Wilson Red/Purple Line Station Rebuild

BusHunter

Took a look at Wilson/Red line yesterday too. They now have the running rail and ties setup all the way from Lawrence to Montrose on track 1. It looks like the rail is just sitting on the wood ties though over Broadway and the steel structure connector piece they installed at the south end. The last of the concreting ties in place is occuring, they have a tarp over it up to Broadway although there may still be a few feet to concrete it's not much. They haven't connected the running rails yet or fastened them to the wood ties over the steel structure but it's in the home stretch.

The station itself now has the first pieces of the framing installed for the elevator. It's very early still but it's a start. They have been working on the support poles for the canopy as well as a few posts which look like they will have lighting installed. They will have to have a workable platform there in two months time as that will be the new sb platform. I guess they intend to dismantle a piece of the old platform for track 2 although they might be able to get away with just removing the old sb track 2.

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot to mention, on my way to my highway eldorado odyssey on Saturday, I checked out what's going on at Wilson/Red. All the ties have been concreted in place now and the final ones are drying and covered up. The elevator shaft now has more steel installed and is more pronounced. Looks like the steel structure is complete on the elevator shaft. They have on the south end of the platform big long metal pieces of what looks like is the metal framing of the canopy, so canopy installation will be happening soon.  I haven't seen yet what they are using for stairs, but they might truck in a temporary metal staircase, like what you would see at California/Blue or similar elevated stops. I don't think they'll have time for escalator installation yet, they said entrances will be of the temporary variety until phase 3 or 4 when finalization happens. Probably the station house will be built somewhere in phase 3.  

I stopped in at Wilson/Red to see what's up and they have began the installation of the canopy frame.

56aecf731f0a3_wilsonshot1a.thumb.PNG.d47

They have also uncovered all the concrete ties and tracks and have began connecting the south tracks with the existing structure as well as the north end of the concrete structure. They still haven't touched the connection at Leland though.

56aecf23056b8_wilsonshot5a.thumb.PNG.6e0

I happened to look in this open area of the new Wilson platform at the north end and have discovered they are building a foundation, like they plan on putting a mini station house or something there. I also checked across the street under where you see the blue tarp in the pictures. A generator was running and had me curious what was up, so I took a shot inside which reveals they seem to be building a temporary station house made of wood. Maybe they plan on building the actual station house around this one. 

56aecf4e7405d_wilsonshot6a.thumb.PNG.c53

Here's a few more shots.

56aecf8f55667_wilsonshot2a.thumb.PNG.ba5

56aecfb06f00e_wilsonshot3a.thumb.PNG.9eb

56aecfcda0891_wilsonshot4a.thumb.PNG.78a

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, BusHunter said:

they seem to be building a temporary station house made of wood. Maybe they plan on building the actual station house around this one. 

There were wooden stairs at Belmont until the project was almost completed.

I took a quick trip over to Wilson/Red to see what's up. This week they've done quite alot. The tracks are fully attached at the south end and at the north end of the concrete structure. The only spot not attached is over Leland. They took up some tracks over there like they plan on redoing everything on track 1 south of the Lawrence tower switch. Looks like they may have to adjust the ballast a bit as it's off slightly (new structures too high) They have begun putting in the precast concrete wall over on the outside of track 1 Here's a shot of that.

56b6de94b3ff5_wilsonoutertrackwallinstal

They've also been working on this temp station house

56b6de478a3cc_wilsontempstathouse.thumb.

56b6de6f657a0_wilsontempstationhouse.thu

They are putting the railing around the tracks as well

56b6dda2c9786_wilsontrackgates.thumb.PNG

I never noticed those were precast wall sections before but here's a shot of one at fullerton

56b6dd8ede01b_fullertonwallcloseup.thumb

The canopy has progressed now with lateral metal pieces as well as the metal that will carry the lights and PI signs, if they intend to do it like Belmont.

