2600-series - Updates & Retirements

BusHunter

8 hours ago, Shannon CVPI said:

Spotted a 2600 series on the pink line yesterday when I was on 19th & Albany I happened to look over & saw the last 4 cars going pass it was headed to 54th 

Since you say it was an eight car consist,  probably heading to 54th Yard shop. Perhaps there was no room for it at Forest Park nor at Rosemont. 

7 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Since you say it was an eight car consist,  probably heading to 54th Yard shop. Perhaps there was no room for it at Forest Park nor at Rosemont. 

I didn't think of that I thought that 54th MiG have had a part it needed  & IDK If it was a 8 car train just seen the last 4 go by more like 3& a half

• 7 months later...
23 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

so i found out something everyone might be interested in the 2600’s have over 1.5 million miles on em and they were suppose to be retired 5 years ago 

And the 2600s will be in service for another year or two.  The oldest cars will hit 40 years in service next year.  I think the 2200s went 44 years in service.

26 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

yea they went 44 but when 7000’s hit 2600’s will be 41 i think

The oldest 2600s are from 1981.  The last cars in the series are from 1987..  you are probably right seeing that CTA wants to test the 7000s through all 4 weather seasons  before giving the go ahead to proceed with the order.  That could be in late 2021 into early 2022, barring any major setbacks.

17 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

so i found out something everyone might be interested in the 2600’s have over 1.5 million miles on em and they were suppose to be retired 5 years ago 

Yea I found that out weeks ago when I was in the rail yard on the blue line talking with 1 of the shop guys he said he remembers when they was pimp squeaks in his voice with no miles now they are 39 years old & got a million miles cuz he been working at cta 42 years 

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...