Wilson Red/Purple Line Station Rebuild

BusHunter

Just now, BusHunter said:

Yeah but you wouldnt know you couldnt transfer at wilson so you would get off. Bottom line is they need to have signs on the platform i didnt see any.

Then you take the next train to Lawrence. You wasted 5 minutes. Alternatively if you have a pass or transfer on your Ventra card, you go to the street and use the other entrance.

I assume a cut will be made this weekend at both ends of Wilson connecting old 3 and new 2 south of Wilson and south of Lawrence. At that point old 2 is disconnected at both ends and dead. Once new 2 is completed thru the station, there will be a cut made at again both ends connecting old 1 with old 2, and old 1 is OOS. This will be done once the east platform is completed. Then the final phase involves reconnecting old 1 to the north and south, restoring the NB express track, then (not necessarily on same weekend) 2 gets reconnected, so all NB trains now use east platform, then 3 gets reconnected so SB locals are on their proper track and SB expresses are on theirs. Don't need any permanent crossovers here at all, just temporary cutovers, and no conflicting moves.

On 9/17/2016 at 3:46 PM, BusHunter said:

They cant do anything south of waveland unless you want no sb red line service at addison. Even there what about sheridan?

BH I didn't say that they were going to do anything south of Waveland. I said they might configure any temporary crossings similar to how the crossings look south of Waveland to get trains from Track 3 over to Track 2 at the Wilson station. That's a huge difference. You have to read a little more carefully there. xD9_9

On 9/19/2016 at 3:19 PM, BusHunter said:

Yeah but you wouldnt know you couldnt transfer at wilson so you would get off. Bottom line is they need to have signs on the platform i didnt see any.

That's just it. The CTA made clear on the notices that you no longer can transfer at Wilson when they stated in the notices that the transfer bridge was closed as of last Thursday morning.

22 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Ill be over there tomorrow for some shots.

They just seem to be tearing down the old station over wilson only so far but they are starting to remove track 3 up  around broadway. They put some more wood on track 4. Maybe they are worried about it becoming  unstable. I'll have some shots put up later. I can't get over how wide new wilson is. Its massive. You know if they could get that one elevator running they could actually say wilson is accessible to wheelchairs.

38 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

They just seem to be tearing down the old station over wilson only so far but they are starting to remove track 3 up  around broadway. They put some more wood on track 4. Maybe they are worried about it becoming  unstable. I'll have some shots put up later. I can't get over how wide new wilson is. Its massive. You know if they could get that one elevator running they could actually say wilson is accessible to wheelchairs.

I seen the wood installment on Track 4 as well. Better safe than sorry, and the new station is definitely gonna be big when it's done. And I was thinking the same thing about the elevator, but I'll sure they'll finish up with the west platform while working on the east platform, if so maybe by early 2017 they'll get that current elevator operational.

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Here's the new station wow that is really wide. Might be the widest at cta.

The standard of comparison is Belmont and Fullerton. In both those cases, they said that there were minimum radii for wheelchairs. However, in both those cases, CTA was limited by having to condemn property east of the tracks, while at Wilson CTA owned all the property to do this project, and hence was not constrained.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's some more shots of Wilson demolition in progress still. Now only the north part of the platform remains.

wilson track 3 removal and station removal.png

wilson track 3 removal over wilson.png

wilson track 3 removal.png

whats left of wilson station.png

I uploaded a youtube video showing a flyby of the overall demolition so you can see it on a little broader scale. Sure does seem funny only having the one track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNBVfHrzaM8&feature=youtu.be

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Got some more shots old Wilson's almost gone and so is the oldest wood platform at CTA  circa 1982.

Here's the shots. It looks funny just track 4 sitting over there alone. If you notice they have the structure sitting on the temporary piers so I guess the structure is no longer supported by it's original piers. Shots are from south to north

wilson south end of old structure 10-28-16.PNG

over wilson 10-28-16.PNG

north side of wilson 10-28-16.PNG

whats left of old wilson 10-28-16.PNG

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

The end of an era. Kind of sad, but the CTA is on to much better things.

I don't recall anyone bemoaning the torching of the Wilson Shops, an eyesore if there ever was one. This comes close.

17 hours ago, Busjack said:

I don't recall anyone bemoaning the torching of the Wilson Shops, an eyesore if there ever was one. This comes close.

If I'm not mistaken,  the Wilson stop was consistently voted the worst L station in the entire CTA system according to Redeye.   Besides being old and raggedy,  it was a very unsafe station as is the area along Wilson from Sheridan to Truman College. 

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

If I'm not mistaken,  the Wilson stop was consistently voted the worst L station in the entire CTA system according to Redeye.   Besides being old and raggedy,  it was a very unsafe station as is the area along Wilson from Sheridan to Truman College. 

It was, except for one time Sheridan was voted worst. I still thought the unused platforms looked interesting. Interestingly the first time I stepped off a train at Wilson, it was onto the new platform. Very nice.

• 5 weeks later...