56b6dddc531d9_wilsonplatformcanopy.thumb

And here's a few more shots

56b6dd6e5add7_wilsonnorthend.thumb.PNG.4

56b6ddc24e601_wilsonmiddleofplatform.thu

56b6de15a0c09_wilsoncabling.thumb.PNG.b6

• Upvote 5

This weeks trip to Wilson Red line has revealed that they have worked really hard putting up the canopy steel. It's practically up now. They have added the first part of a ramp coming down over on the sunnyside side but my camera crashed and I didn't get that. Here's shots of the main platform though.

wilson21416h.thumb.PNG.c527da844606480fd

56c149754f149_wilson21416a.thumb.PNG.80e

56c14a23e8b72_wilson21416c.thumb.PNG.914

56c14a63938dd_wilson21416d.thumb.PNG.913

56c14a7275bb5_wilson21416e.thumb.PNG.f57

56c14a860a1ff_wilson21416f.thumb.PNG.2a3

wilson21416g.thumb.PNG.919fbeb74c8215ff6

wilson 21416b.PNG

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

This weeks trip to Wilson Red line has revealed that they have worked really hard putting up the canopy steel. It's practically up now. They have added the first part of a ramp coming down over on the sunnyside side but my camera crashed and I didn't get that. Here's shots of the main platform though.

56c149754f149_wilson21416a.thumb.PNG.80e

56c14a23e8b72_wilson21416c.thumb.PNG.914

56c14a63938dd_wilson21416d.thumb.PNG.913

56c14a7275bb5_wilson21416e.thumb.PNG.f57

56c14a860a1ff_wilson21416f.thumb.PNG.2a3

wilson21416g.thumb.PNG.919fbeb74c8215ff6

wilson 21416b.PNG

Good progress. Now they need to finish installing the inside southbound track between Wilson and Leland.

12 hours ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

Good progress. Now they need to finish installing the inside southbound track between Wilson and Leland.

That's the next phase starting next month, but that's only going to go for 6 months so by next October they'll have both tracks 1 and 2 done. They had crews working at Sheridan on Sunday, so the project must be getting close to opening. I don't know what week in March track 1 reopens, but March is 3 weeks away.

Up at Lawrence tower, it's kind of interesting, they must be putting in a diamond crossover there between tracks 1 and 2. I wonder if it will be permanent. I don't know if they have time to convert that to a switch from track 1 to 2 to tracks 2 to 1. Maybe if they closed it one weekend and sent trains on tracks 3 and 4 they might make it with a big crew.

23 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Up at Lawrence tower, it's kind of interesting, they must be putting in a diamond crossover there between tracks 1 and 2. I wonder if it will be permanent. I don't know if they have time to convert that to a switch from track 1 to 2 to tracks 2 to 1. Maybe if they closed it one weekend and sent trains on tracks 3 and 4 they might make it with a big crew.

Undoubtedly they will have to do something like they did at Belmont and Fullerton, but they have not here made the big deal about installing crossovers that they did there.

Probably, the better question is what they intend to do on the south end, or if they intend to keep the Red Line on the outer track to north of Addison.

59 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Undoubtedly they will have to do something like they did at Belmont and Fullerton, but they have not here made the big deal about installing crossovers that they did there.

Probably, the better question is what they intend to do on the south end, or if they intend to keep the Red Line on the outer track to north of Addison.

I don't see how that is an issue as Sheridan has island platforms. They'll just cross over back around Waveland. Anyway the plan seems to update all the tracks and ties down to just north of Addison and when the brown line flyover project starts they'll be doing south of Addison to Belmont.

As far as crossovers, fullerton I believe just has switches south of that station, so maybe based on that they won't be doing diamond crossovers at Lawrence. We can probably find out for sure though looking at the wilson project documents.

Bus Hunter, look in page 2 where I reproduced the track plan and see if the double-crossover you saw is in the same place in the track plan, then you have your answer. You are correct...after the change over from track 2 to track one, track will be out of service from Leland to Waveland.  Red line track will crossover there to service Addison.

22 hours ago, chicagopcclcar said:

Bus Hunter, look in page 2 where I reproduced the track plan and see if the double-crossover you saw is in the same place in the track plan, then you have your answer. You are correct...after the change over from track 2 to track one, track will be out of service from Leland to Waveland.  Red line track will crossover there to service Addison.

