Cermak Green Line Station

jtrosario

Fox32 just had a story that da Mare is having a groundbreaking ceremony today.

Proving my point on what Chicagoans think are the rail lines, Joanie Lum said, "here comes the Green line train now" and "because the Red Line is shut down, riders have to go to Roosevelt or 35th to catch the Green Line." Of course, the train that passed did not have fluted sides, so, in current CTA lingo, it was a Red Line train.

But if you want to see the Mayor today, that's your chance.

Narrowing the focus of your point a bit, it definitely shows how much Chicago reporters think they know about CTA rail lines. Your example reminds me of the collision that occurred a few years back between a 4-car Brown Line train and a Purple Line Express on one of the curves near Division and Robin Baumgarten, who was still the WGN morning traffic reporter at the time before her rise to being a full anchor after Roseanne Tellez moved to Channel 2, reported in breaking news that a 10-car CTA train had derailed. We all knew there is no such thing as a 10-car train on any of the CTA lines. And the CTA spokesperson at the time corrected her on air and said what appeared to have to happened was a collision between a late morning Purple Line Express and non-peak Brown Line train, the force of which caused the two trains to couple together. The question at that preliminary stage was whether the derailment was the cause of the collision or the result of it.

And of course, the Chicago media's lack of knowledge of CTA rail lines is what fueled the impression that there is no Red Line service south of Roosevelt during the current shutdown when truth of the matter is they're rerouted.

Narrowing the focus of your point a bit, it definitely shows how much Chicago reporters think they know about CTA rail lines. Your example reminds me of the collision that occurred a few years back between a 4-car Brown Line train and a Purple Line Express on one of the curves near Division and Robin Baumgarten, who was still the WGN morning traffic reporter at the time before her rise to being a full anchor after Roseanne Tellez moved to Channel 2, reported in breaking news that a 10-car CTA train had derailed. We all knew there is no such thing as a 10-car train on any of the CTA lines. And the CTA spokesperson at the time corrected her on air and said what appeared to have to happened was a collision between a late morning Purple Line Express and non-peak Brown Line train, the force of which caused the two trains to couple together. The question at that preliminary stage was whether the derailment was the cause of the collision or the result of it.

And of course, the Chicago media's lack of knowledge of CTA rail lines is what fueled the impression that there is no Red Line service south of Roosevelt during the current shutdown when truth of the matter is they're rerouted.

To be far Busjack did point out Les Grobstein did say There was no Red Line train to US Cellular Field.

To be far Busjack did point out Les Grobstein did say There was no Red Line train to US Cellular Field.

Yes true but I was speaking in broader terms outside of the Sox ballpark. And even in that case, the Grobstein's statement isn't entirely true as we know that folks going to or coming from a home Sox game still have access to the Red Line this year by walking roughly two extra standard city blocks further east than they normally would.

The

Cermak-Green Line was 50 million.I guess somebody political pals wasn't

making enough money.So they found other stuff to make it 92 million.

Do you have a source?

The recent news reports, such as ABC7, state $50 million.

Maybe you are basing it on NBC5, which was reporting on other projects (apparently, though on the near south side) and also the groundbreaking of the Bloomingdale trail.

Do you have a source?

The recent news reports, such as ABC7, state $50 million.

Maybe you are basing it on NBC5, which was reporting on other projects (apparently, though on the near south side) and also the groundbreaking of the Bloomingdale trail.

This is the CTA Press Release on it

http://www.transitchicago.com/news/default.aspx?Month=&Year=&Category=2&ArticleId=3204

I'm almost certain this was done to be ready when Depaul has its taxpayer stadium.

Thanks. But at least the quoted press release itemized where the rest of the money is going. Whether it fixes anything may be a different question, but the press release indicates mostly sidewalk level work at Roosevelt, as opposed to dealing with the rapid transit stations themselves.

• 1 month later...

For those who were asking "why did they start work on this project while the Red Line reroutes are still in effect," apparently reopening the Red Line gives them the opportunity to close parts of the Green Line, as there are upcoming alerts for bus shuttles between Roosevelt and 35th on the weekends starting Oct 25 and Nov. 1.

