95th Red Line Station Rebuild

BusHunter

Well if thats the case then they will most likely do both projects together. The structure at Sheridan could possibly be widened to the east but it would make the curve sharper. They could also just turn the sb span a little earlier to the south and maybe buy two or 3 buildings. The only way i see irving pk happening is buying off practically the whole block on the south side of irving between the curves and do a station on 140 degree angle still though the north curve would be an issue unless the yellow brick building on the corner was bought too.

3 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Well if thats the case then they will most likely do both projects together. The structure at Sheridan could possibly be widened to the east but it would make the curve sharper. They could also just turn the sb span a little earlier to the south and maybe buy two or 3 buildings. The only way i see irving pk happening is buying off practically the whole block on the south side of irving between the curves and do a station on 140 degree angle still though the north curve would be an issue unless the yellow brick building on the corner was bought too.

Hey, you've got it in the wrong topic again.

It's got to be fair for all the big lines as well, @chicagopcclcar, not just the Red Line. Red Line south of Addison links along with the Brown Line for Belmont and Fullerton, so if you put a 10-car station there, why not extend all the Brown Line stations, too? Brown Line is a busy rail line(3rd busiest in the CTA, I believe aside from the Blue and Red Lines). But if you extend there, the Brown Line will have to have full extensions along the Kimball Branch and through the North Side Main Line into the Loop Elevated. Then you run into where they share platforms with the Purple Line, Pink Line, Green Line and Orange Line. To be fair, you'll have to allow them the possibility of 10-car trains, too. Orange Line could probably use it, serving Midway Airport. Purple Line for Cubs baseball when they serve Addison.

It wouldn't be fair to just extend the Red Line and not the rest.

7 hours ago, sw4400 said:

It's got to be fair for all the big lines as well, @chicagopcclcar, not just the Red Line. Red Line south of Addison links along with the Brown Line for Belmont and Fullerton, so if you put a 10-car station there, why not extend all the Brown Line stations, too? Brown Line is a busy rail line(3rd busiest in the CTA, I believe aside from the Blue and Red Lines). But if you extend there, the Brown Line will have to have full extensions along the Kimball Branch and through the North Side Main Line into the Loop Elevated. Then you run into where they share platforms with the Purple Line, Pink Line, Green Line and Orange Line. To be fair, you'll have to allow them the possibility of 10-car trains, too. Orange Line could probably use it, serving Midway Airport. Purple Line for Cubs baseball when they serve Addison.

It wouldn't be fair to just extend the Red Line and not the rest.

Aren't  most of the  Loop stations  10 car length?  Adams/Wabash  Randolph/Wabash  and  State/Lake I believe  are. 

7 hours ago, sw4400 said:

along with the Brown Line for Belmont and Fullerton, so if you put a 10-car station there, why not extend all the Brown Line stations, too

Due to the angle at the end of the platforms, the outer tracks are designed only for 8. The rest of the Brown Line, one has to consider whether there is 500 feet for platforms between street crossings, and since the substations needed to be upgraded to go from 6 to 8 car trains, whether they were sufficiently upgraded to go to 10. In any event, it isn't going to happen.

It is a good suggestion though for the brown line. One reason they have so many train runs are capacity related. I don't know why they just didn't extend platforms for the brown line reconstruction. If they want to run all these trains in the loop just think if they could eliminate a few runs how much faster it could be.

• 2 months later...

Damn was driving down the Ryan the other day and noticed that they installed a new bus bridge south of 95th. Where is our south side news crew? You all need to represent!! xD Unfortunately I forgot my GoPro at the store!! xD Now I have to scramble the net and see if CTA posted something on Facebook. If they didn't shame on them. It's only a $200 million dollar station. (I kid because I care)

On 7/5/2017 at 7:09 PM, BusHunter said:

Damn was driving down the Ryan the other day and noticed that they installed a new bus bridge south of 95th. Where is our south side news crew? You all need to represent!! xD Unfortunately I forgot my GoPro at the store!! xD Now I have to scramble the net and see if CTA posted something on Facebook. If they didn't shame on them. It's only a $200 million dollar station. (I kid because I care)

On 7/5/2017 at 7:11 PM, Juniorz said:

I'm sure they are documenting the project, at least someone in the infrastructure department,.

Sorry guys but my new job has been taking up a toll as of lately and I'm in the process of getting a camera soon because of storage conflict with my phone. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, garmon757 said:

Sorry guys but my new job has been taking up a toll as of lately and I'm in the process of getting a camera soon because of storage conflict with my phone. 

That's OK, i was just joking. I try to give 110 percent of myself, that's just my personality. i can barely squeeze in these weekly visits to Wilson/Red line, but I get the job done mainly fueled by my passion on this subject. I've recently got unlimited access to the net, so maybe it makes it that much easier to get the goodies online.

