Bringing Back a Route and/or Segment

garmon757

8 hours ago, Busjack said:

Beside you having engaged in a Google Maps game, let's look at what's wrong with this in particular:

• Ridge is mostly senior housing. While at the time I lived there, I was going downtown, most of the rest of the area was not. While there is undoubtedly now a new generation of seniors, they still aren't commuting downtown.

Ridge is not mostly senior housing.  There are senior building at Peterson/Ridge/Ravenswood.   But north of Devon, it's some single houses & large numbers of 3 story walkups, some of which are huge, such as Casa Bonita near Jarvis, with mostly families in them.  In addition, S&C Electric has about 1,000 employees on their Ridge campus & most drive, because it's a long walk into the property from Devon, the closest bus.  So most drive, that S&C's private security is allowed to shut down traffic on both Devon & Pratt, to let them out of the parking lots between 3:30PM & 4:00PM.   A Ridge bus with a stop at Albion, S&C's main entrance would allow at least 100+ to give up their cars.

And I'm guessing that the Cermak Foods store on Ridge [technically it has a Damen address] just might be the only large grocery in Chicago that isn't within one block of a CTA bus route.

18 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

And since no LSD express bus is on Fullerton past Stockton (the 134/143), this would be off route, or a detour, and not an indicator of regular service.

Yeah but that was not the assertion. It was that buses could not travel Fullerton and I say they could unless I'm seeing things. How they passed each other I don't know LOL

10 hours ago, strictures said:

because it's a long walk into the property from Devon, the closest bus. 

I used to live across the street. It's 1/4 block to the entrance No bus was going to go on campus.

A Ridge bus with a stop at Albion, S&C's main entrance would allow at least 100+ to give up their cars.

So why don't they demand a bus? And are they all going downtown? Why couldn't a 155 be routed there at opening/quitting time?

And I'm guessing that the Cermak Foods store on Ridge [technically it has a Damen address] just might be the only large grocery in Chicago that isn't within one block of a CTA bus route.

They should have thought about that before buying a very unsuccessful Dominicks. They seem to be doing better their than their failed attempt to reopen the Dominicls on McCormick, which IIRC, is served by 2 bus lines (82 and 96).

I'll give you this though--unlike the Google Mapper, you do show familiarity with the neighborhood.

On the Ridge mania, I can also point out that the current North Shore Coordination Project had the same boundaries as the CTA 2003 Rogers Park-North Shore Study, i.e. Devon and north. Yet the result on all Chicago routes was "no change." You think someone would have suggested something if there was any demand in Rogers Park.

The argument could be made that with Carson's closing, there won't be so much demand for Lincolnwood Town Center, and thus 96 could be cut back to something like California and Pratt or Touhy.

7 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah but that was not the assertion. It was that buses could not travel Fullerton and I say they could unless I'm seeing things. How they passed each other I don't know LOL

You would be seeing things then. A one-off occurrence can not be indicative of regular service would be like, which is the point I was trying to make. 

2 hours ago, Anthony Devera said:

One could also transfer to the Metra Electric at 93rd, but the ME is very infrequent.

Well, at that point, I could take my bets with the SSL  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

59 minutes ago, Busjack said:

The argument could be made that with Carson's closing, there won't be so much demand for Lincolnwood Town Center, and thus 96 could be cut back to something like California and Pratt or Touhy.

Genuinely curious. As it stands now, the 96 has about 800-1000 boarding per month. Would ridership remain largely unchanged if what you proposed occurred?

11 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Genuinely curious. As it stands now, the 96 has about 800-1000 boarding per month. Would ridership remain largely unchanged if what you proposed occurred?

That isn't the question. The question is would ridership remain if Lincolnwood Town Center becomes a dead mall?*

Under my scenario, CTA could cut a bus and at least half the service hours. Ridership per service hour doesn't change. That's the metric. It also could cut back 82 to its prior terminal of Devon-Kedzie, which I assume would save an additional bus.

_______

*If you want an analogy, CTA is no longer extending X49 to The Plaza.

6 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

I would imagine that a deeper look at ridership patterns would be that peak ridership is consistent and off peak ridership is falling. This creates a situation where the same capital budget is needed for fewer riders. 

I don't know if this weird thread is the better place for this, but obviously CTA has the gps time and place  boarding data and we don't. Commentary such as whether Emanuel brought HQs to Chicago and his bowing out affects the chance Amazon lands here affects how transit resources should be allocated. For instance, if the HQs are moving to Fulton Market and Near West Side, and the yuppies are moving to Wicker Park and West Town, maybe something like the old 23 Morgan Racine bus should come back. But I doubt that those moving into River East intend to use the bus.

