Ventra - Bugs, Feedback, and Questions

Busjack

Just so that we're clear, there is a pilot that will begin later this spring with those with riding passes (and/or employees) and CC+ customers. Full rollout (with the kinks hopefully mitigated) to come at year's end.

That I knew since Ventra was announced and CTA put up the initial links to the common Q&A. I just had to decide if I wanted to do it directly from my debit or credit card or have the separate Ventra card. But thinking of how the criminals seem to be getting crazier as of late I'll be doing the separate card.

Tribune has an article on what CTA gets out of the debit card fees, reenforcing what I said earlier about why CTA isn't abolishing the debit card option.

You will remember that See and I discussed the transit account dormancy fee. What I can't figure out from this article is the statement:

"The $2 penalty [debit card dormancy fee] comes on top of a $5 monthly dormancy fee that will be charged to the Ventra transit account, which is managed on the same card, for not taking a bus or train trip or loading the transit account with money over 18 months. CTA will not earn any portion of the $5 fee, officials said." (emphasis added)

If not the CTA, then whom and why?

The CTA Tattler also noted that the Ventra site was amended to show the fee schedule, which, on the debit card side, doesn't appear quite as bad as first disclosed, although, as I indicated, anyone with a checking account debit card sure doesn't have a need to activate it. However, unlike some of the cards mentioned earlier, you can't avoid an ATM withdrawal fee by using an in network ATM, and the ATM owner can also charge a fee.

The Tribune also has a "before and after" pdf on how to pay on transit.

CTA President Forrest Claypool has said the CTA has no interest in whether Ventra transit card customers also become Ventra MasterCard prepaid debit customers. "There will be no hard-sell attempts to attract MasterCard customers", Claypool said

I'll believe this when I open my Ventra Card package and read the propaganda in it. There's going to be some bait for those looking to clean their wallets of excess Debit/Credit Cards a bit in there or looking for one card that can be used on Public Transit and at the store for purchases, like Illinois PIRG says. Why would you even say something like this, Claypool??? Pinocchio has a shorter nose right now!

CTA President Forrest Claypool has said the CTA has no interest in whether Ventra transit card customers also become Ventra MasterCard prepaid debit customers. "There will be no hard-sell attempts to attract MasterCard customers", Claypool said

I'll believe this when I open my Ventra Card package and read the propaganda in it. There's going to be some bait for those looking to clean their wallets of excess Debit/Credit Cards a bit in there or looking for one card that can be used on Public Transit and at the store for purchases, like Illinois PIRG says. Why would you even say something like this, Claypool??? Pinocchio has a shorter nose right now!

Probably because he's trying to do damage control. But in all honesty, if CTA is not going to benefit from the Mastercard customers I don't see why they would promote it either. That's for ventra to do. They are the ones that's trying to gouge the consumer.

• Upvote 1

I see you're still overreacting to something that's still OPTIONAL. And your tirades are well past misplaced in the wrong direction. Like it or not the company designing the cards is a legal business which still has to make money to continue to exist. And at this point given that that company is also owned by your new employers you might want to be careful with how far you take your tirades against one of their operations. Now it's been posted too many times over how you steer clear of some or all the fees so this is getting beyond overblown from you.

Its interesting Claypool buddy Emanuel hasn't say anything about the card.

And what exactly is the Mayor is supposed to say when legally CTA is still a municipal corporation with some level of autonomy from the City of Chicago and officially not a part of city government despite the city's mayor having some appointment power.

Its interesting Claypool buddy Emanuel hasn't say anything about the card.

1. He is too busy fending off claims from the "angry face of the CTU" that he is a murderer, and from the neighborhoods that he doesn't do anything about the murderers.

2. Go back to the Tribune article about how the CTA is making money on this.

Probably because he's trying to do damage control. But in all honesty, if CTA is not going to benefit from the Mastercard customers I don't see why they would promote it either. That's for ventra to do. They are the ones that's trying to gouge the consumer.

1. Like Pace,. according to Pace, Ventra doesn't have any meaning. Maybe it does, but it isn't anything but a trademark for a fare collection system.

2. Walmart might say that it sells Boost Mobile phone cards, but they sell Walmart Money Cards, even though Walmart is not a bank, and (on type of) the cards is issued by GE Capital Bank.

3. Go back to the Tribune article about how the CTA is making money on this.

You seemed a bit confused last night.

....And at this point given that that company is also owned by your new employers you might want to be careful with how far you take your tirades against one of their operations. ....

Nobody has said that Cubic or MetaBank is owned by Cerberus. The only thing I said was that if the cards are hanging next to the checkout counter at Jewel, he won't be allowed to disparage the products sold by his employer, just like a NABI employee may not. Some Safeway employee probably isn't allowed to disparage them at Dominick's either.

And what exactly is the Mayor is supposed to say when legally CTA is still a municipal corporation with some level of autonomy from the City of Chicago and officially not a part of city government despite the city's mayor having some appointment power.

That might be legally correct, but you have known for at least a decade that it is not factually. Who ran on a campaign that the South Red Line needed to be rebuilt, but didn't say at his 10 appearances at 95th that it had to be shut down? Who actually put Claypool in his position, or appointed 4 of the clowns on the CT Board?

