Wilson Red/Purple Line Station Rebuild

BusHunter

6 hours ago, garmon757 said:

@BusHunter It's beautiful at night! :D

IMG_0534.JPG

IMG_0535.JPG

Yeah I'm just about to head over there myself for this weeks update, but I'm not going to get the night effect. i see they got the electric lights working. They were testing Washington/Wabash last week, so it might look equally impressive at night.

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah I'm just about to head over there myself for this weeks update, but I'm not going to get the night effect. i see they got the electric lights working. They were testing Washington/Wabash last week, so it might look equally impressive at night.

Yes indeed. I'm looking forward to see that when it opens. 

Yeah the lights are all on skylight canopy is done. The guys are sweeping and using a leaf blower on the tracks so looks like the trackwork is done.  I finally figured out the setup of the Sunnyside entrance. I'll post my flyby and pictures tonight. I'm heading over to Washington Wabash to see what's new. 

OK here's the flyby for 8-15-17

This week they have completed the canopy, tracks seem to be complete other than the connections at the ends (usually done on the last weekend before opening) They were sweeping and basically cleaning up when I shot this. The concrete wall installation was continuing over Broadway and points north. The sunnyside exit continued to be completed with additional steel being installed. The wooden catwalk over broadway is also starting to get built. This week the electric lights were hooked up. Now the station is lit up at night.

I'll see if I can upload some pics give me a few minutes.

Ok here's a few shots we start with the main entrance complete with working lights!!

59939d03a3c92_Wilsonmainentrancewithlightsworking.thumb.png.179f81be655b6e38e1c65a0c583d2499.png

They installed lights over the Wilson sidewalk

59939eac9758a_lightsoversidewalkonwilson.thumb.png.8891bc89d71ef51eef476c40fe3ba5ac.png

Here's a nice looking shot from the street. Station is alot nicer than it was!!

59939d0f5d72a_Wilsonfromthestreet.thumb.png.f3c19d36e3ba8ee853b96d9ffcacd022.png

Alright here the sunnyside shots, I was wondering where the entrance was because you see this platform here but you never see where it leads after that. I thought maybe to the garage the last few months but no there is an additional ramp and a somewhat fancy entrance

59939d1ecc7d3_sunnysideexit.thumb.png.378ca77b8f6c3ffc08478bf7a38ffc62.png

59939d25d86ef_sunnysideexitdetail.thumb.png.1a0913ea89a62b88fd856aca618e5860.png

59939d1774a19_sunnysidehouse.thumb.png.2604129465a5b2b6ac3972657bb8331a.png

10 hours ago, Busjack said:

Also 1000 times better than when the Wilson Shop was looming over the neighborhood.

I wanted to add in this picture, they put lights under the structure, looks like they may be dark though or there's not enough. You have to consider now with no light shining down (due to a concrete structure versus a steel) how dark it is under there. Maybe they are high illuminating LED's, let's hope so. :P The platforms are huge here so I would say they have 100 feet of darkness to light up. Maybe they should have considered a fortified glass catwalk here. It might sound a bit crazy but the technology must exist if they are considering glass suspension bridges in China!! :P

5994e0e918d96_lightsunderthestructure.thumb.png.fe1aefd399fd8dfe9a058bb876c2f902.png

37 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Maybe they are high illuminating LED's, let's hope so

While some high pressure sodium lights are still being installed, most places, including Chicago, are using LEDs. If, at night, the light is sort of violet-white, they're LEDs. They probably are focused to shoot the light straight down. 

I don't know panning up and looking at the sidewalk over Wilson are the lights really that bright? They need like a continuous light bar I think to be effective. Speaking of lights, I'm uploading my Washington/Wabash flyby and by accident I discovered something new with the lighting design down there that's cool!! Give me a few minutes to upload to Youtube.

Here is today's flyby at Wilson Red line

New things happening this week were the continued construction of the wooden catwalks over Broadway and the near completion of the noise barrier wall except over broadway itself. A few station signs have appeared and the sunnyside exit/entrance is still getting worked on. They look like they are working on the escalator and the electrical lights on the main stationhouse entrance. A few more weeks and they are done.

4 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Here is today's flyby at Wilson Red line

New things happening this week were the continued construction of the wooden catwalks over Broadway and the near completion of the noise barrier wall except over broadway itself. A few station signs have appeared and the sunnyside exit/entrance is still getting worked on. They look like they are working on the escalator and the electrical lights on the main stationhouse entrance. A few more weeks and they are done.

September 11th everything opens! 

12 hours ago, Juniorz said:

September 11th everything opens! 

