Your New Blue - O'Hare Branch Rehab

BusHunter

Well the signs are almost new if that helps. :P What bothered me about that article was the response from the CTA about accessibility.

"On Friday, Catherine Hosinski, a CTA spokeswoman, said that making the Damen station ADA complaint "will cost tens of millions of dollars" and would likely require property acquisition and the construction of a new station house.

Hosinski said that there would need to be two elevators added to serve each platform and that the platforms would

require widening, which is "extremely difficult given the station’s configuration, historic considerations and surrounding structures." When asked if there is a timeframe for making the station accessible, Hosinki said, "The CTA remains committed to providing accessibility where feasible; however, there is no timeframe for this work to be performed. More time is needed to thoroughly analyze the highly complex schemes presented for making the Damen station accessible."

So there really is no plan to make that station accessible in the near future. The station does do pretty good revenue to not be accessible in some way. Probably more than Argyle/Red line which actually has a planned ADA upgrade. With no plan here it looks like they are not even interested or discussing this. Too bad they couldn't build an escalator here with really wide steps or more steps to lower the pitch of being on two stairs at once to take a wheelchair then people could use it like an elevator. That design has to exist somewhere. Even though the station is rebuilt it's still going to function as a 1896 relic with no escalators or any modern station transportation systems. So i guess it's a modern 1896 station!! LOL!!

In effect Hosinski answered the question correctly, which is a rarity for CTA spokespersons. I mentioned before the question whether there was any adjoining property for the elevators. The standard for having to make the station accessible is that the cost is less than 20% of the total cost of the renovation. With this cheap kind of renovation, no way that threshold was going to be met.

On the other hand, with regard at least with the Berwyn station and Clark Jct. Flyover, CTA thinks it is going to get enough money essentially to condemn the whole west side of the L (and east side of Clark or Broadway) for staging areas. At the moment, except for Berwyn, I'm not putting money on that.

About as strange as the people with strollers demanding ADA accommodation is Hilkevitch's column basically praising CTA for "sparing little expense" to bring back the 1890s appearance, while lambasting them for wanting to tear down the Randolph-Wabash and Madison-Wabash stations. I guess that's what you get for $13 million, instead of new elevators and platforms that meet ADA specification.

And next to the State-Lake station and the depicted Madison one (actually and in the eyes of the beholder), the Randolph one is about as ugly.

About as strange as the people with strollers demanding ADA accommodation is Hilkevitch's column basically praising CTA for "sparing little expense" to bring back the 1890s appearance, while lambasting them for wanting to tear down the Randolph-Wabash and Madison-Wabash stations. I guess that's what you get for $13 million, instead of new elevators and platforms that meet ADA specification.

And next to the State-Lake station and the depicted Madison one (actually and in the eyes of the beholder), the Randolph one is about as ugly.

I tell you that State/Lake elevated is about as old as you can get. The canopy, support poles are straight out of the 1890's. The poles under the canopy have these cuts on them like they were ornamental at one time. It probably looked real good in the 1890's The platform is narrow and the wood planks are parallel not transverse. I feel like I should expect a steam train to pull up. Randolph/Wabash actually is not that bad, the station house was refurbished in the late 70's early 80's. It looks alot newer than Madison/Wabash. That station looks like it had a station house at one time but they don't use it.

On the Damen blue line beat, they were still putting up signs today and they erected one of those big Rahm Emanuel I did this sign, maybe 4' x 6' between the stairs along some buildings wall to the north of the station. Rahm can put a sign? This is a city project. i thought it was using federal money? Kind of tacky. they should've put it at the station house entrance.

On the Damen blue line beat, they were still putting up signs today and they erected one of those big Rahm Emanuel I did this sign, maybe 4' x 6' between the stairs along some buildings wall to the north of the station. Rahm can put a sign? This is a city project. i thought it was using federal money? Kind of tacky. they should've put it at the station house entrance.

