Clark/Division Red Line Rehab

BusHunter

I'm not sure why Harrison got a unique design, as the current city standard is this black pseudoVictorian design, installed in recent years at Dearborn/Jackson, Congress/LaSalle, and even at the Polk end of Harrison.  The new Harrison/State kiosk is too close to the curb, and the plate glass on the west sidewalk entrance is regularly scraped and shattered by truck or bus mirrors.  About half the time it's a steel-and-plywood design.

​Probably not enough TIF money to dig a new stairwell.

• 2 months later...

About 2 or 3 weeks ago, they put up the acoustical paneling and turned on the new lighting for the station and wow, what a difference it makes. What was a cruddy station actually now looks respectable. They still had the wooden partitions over the Clark exit but for the most part it looks done. The lighting has been replaced on the Clark stairs and the tiles look finished. That should be opening soon. I think they said the station will be fully open by the summer. Here's some pictures I took of Clark/Division red line post rehab. These are the only shots on the web so far... They made the supervisors booth real nice and at street level they added the Red line signs with the red line under it and on the inside it says Clark/Division in case you don't know where you are. Also in my pictures you can see the new train countdown displays, They even have electricity but looks like they need programming. I don't know what happened to the Orange and Blue line electrician but they have had those signs unelectrified now must be going on 6-9 months. Someone got them to hook up California/Milwaukee, it's been working awhile now. I was reading they want to put bustracking displays in the mezzanine areas of 'L' stations. So people can stay warm in the winter. This is turning out nice!! I just hope it doesn't take 3 years!! xD( Accounting for CTA speed!! xD)

clark_division_platform_7-15.thumb.PNG.e

clark_division_red_line_sign_7-15.thumb.

clark_division_sb_tracks_7-15.thumb.PNG.

clark_division_signs_7-15.thumb.PNG.e94f

clark_division_platform_detail_7-15.thum

clark_division_supervisors_booth_7-15.th

Edited by BusHunter
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Looks like they are getting ready to open Clark's entryway soon. They took down the wood barricades that were surrounding the stairs, put new concrete sidewalks around them and put in a compass rose, which usually is punchlist work and can be done after an opening. I looked down the stairs tiling and everything is done, it even has electricity cause the stairway lights were on. maybe they are waiting for fare equipment to show up. I would expect it to open in a few weeks.

cta_clark_division_rehab_8-14-15_almost_

cta_clark_division_rehab_8-14-15_bottom_

• Upvote 2

TRIVIA.....Why is Clark & Division an island platform? Grand, Chicago, and North & Clybourn are not?...

There's a building above that had its foundations in the way of the desired route that would make Clark/Division have side platforms, so in order to keep the station, they had to make it an island platform so the tubes could pass around the foundation.

See, I do listen during the Snowflake Special! :P

• Upvote 6

There's a building above that had its foundations in the way of the desired route that would make Clark/Division have side platforms, so in order to keep the station, they had to make it an island platform so the tubes could pass around the foundation.

See, I do listen during the Snowflake Special! :P

DING!!!!  Congratulations!!!!

EDIT....Where else in subway system does the two tubes snake around foundations?

Edited by chicagopcclcar

The curves around Washington Red Line? Or the curve entering the State Street Subway before and after North/Clybourn?

Good guesses. For some reason I always thought the Red Line from Jackson to Lake was completely straight like the Blue Line from Jackson to Washington,  but now that I think of it, I do remember curves in the tracks.

The curves between LaSalle and Clinton? There are a lot of sharp turns between those two stations. My second guess is between Clark/Lake and Grand/Milwaukee.

That would be a way of describing it.....DING!!!!  The caissons beneath the Old Post Office.....between LaSalle and Clinton.  The first part of the original trivia.....streets State and Clybourn are 66 ft, narrow, so stations were on the outside.  Milwaukee Ave. is a little more wider, so island stations there.

Edited by chicagopcclcar

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks Like The Clark Street Entrance/Exit Is Reopening Later This Morning. :D

http://www.transitchicago.com/travel_information/alert_detail.aspx?AlertId=30648

Tribune article about the "values of the people" mentioned that Emanuel made the statement at "the opening of a renovated Red Line CTA station at Clark and Division streets."