Wilson Red/Purple Line Station Rebuild

BusHunter

39 minutes ago, jajuan said:

. And does CTA really have to run both Red and Purple Line trains on the northbound side express up to Howard in the next phase?

I tend to doubt that it will do that, as the platform for Track 4 is too narrow. If I were betting, at least NB Red Line will be on Track 2. (I'm counting from the west, if I am confused). Also, that the Chisox won't be in the 2016 World Series.

6 minutes ago, Busjack said:

I tend to doubt that it will do that, as the platform for Track 4 is too narrow. If I were betting, at least NB Red Line will be on Track 2. (I'm counting from the west, if I am confused). Also, that the Chisox won't be in the 2016 World Series.

That makes more sense. (And keeping track 1 in use by SB Red and Purple Line trains while putting NB Red Line on Track 2 and Purple Line Express on what will be Track 3 didn't cross my mind due to early morning brain freeze.xD)

7 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Purple Line Express on what will be Track 3

Would have to be Track 4, if, as was done at Belmont and Fullerton, Track 3 is the next to be taken out. Also, they undoubtedly have to demolish the big center island platform to make room for Track 3.

15 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Would have to be Track 4, if, as was done at Belmont and Fullerton, Track 3 is the next to be taken out. Also, they undoubtedly have to demolish the big center island platform to make room for Track 3.

Actually it's possible that it  would be Track 3 in this case because they're actually laying a new Track 2 and a new Track 3 side by side in the space that was the old Track 2 based on the concrete footprint I observed them working on this morning and that they actually constructed along the new support structure. What they have in place right now is the reconstructed Track 1 currently used by Red and Purple Line southbound trains, a concrete footprint that's going to support a new track 2, one that's going to support a new track 3 right next to the new track 2, the old track 3 still being used by northbound Red Line trains, and the old track 4 being used by northbound Purple Express. So in short, they appear to be about to lay both a new Track 2 and Track 3 simultaneously, so that in the next phase they'll be better able to demolish the old center island platform with minimal impact to both northbound Red and Purple Line trains. 

1 hour ago, jajuan said:

the old track 3 still being used by northbound Red Line trains

Up to then I was with you, but since they have to tear out the center platform, what platform would serve NB Red on new Track 3? While there have been instances of "Ride to the next station, and then take a southbound train" (most recently noted by Bus Hunter on the Blue Line), I don't think they want to keep Wilson NB out of service for maybe a year and dump all its passengers at Lawrence (again, possible, but not likely).

41 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Up to then I was with you, but since they have to tear out the center platform, what platform would serve NB Red on new Track 3? While there have been instances of "Ride to the next station, and then take a southbound train" (most recently noted by Bus Hunter on the Blue Line), I don't think they want to keep Wilson NB out of service for maybe a year and dump all its passengers at Lawrence (again, possible, but not likely).

Phase 3, really it's 4 as the first was prelim, is only supposed to be 6 months. What will they do for a nb platform? They could always replank the track 4 station put up the barracade on the west side of it and run some kind of connection under the track to the newer platform or existing old station entrance at the south side of wilson. Sounds like alot of work. They could also just cut the island platform used now in half down the middle. i think they only need a couple feet. But I believe in the project documents they say part of the next phase is the new nb station island at wilson so that points to a track 4 operation only. I think they said this is it for the broadway connection so that says no mezzanine or station house at least on the nb.

Probably i would do just a track 4 bypass/ride by put up some switches at lawrence tower tracks 3 and 4 instead of track 1 and 2. Everyone can just ride back. I think a track 4 wilson station might be too dangerous, they don't need no peter panning off the platform on to wilson. Looks precarious to me just looking at it from track 3, too narrow, too high, too isolated.

Well let's not get all excited about Track 3 being ready, the next phase (if according to schedule) would begin in October-early November, with Track 3 and platform construction. So it looks like Track 2 maybe come the NB Track to use the shared SB platform or either NB Red and Purple line trains using Track 4 and skip stopping Wilson altogether, making Lawrence a temporary transfer point.

We shall see when the time comes!

