Ventra - Bugs, Feedback, and Questions

Busjack

I bet the delay falls on whoever is subbed out to print and mail the cards. By the time you receive the email with your username and password, you already have a card number assigned. I presume that means the physical card has been printed as well, which means the delay is with that mailing process. Maybe Claypool had dry mouth and couldn't lick all the envelopes closed? Unfortunately, none of the envelopes that came to my residence had postmarks to indicate date received/handled by USPS.

But let's get one thing straight here: keeping customer contact information up to date is not the responsibility of the CTA. Anybody who has done CRM on this large scale knows the nightmares of keeping people's contact information up to date. Ignoring correspondence? Also not the fault of the CTA, Cubic, First Data, Second Data, MetaBank or MegaJank.

So, how do you explain people getting 200 cards, some not getting any, and having to get a email, resulting in people not getting it or somebody (probably First Data) using a system that was more complicated than it had to be?

Trying to argue that the database was not up to date because people were registering Chicago Cards in the past month doesn't cut it. And, apparently, Claypool finally got off the blame the customer act, and someone had the responsibility of transferring the registration information from whatever database was used to the issuance database.

And the essential issue is that somebody at CTA should have been monitoring contract performance. They didn't with NABI until too late, and they didn't here until it became a PR nightmare. At least they did with Bombardier.

As far as my refund scheme, while it was based on an approximation of how to do equity, since it would be to previously registered customers, I bet that the $50 would be used.

So, how do you explain people getting 200 cards, some not getting any, and having to get a email, resulting in people not getting it or somebody (probably First Data) using a system that was more complicated than it had to be?

Trying to argue that the database was not up to date because people were registering Chicago Cards in the past month doesn't cut it. And, apparently, Claypool finally got off the blame the customer act, and someone had the responsibility of transferring the registration information from whatever database was used to the issuance database.

And the essential issue is that somebody at CTA should have been monitoring contract performance. They didn't with NABI until too late, and they didn't here until it became a PR nightmare. At least they did with Bombardier.

As far as my refund scheme, while it was based on an approximation of how to do equity, since it would be to previously registered customers, I bet that the $50 would be used.

Explain two incidents? Things happen. Is there any evidence this happened more than twice?

The database not being up to date is a fact. The reason for it is certainly because customers did not update their email address and therefore did not receive prompts to update their physical address. I doubt going door to door was part of the contract for CTA to monitor.

Explain two incidents? Things happen. Is there any evidence this happened more than twice?

The database not being up to date is a fact. The reason for it is certainly because customers did not update their email address and therefore did not receive prompts to update their physical address. I doubt going door to door was part of the contract for CTA to monitor.

What is your interest in the "blame the customer" track you have continuously maintained? You should disclose it.

Also, you don't know that it is only two incidents, and the only reason I cited it was to debunk your "blame the card printer" theory.

And as far as going door to door, I just got a phone call from BCBS to verify my web application for a 2014 plan. So, somebody does it.

Update:

owine: I suggest you look at today's CTA Tattler comments about autoload and double billing. Those were also reflected above.

I suppose that's also the fault of the card printer instead of whoever set up the computer system?

What is your interest in the "blame the customer" track you have continuously maintained? You should disclose it.

Also, you don't know that it is only two incidents, and the only reason I cited it was to debunk your "blame the card printer" theory.

And as far as going door to door, I just got a phone call from BCBS to verify my web application for a 2014 plan. So, somebody does it.

Update:

owine: I suggest you look at today's CTA Tattler comments about autoload and double billing. Those were also reflected above.

I suppose that's also the fault of the card printer instead of whoever set up the computer system?

I have no interest other than that I think the vast majority of CTA customers are idiots who expect to be waited on hand and foot by public transportation.

If I can follow the instructions as a lay person and others I know have done the same, why can't everyone? This is the disconnect I have.

Yes, autoload did not transfer over. Neither did my credit card information. That is a good thing, isn't it? I am glad I had to reenter my credit card information, it meant nobody was handling it. Double billing? I see one guy with that claim and no context to go with it. Using isolated incidents does not debunk anything. Especially on a blog called the CTA Tattler where it is hip to be the guy that got screwed by the CTA.

I have no interest other than that I think the vast majority of CTA customers are idiots who expect to be waited on hand and foot by public transportation.

If I can follow the instructions as a lay person and others I know have done the same, why can't everyone? This is the disconnect I have.

Yes, autoload did not transfer over. Neither did my credit card information. That is a good thing, isn't it? I am glad I had to reenter my credit card information, it meant nobody was handling it. Double billing? I see one guy with that claim and no context to go with it. Using isolated incidents does not debunk anything. Especially on a blog called the CTA Tattler where it is hip to be the guy that got screwed by the CTA.

As I said before, there is no profit in calling your customers stupid even if they are. I would assume that if they have the high intelligence level you demand, they would be living in Kennilworth and either have a car or ride Metra.

