2200 Trainroom At 61st Tagged by Paint Vanadals

chicagopcclcar

Sorry to report that the graffiti criminals have put up a full-color broadside on the east side of the 2200 railcar stationed at 61st St. yard for use as a "trainroom" for Green line crews working from the yard. This is the north car with the blackened-out windows and door windows. I didn't have my camera and I really don't know if I would want to show the criminal damage done......too much like publicity.

Vandals in a CTA yard. Yard have any kind of security? If they can get in long enough to paint an entire side of an L car, someone with even worse intentions could do their stunt too.

Thanks for not showing the damage. While I am curious, I agree with the sentiment, as publicity (negative, even) is what these punks are going for.

Sorry to report that the graffiti criminals have put up a full-color broadside on the east side of the 2200 railcar stationed at 61st St. yard for use as a "trainroom" for Green line crews working from the yard. This is the north car with the blackened-out windows and door windows. I didn't have my camera and I really don't know if I would want to show the criminal damage done......too much like publicity.

Tagging is disgusting on any railcar. The title is misleading... 2200 Trainroom At 61st Bombed. I was getting ready to check ABC 7 Chicago for a story about a bombing at 61st St. Yard.

• Upvote 3

Maybe I'm getting old....I thought that was the terminology. Hey, I admit not being an expert on everything.

bombed

21 up, 21 down

slang grafiti word for tagged somthing, or bombing a place
yo timmy and i bombed that new school with paint last night
Wel, somebody agreed with me, so it isn't all bad.
  • Upvote 1

Tagging is disgusting on any railcar. The title is misleading... 2200 Trainroom At 61st Bombed. I was getting ready to check ABC 7 Chicago for a story about a bombing at 61st St. Yard.

That's absolutely correct. I thought there was a fire like there was there before. Or when the Wilson shops burned (which was a great improvement to the Uptown community).

Yet someone wanted to hold meetings under there.

The 2200s are junk and that's what you get with a lack of security.

That's absolutely correct. I thought there was a fire like there was there before. Or when the Wilson shops burned (which was a great improvement to the Uptown community).

Yet someone wanted to hold meetings under there.

It's all a matter of thinking and the world you grew up into. Both "tagging" and 'bombing" are correct. True, with the Boston incident, the latter has deeper meaning. Titles can't be edited, so lets ask Kevin to delete this topic and I'll repost with alternate terminology. That sounds fair.

Maybe I'm getting old....I thought that was the terminology. Hey, I admit not being an expert on everything...

I'm not saying you are. Everyone makes grammatical mistakes... I find myself doing it a lot. What would've been a better title to get the thread across would've been 2200 Trainroom At 61st Tagged or 2200 Trainroom At 61st Vandalized. In a post-9/11 world, "Bombed" means something different to us Americans. Like that one episode of "Everybody Loves Raymond" where Robert keeps bringing up how everything is "so whack!" Ray points out "We're Italian, Robert. 'Whack' means something else to us."

Just ask Kevin to change the title. He probably has the resources to do so. But it's not a big deal, chicagopcclcar. It's a grammatical mistake... don't worry about it. I just pointed it out for future reference. :)

I'm not saying you are. Everyone makes grammatical mistakes... I find myself doing it a lot. What would've been a better title to get the thread across would've been 2200 Trainroom At 61st Tagged or 2200 Trainroom At 61st Vandalized. In a post-9/11 world, "Bombed" means something different to us Americans. Like that one episode of "Everybody Loves Raymond" where Robert keeps bringing up how everything is "so whack!" Ray points out "We're Italian, Robert. 'Whack' means something else to us."

Just ask Kevin to change the title. He probably has the resources to do so. But it's not a big deal, chicagopcclcar. It's a grammatical mistake... don't worry about it. I just pointed it out for future reference. :)

Are you a teacher, elementary or high school? College professor? I was. I don't believe the word usage was a grammatical error.

Unfortunately it's happening all too frequent. All train models have been hit (just start googling and you'll see what I mean) with entire sides hit. Maybe CTA needs to start watching their yards better with camera surveillance. If taggers can access the yards this easy, then who knows who else can. That has the potential to become a serious problem.

Unfortunately it's happening all too frequent. All train models have been hit (just start googling and you'll see what I mean) with entire sides hit. Maybe CTA needs to start watching their yards better with camera surveillance. If taggers can access the yards this easy, then who knows who else can. That has the potential to become a serious problem.

There's that. One would think that the Social Darwinism of the third rail (not to mention the ban on selling spray paint in the city) and paint not really sticking to stainless steel would be a sufficient deterrent, but there was the similar incident in Forest Park a couple of years ago. And, of course, some Illinois "you can go to college" public service announcement featuring a "mural painter" with spray paint is airing on digital subchannels. Never said if he was authorized to use the wall.

