Bringing Back a Route and/or Segment

garmon757

19 minutes ago, strictures said:

Another route that needs extending is the 53 Pulaski which ends at Peterson, simply because they didn't want the previous streetcar route to cross the C&NW grade crossing at Granville.

Don't need it, as 215 is going to go to Peterson. You need to keep up.

14 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

60 and 157 aren't that diagonal compared to the other ones listed.

That basically was the point. Complaints about 11 involved all the 6 way traffic lights.

15 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

As @busjack and others have essentially pointed out, the ridership levels of the 56 is fairly indicative of what the 41 would look like.

I certainly did not. If 41 had that kind of ridership, it wouldn't have been canceled, and CTA certainly would not have failed to get the JARC grant for lack of a source of matching funds.

17 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Neither Fullerton or Webster, east of Halsted/Lincoln, is wide enough to support normal buses, especially artics. As someone who has walked that stretch of Fullerton from Halsted to Clark, I wish I didn't have to, but its not absolutely necessary to have bus service. Depending on where you're coming from, you'd probably be better served getting off at Clark/Division and taking the 22 or 36 up to that tiny portion of the North side.

60 and 157 aren't that diagonal compared to the other ones listed. Furthermore, in an ideal world, the 41 would go from Jeff Park, Lawrence or Foster, Elston, Belmont, Clybourn, end at North/Clybourn, with that section of Clybourn btwn Diversey & North serving as a retail generator and the rest as residential generators. As @busjack and others have essentially pointed out, the ridership levels of the 56 is fairly indicative of what the 41 would look like. Furthermore, any route that the 41 takes into downtown would add a layer of redundancy to an area that probably won't need it (such as LaSalle, which uses artics, but doesn't run on weekends). 

Yeah, I figured as much when headways reached every 30 mins when I helped out at eta creative arts. My main reason for including it here was the weekend extension from 92nd/Buffalo? Brainard? Exchange? to 79th/Stony Island. Was that because of community requests?

I think this was politically motivated as it was part of Rahm's south side improvement.

53 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

As Busjack previously said,  Ridge Rd is too narrow to support bus service.  There also is no law that requires bus service every 1/2 mile.  Thus Ridge, and for that matter, Pratt doesn't need bus service.  Not that Lunt does, as opposed to Touhy,  but that's another story.

are you sure i looked at google maps it looks fine but ravenswood is a bit narrow

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Neither Fullerton or Webster, east of Halsted/Lincoln, is wide enough to support normal buses, especially artics. As someone who has walked that stretch of Fullerton from Halsted to Clark, I wish I didn't have to, but its not absolutely necessary to have bus service. Depending on where you're coming from, you'd probably be better served getting off at Clark/Division and taking the 22 or 36 up to that tiny portion of the North side.

Im talking about going west or east on Fullerton buses single or artic does not matter if the buses don't do tight turns will work one way on Fullerton webster is a maybe but dickens will work because its oneway so past Halsted the 74 should go via Fullerton,Clark, Dickens, Lincoln back to fullerton

53 minutes ago, XE NewFlyer said:

Im talking about going west or east on Fullerton buses single or artic does not matter if the buses don't do tight turns will work one way on Fullerton webster is a maybe but dickens will work because its oneway so past Halsted the 74 should go via Fullerton,Clark, Dickens, Lincoln back to fullerton

Going west or east? What?

Clark onto Dickens is a tight turn, especially since people will park right up onto the crosswalk.

Furthermore, the stretch of Fullerton between Halsted/Lincoln & Clark cannot support bidirectional traffic and a CTA bus at the same time, either something is going to get scraped or traffice is going to inch along at a snails pace trying to avoid that. Unlike some of the other discussions here, there is no real merit to bus service over here. Either you're walking from Fullerton B/P/R, or coming in on the 22 or 36. If that area really needed the 74 to go to the Nature Museum, or even to Clark, I imagine they would've lobbied their alderman about it a while ago.

1 hour ago, Aiden Tabucic said:

“As 215 IS GOING TO GO to Peterson”

My bad, then let me rephrase that question: When is this change going to go in effect? And why is this adjustment happen? What about bus service on Howard between California/Dodge & Crawford, unless the 97 Skokie will have to be used as an alternative travel method, leaving commuters with a 1/2 mile walk to Howard between Dodge & Crawford

21 minutes ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

My bad, then let me rephrase that question: When is this change going to go in effect? And why is this adjustment happen? What about bus service on Howard between California/Dodge & Crawford, unless the 97 Skokie will have to be used as an alternative travel method, leaving commuters with a 1/2 mile walk to Howard between Dodge & Crawford

The 93 California/Dodge Uses California And Dodge Commuters can take the 93 to Davis purple line and go to Howard and the 97 uses half of Howard and the rest Crawford 

1 hour ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

The change is planned to occur sometime in the fall of next year. The stretch of Howard that will be vacated by the shortened 215 will be served by an expanded Route 226 at that point. Both of these restructured Pace routes will operate daily, not just on weekdays.

1 hour ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

1. You could read the North Shore Coordination Plan, which answes all your questions. Don't expect others to do your work for you (although rjl did).

2. Centuries before any of the lame plans posted here ever will be.

22 minutes ago, Busjack said:

1. You could read the North Shore Coordination Plan, which answes all your questions. Don't expect others to do your work for you (although rjl did).

