95th Red Line Station Rebuild

BusHunter

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I initially thought that the platform would be extended south to accommodate entrance from the new south station house.   However,  the article mentioned a pedestrian bridge over 95th Street to connect the two terminals.   Unless the weather is extreme,  no one really wants to go upstairs to cross a bridge then go 2 stories down to catch a train. 

The platform extension is shown in the first rendering on the Sun-Times page. I think the bridge over 95th is intended for bus-to-bus transfers.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I initially thought that the platform would be extended south to accommodate entrance from the new south station house.   However,  the article mentioned a pedestrian bridge over 95th Street to connect the two terminals.   Unless the weather is extreme,  no one really wants to go upstairs to cross a bridge then go 2 stories down to catch a train. 

That's been in the plan from the beginning The environmental impact statement said they had to condemn a couple of lots in the 9400 block of S. State to have a place to stage the bridge. There was no need to condemn a couple of gas stations and beauty parlors otherwise.

51 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

The platform extension is shown in the first rendering on the Sun-Times page. I think the bridge over 95th is intended for bus-to-bus transfers.

The question on that is if the south house will have escalators, elevators, and fare collection equipment. Nothing like that can be divined from the depiction.

Not reflected in the on line Sun-Times but in the paper was a depiction of either a NABI artic or a Pace bus.

Here's a few more rendering's from Crain's. It looks to me like the two bus stations will rest in the footprint of the rail station so I don't see why each side couldn't access the rail station independently. I think the bus pedestrian bridge will be more for bus to bus transfers or lost people who don't know where there bus stops.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20160617/BLOGS02/160619859/cta-jazzes-up-design-of-new-95th-street-terminal

More food for thought. The article claims the #34, #71 and #119 will be beefed up and CTA just took away 8-10 buses? Something does not compute here. All this is happening on Monday correct? (that's what the article seems to depict)

11 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Here's a few more rendering's from Crain's. It looks to me like the two bus stations will rest in the footprint of the rail station so I don't see why each side couldn't access the rail station independently. I think the bus pedestrian bridge will be more for bus to bus transfers or lost people who don't know where there bus stops.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20160617/BLOGS02/160619859/cta-jazzes-up-design-of-new-95th-street-terminal

Same renderings as on CTA site

Note that if the north station house is the one on the left, how much bigger it is than the one on the right.

11 hours ago, BusHunter said:

More food for thought. The article claims the #34, #71 and #119 will be beefed up and CTA just took away 8-10 buses? Something does not compute here. All this is happening on Monday correct? (that's what the article seems to depict)

Fall pick, noted here several times.

15 hours ago, BusHunter said:

You forgot the part where both the 95th street buses merging together into one.

21 hours ago, geneking7320 said:

I am curious what the patterns of the bus routes will be when the construction is complete.

Will the south of 95th section handle routes from the west and the north of 95th handle routes from the east?

1 hour ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

You forgot the part where both the 95th street buses merging together into one.

Putting 2 plus 2 together

On Gene's point, the only through route providing the possibility of staying on the same side of the street by splitting the terminals is the combined 95. Anything else would have to make a left turn, as it either comes from and returns to Halsted or Vincennes on the west, or to or from Michigan, King, and Cottage to the east.

Hence, one can't really predict at the moment.

22 hours ago, geneking7320 said:

I am curious what the patterns of the bus routes will be when the construction is complete.

Will the south of 95th section handle routes from the west and the north of 95th handle routes from the east?

I would think the opposite, this way vehicles would be making right turns exiting and lefts coming in. I suppose it doesn't matter if there will be traffic lights but it would probably be better to have standing traffic on 95th versus the terminal.

I imagine that the heaviest ridership routes and those with owl service will remain in the north station with the lighter, less frequency routes get the south terminal.   For example,  106 , 103, 100, 111, 112, 115, 359,353 could be south, with 34,119,108,352,95, 381 and 29 north with Greyhound N5 and N9

On 6/19/2016 at 4:51 PM, artthouwill said:

I imagine that the heaviest ridership routes and those with owl service will remain in the north station with the lighter, less frequency routes get the south terminal.   For example,  106 , 103, 100, 111, 112, 115, 359,353 could be south, with 34,119,108,352,95, 381 and 29 north with Greyhound N5 and N9

Unless its a short turn, you wouldn't need the 95 on either terminal, since its going straight through.

8 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

Unless its a short turn, you wouldn't need the 95 on either terminal, since its going straight through.

However, the intent seems to be to serve passengers in the terminal, rather than on the street, to facilitate transfers.

The 85 bus doesn't just pass Jefferson Park. I don't think that any bus (such as 9) just passes an Orange Line multimodal point.

29 minutes ago, Busjack said:

However, the intent seems to be to serve passengers in the terminal, rather than on the street, to facilitate transfers.

The 85 bus doesn't just pass Jefferson Park. I don't think that any bus (such as 9) just passes an Orange Line multimodal point.

It wouldn't make any sense to have another bus going into the terminal, since passengers could access the 95th terminal on either side. Otherwise, why are they're building a pedestrian bridge to connect to the two houses?

So that means when the westbound bus gets to State and alights the passengers at mid-bridge, they have to go around the terminal and then come back out and proceed west of State, instead of having a bus stop at mid-bridge so they don't have to go into the terminal? That's eating up several minutes if they do it the long way.

