Wilson Red/Purple Line Station Rebuild

BusHunter

They put up a nice youtube video on a time lapse so far of the Wilson reconstruction linked by Dnainfo.com  It's historic and looks really good in 1080p. The guys camera that shot this is amazing, the zoom lens reaches way up the main line. Definitely recommended for us historical rail buffs. Hopefully there will be a sequel to this cause it's really good!!

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20151022/uptown/throwback-thursday-timelapse-of-construction-on-red-line-wilson-station

• Upvote 1

They put up a nice youtube video on a time lapse so far of the Wilson reconstruction linked by Dnainfo.com  It's historic and looks really good in 1080p. The guys camera that shot this is amazing, the zoom lens reaches way up the main line. Definitely recommended for us historical rail buffs. Hopefully there will be a sequel to this cause it's really good!!

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20151022/uptown/throwback-thursday-timelapse-of-construction-on-red-line-wilson-station

Maybe it is a matter of perspective from where he was shooting north of Lawrence, but it sure doesn't look like rapid transit from the Red Line station spacing. Also, knowing CTA, I was waiting for a southbound Purple Line to go over the edge at Lawrence:(9_9

I went by Wilson/Red line today and they have put up more steel. Now they are doing the platform. So I couldn't resist the urge to get off and take some pictures.

This first shot shows the south end of the platform

wilson_south_end_of_platform_10-25-15.th

2nd shot shows the middle part of the platform

wilson_platform_middle_looking_from_nort

3rd shot shows the end of the platform, but there's a section missing north of Wilson, maybe where the elevator shaft is going?

wilson_middle_section_of_platform_and_tr

4th shot shows the gap a little bit better

wilson_north_end_of_platform_10-25-15.th

5th shot shows further north past Wilson, they are putting rebar already and preparing to concrete what I showed just last month was all steel.

north_end_of_wilson_elevated_structure_s

6th shot shows the north end of construction, a little behind the previous section but they are putting up the wood that will help hold the concrete

wilson_north_end_of_construction_10-25-1

I took a youtube flyby of the whole station, maybe I can put it up tomorrow. Broadway is closed NB and they seem to be building an underground shaft of concrete in the middle of broadway. Maybe a foundation pier for the structure. I notice the whole structure is curved gently like a cursive I or T. I think they are trying the shorten the span over broadway to the smallest possible distance and at the same making the curve as gentle as they can, this way they could have higher speeds go through that section. If you look in my shots most of track 2 is going to be constructed within this first structure, so when they do work on track 2 it probably won't be for long and they'll be on track 3

Edited by BusHunter
  • Upvote 4

3rd shot: I assume the elevator is going into the Gerber Building (terra cotta station house). Does that about line up?

Doesn't the rendering show it in the station mezzanine on the south side of Wilson? I'm thinking something similar to the Belmont or Fullerton Red line mezzanine floor plan but the whole mezzanine will be enclosed by glass. The section missing could be the alternate exit north of Wilson. If you notice in pic 4, they never tore out the old Wilson bridge/pedestrian path from track 1's station. Now that would lead to the Gerber building and use the existing exit which has the historic entrance. Somehow they'll have to join the two sections. That might be how they plan to use both island platforms north exit. I thought I remember them saying they wanted to have a Leland exit too but I don't see how they would do that, unless they branch that exit off.

Edited by BusHunter
  • Upvote 1

Maybe it is a matter of perspective from where he was shooting north of Lawrence, but it sure doesn't look like rapid transit from the Red Line station spacing. Also, knowing CTA, I was waiting for a southbound Purple Line to go over the edge at Lawrence:(9_9

It's almost certainly a perspective thing.  Any sense of scale gets severely distorted through such a long lens.  Even the 8-car trains look like they are only a couple cars long.

Doesn't the rendering show it in the station mezzanine on the south side of Wilson?...

Technically, it isn't a mezzanine because a mezzanine is a half floor (i.e.the fare collection area of the subway are half way down to the subway). However, looking over the environmental presentation, you are correct I was not, that the Gerber Building is only to be used as future commercial, and the station entrance is on the south side, so the question would be whether the voids are for elevators and line up with that. 