"Service is affected due to the construction of the new Cermak-McCormick Place station and structural maintenance work."

• Upvote 3

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Here's the progress of the station so far. The lady behind me had me dying laughing! :lol:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7tawcjmfcb54772/2014-08-26%2010.30.57.mov?dl=0

Couldn't quite figure her out, except for the "Blue Line, Orange Line" stuff. But it doesn't appear to be any reason why the train can't stop there now. Sure. :rolleyes:

Here's the progress of the station so far. The lady behind me had me dying laughing! :lol:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7tawcjmfcb54772/2014-08-26%2010.30.57.mov?dl=0

Nice. I see they had the frame of one of the tubes similar to the big Tube through IIT campus north of 35th station done. As for the lady, if she wants to get off the train there go ahead. But she better not forget her hard hat and construction credentials. :lol:

Couldn't quite figure her out, except for the "Blue Line, Orange Line" stuff. But it doesn't appear to be any reason why the train can't stop there now. Sure. :rolleyes:

Nice. I see they had the frame of one of the tubes similar to the big Tube through IIT campus north of 35th station done. As for the lady, if she wants to get off the train there go ahead. But she better not forget her hard hat and construction credentials. :lol:

At the end, she said cta is richer than Bill Cosby! I wanted to laugh so hard! :lol:

I didn't pay attention to the tubes until you brought it up jajuan in which they are very similar to the one at 35th.

At the end, she said cta is richer than Bill Cosby! I wanted to laugh so hard! :lol:

I didn't pay attention to the tubes until you brought it up jajuan in which they are very similar to the one at 35th.

I was wondering how you kept it together so well because she was hilarious in her little speech. :lol:

I don't think Bill Cosby goes around crying to the FTA or RTA.

I did see the hoops in the background, but wasn't sure that was connected with this, but I see that others figured it out.

• 1 month later...

Here's some shots I took of the Cermak-McCormick Place Green line station taken from street level on Cermak. Kind of cool!! You can see how they plan to support the decorative canopy with the concrete foundations around the "L" columns. Should look cool when it's done!!

post-304-0-12093200-1412229599_thumb.png

post-304-0-98855400-1412229669_thumb.png

post-304-0-34132800-1412229733_thumb.png

post-304-0-59425000-1412229794_thumb.png

post-304-0-16837200-1412229847_thumb.png

post-304-0-55220200-1412229913_thumb.png

post-304-0-82752300-1412229991_thumb.png

• Upvote 1

Here's some shots I took of the Cermak-McCormick Place Green line station taken from street level on Cermak. Kind of cool!! You can see how they plan to support the decorative canopy with the concrete foundations around the "L" columns. Should look cool when it's done!!

green line cermak station 9-30-14 NE view.PNG

green line stationhouse and station nw side view.PNG

green line concrete foundation over cermak.PNG

green line main decorative canopy putting on roofing.PNG

green line se view.PNG

green line south west side view 1.PNG

green line south side stationhouse behind trees.PNG

Thanks! I enjoy seeing the progress on the station.

Thanks! I enjoy seeing the progress on the station.

There supposed to be lifting the decorative center span this weekend over Cermak. Took a walk past there again, they already have a crane setup with these huge bands around the structure. There going to have their hands full if this wind keeps up. Might be something cool to see if someone wants to check it out.

Kind of weird I noticed that structure on the inside already has the metal placards where they will affix the station signs in the future and advertizements. i wonder why they are putting those on now before it goes up. it would seem to be adding weight to the structure.

The use of concrete reminds me of Seattle's light rail system. They use a lot of concrete over there too. Photo

The use of concrete reminds me of Seattle's light rail system. They use a lot of concrete over there too. Photo

CTA has essentially used concrete since 1969, even around existing steel structures, such as the bump out when the Addison station platform was put between tracks 2 and 3. All of the (fairly worthless) New Start consultants' reports show "modern elevated structures" on concrete columns. The only question is whether they are like the Pink Line with steel beams on concrete supports.

• 1 month later...