Bringing Back a Route and/or Segment

garmon757

Route Ideas:

1. 44 Wallace/Racine extended to Clinton and Madison this will allow riders a direct access to downtown.

2. new route 25 Oakland Express. Start at 71st and Stony Island then Stony Island to 67th to Woodlawn(might be too narrow) to Lake Park (SB Ellis to 45th to Woodlawn) to Oakwood to LSD to Columbus to Balbo to Michigan then same turnaround as the 60. this will provide people who live in north Kenwood and Oakland a fast way to Downtown.

3. new route 32 Clybourn start at Wacker and Dearborn north to Chicago to Wells to Division to Clybourn to Belmont to Kimball Blue Line. This will reduce pressure on the E/W routes in the area especially the 77 and provide direct access to Downtown from west Lakeview and West Lincoln Park.

4. 11 Lincoln extended north to Green Bay and Central via McCormick Green Bay, Lincoln, Poplar, Central. This will give access to people living along McCormick  as there is no bus between Oakton Dempster Dodge and Crawford. If the 11 is extended back to downtown this will allow a one seat ride from Evanston to downtown.

7 minutes ago, XE NewFlyer said:

Route Ideas:

1. 44 Wallace/Racine extended to Clinton and Madison this will allow riders a direct access to downtown.

2. new route 25 Oakland Express. Start at 71st and Stony Island then Stony Island to 67th to Woodlawn(might be too narrow) to Lake Park (SB Ellis to 45th to Woodlawn) to Oakwood to LSD to Columbus to Balbo to Michigan then same turnaround as the 60. this will provide people who live in north Kenwood and Oakland a fast way to Downtown.

3. new route 32 Clybourn start at Wacker and Dearborn north to Chicago to Wells to Division to Clybourn to Belmont to Kimball Blue Line. This will reduce pressure on the E/W routes in the area especially the 77 and provide direct access to Downtown from west Lakeview and West Lincoln Park.

4. 11 Lincoln extended north to Green Bay and Central via McCormick Green Bay, Lincoln, Poplar, Central. This will give access to people living along McCormick  as there is no bus between Oakton Dempster Dodge and Crawford. If the 11 is extended back to downtown this will allow a one seat ride from Evanston to downtown.

1.  The 44 used to run downtown until the Orange Line opened.

2.  Redundant with Cottage Grove  1/2 mile west and the 6 and 28 5/8 mile to the east, not to mention the 2 intersects Woodlawn at Hyde Park Blvd.

3.  The 41 couldn't garner ridership which is why it was eliminated in the first place.  Plus this would only crowd the Belmont Blue Line Terminal, not giving the 77 any relief..

4.  The CTA is not a suburban service .  Dodge had the 93, Oakton has the 97, Dempster has the 250.  The 11 had low ridership south of Western Brown Line which is why it was eliminated TWICE.

23 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

3.  The 41 couldn't garner ridership which is why it was eliminated in the first place.  Plus this would only crowd the Belmont Blue Line Terminal, not giving the 77 any relief..

4.  The CTA is not a suburban service .  Dodge had the 93, Oakton has the 97, Dempster has the 250.  The 11 had low ridership south of Western Brown Line which is why it was eliminated TWICE.

3) Might the market have changed? Although my idea for the route is nowhere close

4) Much like with the 31, I'll contest that the 11 was designed to fail with the schedule it was given. No reason it couldn't run 7a-7p

I like the idea of the 44 going to Downtown along Canal and Clinton. Things have changed significantly since the Orange Line opened in 1993 - the shopping district around Roosevelt and the West Loop office district. 

As for Clybourn, I think something might work between North and Belmont, especially if the Lincoln Yards project comes to fruition. 

6 minutes ago, Tcmetro said:

I like the idea of the 44 going to Downtown along Canal and Clinton. Things have changed significantly since the Orange Line opened in 1993 - the shopping district around Roosevelt and the West Loop office district. 

As for Clybourn, I think something might work between North and Belmont, especially if the Lincoln Yards project comes to fruition. 

Well in regards to the 44, you can transfer to the Orange line or Route 8 (Halsted) and literally take a nice 5-10 minute walk in both directions to the revamped strip mall area of Roosevelt once arriving at Halsted and Roosevelt via Rt 8 or State and Roosevelt via the Orange line.

