Wilson Red/Purple Line Station Rebuild

BusHunter

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

At a minimum, they would have to deal with the urine smelling condition described the other day in the Tribune and make it accessible, even if they can't do anything about the curve.

IMO, they should build a new station on the north side of Irving Park. That wouldn't require more land. Also, there doesn't seem to be a need for dual platforms there.

Well outside of relieving pressure off Addison station and providing leeway for Purple Line riders during Cubs home games, the dual platforms are what's helping the Wilson reconstruction go a bit easier as different tracks have been taken out of service and gotten rebuilt. And that doesn't even get into how the platforms give CTA some latitude in doing their weekend and/or overnight track maintenance like they do on the other lines without having to one track both directions like the other lines have to be. As for the urine smell issue, that's more a symptom of the station like Wilson and Lawrence primarily serving Uptown, which we know has a history of being a seedier part of the north side, and also being within a stretch of the Red Line's north end that's seen increased homeless foot traffic. Wilson (before the reconstruction project) and Lawrence have seen the same problems. So moving the station a number of feet isn't going to solve that particular problem. You've got to address the larger issues in the surrounding neighborhood for which the station condition is more a symptom of. The Wilson reconstruction project has those elements in that Wilson and Broadway near the station has been seeing redevelopment that facilitated even more the need for Wilson station to be totally revamped. 

1 hour ago, jajuan said:

So moving the station a number of feet isn't going to solve that particular problem.

But building a modern one would make it easier to clean (and get rid of 116 years of urine), which is all that I meant.

The rest basically is an issue of where the crossovers are located. They were able to build a whole bunch for the Belmont-Fullerton project, but weren't willing to do so for the Wilson one.

16 hours ago, Busjack said:

The rest basically is an issue of where the crossovers are located. They were able to build a whole bunch for the Belmont-Fullerton project, but weren't willing to do so for the Wilson one.

This statement is really incorrect.....to say the CTA will NOT BUILD CROSSOVERS FOR THE NEW WILSON STATION. I've posted and referred to CTA plans numerous times. I could not quote from a different topic so copied most if the information and reposted pictures.

On March 9, 2015 at 10:36 AM, chicagopcclcar said:

The plan shows three crossovers at Leland using a standard that the CTA seemed to have adopted with X's between the outer and the inner tracks and than a X's between the two inner tracks. The crossover that went into use today is temporary and will have to be reversed then the new track is completed and track two is scheduled for replacement. The plans also show two single crossovers south of Wilson between the two inner tracks. The fate of two more crossovers are outside of the plan boundaries. You might have noticed a internet dispute about information on those X's with a person I won't name. My photo.

CTA design for four track interlocking....they may be reversed. Note complete interlocking signals including reverse signaling too.

On February 15, 2016 at 4:16 PM, chicagopcclcar said:

Bus Hunter, look in page 2 where I reproduced the track plan and see if the double-crossover you saw is in the same place in the track plan, then you have your answer. You are correct...after the change over from track 2 to track one, track will be out of service from Leland to Waveland.  Red line track will crossover there to service Addison.

On February 16, 2016 at 2:23 PM, BusHunter said:

Ok, thanks. I remember you posting that somewhere, but I didn't know where. So no there is no diamond between purple and red, but only for tracks 2 and 3, so they must be going to rig up a switch from 2 to 1. So that says there will be a weekend closure. They looked to be attempting to raise track 1, they have the ballast removed there and seem to be cementing the structure. Maybe I'm wrong but they are doing something there. Like I said before the track coming off the new structure is higher than the existing track 1 from Lawrence so somewhere there's going to be a descent and it can't be at the switch, so they have about 15-20 feet to descend about 1/4 to half a foot.

PHOTOS......Sample showing typical interlocking using crossovers between all four tracks........Track plan when Wilson Station and Red/Purple Lawrence-Bryn Marw is finished. 

