Wilson Red/Purple Line Station Rebuild

BusHunter

Looks like they are putting a switch in from track 1 to track 2, just south of Lawrence/Red line. I guess that's part of the preliminary work that needs to be done before the project will start. Looks like they are starting at track 1 and working they're way to four, unlike both Belmont and Fullerton/Red line which was the opposite.

• 6 months later...

Looks like this project is finally getting back on track. The neighborhood has opposed placements of columns at street level and actually took it to court and halted the project. That's one of the reasons this project has been delayed. The link below says those issues have come to a resolution, so that's good.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140219/uptown/wilson-red-line-station-rehab-moves-forward-as-cta-residents-compromise

I was at Wilson last week and I guess the CTA has given in and has ordered the replanking of Wilson. (picture below) I don't really get why they used plywood in the first place. That was really a temporary repair. Kind of surprising to me.

post-304-0-98269000-1393178929_thumb.jpg

They have been working on this all this week, I guess the back breaker was when the plywood started breaking and they had to put hole signs on the platform!!

post-304-0-25349700-1393179090_thumb.jpg

Looks like this project is finally getting back on track. The neighborhood has opposed placements of columns at street level and actually took it to court and halted the project. That's one of the reasons this project has been delayed. The link below says those issues have come to a resolution, so that's good.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140219/uptown/wilson-red-line-station-rehab-moves-forward-as-cta-residents-compromise

I was at Wilson last week and I guess the CTA has given in and has ordered the replanking of Wilson. (picture below) I don't really get why they used plywood in the first place. That was really a temporary repair. Kind of surprising to me.

attachicon.gifstack of wood planks at wilson.jpg

They have been working on this all this week, I guess the back breaker was when the plywood started breaking and they had to put hole signs on the platform!!

attachicon.gifwilson hole.jpg

I also was there last weekend. I took pictures at this station too.

• 1 year later...

As I mentioned elsewhere, there is an article about three track operation needed for construction of the Wilson station.

What I can't figure out is when this was necessary for Belmont and Fullerton, there was a big deal about installing switches so that operations wouldn't be too impeded. The reference to the Purple Line having to make local stops from Wilson to Addison seems to indicate to me that the current administration is far less competent than the Kreusi one in this regard. But I guess it figures that most of the Purple Line riders aren't eligible to vote for the tone deaf head of the CTA, who is stuck in a runoff election. Another reason to head to the UPN Metra line.

As I mentioned elsewhere, there is an article about three track operation needed for construction of the Wilson station.

What I can't figure out is when this was necessary for Belmont and Fullerton, there was a big deal about installing switches so that operations wouldn't be too impeded. The reference to the Purple Line having to make local stops from Wilson to Addison seems to indicate to me that the current administration is far less competent than the Kreusi one in this regard. But I guess it figures that most of the Purple Line riders aren't eligible to vote for the tone deaf head of the CTA, who is stuck in a runoff election. Another reason to head to the UPN Metra line.

Interestingly it is only the AM service that is doing this. The PM service will bypass Wilson - Addison. Now more than ever, I would just ride the Red line, because it is just about as fast as the Purple line and doesn't have to travel the slow zone plagued elevated section of Armitage - Chicago. I wonder why they just don't cross trains back over south of Wilson, but the elevated structure was supposed to be renewed to Montrose, so if they plan on working on that whole 2 block stretch, there will be no track 1 from Lawrence to Montrose once construction begins.

...I wonder why they just don't cross trains back over south of Wilson, but the elevated structure was supposed to be renewed to Montrose, so if they plan on working on that whole 2 block stretch, there will be no track 1 from Lawrence to Montrose once construction begins.

I assume that the whole mess where the concrete portion rejoins the steel elevated in the area you mention has to be straightened out.* My thinking was more that a crossover could have been installed, say, around Buena.

I don't figure out the only morning bit. Tammy must have made a mistake when quoted in the article that "Riders who board south of Linden should experience shorter delays," since it would appear that anyone north of Belmont would have the same delays.

*First step seems to be to yank out the concrete portion and construct new tracks west of the current alignment, as opposed to Fullerton and Belmont being constructed to the east.

A page on the CTA's website showing graphics of the services changes and a description of the service changes is up. Link

The map shows another potential delay. At Clark Junction, they want to put the switchback. Now they will have to wait for brown line traffic and possibly delay Purple and Red lines while they wait for this. It would have probably been smarter to use the switches north of Addison to get the train back to track 1. That would eliminate the bottleneck at Clark Junction going south at least for Red line commuters.

I assume that the whole mess where the concrete portion rejoins the steel elevated in the area you mention has to be straightened out.* My thinking was more that a crossover could have been installed, say, around Buena.

