Your New Blue - O'Hare Branch Rehab

BusHunter

15 minutes ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

Peeps acting like shutting down a section of a line for two days for the benefit of faster service is the end of world ?.  Like ik it's a joke but it's not even that, there's just actually people that think that way.

Full section shut downs aren't really common imo, for any stretch. I didn't hear of them before the Red Line South, and then in the years that followed, Washington, Baltimore, NYC and others I'm sure followed suit started doing the same. Not everyone is tuned in like we are though, so for them, it is an incredible disruption of service

• Upvote 1

Compounded issue because of visitors who barely understand where the train is going, let alone trying figure out the bus shuttle connection. 

Saw some airport/airline employees caught off guard as well. 

It's clearly something that needed to happen, CTA seems like they try to avoid closures as much as they can. 

• Upvote 3

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/3/2019 at 4:32 PM, NewFlyerMCI said:

Is a Congress Branch shutdown and reconstruction as feasible as red line south was? Something from Forest Park to UIC?

On 5/3/2019 at 4:48 PM, Aiden Tabucic said:

Yes

I could envision the line being cut back from Forest Park to Illinois Medical District, because that leaves the connector to the Pink Line as available, which the Authority might use to run some trains from Racine to 54/Cermak.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, rl12383 said:

Looks like the first of 2 9-day closures on the blue line between O'Hare and Rosemont have been scheduled. First one runs from 9/27 to 10/7. 24-hour bus-shuttle (https://t.co/4lxYXae55j). This should really cause havoc at O'Hare, they can barely handle the current bus shuttle between terminals.  

Brings back memories from around 2000 when the snow caused Blue Line service to be suspended between O'Hare and Jefferson Park.   The combination of snow, ice, and salt wrecked havoc on the undercarriage on the 2600 series cars.  At that time, CTA didn't have enough buses to cover the shuttles so they chartered buses from Colonial and Keeshin to run between Jefferson Park and O'Hare ( and Rosemont) while CTA covered the Harlem and Cumberland stations.

This time around, it appears  that  the shutdown is only between O'Hare and Rosemont. The good news is that the worst is only for 5 weekdays sandwiched between two weekends. 

6 hours ago, rl12383 said:

Looks like the first of 2 9-day closures on the blue line between O'Hare and Rosemont have been scheduled. First one runs from 9/27 to 10/7. 24-hour bus-shuttle (https://t.co/4lxYXae55j). This should really cause havoc at O'Hare, they can barely handle the current bus shuttle between terminals.  

Wait so the blue line will be shut down from September 27th to October 7th? 

If my recollection is correct, there were many Forum members advocating for a complete closure of the Forest Park Blue Line so that it could be rehabbed. Here is a taste of what that would look like. 

44 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Between O'Hare and Rosemont.   Yes.  Shuttle buses between O'Hare and Rosemont.   Boarding at O'Hare airport will be at Door 3 at the Bus Shuttle Center.

Until the Blue Line opened to O'Hare, this was an everyday occurrence. Before that, it was the 40 - O'Harexpress between Jefferson Park and O'Hare from 1970 to 1983.

This, too, shall pass.

58 minutes ago, rvwnsd said:

If my recollection is correct, there were many Forum members advocating for a complete closure of the Forest Park Blue Line so that it could be rehabbed. Here is a taste of what that would look like. 

Until the Blue Line opened to O'Hare, this was an everyday occurrence. Before that, it was the 40 - O'Harexpress between Jefferson Park and O'Hare from 1970 to 1983.

This, too, shall pass.

I took the 40 a number of times.  It even had its own gated entrance to the inbound Kennedy.

• 2 weeks later...

Where is the bus shuttle center? They cant be talking about the car rental place can they. That would be very counterproductive if there is no people mover. Rideshare is going to make a killing. Sometimes they goof too. They had at midway where you had to give the driver a code to get picked up. I tried it and left out of confusion. Picked up there yesterday and it's gone. 

Btw, saw the completed belmont blue platform looks really nice with the new lighting. It's a shame it doesnt have handicapped accessibility. They need to upgrade Logan square and put an elevator at belmont. Maybe in time it will get straightened out. 

What was with the blue line downtown subway closure cfd was all over LaSalle blue line last evening. They need to upgrade those loop stations they get the most use and reflect the most on the city. 

36 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Where is the bus shuttle center? They cant be talking about the car rental place can they. That would be very counterproductive if there is no people mover. Rideshare is going to make a killing. Sometimes they goof too. They had at midway where you had to give the driver a code to get picked up. I tried it and left out of confusion. Picked up there yesterday and it's gone. 

Btw, saw the completed belmont blue platform looks really nice with the new lighting. It's a shame it doesnt have handicapped accessibility. They need to upgrade Logan square and put an elevator at belmont. Maybe in time it will get straightened out. 

What was with the blue line downtown subway closure cfd was all over LaSalle blue line last evening. They need to upgrade those loop stations they get the most use and reflect the most on the city. 