DH

P1000628.JPG

Wilson%2010%20car%20platform.jpg

• Upvote 2

Here's a flyby of Wilson/red line construction shot on 4-11-17. They have just about removed the whole structure at the south end except for a few spans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkBLQNx0BKg

I took a few shots at street level including a video of broadway with it's old spans removed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8LKn175TWI

Here's what remains of old "L" structure north of Wilson

58eea32c176c5_wilsonwhatsleftoflstructure41117.thumb.png.a95f5c5828d00a4fd6723a075a6d8b94.png

Took a few shots inside the fence north of Wilson and spied them constructing the auxillary exit on the north side of the street. First shot is pointed east second is pointed north.

58eea3325fde0_wilsonconstructionbuildingstationexit41117.thumb.png.1d4a6eca3ade3d8804f5c983ca6a544b.png

58eea338ae7ce_wilsonconstructionnorthofwilson41117.thumb.png.d3595d52663bb180480ac83c42d968b5.png

Down on the south side of Wilson at the street the glass enclosure for the elevator tower has arrived and they are preparing the elevator shaft here for it's installation. (You might have seen a crane at this location in the flyby video. That crane is attached to the elevator tower still lying on it's side at street level.) 

58eea33e67e45_wilsonelevatorconstruction.thumb.png.ee07b6028242da5ad92143fc713c24a9.png

58eea34554614_wilsonlookingnorthfromstation41117.thumb.png.96a0e4b725ab8fa6143847f1ca9d041a.png

• Upvote 1

On 4/11/2017 at 4:10 PM, Busjack said:

But building a modern one would make it easier to clean (and get rid of 116 years of urine), which is all that I meant.

Touche sir. Valid point on the modern station. But they'll want to keep the two platforms as a contingency for when they're doing track maintenance and for the continued purpose of allowing Purple Line trains to relieve pressure off Addison station and the Red Line just as the platforms used now in the current station provide that purpose.

20 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Touche sir. Valid point on the modern station. But they'll want to keep the two platforms as a contingency for when they're doing track maintenance and for the continued purpose of allowing Purple Line trains to relieve pressure off Addison station and the Red Line just as the platforms used now in the current station provide that purpose.

If they put in the crossovers, not necessarily. For instance, there is a crossover just north of Addison. I figured when they started this project, they should have put in crossovers somewhere between Wilson and Irving Park.

They obviously can't keep the direct track from Track 4 to Track 3 behind Target.

On April 12, 2017 at 9:18 AM, chicagopcclcar said:

This statement is really incorrect.....to say the CTA will NOT BUILD CROSSOVERS FOR THE NEW WILSON STATION. I've posted and referred to CTA plans numerous times. I could not quote from a different topic so copied most if the information and reposted pictures.

The plan shows three crossovers at Leland using a standard that the CTA seemed to have adopted with X's between the outer and the inner tracks and than a X's between the two inner tracks. The crossover that went into use today is temporary and will have to be reversed then the new track is completed and track two is scheduled for replacement. The plans also show two single crossovers south of Wilson between the two inner tracks. The fate of two more crossovers are outside of the plan boundaries. You might have noticed a internet dispute about information on those X's with a person I won't name. My photo.

CTA design for four track interlocking....they may be reversed. Note complete interlocking signals including reverse signaling too.

Bus Hunter, look in page 2 where I reproduced the track plan and see if the double-crossover you saw is in the same place in the track plan, then you have your answer. You are correct...after the change over from track 2 to track one, track will be out of service from Leland to Waveland.  Red line track will crossover there to service Addison.

Ok, thanks. I remember you posting that somewhere, but I didn't know where. So no there is no diamond between purple and red, but only for tracks 2 and 3, so they must be going to rig up a switch from 2 to 1. So that says there will be a weekend closure. They looked to be attempting to raise track 1, they have the ballast removed there and seem to be cementing the structure. Maybe I'm wrong but they are doing something there. Like I said before the track coming off the new structure is higher than the existing track 1 from Lawrence so somewhere there's going to be a descent and it can't be at the switch, so they have about 15-20 feet to descend about 1/4 to half a foot.

