95th Red Line Station Rebuild

BusHunter

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Right, forgot about that. While I admittedly don't know the logistics behind all the placements, it would honestly be better for GHo to stop at L or N. Better to take 95th & Halsted to 57 than backtrack to 87th or that terrible 95th, Michigan, 99th Pl, State maneuver, which still ended up backtracking.

It really doesn't matter which terminal Greyhoud uses as neither affects routing to and from the station.  While some trips will use 85th and Halsted to U - 57, trips going east have the option of going Marquette and State or 87th to the Skyway.  Some may even go 95th, Ewing and Indianapolis Blvd to the IndianaToll Rd.

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

It really doesn't matter which terminal Greyhoud uses as neither affects routing to and from the station.  While some trips will use 85th and Halsted to U - 57, trips going east have the option of going Marquette and State or 87th to the Skyway.  Some may even go 95th, Ewing and Indianapolis Blvd to the IndianaToll Rd.

My point wasn't with the skyway, that's fairly straightforward from the terminal. My point is (On I-57 routings) that only very few drivers use 95th & Halsted and instead prefer to backtrack all the way to 87th or 79th, which is a bit more time-consuming + that when terminals started shifting, some drivers didn't adhere and only picked up/dropped off in front of the station on 95th St, a trend I suspect will continue. The upcoming terminal placement will only exacerbate circuitous routings taken to get back to I-57. Also, Marquette & State?

14 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

My point wasn't with the skyway, that's fairly straightforward from the terminal. My point is (On I-57 routings) that only very few drivers use 95th & Halsted and instead prefer to backtrack all the way to 87th or 79th, which is a bit more time-consuming + that when terminals started shifting, some drivers didn't adhere and only picked up/dropped off in front of the station on 95th St, a trend I suspect will continue. The upcoming terminal placement will only exacerbate circuitous routings taken to get back to I-57. Also, Marquette & State?

That could be two things.   First, if a driver is only dropping off at 95th en route to Chicago, it would be faster and easier to drop off on 95th rather than circle the entire south Terminal.   The other  might be driver unfamiliarity, especially if a non Chicago based driver who hasn't been here in awhile comes.

As for Greyhound's east routing, the bus goes north on the Ryan to Marquette.   At that exit, expressway traffic does not merge into State before the light like the other exits, but the Marquette exit traffic light is at Marquette.  From there the bus can make a slight right on Marquette and an immediate left on northbound State to the next light to turn right to enter the Skyway.

The only question is whether when the North Terminal  construction is complete, will Greyhound be moved again?

17 minutes ago, Tcmetro said:

After visiting the new 95th terminal, it looks like the bays under construction (E, F, G) are destined for the #29-State bus. 

The question would then be how they get into them, unless they are reconstructing the entrance from Lafayette and exit to State.

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

The question would then be how they get into them, unless they are reconstructing the entrance from Lafayette and exit to State.

Yea they will, eventually the 29 will be relocated to its original spot once the terminal is fully completed. They told us this while they were showing operators the north terminal before it opened.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, cta5658 said:

Question, what is the train berthing method for terminating Red Line trains since the platform is longer?

I imagine they pull up as much as possible towards the southern end. When I was there over the holidays, I entered through the South terminal, but the trains could still reach the exits for the North terminal, seeing as the Red Line runs pretty much only 8-car consists. The platform also didn't look that much longer, but I didn't have a whole bunch of time to explore before I had to get on the train. Someone more informed might be able to tell you better.

I think the berthing is still the same. It ends up that the north stairs are close to the front of the train and the south stairs are close to the back of the train. 

Not sure if this will change, as the northern part of the platform is still under construction. 

Was over there myself the station looks good. What a station. They have a tarp over the north entrance though. They need to work on that extension we aren't getting any younger here!!! So it doesn't look like they can berth 2 trains back to back. They should have made it like 54/cermak this way they could berth 4 trains you have the busiest line busiest station but no train capacity. 

