BusHunter

2600-series - Service Dates

15 hours ago, Busjack said:

So depending on how one counts 3458, 77 down, 523 still around.

1494 cars total.

It will be interesting to see what happens to 3457 after 3458 is retired. Right now, 3351-3352 and 3435-3436 are still OOS after the incidents. If one of the two cars in the pair(s) are not salvageable, then 3457 can be remarried to one of them. Otherwise, I wonder what might happen with 3457. I don't think 3458 will get a rebuilt traction motor and LED signage and lighting because the car right now is 32 years old.

Guess what I found on the tail track at Ashland/63 today, 04/07, around noon. 8 cars of 2600s, springs unhooked, and two in hundreds numbers....2799-2800, and 3199-3200. Couldn't see the other numbers. I have to get up with some sources to get an explanation. EDIT....Just checked my photo of 04/03, the same consist was there. I never noticed.

DH

P1150979.JPG

P1150983.JPG

P1150982.jpg

• Upvote 3

Mystery solved....the 8-car consist was assigned to Midway as "sleet fighters." They might have been moved from yard tracks to give more storage for Red line reroutes. Two CTA service trucks were working below the tail track structure on Friday. 

DH 

Looks like a retired 2600 has found a home in the new Bulls/Hawks store at the United Center. Can't tell the actual number because they replaced it with 555

H4-170629981.jpg&maxw=600&q=100&cb=20170

• Upvote 4

44 minutes ago, joechicago said:

Looks like a retired 2600 has found a home in the new Bulls/Hawks store at the United Center. Can't tell the actual number because they replaced it with 555

Might be authentic, but might not be, since it is only the section between the doors.

9 hours ago, joechicago said:

My guess if it is an actual fragment of a 2600, it might be part of the O'Hare Station crash when the Rail Operator fell asleep... I know 3061 was cut into pieces and hauled away, but what about it's mate, 3062? It might've been a bit roughed up in the wreckage as it traveled beyond the stopping point to the escalator, but it might've been intact enough at the tail end from 3061 to be reused in this capacity.

19 hours ago, joechicago said:

I forgot to credit the article this photo appeared in:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20170620/BLOGS04/170629981/photos-united-centers-new-madhouse-team-store

Can't wait to see it in person.

18 hours ago, Busjack said:

Might be authentic, but might not be, since it is only the section between the doors.

I thought about that, but it looks way too detailed to be a reproduction. If you look closely at the door, it has the section of rubber edging that was installed later. Also, the peeling don't cross between cars sticker seems like something they wouldn't have put on a reproduction.

54 minutes ago, joechicago said:

I thought about that, but it looks way too detailed to be a reproduction.

WGN TV story refers to "a refurbished CTA train car," so it must be something like the car placed on the apartment building balcony.

1 hour ago, ThirdRailVision said:

Caught a 2600-series work train cruising up the Congress/Racine incline today. Any thoughts as to where it was headed? Are those hopper cars used for ballast?

IMG_3345.mov

There are 2600s that are "work motors" and yes the hoppers are used to carry ballast. Often ballast is loaded on a siding in Evanston. That would be where the train might be headed.

DH

On 6/26/2017 at 10:15 PM, chicagopcclcar said:

There are 2600s that are "work motors" and yes the hoppers are used to carry ballast. Often ballast is loaded on a siding in Evanston. That would be where the train might be headed.

DH

DH, the Evanston sidetrack ( or is it team track?) at South Boulevard, has not been used in years for ballast.  Howard yard is used, the area between the Evanston tracks, right now there is a front end loader there.

• Upvote 1