My concern was more that CTA is not doing this, so far. Isn't there like a propaganda dept, where they showcase stuff like this? It's weird they showcase equipment like the Community bus, Pride train, Vintage vehicle fleet, but they don't showcase the stations. Not even anything much on Chicago-l.org. Hmm... this makes me wonder. It's nice though the feedback I've been getting on Youtube. At least I feel like I'm not doing this for nothing, even though I'm getting something out of it.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

My concern was more that CTA is not doing this, so far. Isn't there like a propaganda dept, where they showcase stuff like this? It's weird they showcase equipment like the Community bus, Pride train, Vintage vehicle fleet, but they don't showcase the stations.

There is the Monthly Construction Report, and the June one  has some pictures. However, all the average passenger cares about is that it is not open yet and midday train service is only alternating trains. You can bet that Mayor Emanuel will be there when it opens.

• Kevin unpinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

A couple pictures from Thursday

20170817_194239.jpg

20170817_194304.jpg

Could you describe the perspective of these shots? I can see @BusHunter 's  point that the tall steel is for the pedesrrian area, but it looks llke the station entrance has been severed from the part of the existing station (the rusty part).

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

Could you describe the perspective of these shots? I can see @BusHunter 's  point that the tall steel is for the pedesrrian area, but it looks llke the station entrance has been severed from the part of the existing station (the rusty part).

If you look at Chicago-l.org at the 95th street station they have a shot from 1973 from the 95th street bridge that shows the same buildings. The only thing that's been removed is the white gate/fence at the end. But see how they are building a platform extension there? It looks like in the new station rendering they want to have this grandiose entrance off of the 95th street bridge, something new, but I don't really understand why a bridge is not in the rendering above it. I could be wrong but live traffic is not allowed on CTA property (as depicted in the rendering) so that would rule out the bus bridges, plus the perspective wouldn't be right for Lafayette or the other street (State?) 

In a way it makes sense if you figure the pedestrian bridge is an unpaid area, it would then decend into the unpaid 95th street entrance via escalator/elevator/stair. The area past the turnstile would then go down to the platform, but theoretically that could only work if the bus bridges were disconnected from the paid areas and people would be forced to use the pedestrian bridges to get to the train. Now I can see people complaining that they have to climb stairs a level to decend two levels when they could just decend the one level. Hopefully the architects took this into consideration or you have the folly of 95th station. o.O

The view is from the east side of the station, basically from the 108/352`stop. 

The rusty steel is the new south station house, the gray steel that only rises to about street level is the new north station house. You can also see the new platform that is being built under 95th so that riders can access both bus stations easily. I believe that the new overhead bridge (not in construction yet) will be for riders who are transferring between buses. 

The second picture is of the northbound track (which has been removed) and the associated platform work. 

3 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

The view is from the east side of the station, basically from the 108/352`stop. 

The rusty steel is the new south station house, the gray steel that only rises to about street level is the new north station house. You can also see the new platform that is being built under 95th so that riders can access both bus stations easily. I believe that the new overhead bridge (not in construction yet) will be for riders who are transferring between buses. 

The second picture is of the northbound track (which has been removed) and the associated platform work. 

By the rusty part, I meant the square building with the awning windows. I agree that the gray steel is the base for the north station, but  (following @BusHunter's link), there never was a station entrance on 95th, and thus it is not clear from either perspective whether the pedestrian bridge to Lafayette Ave. is still there, which is what had me confused.

Thanks.

Ah, I see what you meant. They haven't touched the bus terminal yet. I don't know the staging schedule, but perhaps they are waiting until the south bus terminal, entrance, and platform extension are finished before working on the north terminal. That looks to be a year out or so still. 

13 minutes ago, Tcmetro said:

Ah, I see what you meant. They haven't touched the bus terminal yet. I don't know the staging schedule, but perhaps they are waiting until the south bus terminal, entrance, and platform extension are finished before working on the north terminal. That looks to be a year out or so still. 

The CTA site says late 2018, so you are correct. Given that the scope is to build a new north entrance, instead of "gussying up" an existing one my guess would be that that's ambitious.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

The CTA site says late 2018, so you are correct. Given that the scope is to build a new north entrance, instead of "gussying up" an existing one my guess would be that that's ambitious.

Yeah that makes sense from a construction perspective this way they can use the north terminal until they have the south and switch over operations from north to south. 

29 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah that makes sense from a construction perspective this way they can use the north terminal until they have the south and switch over operations from north to south. 

I don't know if it is even that, but the question is when they will deal with the 2 pedestrian bridges to the State St. and Lafayette Ave. sides, and I assume tear down the ugly building with the awning windows.

I don't know what they have planned for the existing bus terminal, but the renderings for the south one don't show sufficient capacity to handle the north terminal's traffic.I guess that with the platform extension, the south station could handle passenger traffic to the platform.

I went and re-read the EA, and it sounds like the north terminal will be rehabilitated, not replaced. The renderings show some pretty significant modifications to the existing building facade. I think that with the rehab, it would be possible for only a partial closure of the north side bus bays. 

I wonder what will happen to the 29 routing at the terminal once everything is complete. The diagram in the EA suggests that the north bus bridge will only be accessible from 95th and not from State/Lafayette.