So long as it is not a campaign sign there is nothing new about this, although the intent probably is as a free campaign sign. What was news was when all the Blagojevich signs were not replaced with Quinn signs, even though Blago was trying to give the impression that he was the one who thought up IPass, for instance.

I see that the grossly overblown controversy (reflected on the home page) about the street address has been resolved.

Of course, anyone who has read Streetwise Chicago knows that Chicago house numbers don't go beyond XX66, unless it is on a strongly oblique street like Archer (which, itself, really should have west numbers than south ones, except angled streets in Chicago don't).

I see that the grossly overblown controversy (reflected on the home page) about the street address has been resolved.

Of course, anyone who has read Streetwise Chicago knows that Chicago house numbers don't go beyond XX66, unless it is on a strongly oblique street like Archer (which, itself, really should have west numbers than south ones, except angled streets in Chicago don't).

Except there's a 1774 Lunt & it's not an angle street.

The same with 990 N. Michigan.

So according to all the papers, the next step is working on the Kennedy stations. This is probably going to involve at least an Addison closure, but how you repair station platforms with people using them? I'm kind of shocked the Milwaukee subway wasn't next. They could have actually done that during the winter. We're probably not going to see the Kennedy stations even start until it gets warmer like March or April. They could have also done Kimball subway track improvements. There's no snow in the subway!! :P

Except there's a 1774 Lunt & it's not an angle street.

The same with 990 N. Michigan.

I suppose there is some debate which Ravenswood Ave. is 1800 West, or if they are measuring 1700 from Clark.*

990 is of course vanity.

The rule, according to Streetwise Chicago, is a number every 20 feet, except that odd and even on opposite sides of the street. 1/8 of a mile is 660 feet, hence the --66 number.

I guess that since North Ave. is a township survey dividing line, and stuff like the streets around North and Cicero being all askew, anything is possible. Worse around Lawrence/Gunderson and Central. Update: Also, anything downtown is possible.

______

*Indicating the ambiguity at Clark, I knew someone who bought the currency exchange at Clark and Lunt and accepted it with an encroachment over the sidewalk, but then had trouble selling it for that reason.

So according to all the papers, the next step is working on the Kennedy stations. This is probably going to involve at least an Addison closure, but how you repair station platforms with people using them? I'm kind of shocked the Milwaukee subway wasn't next. They could have actually done that during the winter. We're probably not going to see the Kennedy stations even start until it gets warmer like March or April. They could have also done Kimball subway track improvements. There's no snow in the subway!! :P

Division through Grand opened in 1951, and the Kennedy stations opened in 1970. You would think they would fix the older stations first, huh?

Division through Grand opened in 1951, and the Kennedy stations opened in 1970. You would think they would fix the older stations first, huh?

Depends when they got any later work, such as Grand was rehabilitated when it was reopened in 1999.

But since this a a cheap rehab, apparently none will get the kind of rehab like on the Red Line until much later.

Depends when they got any later work, such as Grand was rehabilitated when it was reopened in 1999.

But since this a a cheap rehab, apparently none will get the kind of rehab like on the Red Line until much later.

Even if it gets what Harrison/Red line got it should be worth it. I don't know if we can really say Grand was rehabilitated in 1999. All they did was paint and clean up the station a little and threw up some Navy Pier signs. They still have the escalator from the 40's. I was down there earlier in the month taking pictures of it. It looks right out of an old dept store. Now that is an antique. I'm surprised it's still running.

Even if it gets what Harrison/Red line got it should be worth it. I don't know if we can really say Grand was rehabilitated in 1999. All they did was paint and clean up the station a little and threw up some Navy Pier signs. They still have the escalator from the 40's. I was down there earlier in the month taking pictures of it. It looks right out of an old dept store. Now that is an antique. I'm surprised it's still running.

At least definitely not as much as closing the street for a couple of years at Chicago and State or Division and LaSalle.

• 1 month later...