On 9/5/2018 at 6:58 PM, andrethebusman said:

Has anything actually been built at 95/Western yet? 

Wow, How long as it been since you've been down there?  Yes very many, it has been a very redevelopment with more Stores, Theater, Meijer.  And Now a Dead brand new Carson's. 

On 9/2/2018 at 12:16 PM, XE NewFlyer said:

are you sure i looked at google maps it looks fine but ravenswood is a bit narrow

Im talking about going west or east on Fullerton buses single or artic does not matter if the buses don't do tight turns will work one way on Fullerton webster is a maybe but dickens will work because its oneway so past Halsted the 74 should go via Fullerton,Clark, Dickens, Lincoln back to fullerton

I happen to live pretty much right at where Ravenswood and Ridge coincide with each other, and YES Ridge along that stretch is too narrow to accommodate transit buses 40 foot standard or artic on a regular basis without mucking up traffic. Looking at a Google map while sitting home in Philly is a heck of a lot different than actually being right here in Chicago and actually interacting with the environment of a given neighborhood in real life. That's a big reason you don't see very many of us taking a map of Philly and saying that SEPTA should add routes X, Y, and Z into downtown Philadelphia from neighborhoods A, B, and C that add to the already existing express routes 9, 44, 62. 123, 124 and 125 for example that get into downtown there by way of the Scuylkill Expressway and already adequately serve or connect with routes that adequately serve those neighborhoods. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, jajuan said:

I happen to live pretty much right at where Ravenswood and Ridge coincide with each other, and YES Ridge along that stretch is too narrow to accommodate transit buses 40 foot standard or artic on a regular basis without mucking up traffic. Looking at a Google map while sitting home in Philly is a heck of a lot different than actually being right here in Chicago and actually interacting with the environment of a given neighborhood in real life. That's a big reason you don't see very many of us taking a map of Philly and saying that SEPTA should add routes X, Y, and Z into downtown Philadelphia from neighborhoods A, B, and C that add to the already existing express routes 9, 44, 62. 123, 124 and 125 for example that get into downtown there by way of the Scuylkill Expressway and already adequately serve or connect with routes that adequately serve those neighborhoods. 

Uh, just fyi, you might have the two of us confused. I wasn't advocating for that, and while did live close to the area for a while, I didn't live in it, which is why I didn't speak on that topic. @XE NewFlyer probably still lives in Chicago, albeit they might have still been using GMaps. Also, the 123 goes to 69th St Trans. Ctr., not Center City.

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Uh, just fyi, you might have the two of us confused. I wasn't advocating for that, and while did live close to the area for a while, I didn't live in it, which is why I didn't speak on that topic. @XE NewFlyer probably still lives in Chicago, albeit they might have still been using GMaps. Also, the 123 goes to 69th St Trans. Ctr., not Center City.

He quoted XEzNewFlyrr in his response.  Jajuan is not the confused one.

On 9/13/2018 at 9:51 AM, NewFlyerMCI said:

I stand corrected on the one route, but I wasn't responding to you. Look at who I quoted as Art so aptly pointed out. 

13 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

And look to my response as to why I thought there might have been some confusion on both our parts.

There was no confusion sir given I directly quoted who I was responding to. I did use your hometown though as an example of why it makes sense to at least know the area that one makes a fantasy route or route extension proposal. So from there I can see how you thought I meant you. But I was in fact making my point to our other member with New Flyer in his username. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, jajuan said:

There was no confusion sir given I directly quoted who I was responding to. I did use your hometown though as an example of why it makes sense to at least know the area that one makes a fantasy route or route extension proposal. So from there I can see how you thought I meant you. But I was in fact making my point to our other member with New Flyer in his username. 

Born here, but I understand now, thanks!

5 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Born here, but I understand now, thanks!

No problem. I belatedly noticed I didn't make it as clear as I could have that I was using Philly as an example. Philly was actually sticking in my brain because I have a friend in Philly who was discussing showing me around Philly and how to navigate around in exchange for me doing the same for him with Chicago.:P

• Haha 1

before i start i will no longer the question the ability of buses to drive these streets if someone who knows the area well says that buses can't navigate and I have noticed @jajuan using the word proposal these ideas are in the thinking stage not the planning stage so they should be called visions or any other word that means the same thing and i do live in Chicago 

70: extend west to Thatcher or Harlem

66: extend west to Lake, 1st Ave, Thatcher or Harlem whichever one works best (if lake, via Chicago, lake, 9th, Chicago) 

12: extend west to Austin to connect with the 91

18: extend east to museum campus

126: extend west to Oak Park

44: extend south to 95th