Ventra - Bugs, Feedback, and Questions

Busjack

Just wanted to share that a passback fare using Ventra and a 30 day pass works as it did with the Chicago Card Plus. I now have a $-2.25 balance on my Ventra account for the passback L ride.

To clarify it (and related to my comment why Kevin might have been charged both 25 cents and $2.00) by "passback" to you mean letting someone else board behind you on your card?

Also, that doesn't seem to square with chris's comment on the CTA Tattler that he was just locked out. Could the difference be that you have authorized regular charges from your credit card to reload the CCP or Ventra card, and maybe he did not?

To clarify it (and related to my comment why Kevin might have been charged both 25 cents and $2.00) by "passback" to you mean letting someone else board behind you on your card?

Also, that doesn't seem to square with chris's comment on the CTA Tattler that he was just locked out. Could the difference be that you have authorized regular charges from your credit card to reload the CCP or Ventra card, and maybe he did not?

Yes that is what I mean. In reality, I did not go through the turnstile in time (my fault, not the turnstile) and had to tap again to get through. Here is what the Ventra website shows:

8vjw.png

I do have auto reload on my pass so that could be the difference.

Yes that is what I mean. In reality, I did not go through the turnstile in time (my fault, not the turnstile) and had to tap again to get through. Here is what the Ventra website shows:

8vjw.png

I do have auto reload on my pass so that could be the difference.

But like Kevin, and unlike Chris, you got taken for the $2.25, since you didn't allow another person to board.

I did post a link to this on the CTA Tattler, in case chris sees that.

But like Kevin, and unlike Chris, you got taken for the $2.25, since you didn't allow another person to board.

I did post a link to this on the CTA Tattler, in case chris sees that.

I wouldn't consider it taken as unlike Kevin, I intentionally tapped twice. The first time, I realized I dropped something and turned back to pick it up, thus missing the turnstile. This was not a Ventra mishap.

I wouldn't consider it taken as unlike Kevin, I intentionally tapped twice. The first time, I realized I dropped something and turned back to pick it up, thus missing the turnstile. This was not a Ventra mishap.

I took it as "taken" in the sense that you already had a pass, but it decided to charge you instead of honoring the pass. I'm not in a position to judge the time between taps.

Still haven't received the Ventra Card that is to replace my Chicago Plus card, even though I received an e-mail about 8 weeks ago telling me to expect it in 1-2 weeks. I shouldn't have to wait until January to get my Chicago Card Plus account monies transferred over to Ventra. Still, the "last of the Ventra cards for Chicago Card Plus holders" were mailed put last week. Could it be in today's mail?

Still haven't received the Ventra Card that is to replace my Chicago Plus card, even though I received an e-mail about 8 weeks ago telling me to expect it in 1-2 weeks. I shouldn't have to wait until January to get my Chicago Card Plus account monies transferred over to Ventra. Still, the "last of the Ventra cards for Chicago Card Plus holders" were mailed put last week. Could it be in today's mail?

Only your postman knows for sure, but 6 weeks over seems too far over to me. However, as noted in the CTA Tattler, the alternative seems to be sitting on hold on the phone.

The question raised there is if the e-mail had a valid return address (as opposed to saying it was computer generated and the address does not accept replies), and someone there said a representative suggested support@ventrachicago.com, although that was not on the site.

Only your postman knows for sure, but 6 weeks over seems too far over to me. However, as noted in the CTA Tattler, the alternative seems to be sitting on hold on the phone.

The question raised there is if the e-mail had a valid return address (as opposed to saying it was computer generated and the address does not accept replies), and someone there said a representative suggested support@ventrachicago.com, although that was not on the site.

It's going to get real interesting if November 15 (the CC/CCP deactivation date) comes around and people still don't have their new Ventra cards with their transferred CCP balances.

It's going to get real interesting if November 15 (the CC/CCP deactivation date) comes around and people still don't have their new Ventra cards with their transferred CCP balances.

If by interesting, you mean POed.

Since this is going to be a P.I.T.A. either way, whether it makes sense (or is even allowed) to just by the card, register it, and then go to a park on the given day to transfer the balance.

Mine showed up today. They're mailed from Buffalo.

My God, though, the Ventra website blows. It may not be the worst website in the world, but it's damn close. I particularly like the "we put names on the cards, but you can't figure out which card is which online" part. Real clever. Also love the "log in to the website, then call us (and deal with our phone system, also programmed by morons.) so you can listen to advertisting. (hint: press 2 after you've entered your security access code, and you can skip the give us money spiel.

Honorable mention for suck: put the sticker with the number to call on top of the card number.

VENTRA SUCKS

I just got my card 10 days after the e-mail said it was coming

• I cannot activate on-line it because there is no "Access Code". It is not the Password given in the e-mail
  • I cannot Register on-line because it does not like the combo of card #, expry date, and CVV code
  • The wait time on the phone is 36 minutes.

And after 36 minutes, got cut off.

Maybe I'll file a complaint with the Illinois Banking Commissioner.

Sorry, doesn't have jurisdiction, since it is not a bank card.

In fact, I doubt that there is any regulatory jurisdiction, as the CTA books take quite a lot of pride in that it is self regulated and freed from the clutches of the Illinois Commerce Commission. This doesn't look like an area within the RTA's supervision, either.

They outsourced card processing to a bank. The envelope and letterhead says MetaBank. They are doing business in Illinois. Ergo, they answer to the banking commissioner.

MetaBank might be, but that doesn't get you anything with respect to crummy CTA customer service. All it would do is give you recourse if your account was charged, but since you can't activate your card, that can't happen.

And rest assured, even if an Illinois regulatory agency has jurisdiction, it would do nothing.

VENTRA SUCKS

I just got my card 10 days after the e-mail said it was coming

• I cannot activate on-line it because there is no "Access Code". It is not the Password given in the e-mail
  • I cannot Register on-line because it does not like the combo of card #, expry date, and CVV code
  • The wait time on the phone is 36 minutes.

Check your email for the temporary username and password that Ventra sends. Log into the Ventra website with that, you will then setup your access code for the phone activation.

I managed to log-in to change user-id, password, established an access code.

As far as registering it goes, no can do. Is that a superfluous process ?

The only point to registering is if you bought it at a vending machine or supermarket and want to get the $5 deposit credited to transit value. But since someone mailed you the card, they already know who you are.

I'm glad that owine was able to help you out.

Now to set up Pre-paid Debit account, when I enter card number and expiration date for First Time users, it says it is wrong.

If you had read anything here, including what sw says: Don't mess with the prepaid debit account. Leave it alone. Step back from your computer. That is unless you want to be ripped off by MetaBank.

• Upvote 4

Now to set up Pre-paid Debit account, when I enter card number and expiration date for First Time users, it says it is wrong.

I offer one word to you, Amtrak41... Don't... Don't... Don't!!!

You'll be sorry if you do...

Any other chicagobus.org member thinking about that Pre-paid Debit Account, I offer the same advice above to you... it's your decision if you want to heed it or not.