I work at ohare so yes it is the bus shuttle center and it’s located in Terminal 3 outside door 3F-LL by the baggage claim

12 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

I work at ohare so yes it is the bus shuttle center and it’s located in Terminal 3 outside door 3F-LL by the baggage claim

So your saying that little strip at terminal 3 on the departures level is the shuttle center? That's going to be chaos. The traffic aids there are already a pita. They can write tickets on the fly too. Almost makes it not worth it for rideshare. The city is broke. I believe it. Got bit at lollapoolosa by them. Now I shy away from big events. Heard they got some real stuff coming on the horizon trying to get through the city council. Like a leaving the state permanently tax and entering the state tax for everyone. Hate to tell them my family is already gone. I'm just about the last one here. I work four jobs. 3 rideshares and my bus driving job. I joke 2 jobs is to pay the tickets. At least I have a clean driving record. No moving violations. The latest scam by the city is called an ordinance violation. That's what the traffic aids give. 100 dollar ticket 40 dollar administration fee. Gotta love Chicago!! 

50 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

You would think CTA would make an announcement about this already. It has been posted a couple of times to the O'hare twitter page, but nothing on the CTA page. Also, block club Chicago is reporting that the outbound platform at division will be closed beginning Sept. 23rd for replacement of the platform slab (https://blockclubchicago.org/2019/09/11/blue-line-trains-to-ohare-wont-stop-at-division-from-sept-23-oct-18-as-station-undergoes-repairs/). This also has not been posted on the CTA page.

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

So your saying that little strip at terminal 3 on the departures level is the shuttle center? That's going to be chaos. The traffic aids there are already a pita. They can write tickets on the fly too. Almost makes it not worth it for rideshare. The city is broke. I believe it. Got bit at lollapoolosa by them. Now I shy away from big events. Heard they got some real stuff coming on the horizon trying to get through the city council. Like a leaving the state permanently tax and entering the state tax for everyone. Hate to tell them my family is already gone. I'm just about the last one here. I work four jobs. 3 rideshares and my bus driving job. I joke 2 jobs is to pay the tickets. At least I have a clean driving record. No moving violations. The latest scam by the city is called an ordinance violation. That's what the traffic aids give. 100 dollar ticket 40 dollar administration fee. Gotta love Chicago!! 

No across from it is the shuttle center

4 hours ago, BusHunter said:

There was a suicide at LaSalle yesterday. https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/09/15/blue-line-service-halted-from-racine-to-grand-after-person-is-hit-killed-by-train/

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

No across from it is the shuttle center

Dont get what your saying across from it is the people mover. I bet cta planned this with intentions of the people mover reopening. It's been delayed until Thanksgiving. Should be something especially on fridays when you have alot of outbound traffic. Mondays could be bad too. They reconfigured the ohare uber pickups. There are zones all over. Somewhat more confusing to use. I still say the rental car facility should be handling anything extra like shuttles or uber. Ohare is too busy for extra stuff.

4 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Dont get what your saying across from it is the people mover. I bet cta planned this with intentions of the people mover reopening. It's been delayed until Thanksgiving. Should be something especially on fridays when you have alot of outbound traffic. Mondays could be bad too. They reconfigured the ohare uber pickups. There are zones all over. Somewhat more confusing to use. I still say the rental car facility should be handling anything extra like shuttles or uber. Ohare is too busy for extra stuff.

Ok here lemme be more clear 

The shuttle center alright? Is across from lower level of terminal 3 by the baggage claim you will literally see it from door 3F

On 9/16/2019 at 1:49 PM, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

I worked at O'Hare airport too.  The actual Bus Shuttle Center is located in the Main Parking Garage.  If you are walking,  you can access it from Terminals 1, 2, or 3 by going down to the basement level then catch an elevator from Elevator Centers 3 or 4 to the first floor and follow the bus shuttle Center signage.  You could walk across the roadway from Doir 1F LL or 3F LL, but for safety reasons  I generally don't recommend that.  If you are taking a  shuttle bus from Remote Lot E or Terminal 5, those buses drop off on the Upper Level.  That means taking the elevators off escalators down to the BL (Basement Level and following the above steps.   If taking the CTA shuttles,  I recommend Elevator Center 3 Elevators as they will put you closer to Door 3, but Elevator Center 4 works also, especially from Terminals 2 or 3.

If you are coming from Remote Lot F aka the Rental Car Facility, those buses drop on the Lower Level Center Lane at Terminals 1, 2, and 3.  The best exit is Terminal 1.  The stop is 1F LL.  In this scenario,  the fastest way to the Bus Shuttle Center IS to use the crosswalk and walk to Door 3, which is the 2nd doors you would come to.  If you mistakenly wind up on a bus that only serves Terminals 2 and 3, exit at Terminal 3 and use the crosswalk.   Go to Door 3 which is the 3rd door.

A brief history lesson.  At one time, Terminal 1 was the International Terminal.  United paid to have it demolished and rebuilt for itself.  This is how United got to be in Terminal 1.  That meant a new International Terminal was needed.   The interim solution was the Main Parking Garage.  The 1st floor was designated Terminal 4.  Passengers were bused on super wide buses between Terminal 4 and the planes, which were parked in the area where Terminal 5 sits.  

The ATS was built with the intention to serve the new Terminal 5, initially the same way as the other terminals were served, but the design was altered so the ATS would go inside Terminal 5.  Prior to the opening of Terminal 5, shuttle buses operated from Lot C ( now E) and Lot E (now Lot  F).  There was also a Terminal shuttle which served Terminals 1 thru 4 and also served Butler Aviation ( now Signature), which is where the light is just south of I 190 and Bessie Coleman.   To the east of that, where the service road is located, is where Skychef was located.   It was also served by the Terminal shuttle bus.

• Upvote 2