Heck, I'm surprised that he departed from Daley's practice and didn't show up at the unveiling on the 4300s. Everyone here predicted that he would.

The only difference is the one I mentioned above: the schools and the cops are bigger issues.

Why would you even say something like this, Claypool??? Pinocchio has a shorter nose right now!

Most politicians in Illinois have long felt something come up behind them and tap them on the back of the head. It is their nose. They've told so many lies, that their nose extends like Pinocchio, and makes a loop around the world and comes up behind them.

From what I gather, Ventra will probably be just another fiasco, like everything else in Illinois. Fiasco number 13,123,987,567.

You seemed a bit confused last night.

Nobody has said that Cubic or MetaBank is owned by Cerberus. The only thing I said was that if the cards are hanging next to the checkout counter at Jewel, he won't be allowed to disparage the products sold by his employer, just like a NABI employee may not. Some Safeway employee probably isn't allowed to disparage them at Dominick's either.

That might be legally correct, but you have known for at least a decade that it is not factually. Who ran on a campaign that the South Red Line needed to be rebuilt, but didn't say at his 10 appearances at 95th that it had to be shut down? Who actually put Claypool in his position, or appointed 3 of the clowns on the CT Board?

Heck, I'm surprised that he departed from Daley's practice and didn't show up at the unveiling on the 4300s. Everyone here predicted that he would.

The only difference is the one I mentioned above: the schools and the cops are bigger issues.

With the way these companies change hands and gobble each other up you need a football playbook to keep track these days. Thanks for that clarification. The point's still the same though that he's beating a dead horse with a stick that's past run its course. And yes Daley has been heavy handed in how CTA is run and I did acknowledge that Chicago mayors appoint the bubble brains at the top if CTA, but this one time and with the 4300s I'm glad not to see a Chicago mayor jumping in front of a camera putting on display how he's micro-mismanaging CTA operations when they're supposed to be separate from the City. His head is where its supposed to be with CPS as well as CPD with the crime issue since those are at least legitimate departments within city government. As for extending the Red Line, when he explains how the city will finally after at least 3 decades increase the paltry 3 million buck sum it annually contributes to CTA operations which we know that increase ain't happening with the city's own budget crunch then I'll believe that's on its way to happening.

Most politicians in Illinois have long felt something come up behind them and tap them on the back of the head. It is their nose. They've told so many lies, that their nose extends like Pinocchio, and makes a loop around the world and comes up behind them.

From what I gather, Ventra will probably be just another fiasco, like everything else in Illinois. Fiasco number 13,123,987,567.

This being Illinois, there is first the obvious prostitution by the transit authorities because they need the money, no different than renting to coffee shops in L stations even though eating on the train is prohibited, or suddenly deciding that liquor ads are o.k.

But the less obvious one is typified by the Redflex scandal--i.e. some vendor who is going to make money on the deal* is going to bribe some official to get an advantage. Many of the transit consultants are lobbyists. When something like MetaBank is obviously imposing fees on which CTA is taking a cut, being in Illinois means asking how the consortium including MetaBank got the contract in the first place. Which brings me back to the who is getting the dormancy fee on the transit account, and why is CTA hiding that?

________

*Not only the installation contract, but a cut of the fines.

... I'm glad not to see a Chicago mayor jumping in front of a camera putting on display how he's micro-mismanaging CTA operations when they're supposed to be separate from the City. .... As for extending the Red Line, when he explains how the city will finally after at least 3 decades increase the paltry 3 million buck sum it annually contributes to CTA operations which we know ain't happening with the city's own budget crunch then I'll believe that's on its way to happening.

• I don't agree on the micromanaging point. For instance, he is taking credit for the stations supposedly to be built at Washington/Wabash and Cermak/Wabash. While I don't have any problem with using TIF money for a public improvement, why is CDOT building stuff on CTA property? It has to be more than just that the base of the stairway is on a sidewalk.
  • I wasn't referring to extending the Red Line (for which he doesn't have a source of funds), I was referring to the Emanuel campaign suddenly discovering that the existing Dan Ryan segment had to be rebuilt, when at the time everyone was talking about north of Wilson.
  • In any event, he installed his buddy and neighbor Claypool. Emanuel at least did an executive search for Brizard and McCarthy.Don't tell me that Terry Peterson did an independent search for a CTA Executive Director.
  • Bringing up Peterson, I noted a certain similarity to his "listening to those at the public hearing" and this statement in the Tribune about the school closing hearings:

A group of a dozen African-American ministers came to Emanuel's office Wednesday morning with a letter urging him to put a moratorium on closings. They asked about the point of additional hearings if Emanuel has already made up his mind.

"If nobody is going to be heard at the hearings, what's the use of having the hearings?" said the Rev. Marshall Hatch, pastor of New Mount Pilgrim Church in West Garfield Park. "If it's a done deal, then stop wasting everybody's time."

Doesn't there seem to be a consistent exhibition of governing style here?

• As far as city contributions, I've questioned the point of one government entity putting tax money into another. Preckwinkle questioned the county's share last year. $5 million of statutory contributions are required from somewhere, but if there was a point in 1972 or 1983, I don't see it now.