2 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

My idea was this:

Elston/Bryn Mawr (FG Garage) or Jeff Park (Blue Line) south to LaSalle St Station

6:00a-6:30p weekdays

LaSalle St Station north to Elston/Bryn Mawr (FG Garage) or Jeff Park (Blue Line)

6:55a-7:45p weekdays

Elston/Bryn Mawr (FG Garage) or Jeff Park (Blue Line) south to North/Clybourn (Red Line)

9:00a-8:30pm Saturday, 9:30a-8:00pm Sunday/Holiday

North/Clybourn (Red Line) north to Elston/Bryn Mawr (FG Garage) or Jeff Park (Blue Line)

same as above

Routing from Elston/Lawrence (Depending on whether or not Jeff Pk or FG would be the terminus) would be Elston, Diversey, Clybourn, Larrabee, Chicago, Clark, Harrison, Ida B. Wells, Dearborn, repeat from Chicago back.

throw in some 7-12 min rush hour headways and 13-17+ everywhere else, it might actually do something.

9 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

My idea was this:

Elston/Bryn Mawr (FG Garage) or Jeff Park (Blue Line) south to LaSalle St Station

6:00a-6:30p weekdays

LaSalle St Station north to Elston/Bryn Mawr (FG Garage) or Jeff Park (Blue Line)

6:55a-7:45p weekdays

Elston/Bryn Mawr (FG Garage) or Jeff Park (Blue Line) south to North/Clybourn (Red Line)

9:00a-8:30pm Saturday, 9:30a-8:00pm Sunday/Holiday

North/Clybourn (Red Line) north to Elston/Bryn Mawr (FG Garage) or Jeff Park (Blue Line)

same as above

Routing from Elston/Lawrence (Depending on whether or not Jeff Pk or FG would be the terminus) would be Elston, Diversey, Clybourn, Larrabee, Chicago, Clark, Harrison, Ida B. Wells, Dearborn, repeat from Chicago back.

throw in some 7-12 min rush hour headways and 13-17+ everywhere else, it might actually do something.

If we’re talking about having buses continuing north of Belmont via Elston, you have to remember how congested Elston gets of traffic during the day. And when I was considering that the Clybourn route gets revived, I thought running between Belmont and Kimball (Blue Line) and a certain point in downtown would be plausible, perhaps Union Station since it used to terminate there back in it old running days or somewhere a bit more up north like the Chicago/Franklin station (Brown/Purple Line) as pilot test terminus point to see if ridership between Belmont Ave and Chicago Ave is  sufficient enough before considering any other expansion ideas. But yes, then there’s the question of buses terminating at Belmont because of the size of the bus terminal. They could have buses end and layover across the street from the station, perhaps on the corner of Belmont/Christiana. Then there’s how the buses would get back east on Belmont, maybe a clockwise turnaround via Belmont, Kimball, Addison, Elston, Kedzie, and back eastbound on Belmont.

52 minutes ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

If we’re talking about having buses continuing north of Belmont via Elston, you have to remember how congested Elston gets of traffic during the day. And when I was considering that the Clybourn route gets revived, I thought running between Belmont and Kimball (Blue Line) and a certain point in downtown would be plausible, perhaps Union Station since it used to terminate there back in it old running days or somewhere a bit more up north like the Chicago/Franklin station (Brown/Purple Line) as pilot test terminus point to see if ridership between Belmont Ave and Chicago Ave is  sufficient enough before considering any other expansion ideas. But yes, then there’s the question of buses terminating at Belmont because of the size of the bus terminal. They could have buses end and layover across the street from the station, perhaps on the corner of Belmont/Christiana. Then there’s how the buses would get back east on Belmont, maybe a clockwise turnaround via Belmont, Kimball, Addison, Elston, Kedzie, and back eastbound on Belmont.

Ah, the traffic on Elston is not something I'd have know about, thank you. Northern terminus could be Addison/Rockwell. I forget its right there and some lane tech students might live along larrabee (not sure what the catchment area for lane tech is if it has one)

32 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Ah, the traffic on Elston is not something I'd have know about, thank you. Northern terminus could be Addison/Rockwell. I forget its right there and some lane tech students might live along larrabee (not sure what the catchment area for lane tech is if it has one)

Was supposed to be roosevelt on the south. Back in the day I'd ride the 41 from lane mostly because there was no 77. Been hearing stories from morning riders on belmont. They cant get service to the red line around ashland eb becaus buses are packed to the gills.  They were asking me about artics I told them they do run a couple out of kedzie but its limited to just a few buses. 