4 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Was over there myself the station looks good. What a station. They have a tarp over the north entrance though. They need to work on that extension we aren't getting any younger here!!! So it doesn't look like they can berth 2 trains back to back. They should have made it like 54/cermak this way they could berth 4 trains you have the busiest line busiest station but no train capacity. 

Is that why the red line is still running some Ashland trips?

1 hour ago, Sam92 said:

Is that why the red line is still running some Ashland trips?

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Possibly. But more likely to keep out of the way of construction at 95th. 

Might be because of Garfield as well. While I was there, I took the 3 to Garfield green to catch the train whenever I needed the green and I noticed that while the workers are there, only 1 train is allowed in the station at once. A train coming in the opposite direction had to wait until the first one left, which I found strange since they were not single tracking. This only works if the red West 63rd trains taking the place of green West 63rd trains is reducing the overall number of trains going through Garfield, which I don't know for sure.

7 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Might be because of Garfield as well. While I was there, I took the 3 to Garfield green to catch the train whenever I needed the green and I noticed that while the workers are there, only 1 train is allowed in the station at once. A train coming in the opposite direction had to wait until the first one left, which I found strange since they were not single tracking. This only works if the red West 63rd trains taking the place of green West 63rd trains is reducing the overall number of trains going through Garfield, which I don't know for sure.

Doesn't make any sense. There are track restrictions on the Green Line, so run half the Red Line trains on it, too?

15 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

The two are unrelated.  The Ashland Red trips seem to be the result of the continuing construction at 95th.  The Garfield Green Line station delays are the result of construction at that station.  Unlike during the Red Line rebuild of 2013, Green Line Ashland/63 trips are still operating.  Roughly the Ashland Reds are operating every 6 minutes which is slightly more frequent than the Green Line trains combined.

• Upvote 1

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 2:30 PM, Mr.cta85 said:

Yea they will, eventually the 29 will be relocated to its original spot once the terminal is fully completed. They told us this while they were showing operators the north terminal before it opened.

What will be in bus bays Z and Y when the 29 gets relocated to it's original spot?

21 minutes ago, cta5658 said:

What will be in bus bays Z and Y when the 29 gets relocated to it's original spot?

Probably layover and/or special service space (such as outside transit agencies or the brookfield zoo routes). Everything else is pretty much covered, unless they do some weird unexpected thing like extend the 3 or 24. Also possible the 100 and/or 359 get moved off the street. All speculation on my part.

• 1 month later...

CTA has release modifications to the bus stops again at 95th & State, effective Sunday. I guess they're done with the construction at the north terminal.

Platform_Terminal_Map_East_Up_95th_Feb_2

Some of the changes, the #29 returns to its original bus stop on the north bridge, but the Grayhound will stay at the south terminal. The #34/119 moves to the bays on the west side of the north terminal. The #108 & #352 moves to the east side of the terminal.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

CTA has release modifications to the bus stops again at 95th & State, effective Sunday. I guess they're done with the construction at the north terminal.

Map_of_95th_Dan_Ryan_Station_Bus_Stop_Ch

Some of the changes. the #29 returns to its original bus stop on the north bridge, but the Grayhound will stay at the south terminal. The #34/119 moves to the bays on the west side of the north terminal. The #108 & #352 moves to the east side of the terminal.

At least for now, there seems to be no change concerning the Res Line trips to/from Ashland/63.

15 hours ago, artthouwill said:

At least for now, there seems to be no change concerning the Res Line trips to/from Ashland/63.

19 hours ago, CircleSeven said:

Map_of_95th_Dan_Ryan_Station_Bus_Stop_Ch

Some of the changes, the #29 returns to its original bus stop on the north bridge, but the Grayhound will stay at the south terminal. The #34/119 moves to the bays on the west side of the north terminal. The #108 & #352 moves to the east side of the terminal.

Looks like they made it so buses can pull rightin and out faster vs having to wait through a left turn signal