Technically, it isn't a mezzanine because a mezzanine is a half floor (i.e.the fare collection area of the subway are half way down to the subway). However, looking over the environmental presentation, you are correct I was not, that the Gerber Building is only to be used as future commercial, and the station entrance is on the south side, so the question would be whether the voids are for elevators and line up with that. 

I guess I was using mezzanine too freely. Technically it's a station house then, although it doesn't resemble a traditional house, maybe a glass house, but then stops like Adams/Wabash are also mezzanines because they are half floors. 

Looking over the presentation link the station itself will end over the end of Wilson Ave, so now I'm wondering if there will be a link through the Gerber building for the far north exit. They don't mention it and the real question would be, is the Gerber building having just a facade restoration or is the existing entrance included. That entrance is grander than most as Wilson was built as a terminal. I would think that would have landmark status as it's kind of special like a mini great hall. They are going to have to keep it in service as long as there will be two island platforms. Somewhere they are going to have to demolish the current south exit on the south side of wilson because it stands in the footprint of the station house. So then the only entrance/exit would be through the gerber building. But to answer your previous question yes it does line up so the possibility still exists. Maybe we could find out if we could find the construction blueprint documents from the contractor. The Addison ones I linked are quite detailed.

I guess I was using mezzanine too freely. Technically it's a station house then, although it doesn't resemble a traditional house, maybe a glass house, but then stops like Adams/Wabash are also mezzanines because they are half floors. 

Looking over the presentation link the station itself will end over the end of Wilson Ave, so now I'm wondering if there will be a link through the Gerber building for the far north exit. They don't mention it and the real question would be, is the Gerber building having just a facade restoration or is the existing entrance included. That entrance is grander than most as Wilson was built as a terminal. I would think that would have landmark status as it's kind of special like a mini great hall. They are going to have to keep it in service as long as there will be two island platforms. Somewhere they are going to have to demolish the current south exit on the south side of wilson because it stands in the footprint of the station house. So then the only entrance/exit would be through the gerber building. But to answer your previous question yes it does line up so the possibility still exists. Maybe we could find out if we could find the construction blueprint documents from the contractor. The Addison ones I linked are quite detailed.

The environmental report to which I linked showed restoration, including on page 8, new stone (pediment arch?) over the diagonal elevation.I guess the question, which will have to await completion, is whether there will be any stairs between the Gerber Building and the platform, or the Gerber Building will only be used as a "French Market" or the like. From where you say the platform ends, and where the canopy ends in that picture, I would say only the latter.

The environmental report to which I linked showed restoration, including on page 8, new stone (pediment arch?) over the diagonal elevation.I guess the question, which will have to await completion, is whether there will be any stairs between the Gerber Building and the platform, or the Gerber Building will only be used as a "French Market" or the like. From where you say the platform ends, and where the canopy ends in that picture, I would say only the latter.

Pg 5 does mention safe pedestrian connections on Broadway, so I don't see how else they could link an entrance there, but it does sound like just the facade is being restored. I does sound like if they do rebuilt that they will gut the existing entrance area. Too bad because it seems historic to me.

Pg 5 does mention safe pedestrian connections on Broadway, so I don't see how else they could link an entrance there, but it does sound like just the facade is being restored. I does sound like if they do rebuilt that they will gut the existing entrance area. Too bad because it seems historic to me.

Some people (at least on the CTA Tattler) questioned saving the building at all, since it will have minimal transit use, but that's apparently the price paid to the historical preservationists.

The crews at Wilson were working more on the structure. These guys are really working hard. They had another metal span being held up by a crane just south of Broadway they were putting in place. They now have vertical metal supports on a few concrete bases on Broadway on the west side. I think the metal structure over broadway track 1 will be complete by Nov. 9th when Broadway is slated to be open. On the south end of the project they put up the connecting structure between the old and new structure, so all metal is in place to broadway. The concreting is phenomenal too. They have completed the whole track 1 about 50-100 feet from the south end all the way to just north of Wilson and they have the wood in place north of there for future concreting. I think it's a real possibility track 1 might be done by years end, all they need to do after they finish the structure is tracks and signals. That looks to be what they will do in December. 

