Cermak Green Line Station

jtrosario

Thought it would open on February 6th based on this alert

#21 Cermak Bus Stop Relocation

Effective 7am, Fri, Feb 6

How does this affect my trip?
The eastbound #21 Cermak stops at the southwest corners of Cermak/State and Cermak/Wabash, and the westbound stop located at the northeast corner of Cermak/State, will be relocated mid-block on Cermak between State and Wabash.

Board #21 Cermak buses in both directions in front of the new Cermak-McCormick Place Green Line station.

Why is service being changed?
Bus stops are being relocated for the convenience of customers transferring between #21 Cermak buses and the Green Line at the new Cermak-McCormick Place station.

But if it does open Sunday (which would be appropriate being a new week), The Rahm and Crew will do an official Opening ceremony Monday morning.

The station opening is not listed in the service changes or the upcoming alerts. How come?

Sunday, February 08, 2015 - 5:00 AM

to TBD

Impact Level:

Special Note

Full Description:

How does this affect my trip?

The new Cermak-McCormick Place station on the Green Line will be open for service. This station will be accessible to customers with disabilities and include these customer convenient features:

Three entrances, for convenient access and bus transfers – a staffed main entrance on the north side of Cermak Road, an auxiliary farecard entrance on the south side of Cermak Road, and a staffed entrance at 23rd Street

Farecard vending machines at all three entrances

An island platform featuring full canopy coverage, heaters, and benches

Bright lighting and security cameras throughout the station

New signage, including digital displays, neighborhood maps and Braille

Bike racks at all three entrances

Convenient access to McCormick Place, Motor Row, and other Near South Side destinations

• Upvote 1

Three entrances, for convenient access and bus transfers – a staffed main entrance on the north side of Cermak Road, an auxiliary farecard entrance on the south side of Cermak Road, and a staffed entrance at 23rd Street

Convenient access to McCormick Place, Motor Row, and other Near South Side destinations

At least the 23rd St. entrance gets it one block closer to McCormick Place, although it is still a hike to King Dr. It also avoids the disaster scene ibebob posted. ;)

At least the 23rd St. entrance gets it one block closer to McCormick Place, although it is still a hike to King Dr. It also avoids the disaster scene ibebob posted. ;)

It depends on which building. Technically you are correct if that means the West Building with entrances on Prairie. With the South Building being next to the Hyatt McCormick Hotel on King Drive with a short walk inside to the North Building, the best bet is to transfer to the 21.

It depends on which building. Technically you are correct if that means the West Building with entrances on Prairie. With the South Building being next to the Hyatt McCormick Hotel on King Drive with a short walk inside to the North Building, the best bet is to transfer to the 21.

I was referring to hiking to the big atrium between the north and south buildings with my King Dr. reference, and still assuming that from downtown it would still make more sense to take 3.

No indication how close the DePaul arena would be, which reportedly has been delayed six months.

I was referring to hiking to the big atrium between the north and south buildings with my King Dr. reference, and still assuming that from downtown it would still make more sense to take 3.

No indication how close the DePaul arena would be, which reportedly has been delayed six months.

I believe DePaul's arena is to be built between Michigan and the McCormick west building. Somewhere in the area on Cermak there also was supposed to be a Marriott Hotel built as well.

If anyone noticed, the restaurant and cell phone shop that sat on the NE corner of State/Cermak had a fire which destroyed all of those stores. While I can't prove anything, it sure seems as though the city is making a serious attempt to rid the area of "undesirables" as the area regentrifies..

I believe DePaul's arena is to be built between Michigan and the McCormick west building. Somewhere in the area on Cermak there also was supposed to be a Marriott Hotel built as well.

If anyone noticed, the restaurant and cell phone shop that sat on the NE corner of State/Cermak had a fire which destroyed all of those stores. While I can't prove anything, it sure seems as though the city is making a serious attempt to rid the area of "undesirables" as the area regentrifies..

Unless you have proof that Al Capone works for the city and was directed to torch the places, instead of using the usual tools of eminent domain..........

I was searching for a few pictures of the new Cermak Mccormick Place station. I found some from the Tribune. Here's that link:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/hilkevitch/ct-cta-cermak-mccormick-getting-around-met-0209-20150208-column.html#page=1

I was over there yesterday myself and snapped a few pictures of the exterior I'll upload later. Yeah, that cell phone place is toast and I was just over there before and it wasn't toast, so that must have just happened.

I was searching for a few pictures of the new Cermak Mccormick Place station. I found some from the Tribune. Here's that link:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/hilkevitch/ct-cta-cermak-mccormick-getting-around-met-0209-20150208-column.html#page=1

I was over there yesterday myself and snapped a few pictures of the exterior I'll upload later. Yeah, that cell phone place is toast and I was just over there before and it wasn't toast, so that must have just happened.

Here a panorama of the west side of the exterior of the station including the cell phone shop. On the east side they put up the light up CTA signs and then planted high trees in a planter in front of it so you can't see the sign. Doh!!

post-304-0-04070200-1423512882_thumb.png post-304-0-94060400-1423512897_thumb.png post-304-0-56051600-1423512872_thumb.png post-304-0-79511600-1423512889_thumb.png

• Upvote 2

This afternoon I exited the Cermak/Mc Cormick Place Green Line station on the south side of the street. I attempted to use CTA text check the arrival of the next eastbound #21. I used the number 18052 from the sign but received a reply saying

Stop requested is invalid: 18052 [italics mine]. What's up? :huh:

Apparently they hadn't programmed the stop code into the Clever Devices server.