Ok, thanks. I remember you posting that somewhere, but I didn't know where. So no there is no diamond between purple and red, but only for tracks 2 and 3, so they must be going to rig up a switch from 2 to 1. So that says there will be a weekend closure. They looked to be attempting to raise track 1, they have the ballast removed there and seem to be cementing the structure. Maybe I'm wrong but they are doing something there. Like I said before the track coming off the new structure is higher than the existing track 1 from Lawrence so somewhere there's going to be a descent and it can't be at the switch, so they have about 15-20 feet to descend about 1/4 to half a foot.

This weeks look at Wilson shows they have been working on the electric. Now the new platform has working electric lights and it seems they have disconnected some of the old station lights at soon to be old Wilson.  Fixtures are laying on the platform. What is with the shack on track 2 though?

56caaaed6fdd4_wilson22116a.thumb.PNG.1a0

56caab43a8ac1_wilson22116b.thumb.PNG.283

56caab9a7ed13_wilson22116c.thumb.PNG.f4b

56caaa8104ea1_wilson22116f.thumb.PNG.cd6

The stairs have arrived for the hole north of Wilson and a staircase has been erected down at Sunnyside. Those look to be permanent stairs.

wilson22116g.thumb.PNG.dab93812af0ef79a1

The shack has electricity now on the south side of wilson and they have installed some of the third rail now and the precast concrete wall sections over broadway. Looks also like the elevator might have a glass covering interesting!!

56caabef0c6da_wilson22116d.thumb.PNG.d8f

56caac3f8ef5a_wilson22116e.thumb.PNG.01d

A few more weeks and it should be open. There's still no connection to the north though, but they appear to be working on the tracks. They finally finished the sheridan curve tracks and have worked on the switch renewal north of Addison track 1 to 2, so that looks good to go just about.

• Upvote 3

This weeks update to Wilson shows they have completed the 3rd rail installation. The only place missing the third rail now is north of broadway in which they are still working. I took a few shots, the first one is of the north stair which they installed this week.

56d3bd56cbe47_wilsonnorthstair22816.thum

56d3bd5bc1bf2_wilsonnorthendofplatform22

A closer look at the elevator shaft reveals the glass has CTA imprinted on it, a nice touch

56d3bd5123229_wilson22816ctasignonelevat

They have began the canopy roof installation, it's just one span and it looks like glass just like Belmont/Red, but to me it seems to have a deeper tint, that's it down at the end if you can see that.

56d3bd6035f7a_wilsonred22816canopyinstal

a few more shots of the platform...

56d3be153d49c_wilson22816northendofplatf

56d3be238441d_wilsonnorthendofstructure2

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

I was passing by the station earlier, and it seems like they got the the platform lighting on and installed. Plus, they started putting up signs for the station houses outside and inside.

If you look at the Sunnyside exit, it looks like the staircase will deliver you right next to the parking lot. (It goes down and turns to the west only to turn around and go back east) At least they laid some fresh gravel there, no one wants to exit into a mudhole!! :P They should just pave it.

I thought there was going to be a ramp there, (I thought I saw one in the rendering) but I guess not.

1 hour ago, renardo870 said:

When will Track 1 be in service? It seems according to the Purple Line Schedule effective 3/6/16, SB trains will be stopping at Wilson and Sheridan but no Addison this go round?

I don't see that or the new schedule. Besides I'm pretty sure the platform still need work done before opening for at least one track.

55 minutes ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

I don't see that or the new schedule. Besides I'm pretty sure the platform still need work done before opening for at least one track.

I'll have to go up there, but it looks like 2-3 weeks from now will be the opening. When you see Ventra machines in the temp station house it's close like within the week. The canopy should be almost up, the stairs are 70-80 percent, the big wildcard is the north connection and north switch but with a weekend closure they might get that online with a hefty crew.

1 hour ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

It looks like the CTA has an extra day for the service change because even though the change is effective March 6th, that's a Sunday. It probably doesn't matter though. I wonder how this will all play out.

I have my tickets for the IRM 70s excursion, so I will try to get photos and videos of the station.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see anything on the Purple Line page, with regard to an alert for this, new schedule, or change in the route map. Source?