95th Red Line Station Rebuild

BusHunter

I almost equate this to the time when you would have the X services, and people would flip out because the driver wouldn't let them off on a side street. Same as the the Brown/Purple fiasco: You see "loop" but you don't pay attention to the color.

Bottom line is that people don't pay attention--this is universal and not limited to one side of the city. This might be a good time to at least change the sign codes to reflect the changes, but to also educate the potential changes that would happen to that route. Placement of that bus at the terminal will definitely need to be addressed.

Not paying attention is not the same thing though as not comprehending, which is the thought that's implied by holding on to the statement that it's going to be confusing even after placement of that particular bus was addressed after that part of the equation was first posed for legitimate consideration. I pointed out that the current structure of the 71 is an already operating similar situation that a theoretical combining (or more correctly recombining in this case) of the 95W to the 95E would be if the 20 minute headway west of the 95th Street terminal were kept for coordination with the 381. And the current 71 structure of buses terminating at 73rd/Exchange alternating with buses making the full trip to 112th/Torrence seems to be working after a decade's time since the combining of the previous 71 route with the old 27 route because apparently the number of people comprehending the difference between which trip is which outnumbers the ones who just don't take time to pay attention when waiting for a bus between 69th/Red Line station and 73rd/Exchange.

• 10 months later...

A shot of the breaking ground on behalf of the 95th Station Reconstruction.

Could you specify the location of that shot. It sort of looks like the Dan Ryan southbound north of the I-57 split, but I'm not sure.

I'm also not sure what the significance of the digging on the side of the expressway is, unless they have to move the ramps to make room for the station.

Could you specify the location of that shot. It sort of looks like the Dan Ryan southbound north of the I-57 split, but I'm not sure.

I'm also not sure what the significance of the digging on the side of the expressway is, unless they have to move the ramps to make room for the station.

Yes the shot is near the I-57 split near the 98th yard and the digging has to due with the southern portion of the station. Currently, the terminal is located on the northside of 95th, but when completed, there will be a southern and northern terminal with a transfer bridge across 95th to avert customers from crossing the busy traffic along 95th

Yes the shot is near the I-57 split near the 98th yard and the digging has to due with the southern portion of the station. Currently, the terminal is located on the northside of 95th, but when completed, there will be a southern and northern terminal with a transfer bridge across 95th to avert customers from crossing the busy traffic along 95th

Then the picture would have been taken on the Bishop Ford connector westbound. Anyway, the two overhead signs aren't clear enough for me to make out, even under magnification.

You are correct my friend. :) I took this shot on the 95th Steeet bridge in between the fence holes.

You are correct my friend. :) I took this shot on the 95th Steeet bridge in between the fence holes.

At least I am now properly oriented.

I guess you are implying that the structure for the bus bays is going to span the expressway.

It's 2014 and construction for the totally new terminal is off and running. Pull out your cta maps class and look at every other rail terminal in the system and tell me what's missing from present and future plans for 95th?

Hmmm... Isn't there something taking place in the City of Chicago within the next few months... Something about an election or something?

• 8 months later...

It takes time. Obviously those circular piers in Garmon's photos are going to support the bus deck on the south side of 95th. They probably want to build that first get all the current buses using the north side bridge over there and then demolish and reconstruction the north side. Sounds like a mini Hubbard's Cave for the Ryan is in the works. That whole 8-10 car section will be tunnelized and maybe even a section beyond that, maybe a good 400-500 ft. The station will be so elaborate when it's done, it looks like it should be at an airport.

• Upvote 2

• 10 months later...
47 minutes ago, trainman8119 said:

'splain this one to me Lucy !!! This project has been in progress for about a year now...AND THEY ARE FIRST SHOWING

ARTIST RENDERINGS NOW ?????

They've had renderings for a while, but the one posted is the final design for the structure. Garmon757 also posted pictures of construction work that has taken place as well.

I initially thought that the platform would be extended south to accommodate entrance from the new south station house.   However,  the article mentioned a pedestrian bridge over 95th Street to connect the two terminals.   Unless the weather is extreme,  no one really wants to go upstairs to cross a bridge then go 2 stories down to catch a train.