The BusTracker map shows only 6845 Cermak/State WB, 6955 Cermak/Wabash EB. The Alert says that those stops have been replaced.

The #21 buses yesterday didn't announce the stop on the clever devices either. CTA claims that 22,000 people will use the station, but I can't help but be skeptical. They wouldn't use it to go west as Red line is faster. McCormick Place is not a daily function like a university or something similar. I saw one rider yesterday. Hopefully the station does see some service. That area to me is like an island. Anything that goes east eventually goes south, so EB commuting has about 3 blocks to serve. I think this station will have more walk up commuters than transferring ones. Also doesn't Metra serve McCormick place directly? They claim ridership is weak on the south side green line and it shows, so maybe it's a secret way to get more riders for the Green line.

The #21 buses yesterday didn't announce the stop on the clever devices either. CTA claims that 22,000 people will use the station, but I can't help but be skeptical. They wouldn't use it to go west as Red line is faster. McCormick Place is not a daily function like a university or something similar. I saw one rider yesterday. Hopefully the station does see some service. That area to me is like an island. Anything that goes east eventually goes south, so EB commuting has about 3 blocks to serve. I think this station will have more walk up commuters than transferring ones. Also doesn't Metra serve McCormick place directly? They claim ridership is weak on the south side green line and it shows, so maybe it's a secret way to get more riders for the Green line.

But who is crazy enough to take Metra from the Loop to McCormick Place?

You're better off taking the #3 bus which is cheaper, goes right to the door & runs far more frequently.

But who is crazy enough to take Metra from the Loop to McCormick Place?

You're better off taking the #3 bus which is cheaper, goes right to the door & runs far more frequently.

Generally true, An A to A ticket is $3.25. Somewhat strange is that all morning rush southbound trains stop there, and later on both South Chicago and Blue Island trains (although that means departures at :15 and :20).

But I agree with BusHunter's point that the CTA station is really not at McCormick Place. They are acting like it is on Michigan instead of the alley near State. Some of the news reports point out that it is 2 blocks for the Cermak-Chinatown station, so I'm not so sure it fulfills the need they say.

I always get a chuckle out of Rahm cause every time theres a press conference that's cta related he's always in front of the cta "president" Claypool. I mean honestly does Claypool ever get to talk more than 2 mins lol. It's funny how fast the Cermak station opened given that it wasnt suppose to open originally around spring time. I guess Rahm trying to get his votes up so he's either speeding or rushing things for that re election lol. The station looks great by the way hopefully that'll increase the ridership of that line even the more so. Quick question though, they did make that platform long enough for a 8 car train right?? Lol.

I always get a chuckle out of Rahm cause every time theres a press conference that's cta related he's always in front of the cta "president" Claypool. I mean honestly does Claypool ever get to talk more than 2 mins lol. ....

Of course not. Rahm can't let go that Claypool is his puppet, nor let Claypool talk, because it is always corporate speak that embarrasses everyone. You'll note that if anything official is being said, it is either Brian Steele, or a press release with the title "MAYOR EMANUEL...," which used to indicate that it came from the mayor's press office, not CTA.

This isn't news. When Claypool was supposedly running some sort of medical consulting firm, its website was all corporate mumbo jumbo, but now that he is out, they have an actual business.

Generally true, An A to A ticket is $3.25. Somewhat strange is that all morning rush southbound trains stop there, and later on both South Chicago and Blue Island trains (although that means departures at :15 and :20).

But I agree with BusHunter's point that the CTA station is really not at McCormick Place. They are acting like it is on Michigan instead of the alley near State. Some of the news reports point out that it is 2 blocks for the Cermak-Chinatown station, so I'm not so sure it fulfills the need they say.

You know there is a lot of vacant land on the west side of State from Cermak to the Stevenson Epressway that is now ripe for development now that the station is open. I wouldn't be at all surprised if an announement for development happens within the next 3 - 6 months.

You know there is a lot of vacant land on the west side of State from Cermak to the Stevenson Epressway that is now ripe for development now that the station is open. I wouldn't be at all surprised if an announement for development happens within the next 3 - 6 months.

Of course, there was supposed to be all sorts of development south of 35th when the Green Line was rebuilt that didn't happen. Best chance of development in the area you mention is if Chinatown moves east, but it has tended to move north.

Of course, there was supposed to be all sorts of development south of 35th when the Green Line was rebuilt that didn't happen. Best chance of development in the area you mention is if Chinatown moves east, but it has tended to move north.

Chinatown has been unofficially "bordered" by the rail tracks on the west (Canal) side and east (Red Line, Metra) side and the Stevenson to the south, so the more or less ideal developmental direction over the past decade or two has been north toward 18th Street. But even that has reached capacity, so expanding outside these borders will happen eventually. The Wells-Wentworth project seems promising, but that's still a minimum of 5-7 years away in my opinion.

There has been a sign posted of a new highrise hotel (if memory serves me correctly) slated for the southwest corner of Archer and Clark right next to the Metra tracks, but given that the public and senior housing homes are right across the street, I wonder how far that project will go; that sign has been posted for a couple years now.

Chinatown has been unofficially "bordered" by the rail tracks on the west (Canal) side and east (Red Line, Metra) side and the Stevenson to the south, so the more or less ideal developmental direction over the past decade or two has been north toward 18th Street. But even that has reached capacity, so expanding outside these borders will happen eventually. The Wells-Wentworth project seems promising, but that's still a minimum of 5-7 years away in my opinion....

There were also reports that because Chinatown became so confined, it has extended into Bridgeport.