2. Centuries before any of the lame plans posted here ever will be.

Yeah, point made. I been out of the loop for a minute, so I’m not aware of everything that’s is or going to be happening.  But no need for you to get all up and smart about it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, XE NewFlyer said:

are you sure i looked at google maps it looks fine but ravenswood is a bit narrow

For a second time we have the problem I noted above--people without familiarity with the neighborhood are playing fantasy bus and maps. Take a walk from the Nature Museum to the Fullerton L station; I have.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

For a second time we have the problem I noted above--people without familiarity with the neighborhood are playing fantasy bus and maps. Take a walk from the Nature Museum to the Fullerton L station; I have.

i was talking about ridge and the stretch of ravenswood that turns into ridge. Fullerton from Halsted to Clark is a bit tight but no smaller than lunt (maybe) and Lincoln park west which the 151 goes down somtimes when stockton is closed. Now that i think about it east Fullerton may not work very well but i think ridership will go up is the 74 goes down Lincoln as i previously stated 

52 minutes ago, XE NewFlyer said:

Fullerton from Halsted to Clark is a bit tight but no smaller than lunt (maybe) and Lincoln park west which the 151 goes down somtimes when stockton is closed. Now that i think about it east Fullerton may not work very well but i think ridership will go up is the 74 goes down Lincoln as i previously stated 

And notice how all of 2 buses run on the 96, which has 20-30 min headways during rush hour, part of the reason is the width of the street, in addition to the fact that it doesn't need more frequent service. The 74 has 8-12 min headways, which wouldn't work east of H/L. Your point with the 151 doesn't help; going down Lincoln Park W is essentially a detour and not regular service and can't be used to indicate anything. Lastly, if people really needed to get onto Lincoln, they'd just use the existing transfer at Fullerton B/P/R to board a SB 37. There have certainly been some less than ideal suggestions made on this thread in the past, and I've probably made some of them. That said, this is one that truly serves no purpose. The worst reality this area would be forced to suffer is the one they're in now; They walk.

24 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

And notice how all of 2 buses run on the 96, which has 20-30 min headways during rush hour, part of the reason is the width of the street, in addition to the fact that it doesn't need more frequent service. The 74 has 8-12 min headways, which wouldn't work east of H/L. Your point with the 151 doesn't help; going down Lincoln Park W is essentially a detour and not regular service and can't be used to indicate anything. Lastly, if people really needed to get onto Lincoln, they'd just use the existing transfer at Fullerton B/P/R to board a SB 37. There have certainly been some less than ideal suggestions made on this thread in the past, and I've probably made some of them. That said, this is one that truly serves no purpose. The worst reality this area would be forced to suffer is the one they're in now; They walk.

I came up with that idea without knowing that Fullerton east of Halsted is too narrow for buses to pass each other. But knowing that, an eastward extension of the 74 really would make things worse for the neighborhood, not better. The 74 should just stay the way it is now.

23 minutes ago, Anthony Devera said:

I came up with that idea without knowing that Fullerton east of Halsted is too narrow for buses to pass each other. But knowing that, an eastward extension of the 74 really would make things worse for the neighborhood, not better. The 74 should just stay the way it is now.

But then why did I see artics going down Fullerton east of Halsted during the lsd protest?

27 minutes ago, Anthony Devera said:

the main problem that i see now is stop signs they would slow down traffic too much with the extra buses east of Halsted, not the width but i may be wrong 

14 hours ago, artthouwill said:

As Busjack previously said,  Ridge Rd is too narrow to support bus service.  There also is no law that requires bus service every 1/2 mile.  Thus Ridge, and for that matter, Pratt doesn't need bus service.  Not that Lunt does, as opposed to Touhy,  but that's another story.

The 151 Belmont short turns have nothing to do with Belmont except the bus turnaround at Belmont and Halsted.  The majority of 151 ridership is SOUTH of Belmont, which is the reason for the short turn.  If you haven't  noticed, the Belmont trips are operated by Kedzie garage while the Devon trips are operated by North Park garage.

The ridership north of Belmont  doesn't  support having all 151s going to Devon.

1. Ridge Ave. north of Devon isn't a narrow street!

2. Obviously you don't ride the 151 north of Belmont on a regular basis, as I do, & it loads up fast.  Lots of people use it specifically to go to Mariano's at Foster/Sheridan. 

6 hours ago, strictures said:

2. Obviously you don't ride the 151 north of Belmont on a regular basis, as I do, & it loads up fast.  Lots of people use it specifically to go to Mariano's at Foster/Sheridan. 

i rode the 151 north of Belmont once a while ago and it took ages for the bus to come, i was thinking if this happens the extra buses should be single

13 hours ago, XE NewFlyer said:

i was talking about ridge and the stretch of ravenswood that turns into ridge.

You were playing Google Maps with both. I just happened to quote that one.

11 hours ago, BusHunter said:

But then why did I see artics going down Fullerton east of Halsted during the lsd protest?

Emergency. The proposer wanted all 74s to go through that bottleneck.

On 9/1/2018 at 10:35 PM, XE NewFlyer said:

149: Ridge/Michigan express

Beside you having engaged in a Google Maps game, let's look at what's wrong with this in particular:

• Ridge is mostly senior housing. While at the time I lived there, I was going downtown, most of the rest of the area was not. While there is undoubtedly now a new generation of seniors, they still aren't commuting downtown.
  • 11 and 31 only got an audience at CTA because the alderman pushed for them, and one of them has the middle name of Daley. I don't hear anything from Joe Moore (49th) or Deb Silverstein (50th) clamoring for this. And Moore screamed to high heaven when the initial proposal for the RPM proposed eliminating the Jarvis station, and he organized a protest over that. So, no one can claim that either of these aldercreatures is reticent.
  • South of Peterson, this is duplicative of other services, such as 84, and then anything south on LSD.