Wilson Red/Purple Line Station Rebuild

BusHunter

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Here's my flyby from yesterday 10/10. The tracks have been connected, didn't know they were in service though. You can see tracks 2 and 3 need to be reconfigured.

I saw that there was still a scoop shovel on the Lawrence end.

I know they said "by the end oi the year," but how much do you personally think needs to be done to have both platforms fully operational for passengers?

19 hours ago, Busjack said:

I saw that there was still a scoop shovel on the Lawrence end.

I know they said "by the end oi the year," but how much do you personally think needs to be done to have both platforms fully operational for passengers?

All they have to do is tear down a barrier in the station and they can use it. Looks usable to me. Sunnyside entrance is still closed and the north Wilson entrance is closed. The elevators and escalators are working. I took shots of the Wilson stationhouse and platform give me a few minutes and I'll upload them.

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

All they have to do is tear down a barrier in the station and they can use it. Looks usable to me. Sunnyside entrance is still closed and the north Wilson entrance is closed. The elevators and escalators are working. I took shots of the Wilson stationhouse and platform give me a few minutes and I'll upload them.

Here's some shots First is a shot from the street outside the stationhouse

59e001ec25163_Wilsonstreet.thumb.png.1a7cde2629ad62768346247c6438ffcb.png

Here's some looks at the inside of the stationhouse. There's a gray tarp over something on the ceiling to be still unveiled. Do you guys see that. What is that artwork or something else?

59e001fb12e7f_wilsonstationhouse.thumb.png.a840c82ce08de490d9b0fafcb5fb96c4.png

Panning left we see the Ca booth and Ventra machines. Everything is very clean and organized

59e001f37dacd_Wilsonstationhouseleftside.thumb.png.ee65e13d96aff20869afae99ae4e909d.png.

The barrier installed for the Nb stairs. The only thing that blocks the path!!

59e001b6d2119_Wilsonbarriernbside.thumb.png.dead954c1524a157124513d9deee7c09.png

The elevator from the stationhouse

59e0019f76e35_Wilsonelevator.thumb.png.032ff851ef4a533d94a7e7d61822e5b9.png

The escalator; reminds me of roosevelt/Green line

59e001ab91415_Wilsonescalator.thumb.png.5fdcfe3b849f142ff81d534c76a06f9f.png

Here's some platform shots. The closed Sunnyside entrance

59e001e01ead6_Wilsonnbplatform.thumb.png.d3a53ea5cc62c7d0639ef8d517f35d3b.png

The NB escalator and stairs

59e001c645e95_Wilsonnbescalator.thumb.png.a20df035b79cd6938cedabf037c8e613.png

The NB elevator

59e001d574205_Wilsonnbelevator.thumb.png.d33f9f1ca026a11e3b13fa17d59d3797.png

The SB elevator

59e00202d407c_Wilsonsbelevator.thumb.png.91060f9d8262dc3187b11c5f55d70127.png

News Alert: On Monday, October 23rd,  the eastbound platform at Wilson will officially be opening for business for trains, meaning NB Red & Purple Line trains will be operating on that platform. Plus, all Purple Line Express trains in both directions and during both AM and PM rush periods will begin stopping at Wilson, making a new transfer point for Red and Purple Line Express trains.

9 minutes ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

News Alert: On Monday, October 23rd,  the eastbound platform at Wilson will officially be opening for business for trains, meaning NB Red & Purple Line trains will be operating on that platform. Plus, all Purple Line Express trains in both directions and during both AM and PM rush periods will begin stopping at Wilson, making a new transfer point for Red and Purple Line Express trains.

Link to the alert.

I would assume there would be a corresponding alert about NB Red line trains running express from Wilson to (??)Berwyn/Loyola/Howard due to having to run on track 4 while track 3 gets reconnected(and off of track2) both North and South of Wilson sometime after end of Purple Line Express Service Friday and before 4am Monday, but also with the NB platform already opened to allow for NB Wilson stops.