According to today's Redeye Link: (article on page 5) http://www.redeyechicago.com/news/redeye-todays-paper-20110225,0,199927.htmlstory CTA is going to benefit off the Ventra contract. CTA's going to make up to 50 percent off advertising and fees, including the mastercard ones. So CTA is not so innocent. No wonder Emanuel doesn't want to comment on this. This is a political hot potato. This has the potential to cost someone their job.

According to today's Redeye Link: (article on page 5) http://www.redeyechicago.com/news/redeye-todays-paper-20110225,0,199927.htmlstory CTA is going to benefit off the Ventra contract. CTA's going to make up to 50 percent off advertising and fees, including the mastercard ones. So CTA is not so innocent. No wonder Emanuel doesn't want to comment on this. This is a political hot potato. This has the potential to cost someone their job.

So, the RedEye trails its big brother, the Tribune.

The only one whose job may be a risk is some underling at the CTA, such as the assistant director of procurement (or a similar title). I noted above what could get Emanuel defeated, which doesn't include CTA problems, but I am betting against even those. Maybe Todd Stroger thinks he can be mayor.

• I don't agree on the micromanaging point. For instance, he is taking credit for the stations supposedly to be built at Washington/Wabash and Cermak/Wabash. While I don't have any problem with using TIF money for a public improvement, why is CDOT building stuff on CTA property? It has to be more than just that the base of the stairway is on a sidewalk.
  • I wasn't referring to extending the Red Line (for which he doesn't have a source of funds), I was referring to the Emanuel campaign suddenly discovering that the existing Dan Ryan segment had to be rebuilt, when at the time everyone was talking about north of Wilson.
  • In any event, he installed his buddy and neighbor Claypool. Emanuel at least did an executive search for Brizard and McCarthy.Don't tell me that Terry Peterson did an independent search for a CTA Executive Director.
  • Bringing up Peterson, I noted a certain similarity to his "listening to those at the public hearing" and this statement in the Tribune about the school closing hearings:

Doesn't there seem to be a consistent exhibition of governing style here?

• As far as city contributions, I've questioned the point of one government entity putting tax money into another. Preckwinkle questioned the county's share last year. $5 million of statutory contributions are required from somewhere, but if there was a point in 1972 or 1983, I don't see it now.
Hey I'm not letting CTA off the hook by any means and I'm definitely not defending Emmanuel when I've made it known I didn't vote for him and won't be the next time. My point is right now with the schools and the crime issue he at least gave the appearance of focusing on the proper place. As for the point of tax money going from one government entity to another, Chicago and Cook County residents do use CTA so what's not paid for from the fare box still has to has to be paid for somehow so in some ways it's foolish for city and county officials to balk at funding subsidies to get their constituents from point A to B. And are you disagreeing with the micromanagement point or agreeing? Because the mention of Emmanuel taking credit for the two L stations sounds like the mayor taking credit for what's supposed to be in Claypool's job description.

So, the RedEye trails its big brother, the Tribune.

The only one whose job may be a risk is some underling at the CTA, such as the assistant director of procurement (or a similar title). I noted above what could get Emanuel defeated, which doesn't include CTA problems, but I am betting against even those. Maybe Todd Stroger thinks he can be mayor.

If things get too hot, Emanuel will just replace Claypool. Probably one of his smarter moves is not to say anything, but eventually he's going to be asked about it at a news conference by reporters.

... As for the point of tax money going from one government entity to another, Chicago and Cook County residents do use CTA so what's not paid for from the fare box still has to has to be paid for somehow so in some ways it's foolish for city and county officials to balk at funding subsidies to get their constituents from point A to B......

My point is that it is just shuffling taxpayers' money. Given that the CTA budget indicates $630 million in public funding, it probably doesn't make much difference whether the additional $5 million statutory contribution comes out of city and county property taxes or RTA sales taxes. It isn't like the CTA providing a direct service to the city, such as when the trolley companies had to plow the streets.

... And are you disagreeing with the micromanagement point or agreeing? Because the mention of Emmanuel taking credit for the two L stations sounds like the mayor taking credit for what's supposed to be in Claypool's job description.

I guess I might not have picked up the nuance in your statement "I'm glad not to see a Chicago mayor jumping in front of a camera putting on display how he's micro-mismanaging CTA operations when they're supposed to be separate from the City."

Were you referring to that he was not micromanaging (my first inference), or just that he wasn't making a display of micromanaging [at least in that instance]?

True,but to take a vacation with all the problems that are happening.Despite what he saids there not going

away.

Plus,the Board Of Education took a hit with there credit rating.

Then what do you propose is a suitable alternative? Most agencies, unless they have good belt-tightening strategies since the recession, will struggle for a good while. This is no exception.

And I don't really think Ventra is the biggest of his concerns. A few angry foaming transit folks are no match to the teachers and the community activists.

• Upvote 1

Plus,what projects are being use for TIF funds.

I'm surprise Emanuel isn't useing that to build the Red Line Exiension.

The first is probably a good question, but as to the second, I doubt that the $Billion needed is available from that source.