bilevel trains are never longer than 6 cars and the single level trains that are longer than 6 cars have 1 or 2 trailers (200 series) to complete the consist.

Any trains longer than 6 cars must be operated in low rate. Also, propulsion on the number more than 6 must be cut out.  Not all of the 8 car South Shore trains have trailers and they also would have to have 2 cars isolated/cut out if the consist is that way. I believe the reason their bi-levels are max 6 cars is because of the number of types of these cars they have and they just keep their consists together.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Busjack said:

Is that because nobody has updated the substations?

This goes all the way back to when I started at least (2000) that I know of. Right now, the new equipment has the potential

to trip the breakers when you make up or break up a cab. The yard was getting shorted out 5-6 times a day for awhile. Now

they have bulletins on how to break up a cab without tripping the power.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/22/2016 at 8:50 AM, Busjack said:

NICTD May minutes indicate that they acquired an old Metra Highliner to give to South Bend for firefighter training. Seems like a similar setup to the one in Glenview.

I did get a picture of Highliner METX 1651 during a trip to Michigan City about 2 months ago. I was surprised to see it in the Carroll Avenue Yard and didn't know why it was there at the time.

Old Metra Electric Highliner Train in the NICTD South Shore Line Carroll Avenue YardOld Metra Electric Highliner Train in the NICTD South Shore Line Carroll Avenue Yard

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, richii0909 said:

Old high liners have made their way back to kyd from millennium yard and newly purchased VRE cars are hooked up and standing at KYD yard... will update any new changes in the next 30 minutes 

One of the 3 is left on the west end of the yard. I believe the other 2 are in the house for whatever they are going to do with them.

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 2:08 PM, richii0909 said:

Today metra moved old highliners from kyd to millennium station yard... about 4 cars... I wonder whats next for these

They moved 4 from KYD to 18th Street on Friday with a switch engine. Nobody really knows why other than perhaps to make a weather ice breaker type of move which never happened, they just sat in the yard with the switch engine being put in the house. They were in the yard Friday, Saturday and Sunday, got graffitied up Saturday night or Sunday night and were taken back to KYD where they are back to where they were before they left.

• Upvote 2

Good info and thank you for that.... Why did they bother with the switch engine... are the drive units in these shot.. I mean they have them on the line.. was curious. Also do you have any other information about the new looking highliner that looks to be a shell in KYD? Also any info on the concrete side walls put on the out drive side of the garage. Pictures below of the graffitied cars if anyones curious

IMG_1982.JPG

IMG_1996.JPG

IMG_2002.JPG

IMG_2010.JPG

The shell of a highliner you speak of is a 8200 Budd in for rehab. They do most of the coach rehabs there. There  was an 8200 (old cab car) outside the past couple of days, which is probably the shell you saw, and they just took a 7200 (which also had some graffiti on it) inside yesterday. 8460 is also outside there, not sure if it is in for rehab or if it is there for something else.

• 1 month later...

For the past couple of days one of the newer diesel engines has been in the KYD yard... Locomotive 410.. trainman8119 what is going on with this?  Also on 211th stop on southwest side of platform near last exit... some type of motion camera with an possible cellular antenna has been installed. So far I only saw one on the whole platform.

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 1:57 AM, richii0909 said:

For the past couple of days one of the newer diesel engines has been in the KYD yard... Locomotive 410.. trainman8119 what is going on with this?  Also on 211th stop on southwest side of platform near last exit... some type of motion camera with an possible cellular antenna has been installed. So far I only saw one on the whole platform.

When the MP36 engines undergo rehab at 47th Street on the Rock, they are moved to KYD for painting. I would assume what you are talking about at 211th street would probably have something to do with the positive train control being installed. I've seen them working there, but nobody knows for sure what is going on, but that would be my guess.

• 6 months later...

Passed by KYD and notice a diesel gallery card in the yard... looked like a bathroom car but the side of it look like a bomb went off. I tried to get a picture but was unable to.. any info?   Also anyone know whats going on with the old highlanders at KYD... they broke up the 4 car train and then few days later put them back parked at the front of KYD.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 0:33 AM, richii0909 said:

Passed by KYD and notice a diesel gallery card in the yard... looked like a bathroom car but the side of it look like a bomb went off. I tried to get a picture but was unable to.. any info?   Also anyone know whats going on with the old highlanders at KYD... they broke up the 4 car train and then few days later put them back parked at the front of KYD.

Nothing official here, but my theory of exactly what that is. The car you refer to is 7421. There was a derailment at the 14th Street yard on the BNSF a few weeks back. My guess is that car got cut up in the derailment and is sitting at KYD for repair. Its been there since shortly after that incident, so my reason for the explanation I have.  Also, 8460 has been sitting there for a few months too, but not moving. I assume it is a rehab, but cant figure out why it is being ignored. They have been moving cars from south to north and north to south. Don't know why they feel the need to move stuff around just for the sake of moving it. In the meantime, during the past week or so, the 4 cars you speak of have been moved to the yard at Van Buren Street downtown.

Ok makes sense and yes I did see the old Highliners parked by Van Bruen. Metra should just have KYD do a refurb on the old Highliner.. I know money wise it would be not practical but at least be cool to run the train every once in a while like CTA does some times. On the north line I was able to ride on an KYD rehabbed car and I must say they are nice and comfy. Also the smell inside is like a BMW or Mercedes.. very refreshing indeed. Also what is the plan for the old highliners sitting the MD-NW siding.... they are just rotting away.