Track 2 can then get reconnected South of Wilson after the above.

Also, in order to finish all 4 tracks, though not REQUIRED for NB platform use on Monday, NB Red would run express on track 4 from Wilson to (??)Loyola/Howard with SB Red making all stops on the newly connected track 3, while tracks 1 and 2 get reconnected North of Wilson.

Edited by jtrosario
Corrected on 10/20/17, the incorrect word "realign" replaced with "reconnect"

1 hour ago, jtrosario said:

I would assume there would be a corresponding alert about NB Red line trains running express from Wilson to (??)Berwyn/Loyola/Howard due to having to run on track 4 while track 3 gets realigned(and off of track2) both North and South of Wilson sometime after end of Purple Line Express Service Friday and before 4am Monday, but also with the NB platform already opened to allow for NB Wilson stops.

Track 2 can then get realigned South of Wilson after the above.

Also, in order to finish all 4 tracks, though not REQUIRED for NB platform use on Monday, NB Red would run express on track 4 from Wilson to (??)Loyola/Howard with SB Red making all stops on the newly aligned track 3, while tracks 1 and 2 get realigned North of Wilson.

I doubt that they would do that during a rush period, there will probably be a crossover installed and at worst the NB red line will only miss Lawrence.

On 10/17/2017 at 6:39 PM, BusHunter said:

I doubt that they would do that during a rush period, there will probably be a crossover installed and at worst the NB red line will only miss Lawrence.

Of course, any closures of two tracks, such as reconnecting tracks near Wilson  (or installing a crossover like you say) would be done overnight or over the weekend(like this one). So, I'm still assuming that track 4 will be in use for NB Red line trains this weekend to reconnect track 3, whether or not there's a decision to open the NB Wilson platform this weekend to allow for NB Red line Wilson stops on the other side of the new East platform. So, NB Red on track 4, SB Red on existing tracks 2 then 1 while track 3 is being worked on.

After the connection of track 3 is complete, tracks 1 & 2 could get reconnected this weekend, overnight during the week, or another weekend, and still remains to be seen. So, NB Red on track 4, SB Red on track 3 while tracks 1 and 2 are being worked on.

Perhaps a Red Line alert issued before Friday will clarify which track NB red runs on this weekend.

Edited by jtrosario
Corrected on 10/20/17, the incorrect word "realign" replaced with "reconnect"

On 10/17/2017 at 9:32 PM, BusHunter said:

Probably track 3 can be fixed up over a weekend. Then tracks 2 and 4 will get sorted out. Track 4 might go in use for red line weekend service then when weekdays hit they go back to track 3. Probably another weekend is required to fix track 2 if it needs fixing.

As you stated, it seems you might be correct. Howard-bound trains will not be stopping at Wilson, Lawrence, & Argyle, starting tonight at 9pm to Sunday at 10pm. Link for the alert: http://www.transitchicago.com/travel_information/alert_detail.aspx?AlertId=44282

Yep, the only way* to move NB red from track 2 to track 3 at Wilson is to run NB red on track 4 and SB red on tracks 2 then 1 this weekend(SB Red is the same at Wilson before and after this weekend) Too bad there aren't any platforms that allow for a stop on Track 4. ;) Must have been too difficult to either have the new Wilson platform ready 3 days earlier or to do the #2 and #3 trackwork on the following weekend.

Maybe another weekend we'll see SB Red on track 3 and NB Red on track 4 to get SB Red back to track 2 at Wilson.

(So while writing this, I realize that what I previously posted as "realigning" should be referred to as "reconnecting")

So track 4 at Wilson and beyond gets used for NB Red two different weekends. Why? Because it was reconnected 1st. It had no impact on Red line trains, so it was reconnected previously for NB Purple.  Track 3 will be reconnected by 10pm Sunday with the platform for tracks 3 & 4 opening 4am Monday. That just leaves track 2, which is being disconnected from track 3 this weekend both North and South of Wilson, and track 1 which switches into track 2 just South of Lawrence and then connects into track 1 before Wilson. So on that "other" weekend tracks 1 and 2 will be out of service getting reconnected with tracks 3 and 4 in use.