PHOTOS......Sample showing typical interlocking using crossovers between all four tracks........Track plan when Wilson Station and Red/Purple Lawrence-Bryn Marw is finished. 

DH

P1000628.JPG

BUMP!

On 4/11/2017 at 4:10 PM, Busjack said:

They don't need one at the south end, the tracks nb are a direct connection no switch  (that's track 4 becomes track 3 at Wilson) and because they are turning track 3 into track 2, by switch that leaves track 2 as a dead track sb. It's had this tie backhoe type machine on it since the Wilson track 3 opening just south of Montrose. In a strange way doing the connection back to the proper row at Waveland allows them to update all tracks sb to Waveland. Track 2 is getting the treatment now.

They also are replacing the wooden platforms at Sheridan in segments whenever they close a track, so for the most part the wood should be fresher than before. That's the only wooden deck that's left I think on the north end. Come to think of it it may be the last on the system except for Dempster and Main which really has some shotty wood. It's always been baha up there though. Main had part of it's platform relocated, I don't know if it was structural issues or not but we are talking an 80 year old structure that's wood not just the deck.

11 hours ago, BusHunter said:

They don't need one at the south end, the tracks nb are a direct connection no switch  (that's track 4 becomes track 3 at Wilson) and because they are turning track 3 into track 2, by switch that leaves track 2 as a dead track sb. It's had this tie backhoe type machine on it since the Wilson track 3 opening just south of Montrose.

You mean now, but unless they intend to recreate the mess that was there before, and not use the east side of Platform 2, they will need one by the end of the year. At least they will have to take the direct connection out.

On April 15, 2017 at 10:53 PM, chicagopcclcar said:

BUMP!

On April 12, 2017 at 9:18 AM, chicagopcclcar said:

DH

P1000628.JPG

BUMP...BUMP!

Here's the Wilson construction update for 4/18/17. Major milestones reached this week are that all old steel spans have been removed except for 2 spans north of Wilson. The elevator framing has also been installed on the nb side platform. New spans for track 4 have also started being installed.

I took a few pictures, one at street level of cranes getting ready to remove one of the final spans.

58f792388cee6_wilson41817lastspan.thumb.png.efd7a1d10880dee493f9dca2545a308e.png

Then I took this shot of the elevator and platform

58f792408ffd9_wilsonplatform41817.thumb.png.e5c0a779fa077dc03fface7d2159d824.png

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Ultimately it looks to be part of the north side auxillary exit or for some storefronts.

CTA is requesting proposals, but my point was that it appears to be a roofless shell at the moment (at about 2:05 to 2:16). Maybe that's all it was when the track structure was over it.

5 hours ago, Busjack said:

CTA is requesting proposals, but my point was that it appears to be a roofless shell at the moment (at about 2:05 to 2:16). Maybe that's all it was when the track structure was over it.

I thought that the lower portion of the old station house should have got the landmark treatment but it was probably too much to save, but you did get this 30's vibe passing through there. I think i took pictures of it and put it on here on maybe the first few pages of this thread. Don't know if this was part of the at grade station they used to have here but after the first two flights of stairs you went into a wood type staircase. At one time the other staircase must have went somewhere else. This seems to be only the facade they are saving, no different than some of the Western/Blue and now pink line stops, I believe at Milwaukee and 21st. 

Lots of concrete being poured at Wilson today. One Prairie truck pulls out one pulls in and theres one down the street on broadway. The whole sidewalk is shut down on the west side of broadway and it looks like they are cementing the north side entrance. That seems like one of the things they are working on the most. A new north side staircase has been installed to mirror the sb one. I got a shot of them working on the new main stationhouse with the new elevator. I'll be posting a flyby with my shots later tonight or early tomorrow. 