4 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

It wouldn't make any sense to have another bus going into the terminal, since passengers could access the 95th terminal on either side. Otherwise, why are they're building a pedestrian bridge to connect to the two houses?

That's not what I meant. I meant like if someone on 95 from Damen wanted to transfer to 119, not the train.

Same as if someone on 85 wants to transfer to 68 or 270.

42 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

So that means when the westbound bus gets to State and alights the passengers at mid-bridge, they have to go around the terminal and then come back out and proceed west of State, instead of having a bus stop at mid-bridge so they don't have to go into the terminal? That's eating up several minutes if they do it the long way.

There's no mid block entrance to the station from 95th Street.   It didn't appear on the renderings that there will be a 95th Street entrance,  hence the pedestrian bridge to connect the two terminals. 

Besides,  in the past when 95th was one route it went to the terminal and not street side. 

• 2 months later...
On 6/21/2016 at 6:00 PM, artthouwill said:

There's no mid block entrance to the station from 95th Street.   It didn't appear on the renderings that there will be a 95th Street entrance,  hence the pedestrian bridge to connect the two terminals. 

Besides,  in the past when 95th was one route it went to the terminal and not street side. 

Well we now know that that whole discussion is moot in regards to the 95 because CTA will have the EB 95 going into the terminal and the WB buses of the route stopping on 95th Street. The premise for that setup of course is for riders to be able to transfer to other Dan Ryan routes without having to cross the street. WB riders are already on the same side of the street as the terminal if coming from a WB bus. So no need of the WB buses to go into the terminal. EB buses though would need to pull into the terminal to continue the current easy access to other buses in the terminal. Despite CircleSeven's argument about losing minutes pulling into the bus terminal, I think riders wouldn't be bothered by EB buses on the 95 pulling into the terminal since it eliminates a need to cross the street to get to other buses, which they may find themselves needing to do every once in a while. 

3 hours ago, jajuan said:

Well we now know that that whole discussion is moot in regards to the 95 because CTA will have the EB 95 going into the terminal and the WB buses of the route stopping on 95th Street. The premise for that setup of course is for riders to be able to transfer to other Dan Ryan routes without having to cross the street. WB riders are already on the same side of the street as the terminal if coming from a WB bus. So no need of the WB buses to go into the terminal. EB buses though would need to pull into the terminal to continue the current easy access to other buses in the terminal. Despite CircleSeven's argument about losing minutes pulling into the bus terminal, I think riders wouldn't be bothered by EB buses on the 95 pulling into the terminal since it eliminates a need to cross the street to get to other buses, which they may find themselves needing to do every once in a while. 

True.   I also believe that this may be construction related as well.   

23 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

True.   I also believe that this may be construction related as well.   

Maybe. Maybe not as as nothing else in the terminal changed besides the 381 reportedly and also given we don't know how the setup of routes will be after construction is complete. At this point it's more to do with connecting to the other routes since all routes are still in the current terminal. 

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, garmon757 said:

Looks like the first phase of the 95th St Reconstruction has more grounds broken.

Looks like the second one illustrates the left lane of NB i-57 closed, as announced, but it looks like traffic from I-94 is choked. Second one also illustrates that one yard track is out.

6 hours ago, Busjack said:

Looks like the second one illustrates the left lane of NB i-57 closed, as announced, but it looks like traffic from I-94 is choked. Second one also illustrates that one yard track is out.

Only one lane is closed on the NB side everyday and two lanes closed on the SB side during late nights. Indeed, the southbound track has been removed. However they have to replace the northbound track (in order to push back the crossover tracks entering/departing the yard) after the southbound one is put back in place. 

On Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 9:36 AM, garmon757 said:

Looks like the first phase of the 95th St Reconstruction has more grounds broken.

IMG_0219.JPG

IMG_0220.JPG

You know the construction geek in me says what it looks like they will be doing is building up the south bus terminal along with building a south 95th red line station then closing the north side one while that side gets rebuilt. So what then they will have a sort of double tracked intermodal station similar to 54th/cermak, only difference is this will be an island station serving 2 tracks? That could be beneficial because you have a space for maybe 4 trains. With howard having so much space with its platforms and yard and turn around I guess it's about time the south side gets something that works for the modern age not 1969. Having the exwy there is an additional challenge though. I suppose that's the only way to design it so it works. 

Thanks for the pics garmon!! 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

You know the construction geek in me says what it looks like they will be doing is building up the south bus terminal along with building a south 95th red line station then closing the north side one while that side gets rebuilt. So what then they will have a sort of double tracked intermodal station similar to 54th/cermak, only difference is this will be an island station serving 2 tracks? That could be beneficial because you have a space for maybe 4 trains. With howard having so much space with its platforms and yard and turn around I guess it's about time the south side gets something that works for the modern age not 1969. Having the exwy there is an additional challenge though. I suppose that's the only way to design it so it works. 

Thanks for the pics garmon!! 

The  question  I have  is how this works in  relationship to the  proposed  extension to  130th, assuming that  is real.

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

The  question  I have  is how this works in  relationship to the  proposed  extension to  130th, assuming that  is real.

As far as rail, the yard is supposed to be moved to about 122nd, and somehow they are supposed to get a double track on an elevated structure north of I-57 and then across I-57 around Stewart.

If you are asking bus, I still don't see it, as there are supposed to be intermodal stations along the route, including a big one at Michigan-115th.