Double billing. Why don't you look up the thread and see Kevin's post about his account? Your minimizing argument isn't working, either.

And with the phone calls, again, I was debunking your "door to door argument." When you are left to arguing in circles, admit that you are not getting anywhere.

Why don't you call up Claypool and tell him to rescind yesterday's announcement???

As I said before, there is no profit in calling your customers stupid even if they are. I would assume that if they have the high intelligence level you demand, they would be living in Kennilworth and either have a car or ride Metra.

Double billing. Why don't you look up the thread and see Kevin's post about his account? Your minimizing argument isn't working, either.

And with the phone calls, again, I was debunking your "door to door argument." When you are left to arguing in circles, admit that you are not getting anywhere.

Why don't you call up Claypool and tell him to rescind yesterday's announcement???

What high intelligence are you talking about? It doesn't take a rocket scientist or college degree to follow instructions in an email and letter. I still cannot find an example of improper instructions or lack of instructions.

Kevin got double billed once. You referred to the Tattler comment that was being consistently double billed. Those are not alike and again, the commenter lacks context. Maybe he tapped twice because the response time of the Ventra readers is so slow, we don't know. I don't take blog commenters at face value.

What door to door argument? You submitted a BCBS application, they called you about it. That's standard business practice. Calling thousands and thousands of customers to update their contact information? That never happens. If it did, people would think its another identify theft scam/ploy.

What door to door argument? You submitted a BCBS application, they called you about it. That's standard business practice. Calling thousands and thousands of customers to update their contact information? That never happens. If it did, people would think its another identify theft scam/ploy.

How many subscribers do you think BCBS has, all who have to reenroll by the Dec.15, 2013 deadline to get Affordable Care Act compliant policies?

And apparently it doesn't take a rocket scientist to ride the CTA, just to pay for the ride on it. I guess that the persons who pee in the hobos corner or tag the cars don't have to use the Ventra system, since they don't pay.

Again, if you are so convinced, why don't you call Claypool and ask him to rescind the announcement, and just leave the overwhelming number of idiots at the curb?

BTW, there are also posts on the CTA Tattler from a benefits administrator indicating that CTA has not yet provided a means to deposit transit benefits in time for Nov. 1. Blame the administrator for that too, or for all the comments by people with transit benefits saying they don't know how to get their cards?

How many subscribers do you think BCBS has, all who have to reenroll by the Dec.15, 2013 deadline to get Affordable Care Act compliant policies?

And apparently it doesn't take a rocket scientist to ride the CTA, just to pay for the ride on it. I guess that the persons who pee in the hobos corner or tag the cars don't have to use the Ventra system, since they don't pay.

Again, if you are so convinced, why don't you call Claypool and ask him to rescind the announcement, and just leave the overwhelming number of idiots at the curb?

BTW, there are also posts on the CTA Tattler from a benefits administrator indicating that CTA has not yet provided a means to deposit transit benefits in time for Nov. 1. Blame the administrator for that too, or for all the comments by people with transit benefits saying they don't know how to get their cards?

They have totally screwed the pooch on the transit benefit program. I think the Ventra FAQ said that program would get started in September. Clearly it has not. It wouldn't surprise me if that December 15 and other deadlines get pushed back as well if Monday was any indication.

You'd think they would have tried to cover their tracks on this one...

I am an employee enrolled in the CTA/Pace Transit Benefits Program. How should I transition to Ventra?

You and your employer will receive emails in September outlining your transition to Ventra. In the meantime, you can continue using the Transit Benefits Program as you do now.

I am an employer who is currently enrolled in the CTA/Pace Transit Benefits Program. How should our company transition to Ventra?

You will receive emails in September outlining your transition to Ventra. In the meantime, you can continue administering the Transit Benefits Program as you do now until this November.

I am an employer who is not currently enrolled in the CTA/Pace Transit Benefits Program. However, I am interested in being a part of the Ventra Transit Benefits Plan. What should I do?

Visit ventrachicago.com starting in October and click the “Transit Benefits” tab to learn more. You will be able to sign up from there.

What high intelligence are you talking about? It doesn't take a rocket scientist or college degree to follow instructions in an email and letter. I still cannot find an example of improper instructions or lack of instructions.

Kevin got double billed once. You referred to the Tattler comment that was being consistently double billed. Those are not alike and again, the commenter lacks context. Maybe he tapped twice because the response time of the Ventra readers is so slow, we don't know. I don't take blog commenters at face value.

Well, I have an MBA degree with a 3.4 GPA, worked as a programmer for 33 years, and it took me a week to get it done thanks to the helpful people on this Board and NO thanks to Cubic. I could not recite all the steps that needed to be done, because it was too convoluted and I don't remember. If they got 10,000 calls in a day, something is wrong.

I know from my career, you design a system for users, and the customer is always right, however "stupid".

