2600-series - Updates & Retirements

BusHunter

Oh man. Chicago, Division and maybe Grand are in the worst conditions to me. They look worse than Harrison before it got rehabbed and it still needs work.

Oh I agree! Most of the station s along the OHare portion are in poor condition!  CTA just dosent give the Blue attention like it does for the Green and Red lines!  The Red has been updated from Cermak all the way to 95th! The north portion is in the works!  The Green has seen a total rebuild, new stations. The Logan Sq portion of the Blue from Division to Logan Sq is  just as aged as the Green line and it dosent get the attention that it should.  

Oh I agree! Most of the station s along the OHare portion are in poor condition!  CTA just dosent give the Blue attention like it does for the Green and Red lines!  The Red has been updated from Cermak all the way to 95th! The north portion is in the works!  The Green has seen a total rebuild, new stations. The Logan Sq portion of the Blue from Division to Logan Sq is  just as aged as the Green line and it dosent get the attention that it should.  

People (or at least some person) praised the job that was done last year on the elevated stations at that point. Apparently, as I indicated, not much of a job, from what you say.

In fairness, I've always thought that upkeep at Logan Square and Belmont were rather good. To me, I see a piece of preserved history (helped along by the lighting). 

Are you willing to put up with a two year shutdown (like the  Green Line) to get those stations, track, etc, rebuilt?  Even if the answer is yes, I don't think riders north of Logan Sq would.  The O'Hare segment of the Blue Line is the second busiest segment of L service after the Howard branch of the Red Line.  BTW, the 95th branch of the  Red Line suffered a 5 month shut down recently.

Are you willing to put up with a two year shutdown (like the  Green Line) to get those stations, track, etc, rebuilt?  Even if the answer is yes, I don't think riders north of Logan Sq would.  The O'Hare segment of the Blue Line is the second busiest segment of L service after the Howard branch of the Red Line.  BTW, the 95th branch of the  Red Line suffered a 5 month shut down recently.

There's nothing really wrong with the tracks with recent rehabs, the only part that hasn't been done is the kimball subway. Mostly what needs to be done is some cosmetic work on the stations. The milwaukee elevated segment has at least been updated. They could work wonders on the dearborn and milwaukee subway stations just by putting acoustical panels on the walls, painting, putting marble tile on the floor and in the mezzanine and maybe new tiles around the stairs. A couple months per station. Not that hard. Did anyone notice a big improvement with Clark/division when they installed just those items i mentioned? That was just as cruddy as some of these milwaukee subway stops and it looks great now. 

• Upvote 3

In fairness, I've always thought that upkeep at Logan Square and Belmont were rather good. To me, I see a piece of preserved history (helped along by the lighting). 

Ill agree with BusJacks statement about the condition of Logan Square and Belmont.  But Addison, Irving Park, Montrose, Jeff Pk, Cumberland IMO, are in such disrepair. River Rd on the other hand could use just some cleaning up, some repainting. The Rosemont yard has new yard lighting and the railcars!???  Well we wont go there!!!  The yard is upsetting to look at everytime I pass it!!!.

There's nothing really wrong with the tracks with recent rehabs, the only part that hasn't been done is the kimball subway. Mostly what needs to be done is some cosmetic work on the stations. The milwaukee elevated segment has at least been updated. They could work wonders on the dearborn and milwaukee subway stations just by putting acoustical panels on the walls, painting, putting marble tile on the floor and in the mezzanine and maybe new tiles around the stairs. A couple months per station. Not that hard. Did anyone notice a big improvement with Clark/division when they installed just those items i mentioned? That was just as cruddy as some of these milwaukee subway stops and it looks great now. 

I know .  But sw said this:

The Green has seen a total rebuild, new stations. The Logan Sq portion of the Blue from Division to Logan Sq is  just as aged as the Green line and it dosent get the attention that it should.  

I know .  But sw said this:

The Green has seen a total rebuild, new stations. The Logan Sq portion of the Blue from Division to Logan Sq is  just as aged as the Green line and it dosent get the attention that it should.  

Overstated, as Oak Park Ave. to Central didn't get much of anything. Rest was made accessible, but as you pointed out with regard to a shutdown, it was shut down for about 2 years 20 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Cumberland bus driveway has hideous holes. Jeff Park was really bad, but a couple of weeks they filled most with blacktop, though some sunken sewers remain. By the way, how many remember that when the lines were brand new, the walkways over the highway lanes at both Jeff and 95/Ryan had no walls, just a fence? You think it's windy now??