Took some shots of Wilson red line from the under the structure mostly to see what's going on. They were working north of broadway in the area of a concrete support they put under the existing structure.

wilson_red_line_big_blocks_holding_up_ex

Across broadway on the west side they have this enormous concrete column right in the park lane on broadway, hopefully that's temporary cause it blocks out the view for traffic. They have installed horizontal columns up to the support next to the west sidewalk. Still missing is the steel over broadway itself and nov 9th is 4 days away, when they are slated to have the steel installed and the street open. Maybe it's getting done over the weekend.

wilson_red_looking_up_broadway_under_the

wilson_red_line_n_broadway_column.thumb.

wilson_red_line_zoomout_of_w_sidewalk_ar

Then they have another big concrete pier in the middle of the sidewalk on Wilson. Again maybe it's temporary cause it seems to block off the sidewalk.

wilson_blocks_of_concrete_on_wilson_side

wilson red line mystery object under structure south of wilson.PNG

• Upvote 3

They appear to be using this park lane pier on broadway. I can't tell if it's a temp pier or not but you would think if it were permanent it would have the smaller footing of the pier next door to it. They are constructing another one on the east side park lane of broadway, so now i'm more intrigued. o.OxD

west side broadway sidewalk:

mystery_pier_at_wilson_on_broadway_west_

east side broadway sidewalk:

mystery_pier_number_2_east_side_of_broad

BTW, they did not finish the steel over broadway by nov 9th like dnainfo said they would so that leaves me one thing to say. xD

• Upvote 2

Well they have now began the installation of the precast concrete station at Wilson working on the south end. They also are working on the connecting section from over broadway as they now have a new span going from the track 1 structure on the Lawrence side for about a car length. They still seem to be working on the broadway segment. It looks like whats holding them up is the failure so far to build the concrete foundation piers on the east side of broadway. Hopefully they can do that before it gets really cold. I couldn't get no pictures as it was completely dark over there when I passed by.

• 2 weeks later...

Well this week they have pretty much installed the entire sb platform floor at Wilson/Red and they have begun the installation of tracks at the south end of the new station platform. So i stopped by and got some shots for us. I'll start from the south end and work my way north.

565bd639f1744_wilsonrehabnewplatform11-2

565bd68b543c6_wilsonplatformlookingsouth

as you can see they left two holes in the floor, the small one looks like the elevator shaft hole but the bigger one has to be the hole for the escalator and stairs

565bd6dc7c920_ctawilsonnewplatformnorth1

Then there's the mysterious gaping hole that they have yet to touch. (maybe a north stairwell)

565bd71f381b8_mysteryholenorthofwilson11

These last 3 pics show the north end of construction

565bd777f3787_ctawilsonplatformnorthofwi

565bd7cebeed2_wilsonnorthendoftrackrecon

565bd8233aaf2_northendofconstructionsout

Maybe I can upload a video on youtube of the flyby I shot which shows the work they are doing on the tracks either later tonight or tomorrow.

• Upvote 5

Here's the youtube flyby.

https://youtu.be/DPDAp7KYg38

You can make out the track ties and rail they are trying to lay (I wish the train was going a little slower) Interesting they have brought over a bunch of what looks like plastic half ties they have laying over there. I thought the Belmont and Fullerton structures on the red had concrete ties built into the structure. I need to see those again. One more note, on the sb elevated going down towards Irving Pk, I noticed they are using the plastic recomposite ties versus wood, but on the Sheridan curve they are using wood. I don't believe I've seen them use the recomposite ties on elevated structure only on gravel rail beds. This might be a first.

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Here's the youtube flyby.

https://youtu.be/DPDAp7KYg38

You can make out the track ties and rail they are trying to lay (I wish the train was going a little slower) Interesting they have brought over a bunch of what looks like plastic half ties they have laying over there. I thought the Belmont and Fullerton structures on the red had concrete ties built into the structure. I need to see those again. One more note, on the sb elevated going down towards Irving Pk, I noticed they are using the plastic recomposite ties versus wood, but on the Sheridan curve they are using wood. I don't believe I've seen them use the recomposite ties on elevated structure only on gravel rail beds. This might be a first.