This business about e-mailing unencrypted user ID and password was in and of itself - nuts.

Then there was this "Access Code" BS.

This should be as simply as getting a new or renewed Credit Card, which takes an Activation phone call WITHOUT THAT PESKY Access Code ! THEN you go online and register yourself.

Done.

Well, I have an MBA degree with a 3.4 GPA, worked as a programmer for 33 years, and it took me a week to get it done thanks to the helpful people on this Board and NO thanks to Cubic. I could not recite all the steps that needed to be done, because it was too convoluted and I don't remember. If they got 10,000 calls in a day, something is wrong.

From what you previously described, there was the common confusion between activation and registration.

While you didn't do what it said on the sticker, the site shouldn't have said "Account Closed," but "Card Not Activated."

But:

• I brought up the "properly activated" only because I once received a new credit card, called to activate it, and then had it rejected on a website to update my payment information, because I hung up on the phone in the middle of some sales pitch the automated voice on the phone was making after I gave it the activation information. So, I called a human to activate that card.
  • Going back to Kevn's remark about who designed this, I just ran into a website that asked for a cell phone number, and then said that one in the format NNN-XXX-YYYY was invalid. Again, I had to figure out on my own that it didn't want the dashes; just a string of 10 numbers.
  • The person I mentioned yesterday who lost her email account was able to get a temporary password over the phone. She still didn't comprehend why they wanted a strong password, or what one was. But compare that to the hell one has to go through to get a Ventra representative on the phone.

Hence, I think that whoever planned the rollout should have taken these common scenarios (which seem to happen on just about any website) into account. Then take into account that some did not get their cards or emails, thus clogging the call center system.

From what I've seen Ventra does still have problems. I was talking with a rider who told me to watch for the CTA to Pace transfers. They were charged $2.25 on CTA and the transfer to Pace which should have been a quarter was another $1.75. So they have been paying this all week and when they checked they're account after Pace said the card was no good (was already in negative territory) they discover to their surprise that the fares for the week were gone and the card had a negative balance. The Pace to CTA transfer seems unaffected.

Then i've been discussing Ventra over with a few operators. Most of them don't like it either, One showed me where a card had read but had not given any indication to the rider for about 10-15 seconds afterwards. So far my cards working good. The only thing i don't like is that under my account (I have a 7 day pass) it only says the day it expires not the time. So how then will I know when it expires?

I was told by a supervisor that the operators have the capability to know from the farebox if the card is indeed valid, unlike the magnetic striped card when a code 13/invalid indication shows up that just means the card can't be read. That they may even be able to print up a receipt although I have yet to see this.

I was told by a supervisor that the operators have the capability to know from the farebox if the card is indeed valid, unlike the magnetic striped card when a code 13/invalid indication shows up that just means the card can't be read. That they may even be able to print up a receipt although I have yet to see this.

That's interesting.

In a related matter, the Ventra transition page for which there is a link on transitchicago.com says with regard to a passback (after giving the definition), "You can even ask the driver or station attendant to let you pay a reduced fare for a qualifying rider travelling with you." I wonder how or if that works.

anybody elses ventra card stop scanning

Can't say that I have. I've had mine for a month come this Sunday and had it not scan only twice and that was because I had my finger blocking the chip or didn't tap it completely against the reader those couple times. Upon a second tap it went through fine. Outside of that, never had much of a problem and it's worked just fine the whole month of me having it so far.

Can you register other people's reduced fare Ventra cards under a different person's online Ventra account?

I
have two elderly (in their 80s) family members and I am the one who has
to refill their fare cards. It would be convenient if I don't have to
create additional online Ventra accounts for each of their cards.

Perhaps then you'd enjoy a slice of ham.

That's not going to work at least in West Rogers Park. Something about it hits me as not being kosher. B)

BTW, the tag line about Soviet level dedication reminded me of an article in The Economist about the 3 ways Putin and other leaders of supposed democracies keep their power, and it dawned on me "Emanuel does all of that."

Can you register other people's reduced fare Ventra cards under a different person's online Ventra account?

I

have two elderly (in their 80s) family members and I am the one who has

to refill their fare cards. It would be convenient if I don't have to

create additional online Ventra accounts for each of their cards.

That one you would probably have to ask the RTA, which will be issuing the cards. While the permits will have pictures to make sure you don't use the card, I don't think the RTA would take any offense to letting you reload them. And, at this point, they probably don't know the answer.

That one you would probably have to ask the RTA, which will be issuing the cards. While the permits will have pictures to make sure you don't use the card, I don't think the RTA would take any offense to letting you reload them. And, at this point, they probably don't know the answer.

Thanks. I'll try RTA. I asked Ventra a week ago (via e-mail) but I didn't receive any reply.

RTA reduced magnetic cards are under the same pretense to fill up at the Rail stations until the Ventra cards come in. Hopefully sooner, but it'll likely be much later.