Here is the flyby video for this week (5-2-17)

I also took a couple shots at street level of the future station house as well as a closeup of the new staircase just added this week on the NB platform.

590a1464ae49e_wilsonnewnbstaircase5-2-17.thumb.png.2874d76bc463efe73e8d539b6fa2dcba.png

590a1472237ef_wilsonfuturestationhousesouthsideofwilson.thumb.png.0fbc5a714c5bb15a8eb74b254fc8eee8.png

I also took a shot of the elevator and station construction so far.

590a145aebf0d_wilsonnbstation5-2-17.thumb.png.5c59b0f0ae85cc2836e2f0dfb24151c8.png

• Upvote 5

Here is this week's Wilson flyby shot 5-8-17 (yesterday)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKxsUt0yfRE&feature=youtu.be

I also took some pictures of the structure at the north end from the street.

5913611de3514_wilsonstruturenorthend.thumb.png.2b753b76561c209ed937cfc736279888.png

5913612cc0f61_wilsonnorthendofstructure3.thumb.png.4ea735bdcde51516475add968dbedd5a.png

591361340b697_wilsonstruturenorthendlookingnorth.thumb.png.d5b59104fa82245ca477e8d122585f53.png

I also shot pictures of the new stationhouse from different angles

5913613ade333_wilsonnewstationhouse.thumb.png.d31d60a690426adb0227ca7690892504.png

59136148b55f7_wilsonnewstationhousetakingshape.thumb.png.19540dc6f4c3ec988fcdab7fe76d56c9.png

59136141ca30d_wilsonnewstationhousewestangle.thumb.png.824b121f24ef5422794d6f052be72e85.png

And then I shot the platform itself which looks the same virtually as last week

5913614ea7a6c_wilsonstation5817.thumb.png.a0843c8c2eed44cd2f8a3dbb9b5f228b.png

• Upvote 3

Most of the horizontal steel is up now south of wilson and north of wilson still is being shored up for a cement pour. They have begun to shore up the south end to concrete that. So looks like alot of concrete will be flowing shortly over here. The only part not really being done is over broadway and points north. 

I took a flyby video again and shot some video at the south end of the structure by aldi of the new sunnyside exit as well as the steel. I'll upload that maybe by midday tomorrow.

Here is the flyby video for this week (5-16-17) New this week are most of the horizontal supports are installed and the shoring up of the north end of construction north of wilson is almost complete in anticipation of a concrete pour. At the south end, shoring up of the structure has started as well. Installation of the CTA logo on the elevator has been completed also this week. We should be seeing alot of concrete flowing here shortly. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVfLTPcoeew

Here is an additional video I took of the south end of construction from the street. What a difference from before!! In the background we can catch a sneak peek of the Sunnyside exit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6z-MZ-0_2k&feature=youtu.be

Then I took a few pictures from the platform

591c8e626b836_Wilsonstation5-16-17withnewctalogo.thumb.png.05114f47d1e5d5cf42065c5b00143657.png

591c8e5c11953_Wilsonsouthconstruction5-16-17.thumb.png.137b460bd25d93f1a0b005f7d987affb.png

On 5/10/2017 at 1:55 PM, BusHunter said:

I also took some pictures of the structure at the north end from the street.

5913611de3514_wilsonstruturenorthend.thumb.png.2b753b76561c209ed937cfc736279888.png

On this and your prior comment about "The only part not really being done is over Broadway and points north" they probably have to shut down Broadway to continue. Did they when the erected the big beam over Broadway to the pillar on the east sidewalk?

Here is the latest flyby video at Wilson/Red line shot yesterday 5-23-17.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHLI_-3LA70&feature=youtu.be

They are starting to install the rebar for the first of many concrete pours on track 4. There seems to be a steel box being erected outside track 4. Maybe that is the beginning of the Sunnyside NB staircase exit? Seems funny looks like the NB track 4 will be finished before the station gets extended.