BusHunter

95th Red Line Station Rebuild

129 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, Busjack said:

The question is why they are re-laying the track, not whether they are doing a competent job of it (if I wasn't previously clear).

BTW, your original picture had the southbound track out; looks like that's replaced and the northbound track is now out.

https://chitransit.org/topic/3316-95thred-line-station-rendering/?page=4#comment-93899

Way to go garmon757....you quoted me while you gave Busjack information. LOL! I finally did a check to see just what a person sees when the infamous feature of this forum is elected.  A person sees when I start a topic...see when I posted a response....doesn't see the response unless someone quoted me, then the response is reproduced in its entirety. Of course, one never knows when a person does or still does not "ignore user." Personally, I think this feature is one that has a effect of cowardice. One never knows.

DH

Current progress underneath. 

IMG_0266.JPG

Maybe both berths will have a twenty car capacity. Someone mentioned the Pink line terminal with their arrival berth on the far end and the departure berth towards the main line. But 95th will not have crossovers. With capacity for two road trains, maybe two layups in the PM's, they could use the southern half and both berth as the same time and the next road train departure can use the north berth, this might end trains being stacked waiting to get in to 95th. Of course, passengers would not know where their their car would stop, under the north station or under the south station. No other CTA station would have this capability.

DH

6 hours ago, chicagopcclcar said:

Maybe both berths will have a twenty car capacity. Someone mentioned the Pink line terminal with their arrival berth on the far end and the departure berth towards the main line. But 95th will not have crossovers. With capacity for two road trains, maybe two layups in the PM's, they could use the southern half and both berth as the same time and the next road train departure can use the north berth, this might end trains being stacked waiting to get in to 95th. Of course, passengers would not know where their their car would stop, under the north station are under the south station. No other CTA station would have this capability.

DH

Correct, but a twenty-car berth???

Yes, two berths for two 8-car trains plus capacity for ten-car trains in the future......8 plus 8 plus 4 equals 20. (Old school math, LOL.)

DH

8 hours ago, garmon757 said:

Correct, but a twenty-car berth???

Would make sense if planning for 2 10 car trains. That would be planning ahead, but also indicates they don't really believe in the extension.

22 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Would make sense if planning for 2 10 car trains. That would be planning ahead, but also indicates they don't really believe in the extension.

There would be many issues though on that proposal. You would basically have to rebuild platform extensions into the state street subway and what do you do with Sheridan? While it sounds good, it might be sometime before it actually happens. Though the 20 car estimate is correct as Wilson will be 10 car berths. Maybe they could skip a few stops once they got the heavy stops online, but practically I think the RLE has a better chance of happening, but really they could stand to merge the projects. That might just be too big of a project though.

I know the 95th st terminal construction lasts until the fall.... I made a Special Segment on it on April 7th and it's on YouTube 

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

There would be many issues though on that proposal. You would basically have to rebuild platform extensions into the state street subway and what do you do with Sheridan? While it sounds good, it might be sometime before it actually happens. Though the 20 car estimate is correct as Wilson will be 10 car berths. Maybe they could skip a few stops once they got the heavy stops online, but practically I think the RLE has a better chance of happening, but really they could stand to merge the projects. That might just be too big of a project though.

All of the State Street subway platforms have the length to accommodate 10-car trains. I have posted those lengths previously. CTA has published plan for future Red line alignment with a diagonal station marked "Irving Park". I am sure that station will have 10-car capacity. 35th St also will easily handle 10-car trains. The rest of the stations can easily be extended. The last time that CTA extended platforms was in the 50s...From Howard through Loomis/Jackson Park to accommodate the 6000 series PCC cars with their quarter-point side doors on the North-South route.

DH  

Well if thats the case then they will most likely do both projects together. The structure at Sheridan could possibly be widened to the east but it would make the curve sharper. They could also just turn the sb span a little earlier to the south and maybe buy two or 3 buildings. The only way i see irving pk happening is buying off practically the whole block on the south side of irving between the curves and do a station on 140 degree angle still though the north curve would be an issue unless the yellow brick building on the corner was bought too.

3 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Well if thats the case then they will most likely do both projects together. The structure at Sheridan could possibly be widened to the east but it would make the curve sharper. They could also just turn the sb span a little earlier to the south and maybe buy two or 3 buildings. The only way i see irving pk happening is buying off practically the whole block on the south side of irving between the curves and do a station on 140 degree angle still though the north curve would be an issue unless the yellow brick building on the corner was bought too.

Hey, you've got it in the wrong topic again.

5 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Well if thats the case then they will most likely do both projects together. 