What is interesting is that the Track 2 reconnection South of Wilson could be done anytime either weekend.

*  (WIthout a track cut, single track, or "Silver Streak" intervention)

On 10/23/2017 at 2:56 PM, andrethebusman said:

Now will Purple stop at Wilson in the PM rush also SB, and has the Purple stop at Sheridan SB in the AM been discontinued?

Yes the purple line stops in both directons, but I noticed on the nb trip there was no Wilson announcement by Mr cta. There also was no car card info yet that the train stops at Wilson. Traffic was heavy on the purple with most red line riders at belmont waiting for a purple line. My train was standing room only to howard. I saw some get off and transfer at Wilson so this is getting ridership right away. I didn't notice if the red line was more empty but probably not.

As far as construction track 2 is still out of service so track one is carrying all the sb traffic. Both directions experienced stopping for signal clearance so it's a slow go through Wilson so far. I didn't film anything but tracks 3 and 4 are done. 

• Thanks 3

6 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Yes the purple line stops in both directons, but I noticed on the nb trip there was no Wilson announcement by Mr cta. There also was no car card info yet that the train stops at Wilson. Traffic was heavy on the purple with most red line riders at belmont waiting for a purple line. My train was standing room only to howard. I saw some get off and transfer at Wilson so this is getting ridership right away. I didn't notice if the red line was more empty but probably not.

As far as construction track 2 is still out of service so track one is carrying all the sb traffic. Both directions experienced stopping for signal clearance so it's a slow go through Wilson so far. I didn't film anything but tracks 3 and 4 are done. 

I say that the car cards work for now, information travels quicker through social media these days anyway, so why spend the extra money until it's necessary. The Red Line reroute is still in effect, so why reflect a minor change when you have a major change still in effect.

19 hours ago, Juniorz said:

I say that the car cards work for now, information travels quicker through social media these days anyway, so why spend the extra money until it's necessary. The Red Line reroute is still in effect, so why reflect a minor change when you have a major change still in effect.

Oh. CTA will have them updated. I just found a car that wasnt. Like my operator explained at belmont next stop is wilson. You can't transfer at Wilson if you don't know the train stops there.

I just couldnt believe the ridership. Can you say 8 car purple line express. I wonder would it be worth it to run a howard to howard 8 car train or start running a few ravenstons but they couldnt go to evanston. They need to expand those evanston stops. It wouldnt take too much, some wood. Lol!! Linden could be a problem though.

Hmm, didn't know Track 1 was already properly reconnected between Lawrence and Wilson. My bad. OK then, looking forward to Track 2 getting reconnected this weekend and running SB Red Line trains at the Track 2 West platform by Sunday evening.

So then, SB Purple Express won't stop at Sheridan starting Monday morning? (Already answered by BusJack, 5 posts up, happened on October 23, 2017)

Applicable Alert from: http://www.transitchicago.com/travel_information/alert_detail.aspx?AlertId=44568

(No stations/track map associated with this alert)

Length:
Friday, November 03, 2017 - 10:00 PM
to Sunday, November 05, 2017 - 8:00 PM
Impact Level:
Planned Work w/Station(s) Bypassed

Full Description:
How does this affect my trip? 
95th-bound trains will not stop at Argyle or Lawrence stations. 

For service to these stations, take a 95th-bound train to the Wilson station and transfer to a Howard-bound train boarding on the east platform. 

For service from these stations, take a Howard-bound train to Berwyn and transfer to a 95th-bound train. 

Allow extra travel time. 

Why is service being changed? 
We are performing work as part of the final phase of the Wilson Station Reconstruction Project

Edited by jtrosario
Purple Express does not stop at Sheridan
  • Thanks 1