Blue Line Collision

Kevin

Saw this five days ago and just decided to put this up now.... does this mean John Q. Public has a set of keys and can take a "L" train for a joyride and possibly cause a catastrophic crash, or worse of two "L" trains??? Or are they merely saying if a set of keys was stolen???

Story

They're saying that sets of keys have been stolen and that because the keys are universal among rail cars, it is possible for those stolen keys to be used for unauthorized access to CTA trains. They're not at all saying there are a boatload of keys out there in the wrong hands from what I understand of the story. But as pointed out, in this post-Sept. 11, 2001 world it is still an alarming thing to think about.

They're saying that sets of keys have been stolen and that because the keys are universal among rail cars, it is possible for those stolen keys to be used for unauthorized access to CTA trains. They're not at all saying there are a boatload of keys out there in the wrong hands from what I understand of the story. But as pointed out, in this post-Sept. 11, 2001 world it is still an alarming thing to think about.

Except I pointed out The Taking of Pelham 123 fallacy that they could have turned off power at the substation.

Except that CTA didn't with respect to the ghost train.

Except that they said that yard crew powered up the train, not some vandal.

So, I'm leaving it to the NTSB.

Except I pointed out The Taking of Pelham 123 fallacy that they could have turned off power at the substation.

Except that CTA didn't with respect to the ghost train.

Except that they said that yard crew powered up the train, not some vandal.

So, I'm leaving it to the NTSB.

Ok as am I. But my post sir was to answer sw's question in relation to the news story he linked raising a security point mentioned by the rail unions in that story about stolen keys possibly giving unauthorized access to trains IN GENERAL, not to make any further speculations of that being the case in the recent Blue Line collision at the Congress branch Harlem station.

• 2 years later...

WGN radio said that they just got security video from inside the cars, and has posted it on its website.

They also said (only on the radio) that their request for platform video was denied, because Homeland Security didn't want the position of the cameras revealed.

One is from the back of the runaway train, and shows it stopping and starting. The others are from various cars in the hit train, and show, for instance, one man's gut propelled into the stanchion, but then he was able to get up and pull the door cherry.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

WGN radio said that they just got security video from inside the cars, and has posted it on its website.

They also said (only on the radio) that their request for platform video was denied, because Homeland Security didn't want the position of the cameras revealed.

One is from the back of the runaway train, and shows it stopping and starting. The others are from various cars in the hit train, and show, for instance, one man's gut propelled into the stanchion, but then he was able to get up and pull the door cherry.

Very interesting. There was one guy in a red jacket who throws himself on the floor clearly after the actual collision.

18 hours ago, Busjack said:

Unfortunately it doesn't show much. There is no video of #3177 which buckled and there is no car video of #3131. What it does show is somewhat strange. Why would an operator be closing the door when a collision was imminent? Shouldn't they being telling passengers to evacuate? A train approaching on the same track is not normal!!

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Unfortunately it doesn't show much. There is no video of #3177 which buckled and there is no car video of #3131.

My reaction was maybe there wasn't anything from the lead car of the ghost train because it was "off," but I'm surprised there wasn't anything from the lead car of the hit train showing the ghost train approaching. Not sure if WGN Radio had edited the clip for its own purposes, as later radio news segments had a clip of a personal injury lawyer saying that the video proved that his client suffered whiplash.

You can bet that the NTSB had all the video.