Please Note: These are just possible scenarios 

4 hours ago, Busjack said:

You said earlier that it's a possibility that NB Red Line trains use Track 2. That means those trains share the very platform that SB Red and Purple Line trains use for passengers with those trains continuing to share Track 1. So NB Purple Line Express trains can use the new track 3 that's also being laid with the new Track 2. If NB Purple Line trains haven't yet stopped at Wilson in the first two phases of the project, why is it so hard to believe that that possibly holds for Phase 3 and therefore NB Purple Line trains not needing a platform yet? And the main reason I'm considering that perhaps the new Track 3 gets completed along with Track 2 is that they stated stages may overlap. So if they finish Track 3, they could theoretically close off access to the current Track 4 but not yet demolish it so that they can get at that current center island platform to take it down along with the old Track 3 and concentrate on constructing the new east platform without the worry of how to do so and operate NB Purple Line trains through there safely while doing so. So basically what I'm picturing is three tracking on new Tracks 1, 2, and 3; close old Track 3 so that it can be demolished; and close off access to old Track 4, but not yet demolishing it so that the old center island platform can be demolished and the new east platform construction can start.

1 hour ago, jajuan said:

You said earlier that it's a possibility that NB Red Line trains use Track 2. That means those trains share the very platform that SB Red and Purple Line trains use for passengers with those trains continuing to share Track 1. So NB Purple Line Express trains can use the new track 3 that's also being laid with the new Track 2.

I didn't mean to imply anything whether NB Purple would be on Track 3 or 4, just that, more than likely, NB Red Line would be on Track 2. Putting them on Track 4 would get them away from the platform construction, though.

2 minutes ago, Busjack said:

I didn't mean to imply anything whether NB Purple would be on Track 3 or 4, just that, more than likely, NB Red Line would be on Track 2. Putting them on Track 4 would get them away from the platform construction, though.

Gotcha. And I was taking your possibility of NB Red on Track 2 and extrapolating from there possible alternative ways they can take out the old Track 3 as well as get the new east platform construction started without too many delays on the NB Purple since from what I saw this morning they went ahead and constructed the  concrete structure that will hold the new Track 3 right along next to the concrete footprint for the new Track 2. 

Some shots of the progress at Wilson/Red. Now they have tracks going down track 2 all the way to the 6 car marker. All the concrete structure is up and uncovered/dry. they are running a geometry type car north of the transfer bridge to align the tracks. They just about got track 2 done. A little aligning a few ties at the south connection do the north connection (probably last) and finish up the rest of the track installation and that's it.

wilson south end of platform.png

track 3 south of transfer bridge.pngnorth end of platform.pngwilso track 2 south of transfer bridge.pnggeometry car on track 2.pngwilson track 2 north of transfer bridge.pngsouth end of track 2 from transfer bridge.png

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Some shots of the progress at Wilson/Red. Now they have tracks going down track 2 all the way to the 6 car marker. All the concrete structure is up and uncovered/dry. they are running a geometry type car north of the transfer bridge to align the tracks. They just about got track 2 done. A little aligning a few ties at the south connection do the north connection (probably last) and finish up the rest of the track installation and that's it.

wilson south end of platform.png

track 3 south of transfer bridge.pngnorth end of platform.pngwilso track 2 south of transfer bridge.pnggeometry car on track 2.pngwilson track 2 north of transfer bridge.pngsouth end of track 2 from transfer bridge.png

I have a strong feeling when they finish Track 2 and it hits October, I'm sure when they start taking down the old platform on the east of the new one, they'll have northbound Red Lines trains sharing the new platform with southbound Red, & Purple Line Express trains. Northbound Purple Line Express trains will probably stay on their current tracks cause if northbound Red Line trains do move to the west platform I'm sure sharing the tracks will results in late delays.

Might be the plan is to open the new track 3 a few months into that phase, demolish the eastern half of the nb platform replace it and build the 4th track and when that opens replace the western portion of the nb platform. It will be the most interesting phase to say the least.