• 2 weeks later...

I went past both yards on the Red Line today and it looks like most of the remaining 2600-series cars are gone from the Red Line.  I only saw 3197-3198 in the 98th yard.  Howard yard had about 16 to 20 cars- besides the Holiday train, but most of those were the graffiti cars like 2921-2922 and a few Blue Line cars getting serviced.

A shutdown like the Red Line a few years ago wouldn't even be possible on the Blue Line because of the number of riders and there isn't a nearby line like the Red Line had with the Green line to take up some of the traffic, and the Brown Line doesn't count.

I went past both yards on the Red Line today and it looks like most of the remaining 2600-series cars are gone from the Red Line.  I only saw 3197-3198 in the 98th yard.  Howard yard had about 16 to 20 cars- besides the Holiday train, but most of those were the graffiti cars like 2921-2922 and a few Blue Line cars getting serviced.

Was any #2600's in service on the red line when you looked? Pcclcars said a new group of cars came out to 61st yard but he didn't say which ones. I haven't been keeping track lately but some of the red line cars were absorbed on the blue like #2713-14. But i have seem to lost track of the rest of the #2600's on the red.

BusHunter, the run number in the cab on the end had a #7--. Did they come from Orange?  And what about the two gap trains that sit north of Belmont.  They were said to use 2600s.

Yeah but what's that 16 cars? My red line roster has 60 #2600 cars, if 20 are in the yards, then what happened to the other 20-40 cars? (20 if the gap train was in use, 40 if it was not) They didn't just go poof!!

Was any #2600's in service on the red line when you looked? Pcclcars said a new group of cars came out to 61st yard but he didn't say which ones. I haven't been keeping track lately but some of the red line cars were absorbed on the blue like #2713-14. But i have seem to lost track of the rest of the #2600's on the red.

I made my observations midday so I don't think any were in service at that time.

Yeah but what's that 16 cars? My red line roster has 60 #2600 cars, if 20 are in the yards, then what happened to the other 20-40 cars? (20 if the gap train was in use, 40 if it was not) They didn't just go poof!!

The Red Line lost about 20 to 30 of those 60 cars a few weeks back- mostly the lower numbered cars.  I've personally seen 2611-2612, 2651-2652, 2707-2708, 2713-2714, 2715, 2716, 2873-2874, 2835-2836, 2773-2774, 2687-2688 to the Blue Line and the Blue Line sent a few cars to the Orange Line like 2683-2684, 2695-2696.  In fact, the only low numbered 2600-series set I've seen on the Red Line is the mismate 2721-2632 and this has been for over a month.

• Upvote 3

I made my observations midday so I don't think any were in service at that time.

The Red Line lost about 20 to 30 of those 60 cars a few weeks back- mostly the lower numbered cars.  I've personally seen 2611-2612, 2651-2652, 2707-2708, 2713-2714, 2715, 2716, 2873-2874, 2835-2836, 2773-2774, 2687-2688 to the Blue Line and the Blue Line sent a few cars to the Orange Line like 2683-2684, 2695-2696.  In fact, the only low numbered 2600-series set I've seen on the Red Line is the mismate 2721-2632 and this has been for over a month.

Thanks!! at least it's a start on figuring out the red line. I got 456 cars on the red line right now. I don't know if that's possible. I know they need 384 for service according to what supervision has told me. So that's way over what they need. Now they undoubtedly will lose the 50 #2600 cars I have left. The 20 extra soon to be 36 #5000 cars might stay or shift to orange, but the other lines like green and pink are bloated with cars and could spare releasing a few. But they might just bloat all the #5000 fleets and send nothing to orange. But that would mean they're up to 200 #2600 scrapping contract would be lucky if it does 80 cars. That would go against what has been said regarding the fleets so far. I see them trimming the pork on this bloating of cars this fall/winter.

• 4 weeks later...

That railcar was probably a scrapped one so it wasn't a waste of money.  Located where it is, the TV script has a "L" being hit by an overhead crane.  Us railfans will be on the lookout to see the train scenes will all use other 2600s, since only 5000s run on the nearest Green/Pink lines. 

Hell, why not some of the 2400s??? :D

• 1 month later...

Someone has informed me of a few more #2600's that have been placed on long term hold. From the Red line #2717-18, #2879-80, #2921-22, #2941-42 are on LTH, so that would leave the Red line down to 10 #2600 cars. Also included in the LTH list are #2931-32 and #3053-54. I've adjusted the rosters to reflect the new info.