The interesting question is whether they are going to change the Purple Line schedule to become a better alternative to the Red Line, as the 4 tracks will be served for the first time by full, accessible platforms, and this was billed as a transfer station.

12 hours ago, garmon757 said:

Today's work!

IMG_0547.JPG

IMG_0548.JPG

IMG_0549.JPG

IMG_0550.JPG

IMG_0551.JPG

IMG_0552.JPG

IMG_0553.JPG

IMG_0554.JPG

Interesting that the Wilson signage has SB Purples  stopping  for AM rush only.  I know  that  is the curr6 setup, but will all Purples  stop there (pm rush) When Wilson fully opens or do we maintain the status quo?

For that  matter, shouldn't  allPurples  stop at Wilson in both directions  once all 4 tracks are in pperation?

26 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Interesting that the Wilson signage has SB Purples  stopping  for AM rush only.  I know  that  is the curr6 setup, but will all Purples  stop there (pm rush) When Wilson fully opens or do we maintain2 the status quo?

It will be interesting to see what is on the nb's signs. They are putting them up soon. In fact one of the long signs are up. Of course they had to have that on the sb for the nb construction but most likely the southbound signs will change. I remember back in the day when there was an impending service change they would print the info on a sticker  and place it over the real sign that had the long term info on it. This way they didn't have to make two signs.

I had figured that @artthouwill had opened a can of worms, but it appears that @BusHunter answered it. No one posted what sign was on the other side of the column, and I assume there will be overhead signs similar to the ones at Belmont (<-95th | Loop->) once trains are put on the correct tracks.

Here is my final flyby of Wilson red line slated to open in a few days. They have installed the tactile edging and some of the gating on the sunnyside entrance. They are installing all the third rail on track 4. Everything appears done other than some metal windbreaks on the shelter and stationhouse entrance. I can't tell if they intend on installing a catwalk between tracks 3 and 4 over broadway or not. They haven't so far. Mostly what's left is the track connection which may be happening over the labor day weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2017 at 1:31 PM, Busjack said:

The interesting question is whether they are going to change the Purple Line schedule to become a better alternative to the Red Line, as the 4 tracks will be served for the first time by full, accessible platforms, and this was billed as a transfer station.

Upon  opening,  what will happen at Sheridan?  Currently  it is an a.m. rush stop for Purple  Line trains  as well as a p.m. stop for weeknight  Cub home games.  Could or should  Sheridan  become a rush stop in both directions,  seeing that Sheridan  has dual platforms and Purples  could even better  supplement  Red Line service.

On 9/8/2017 at 11:22 AM, artthouwill said:

Upon  opening,  what will happen at Sheridan?  Currently  it is an a.m. rush stop for Purple  Line trains  as well as a p.m. stop for weeknight  Cub home games.  Could or should  Sheridan  become a rush stop in both directions,  seeing that Sheridan  has dual platforms and Purples  could even better  supplement  Red Line service.

Probably Sheridan will lose its purple line service but they'll still do the ballgame stops. I think having the purple stopping at Wilson and Sheridan make it too slow. That would not promote its express attribute.

Here's yesterday's flyby

Give me a few minutes and I'll upload some shots from things I discovered and spied on (sneak peek alert!!) :P

They are installing these CTA insignia stones on the platform

CameraZOOM-20170912173024948.thumb.jpg.7c8bfb7e5dc51ef61586d4c56dacdd78.jpg

CameraZOOM-20170912173017025.thumb.jpg.7720f62e8bb2f3cf9a649117bc6148c2.jpg

CameraZOOM-20170912173046877.thumb.jpg.87fc4137ed8d17f49662e2337bc9ef05.jpg

Elevator unveiling

CameraZOOM-20170912173100025.thumb.jpg.37c9c9188dacc7f59d129910e2f1b678.jpg

A shot of the Sunnyside entrance from platform and street

CameraZOOM-20170912173346038.thumb.jpg.11e7de628a0a0505b60700a8d3cc2a34.jpg

59b9c583970bb_sunnysideentrancefinal.thumb.png.974046262a9b12c1dc8de0e65e9374f3.png

CameraZOOM-20170912173357246.thumb.jpg.fa39024e6a77a2a63e9cb1686d342add.jpg

A couple sneak peeks at the main stationhouse, looks like it needs more work

59b9c564584fa_mainstationhouse.thumb.png.7e53dc8394ea30f0bcbfad452b7e760c.png

59b9c575e279e_mainstationhouse2.thumb.png.eda4048f5819835553bbe966023016e0.png

A look at the platform

CameraZOOM-20170912173411974.thumb.jpg.495e2e70264ee7c6516c8afffac196f0.jpg