7 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Was supposed to be roosevelt on the south. Back in the day I'd ride the 41 from lane mostly because there was no 77. Been hearing stories from morning riders on belmont. They cant get service to the red line around ashland eb becaus buses are packed to the gills.  They were asking me about artics I told them they do run a couple out of kedzie but its limited to just a few buses. 

Have all the 6:30a-8:30a Belmont/Halsted 156 trips start at Southport on the Brown Line? Might be narrow, but only every other 156 goes to Belmont/Halsted in the first place. Now that I look at the schedule, that's still a bus roughly every 6 minutes, which might be too much for how tight Southport would get with an artic on it. Might ultimately be better introduce some morning Kimball to Halsted runs, I don't see any in the schedule.

Marquette Rd is narrow and doesn't have space for bus stops. I think the idea behind using 69th is to space the routes out between 63rd and 79th (because Marquette and 75th can't be used for 1/2 mile route spacing). 

Additionally, the 67 extension to Ford City is relatively recent. 

If there was one change I would make, it might be using 69th/Lithuanian Plaza from Western to California to directly serve the hospital, but that would be fairly minor. 

6 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

Marquette Rd is narrow and doesn't have space for bus stops. I think the idea behind using 69th is to space the routes out between 63rd and 79th (because Marquette and 75th can't be used for 1/2 mile route spacing). 

If there was one change I would make, it might be using 69th/Lithuanian Plaza from Western to California to directly serve the hospital, but that would be fairly minor. 

Marquette & 59th are the same width, although I guess you would have to get ride of the bike lane for there to be bus service

3 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Could Ogden Ave ever get a route. I've always wondered if it would be popular enough and have enough funds to be created. 

3 hours ago, XE NewFlyer said:

It would have to access downtown other than that it might not be that bad.

I'd love an Ogden bus route and I wanted one for years, I remember riding the 37 & 38. Unfortunately, I think the market for it is not there and the 157 is the best we'll get. Ogden is one of those routes, like Lincoln, that has gone through the trial & error process a number of times. Personally, I'd see brought back with weekday and limited saturday service from Pulaski/Cermak (Pink) along Ogden to Randolph, Randolph to Halsted, Loop Link and then end at Congress Plaza/Harbor Pl/Illinois Center/Navy Pier/Madison & Michigan/etc

I was looking back at old press releases to see how long the 38 lasted (just barely a year, I think) and saw that in 2009 the 55A & 55N was set to be combined in a bidirectional loop and then postponed? Any reason? This is something I've thought should happen for years and would be somewhat similar to how the 63W & 165 operate now

45 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I was looking back at old press releases to see how long the 38 lasted (just barely a year, I think) and saw that in 2009 the 55A & 55N was set to be combined in a bidirectional loop and then postponed? Any reason? This is something I've thought should happen for years and would be somewhat similar to how the 63W & 165 operate now

Alderman pressure regarding 55A/N being postponed. Favoritism on keeping those routes and others out of midway are wasting service hours that could've been reused somewhere else. At one time midway feeders were to be replaced with something so CTA could better use those hours somewhere else

On 3/12/2019 at 8:11 PM, Tcmetro said:

Back circa early-50's 44 and the old 15-Canal/Wacker were going to be thru-routed.  Signs were installed on buses (there were RACINE-CANAL-WACKER side signs until 1969), and even transfers were printed. But at the last moment cancelled. 

21 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

Marquette had buses for many years. Originally Stony Island to St Louis,  after 1941 downtown to St Louis via Michigan-Garfield-Loomis-Marquette,  after 1953 Loomis/63 to Kostner. Ended early 90's.

41 minutes ago, ChicagoNova said:

This idea probably won't work, but how about extending the 44 Wallace/Racine to downtown via the old 15 Canal/Wacker route.

Canal has heavy traffic during the am/pm rush hour. Extending it another 1.5 miles to the downtown area when you have an easy connect point to the orange line is pointless.

On 3/14/2019 at 5:25 PM, YoungBusLover said:

Could Ogden Ave ever get a route. I've always wondered if it would be popular enough and have enough funds to be created. 

Ogden had transit service for over 100 years. Ogden used to be a major commercial street, solid storefronts. That all went away in the 1950's-60's. Ogden is mostly vacant lots and a few abandoned buildings west of Douglas Park. Service was cut and cut in the 70's and 80's because the buses were almost totally empty. Finally it was given up on as hopeless.

Elston was the same way. Once the industries along Elston closed, service shrank to nothing. 

Remember that the last major new territory CTA extended bus service to was around Higgins and East River, and that was back in 1973. Everything since has been minor or subsidised.