Your New Blue - O'Hare Branch Rehab

BusHunter

I tell you that is like the biggest canopy I ever saw. Would be Interesting to see how. Big the gutters are for this and where they are going cause when it rains this canopy is going to have alot of water on it. What with them cutouts by where the bus pickup is. They said there was going to be an improvement in how people board the bus. Unless they have the ability to close those ports. That would be interesting almost like the ats but I think they are just holes which makes no sense. I like the ventra machine outside. They must think this canopy is going to be good but theres always the wind to worry about.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Why is the O’Hare branch such a priority right now? The Belmont canopy was the most unnecessary thing CTA could’ve possibly ever done. It’s just like how CTA talked about putting a station between Roosevelt and Cermak, a stop hasn’t been there all these years and it’s always worked out that way no need for a new station in between. The Congress  branch of the blue line is the worst part of the system. I think it’s also the oldest part of the entire L system that hasn’t had a rehab at all. It’s almost as old as the green lines structure. CTA keeps discussing 7000s to replace 2600s and 3200s and they’re being built in about a year, what’s going to happen if the 7000s start being delivered and they haven’t upgraded the congress branch infrastructure or upgraded the power systems, then what? The O’Hare branch of the blue line from the kimball subway all the way to O’Hare is fairly new structure that was built back in the 70s and 80s, it’s almost as new as the orange line. Are they going to do to the congress branch what they did to Dan  Ryan a few years ago and shut down that entire segment and rebuild it completely? 

The Congress branch of the Blue Line supposedly will get improvements from the Uber/Lyft tax. 

The 15th/Clark Red Line station will be funded through property taxes generated from the redevelopment. I assume that if the redevelopment doesn't happen, the Red Line station also won't happen. 

7 hours ago, Manny018 said:

Why is the O’Hare branch such a priority right now? The Belmont canopy was the most unnecessary thing CTA could’ve possibly ever done. It’s just like how CTA talked about putting a station between Roosevelt and Cermak, a stop hasn’t been there all these years and it’s always worked out that way no need for a new station in between. The Congress  branch of the blue line is the worst part of the system. I think it’s also the oldest part of the entire L system that hasn’t had a rehab at all. It’s almost as old as the green lines structure. CTA keeps discussing 7000s to replace 2600s and 3200s and they’re being built in about a year, what’s going to happen if the 7000s start being delivered and they haven’t upgraded the congress branch infrastructure or upgraded the power systems, then what? The O’Hare branch of the blue line from the kimball subway all the way to O’Hare is fairly new structure that was built back in the 70s and 80s, it’s almost as new as the orange line. Are they going to do to the congress branch what they did to Dan  Ryan a few years ago and shut down that entire segment and rebuild it completely? 

I bet it has something do with the fact that the O'Hare branch connects downtown to O'Hare. They might want so tourists want to take the Blue Line instead of driving to their hotel. Aka more fare revenue

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Manny018 said:

Dont worry probably the 7000s will start on the orange and brown lines. I wouldnt doubt blue line gets all 3200s. By then something will probably be happening with the ike. The circle interchange will be completed by 2022 so They will probably start the ike after that. 

I was going to say the belmont blue line bus turnaround was close to opening the other day. They just had the gates there that's it. Looked like it had been cleaned up and signage had been added. 

9 hours ago, Manny018 said:

9 hours ago, Tcmetro said:

The Congress branch of the Blue Line supposedly will get improvements from the Uber/Lyft tax. ...

Additionally, a Forest Park branch renewal needs to be timed around IDOT's Eisenhower widening plans. Although the US DOT has approved the project, no funding has been committed to that project. That being said, the Illinois Medical District and UIC/Halsted stations have been (or are being) rebuilt. 

Regarding the attention paid to the O'Hare branch, this article from transitchicago.com provides a synopsis of the reasons why the O'Hare branch is getting attention. A quick review of the most recent ridership report (see pages 14 and 15) indicates that the O'Hare branch serves more riders on a Sunday than the Forest Park Branch serves on an average weekday. As of October, 2018 the O'Hare Branch served  22,424,964 riders while the Forest Park branch served 7,303,145 riders.

The Belmont station, in particular, had 1,298,661 entries as of October 31, 2018 and O'Hare had 3,340,008. The closest Forest Park branch station is UIC/Halsted, which logged 1,429,944 entries.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Congress Branch needs this before the 7000’s arrive they should do the congress branch like the red line south reconstruction project put the Blue Line O’Hare to 54/Cermak or UIC

18 hours ago, Aiden Tabucic said:

Congress Branch needs this before the 7000’s arrive they should do the congress branch like the red line south reconstruction project put the Blue Line O’Hare to 54/Cermak or UIC

Is a Congress Branch shutdown and reconstruction as feasible as red line south was? Something from Forest Park to UIC?