*First step seems to be to yank out the concrete portion and construct new tracks west of the current alignment, as opposed to Fullerton and Belmont being constructed to the east.

Well the station is supposed to sit mostly to the south of Wilson 3/4 of it, so that existing junction might be in the footprint of the station as the south entrance was supposed to be at the street there for Target and Aldi's, Sunnyside. Seems to me though the station is kid of long, is it supposed to be 10 cars length? But yes the Buena point is a valid one.

...Seems to me though the station is kid of long, is it supposed to be 10 cars length? ...

Undoubtedly so.

And my point about construction being to the west was similar to the one that the two platforms (like the ones at Belmont and Fullerton) have to be wide enough to be ADA compliant. Sure can't retain the narrow (presumably North Shore) platforms outside tracks 1 and 4.

Undoubtedly so.

And my point about construction being to the west was similar to the one that the two platforms (like the ones at Belmont and Fullerton) have to be wide enough to be ADA compliant. Sure can't retain the narrow (presumably North Shore) platforms outside tracks 1 and 4.

That also makes the most sense to start west to east as that's where the most available room is because they will have to rebuild track 1 and at least one platform before they go to closing track 2 or they will have no sb platform for the sb train. This might put them pretty close to the Truman College parking garage but it should just make it. They will then use the existing platform for just the NB as they rebuild track 2

• 2 weeks later...

The plan shows three crossovers at Leland using a standard that the CTA seemed to have adopted with X's between the outer and the inner tracks and than a X's between the two inner tracks. The crossover that went into use today is temporary and will have to be reversed then the new track is completed and track two is scheduled for replacement. The plans also show two single crossovers south of Wilson between the two inner tracks. The fate of two more crossovers are outside of the plan boundaries. You might have noticed a internet dispute about information on those X's with a person I won't name. My photo.

P1000628.jpg

CTA design for four track interlocking....they may be reversed. Note complete interlocking signals including reverse signaling too.

Why not just build an interlocking just like this south of Montrose? They probably will when the project is completed, but they could have used it now. I bet they will do that especially if there are excessive delays at Clark Junction and there might because they are making that like a tower 18 where one has to wait for traffic all ways.

My read is these X's are for four track from the new Wilson north.......note the past weekend they had to reroute NB south of Sheridan and SB rerouted at Montrose. True, the two years of construction looks bad from the ordinary person, but planning looks at the long time over the years. Wilson is only 4 hours a weekday.

Why not just build an interlocking just like this south of Montrose? They probably will when the project is completed, but they could have used it now. I bet they will do that especially if there are excessive delays at Clark Junction and there might because they are making that like a tower 18 where one has to wait for traffic all ways.

Someone already flamed me on the CTA Tattler for posing that question. Hence, I won't remove the block.

Someone already flamed me on the CTA Tattler for posing that question. Hence, I won't remove the block.

Why it sounds like a legitimate question. And if chicagopcclcars is referring to 4 service hours per weekday, it's more like 8 hrs plus this night time express which I don't know when that goes in service.

Why it sounds like a legitimate question. And if chicagopcclcars is referring to 4 service hours per weekday, it's more like 8 hrs plus this night time express which I don't know when that goes in service.

If you know Jack on CTA Tattler, his sole purpose is to make the CTA look bad. Is question, which I would not answer, "why didn't they make the switch from track 2 to 1 at Montrose a remote switch?"

That switch was put in, what, ten, fifteen years? It is an emergency switch, like the ones at Bewryn. Who know the Wilson rehab was coming then. Wilson is short-lived compared to long range planning. You need signals and interlocking to long range. It not worth it. Remember, before the 60s, Wilson was only two tracks.

Probably the CTA didn't feel it was that important to upgrade the sunnyside switch. It is marked for removal. But I'm surprised it wasn't redone now at montrose with a full Iinterlocking. Probably they need to do another full Iinterlocking between montrose and granville or they are going to have weekends and weekends of long stretches of closed track especially when rpm really gets going on the dilipated structure.

attachicon.gifPurple_511.jpgCan anyone tell by train tracker here if the afternoon SB Purple express is stopping at Wilson/Sheridan/Addison?

I'm not getting your question. The reading I just got corresponds to your image, which says that it is (Sheridan and Addison stops indicated at this moment).

Probably the CTA didn't feel it was that important to upgrade the sunnyside switch. It is marked for removal. But I'm surprised it wasn't redone now at montrose with a full Iinterlocking. Probably they need to do another full Iinterlocking between montrose and granville or they are going to have weekends and weekends of long stretches of closed track especially when rpm really gets going on the dilipated structure.

Again, I remember someone saying that after the first incident at Granville, a flag man was "perfectly normal," and then another incident occurred there. But apparently there was a switch installed at Lawrence, since someone said so and the Purple Line was not scheduled to make all stops south of Devon.