Trainman had also mentioned a way back how if vandals can paint Metra cars, they could put a bomb under them.

Are you a teacher, elementary or high school? College professor? I was. I don't believe the word usage was a grammatical error.

I'm not, but there's an example of wrong choice of word from me for the thread title error I was trying to get across. But Kevin did fix it as I see the title now.

I'm not, but there's an example of wrong choice of word from me for the thread title error I was trying to get across. But Kevin did fix it as I see the title now.

Diction error, by someone who supposedly was a master of his vernacular.

Grammatical error would involve, for instance, the use of there, they're or their throughout this forum, or an expression such as "they ain't got no grammar." Although I wonder about British sexual counseling books that use "their" with reference to "your partner."

Diction error, by someone who supposedly was a master of his vernacular.

Grammatical error would involve, for instance, the use of there, they're or their throughout this forum, or an expression such as "they ain't got no grammar." Although I wonder about British sexual counseling books that use "their" with reference to "your partner."

There is no "right or wrong" to diction as the writer can use it to establish his or her own mood, tone, formality, etc. I used the same terminology used by the people who commit the vandalism. I would suggest for reading, "Freight Train Graffiti", Abrams, New York, 350 pages, fully color illustrated to get a grasp of the issue. $29.95 retail but available at lesser prices. I'm up to page 155. I also spent hours on Monday at the Rochelle Railroad Park doing video of UP and BNSF and saw more graffiti then I would want, but on railroads, it's there. Hopefully, the CTA is a agency known by the vandals as "clean" meaning the agency removes the vandalism rather quickly. Fortunately the panel on the 2200 is usually blocked from public view if any rail cars are stored in the yard.

As I said, there was no "grammatical error." Now we can argue this back and forth in a forum supposedly devoted to CTA transit, we can pursue a tactic of trying for the "last word." But meanwhile, if this was a rail terminal, the trains are not leaving and we have to account for minutes lost to service. Do we respond with: "lack of equipment", which can also mean too many bad ordered trains arriving; "lack of personnel" which could include all available being on "personals" or unqualified for equipment available or "misses" (personnel who did not report as assigned). We notify rail control and make out reports to the line's manager(s). We might "gap" a train sending it out with a supervisor and exchange for an incoming operator at the first or second station stop.

Finally, don't most people interviewed in the media say that they" are not going to let these incidents change their lifestyles." I wonder what they mean?

As I said, there was no "grammatical error." Now we can argue this back and forth in a forum supposedly devoted to CTA transit, we can pursue a tactic of trying for the "last word."...

I am not arguing this point with you. I apologize if that's what you think. I would like to get back on topic too, so let's just drop it... it's a diction error, it was corrected... let's move on ;) . I wasn't trying for the last word, I simply was answering your questions posed to me in your quote below...

I am not arguing this point with you. I apologize if that's what you think. I would like to get back on topic too, so let's just drop it... it's a diction error, it was corrected... let's move on ;) . I wasn't trying for the last word, I simply was answering your questions posed to me in your quote below...

If you would like to get "back on topic" then stop insisting an error was made. Changing from "grammatical error" and now claiming a "diction error" won't get us "back on topic."There was no "diction error" either. Leave it alone or keep it going....your choice.

Im not suprised...

Thanks, I'll check tomorrow when the yard is empty and hope to report some good news.

I doubt the tagging will be removed from a 40+ year old car that may very well be retired from revenue service anyway. It's costly for supplies and labor time to remove all the graffiti on it.

I doubt the tagging will be removed from a 40+ year old car that may very well be retired from revenue service anyway. It's costly for supplies and labor time to remove all the graffiti on it.

It may be an approximate 44 year old car (as referenced by the current CTA system map cover), but it still used by CTA personnel at least part of the day watching over 61st yard if I'm understanding their current purpose correctly. And who wants to report to work looking at that for the next four and a half months?

• Upvote 2

It may be an approximate 44 year old car (as referenced by the current CTA system map cover), but it still used by CTA personnel at least part of the day watching over 61st yard if I'm understanding their current purpose correctly. And who wants to report to work looking at that for the next four and a half months?

Anyone who gets a paycheck, which is all that counts.

Anyone who gets a paycheck, which is all that counts.

Be that as it may, my point still stands that it's doubtful CTA is going to let the graffiti stay despite those cars' age. Some of us can be flippant but the smart employer still at least gives the appearance of caring about employee morale.

• Upvote 2