What are you referring when you state: "do both projects together"?

DH

RLE and platform extensions 

52 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

But not 95th. Undoubtedly, RPM, although tangentially Wilson.

Garmon had to move some before, let's not make him do it again.

8 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Thanks for making your thoughts clear. Since the north side needs the capacity more so than does the south side, I think the platform extensions can be done as a separate project.

DH   

It's got to be fair for all the big lines as well, @chicagopcclcar, not just the Red Line. Red Line south of Addison links along with the Brown Line for Belmont and Fullerton, so if you put a 10-car station there, why not extend all the Brown Line stations, too? Brown Line is a busy rail line(3rd busiest in the CTA, I believe aside from the Blue and Red Lines). But if you extend there, the Brown Line will have to have full extensions along the Kimball Branch and through the North Side Main Line into the Loop Elevated. Then you run into where they share platforms with the Purple Line, Pink Line, Green Line and Orange Line. To be fair, you'll have to allow them the possibility of 10-car trains, too. Orange Line could probably use it, serving Midway Airport. Purple Line for Cubs baseball when they serve Addison.

It wouldn't be fair to just extend the Red Line and not the rest.

7 hours ago, sw4400 said:

It's got to be fair for all the big lines as well, @chicagopcclcar, not just the Red Line. Red Line south of Addison links along with the Brown Line for Belmont and Fullerton, so if you put a 10-car station there, why not extend all the Brown Line stations, too? Brown Line is a busy rail line(3rd busiest in the CTA, I believe aside from the Blue and Red Lines). But if you extend there, the Brown Line will have to have full extensions along the Kimball Branch and through the North Side Main Line into the Loop Elevated. Then you run into where they share platforms with the Purple Line, Pink Line, Green Line and Orange Line. To be fair, you'll have to allow them the possibility of 10-car trains, too. Orange Line could probably use it, serving Midway Airport. Purple Line for Cubs baseball when they serve Addison.

Aren't  most of the  Loop stations  10 car length?  Adams/Wabash  Randolph/Wabash  and  State/Lake I believe  are. 

7 hours ago, sw4400 said:

along with the Brown Line for Belmont and Fullerton, so if you put a 10-car station there, why not extend all the Brown Line stations, too

Due to the angle at the end of the platforms, the outer tracks are designed only for 8. The rest of the Brown Line, one has to consider whether there is 500 feet for platforms between street crossings, and since the substations needed to be upgraded to go from 6 to 8 car trains, whether they were sufficiently upgraded to go to 10. In any event, it isn't going to happen.

9 hours ago, sw4400 said:

It's got to be fair for all the big lines as well, @chicagopcclcar, not just the Red Line. Red Line south of Addison links along with the Brown Line for Belmont and Fullerton, so if you put a 10-car station there, why not extend all the Brown Line stations, too? ....... Then you run into where they share platforms with the Purple Line, Pink Line, Green Line and Orange Line. To be fair, you'll have to allow them the possibility of 10-car trains, too. Orange Line could probably use it, serving Midway Airport. Purple Line for Cubs baseball when they serve Addison.

Thanks for your input. "Wouldn't be fair".... Rapid transit management is not based on being "fair'...its based on need. So far, the Red line seems to be the only line that in the future will need ten-car trains. Secondly, the Purple line in the future would need eight-car trains. Plus, the extra car capacity would relieve the total train count which would enable the State St. subway to handle the train count of both the Red line and Purple line if the CTA goes that route.

DH 

It is a good suggestion though for the brown line. One reason they have so many train runs are capacity related. I don't know why they just didn't extend platforms for the brown line reconstruction. If they want to run all these trains in the loop just think if they could eliminate a few runs how much faster it could be.

If they want to run 10 car trains on the red, they'd need to extend at least some of the loop stations so they can accommodate the trains when there are issues in the subway and they have to go over the top

15 hours ago, joechicago said:

If they want to run 10 car trains on the red, they'd need to extend at least some of the loop stations so they can accommodate the trains when there are issues in the subway and they have to go over the top

That could be a reason for cutting the down of numbers of stations from three to a side to two. Makes extensions of platforms easier.

DH

Damn was driving down the Ryan the other day and noticed that they installed a new bus bridge south of 95th. Where is our south side news crew? You all need to represent!! xD Unfortunately I forgot my GoPro at the store!! xD Now I have to scramble the net and see if CTA posted something on Facebook. If they didn't shame on them. It's only a $200 million dollar station. (I kid because I care)

I'm sure they are documenting the project, at least someone in the infrastructure department,.