A quick trip over to Wilson/Red line shows this week they have positioned new tracks all the way to the 8 car marker. Over Broadway they have began installing the 3rd rail chairs. They put a tarp over part of track 2 maybe because they cemented tracks into place? They laid out some plastic ties at the far south end of the concrete structure. looks like mostly they just need some ties at the south end and tracks and connect the south and north ends and they're done.

wilson track 2 covered up.PNG

wilson red line south end of platform 8-6.PNG

wilson completed north end of tracks 8-6.PNG

wilson track 2 covered up.PNG

• 3 weeks later...

And here is the latest happenings at Wilson/Red

They have installed 3rd rail now all the way down from the beginning of the new structure on the north end to the 8 car marker. they also are putting in the ties and plates for the south connection via the new wooden ties on new structure.

wilson 826 track 2 north red.PNG

wilson826 north end red.PNG

wilson 826 track 2 south red.PNG

They have also started placing ties on part of the track 3 that they have finished the structure. I'm trying to figure this out. Maybe it's so they can build a south part of the station so they can use it and try to connect it to the old station temporarily. The next phase will be most interesting

wilson826 track 3 red.PNG

wilson826 west perspectv red.PNG

wilson 826 track 3 west perspective red.PNG

wilson 826 track 3 detail red.PNG

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

They have also started placing ties on part of the track 3 that they have finished the structure. I'm trying to figure this out. Maybe it's so they can build a south part of the station so they can use it and try to connect it to the old station temporarily.

It looks like there is enough room between the old a new platforms to build track 3, but if they were to open track 3 at the same time as track 2, you are right that they would need some connection to the station to run Red Line trains on new track 3. Maybe they run Purple Line trains on new track 3 and just rip out everything east of there. As you indicate, we'll have to wait and see.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

It looks like there is enough room between the old a new platforms to build track 3, but if they were to open track 3 at the same time as track 2, you are right that they would need some connection to the station to run Red Line trains on new track 3. Maybe they run Purple Line trains on new track 3 and just rip out everything east of there. As you indicate, we'll have to wait and see.

I don't know if you look at the footprint, like i was yesterday of the new sb platform, it's a good 20 feet wide. I suppose if they built the first 10 feet they would be within regulations, if they needed to be within regulations. 20 feet would cut into existing track 3 and maybe even be up to track 4. This may be why track 2 is built two months ahead of scheduled finish is they intend to do something with this track 3 for the last 2 months. Somehow though they would still have to switch into track 2 to use track 3 and the rail configs are not showing that. It's showing straight track

3 hours ago, Busjack said:

I said something similar a few months ago as far as possible Purple Line use of track 3 in the NB direction given the straight configuration, and had the thought quickly shutdown as an impossible thought.9_9xD

2 hours ago, jajuan said:

I said something similar a few months ago as far as possible Purple Line use of track 3 in the NB direction given the straight configuration, and had the thought quickly shutdown as an impossible thought.9_9xD

I'm sure the assumption was the existing track 3, not that they would have built new tracks 2 and 3 at the same time.

3 minutes ago, Busjack said:

I'm sure the assumption was the existing track 3, not that they would have built new tracks 2 and 3 at the same time.

Um no. I made that statement based on my noticing their having a concrete footprint freshly laid at the time of new tracks 2 and 3 and not just track 2. I specifically referenced the new track 3, not the existing track 3 which will be the next to get torn out. 

55 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Um no. I made that statement based on my noticing their having a concrete footprint freshly laid at the time of new tracks 2 and 3 and not just track 2. I specifically referenced the new track 3, not the existing track 3 which will be the next to get torn out. 

Well, maybe you foresaw more than others of us did.

On 8/28/2016 at 0:12 AM, andrethebusman said:

What is up on Red today? Monitors at 95th saying NB trains not making any stops Sheridan to Howard, but no paper notices in station.

22 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

I was caught off guard by this yesterday, they only seemed to have notices at the stations that were skipped.

Weekend track construction on the north end related to the Wilson Station Reconstruction Project. Notices were up on the downtown and north side stations. CTA also placed a notice on the weekend alerts page of the website.