Nah. 54th/Cermak branch, Lake/wabash legs of the loop, have plastic ties as well

• Upvote 1

At Wilson/Red line this week, they we're putting together track assemblies for the new structure. Looking at Addison/Red line's concrete structure, I see how they are going to place the ties. At addison it looks like everything above the black on the tie (showed in the picture) is what will remain visible, but what they did at Addison is fasten the ties on a raised area of the concrete structure almost like a concrete footing. I don't really see a concrete footing at Wilson, maybe they have yet to make it or this is something new. At the north end of the station, they are already putting conduit lines into the structure as the structure is finished.

56650a53c6532_wilsontrackassembliesclose

56650a4ae3f94_wilsontrackassembliesdista

56650a8d927c1_finishedconcretestructure1

Looking at the CTA Wilson construction page on the CTA's webpage, it states that track one will be complete, along with the sb platform in Spring 2016 (assuming March 2016) Then each phase/track going east (tracks 2,3 and 4) gets done in 6 month intervals. Now it also states that temporary entrances will be constructed on the SB platform in phase two, the current phase (phase one was site preparation) and permanent entrances won't really be built until the end of track 2 construction or fall of 2016. Here's the link on that

http://www.transitchicago.com/wilson/

• Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...

When i passed by Wilson/Red line yesterday, i took a look at what's going on. Those track assemblies they laid down in my pictures above, now this week they concreted those in place, which I've never really seen it done that way before. (usually i would think the concrete would have time to dry before the tracks are placed down, but to each their own) The concrete was still drying when I passed. It's probably a multi day procedure drying them in the winter. I'm told though they are not supposed to lay concrete below freezing cause it don't dry right.

Also they have installed the vertical supports now on both sides of Broadway and have extended the new steel about a car length from the north, so now it protrudes over Leland. They have a bunch of light owls turned on up there, or light booms, so the whole area is lit up like Broadway. :P. (drumroll)

They must be looking to put up the main steel over broadway, maybe this weekend then the track 1 steel will be virtually finished.

Well we now have an elevated structure (steel only) over Broadway at Wilson on the Red and Purple lines. It was constructed over this weekend. I took some shots of it, here they are.

(north to south)

5677727b109dc_wilsonoverbroadwaynorthofl

5677723fc5d06_wilsonoverbroadwaynorthend

5677724f656d5_wilsonoverbroadwaymiddle12

56777260d2d25_wilsonoverbroadwaysouthend

I took a video of this from a train, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-eJyOnXXhg&feature=youtu.be

In other news, the concrete is still drying on the tracks at the south end of track 1's concrete structure. The tracks are covered up but if you look closely you can peek under the cover and see the tracks are now affixed to the concrete. They have now installed tracks and ties all the way from about 50 feet from the south end all the way to broadway, but the ones towards broadway are still waiting for a concrete pour, but that will probably be this weeks work.

• Upvote 3

This week they started placing ties on the elevated section they are using to connect the steel "L" structure to the concrete one on the south end. The concrete ties that were concreted on the south end of the cement structure are done and that work is ongoing on up to Broadway. They have installed the first few metal beams on the platform to support the canopy of the island platform. I think the idea is to get some accessibility on the south end of the project to get some work equipment to the new platform. I notice now the switch has been totally renewed south of montrose from track 2 to 1. They look like they can complete track 1 by march no problem. With all the nice weather maybe sooner.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn, they are putting full length ties down over the broadway part of the structure at the north end where it crosses. So what the hell happened to concreting that? Better yet how will that fit into the rpm which will be concrete structure? They have extended the running rail on the south end to come into contact with the older structure, so soon they should be connecting that. So if they are not concreting the structure over broadway they could be done soon cause mostly they have the platform to do. DNAinfo said they will be closing Wilson avenue soon. they must be installing the temp stairs because that platform is supposed to be usable by March although with temporary entrances/exits. For what's it worth I took a youtube video of a flyby of Wilson construction so we can see it. Here it is....

https://youtu.be/lFTbwRFrjNY