Holiday Train 2013

TheBrunswickBowler

So the Holiday Train has always had Run 568 as it's service run. I've noticed that run has been specialized for the Holiday Train for the last couple of years. Also, it seems that the SC Display light display on the front of the train has been missing since about 2011

Probably allows quick access if the Operator has to leave the train via the front door. That's all I got...

I don't know what it shows on the Train Tracker(I heard it is marked with a candy cane by the run number). Last year when I caught it on the Brown Line, it was Run #1225.

Probably allows quick access if the Operator has to leave the train via the front door. That's all I got...

I don't know what it shows on the Train Tracker(I heard it is marked with a candy cane by the run number). Last year when I caught it on the Brown Line, it was Run #1225.

If it were the usual cars, they have only 3 rollers in the run number box.

568 would indicate (if anything) a Linden or Skokie train, which would make more sense.

If it were the usual cars, they have only 3 rollers in the run number box.

568 would indicate (if anything) a Linden or Skokie train, which would make more sense.

I was referring to the Train Tracker itself... last year the train was marked as run #1225 on it. I know the actual cars show only 3 digits, but the Tracker can probably show as many as the CTA wants to program.

Like the "Farewell 2200's" charter was shown on the tracker as run #2200.

I was referring to the Train Tracker itself... last year the train was marked as run #1225 on it. I know the actual cars show only 3 digits, but the Tracker can probably show as many as the CTA wants to program.

Like the "Farewell 2200's" charter was shown on the tracker as run #2200.

Looks like it's showing as 1225 on Train Tracker this year, plus a cute icon to boot.

edit: I notice that on the Train Tracker it still shows as an Orange Line train through Clark and Lake. I don't see the 1225 run showing up at Merchandise Mart yet, not sure when they switch it over.

post-385-0-67073800-1386365281_thumb.png

Looks like it's showing as 1225 on Train Tracker this year, plus a cute icon to boot.

edit: I notice that on the Train Tracker it still shows as an Orange Line train through Clark and Lake. I don't see the 1225 run showing up at Merchandise Mart yet, not sure when they switch it over.

Going from memory of how they did Orange/Brown combo runs during the Loop Elevated project earlier this year, the train would hit Merchandise Mart right after Clark/Lake.

I will say this, the Brownage was a VERY decent trip for the Holiday Train. Along the Orange Line, it was barely any passengers aboard, the train really didn't start getting packed until Madison/Wabash, where it was still respectable and comfortable. It wasn't until the train got to Sedgwick where things got packed, but overall, it was a great ride from Midway to Kimball via Brownage. The Pink Line will be last comfortable ride of the Holiday Train before it hit's the CTA's two major Rail Lines beginning Thursday, So if you get a chance, ride it this week on Tuesday & Wednesday

• Upvote 1

I will say this, the Brownage was a VERY decent trip for the Holiday Train. Along the Orange Line, it was barely any passengers aboard, the train really didn't start getting packed until Madison/Wabash, where it was still respectable and comfortable. It wasn't until the train got to Sedgwick where things got packed, but overall, it was a great ride from Midway to Kimball via Brownage. The Pink Line will be last comfortable ride of the Holiday Train before it hit's the CTA's two major Rail Lines beginning Thursday, So if you get a chance, ride it this week on Tuesday & Wednesday

I second this post. The Brown/Orange combo is a great run. It can get crowded at some points, but it's usually not. And the ride is worth it even if it does get crowded.

Besides, who doesn't like seeing the reactions of drivers as the train goes through the Brown Line grade crossings?

I have to tell you all: I was driving from Lake Shore Drive last Sat when dark out and saw the train heading north in the loop. It looked so good that I only hope any visitors in Chicago got to see it. I was really proud of our city to have such a great display rolling around. Too bad we can't get vintage buses on the streets like New York does around this time!

• Upvote 2