Looking at the Jefferson Park bus terminal rendering, they look like they want to put glass canopies over the bus waiting areas. Now that is smart as it let's in the natural light. The crosswalk addition seems a little ambiguous in the rendering. I wonder if they plan on putting a traffic light there. That would be smart also as it might help control the exit/entrance of buses but that would still crowd up the most southern entranceway. They look like they are spending more money on Jeff Pk ($25 Mill) than Addison and they are getting an elevator. But all the stations should at least get new CA booths as those stations are still set up for the 90's.

https://www.facebook.com/ChicagoMayorsOffice/posts/747284608682130

Looking at the Jefferson Park bus terminal rendering, they look like they want to put glass canopies over the bus waiting areas....

Note the prior generation Nova Bus in the renderings. :o:D

I'm not sure how enclosing the passenger waiting area would work, but it is sure cold waiting for a bus as it now exists.

• 1 month later...

http://www.transitchicago.com/news/default.aspx?Month=&Year=&Category=2&ArticleId=3405

Well they announced the construction of five stations on the kennedy blue line segment yesterday. Kind of surprising Jefferson Park was omitted and will be worked on next year. The project is supposed to start more towards the fall. Also surprising, they just are going to close Addison/Blue line (montrose too) on select weekends and I bet when the Cubs are not in town. Maybe they are banking on them not making the playoffs!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

http://www.transitchicago.com/news/default.aspx?Month=&Year=&Category=2&ArticleId=3405

Well they announced the construction of five stations on the kennedy blue line segment yesterday. Kind of surprising Jefferson Park was omitted and will be worked on next year. The project is supposed to start more towards the fal...

The Press Release you cited is of the perfunctory type that the CT Board approved a particular contract. Apparently, Jefferson Park (being more work) is a separate contract. As the release noted, this was $25.6 million of $43 million of station work.

On your Cubs point, this contractor better hope that the late Fall-Winter weather is better than in the past two years.

Looking at the Jefferson Park bus terminal rendering, they look like they want to put glass canopies over the bus waiting areas. Now that is smart as it let's in the natural light. The crosswalk addition seems a little ambiguous in the rendering. I wonder if they plan on putting a traffic light there. That would be smart also as it might help control the exit/entrance of buses but that would still crowd up the most southern entranceway. They look like they are spending more money on Jeff Pk ($25 Mill) than Addison and they are getting an elevator. But all the stations should at least get new CA booths as those stations are still set up for the 90's.

https://www.facebook.com/ChicagoMayorsOffice/posts/747284608682130

Jefferson Park Station needs a total rebuild! It looks so outdated and old. But of course CTA dosent spend much time worrying about the facilities and equipment this part of town.

Jefferson Park Station needs a total rebuild! It looks so outdated and old. But of course CTA dosent spend much time worrying about the facilities and equipment this part of town.

Well, in this scenario, we know Jeff Park will be getting some sort of rehab/upgrade in the next 1-4 years. Hopefully, it won't be a massive failure like the Paul S. Sarbanes Silver Spring TC here

Well it's a fairly large complex, so hopefully that won't be too difficult. But the Metra station seems to look better than the CTA one.

Well, now we know why the Addison station was chosen to become the only accessible station in the multi-year Your New Blue Project "The Addison station may be the most important of those projects because we are adding accessibility to that station by putting an elevator there," said Chris Bushell, CTA chief infrastructure officer. "This station was chosen predominantly because of input from the accessibility community.''

Basically, most of the "updated stations" don't get much of an update. On the Red Line south, there was the job in about 2006 to replace the canopies and floors, and then the project in 2013 which put elevators and art into the remaining ones. However, most of the rest of the work consisted of paint jobs. The main question is how much work will be put into the Jeff Pk bus terminal.

But, as I noted above, the Blue Line job is essentially a cheap redecorating job.

Well, now we know why the Addison station was chosen to become the only accessible station in the multi-year Your New Blue Project "The Addison station may be the most important of those projects because we are adding accessibility to that station by putting an elevator there," said Chris Bushell, CTA chief infrastructure officer. "This station was chosen predominantly because of input from the accessibility community.''

Only a partial explanation. There may have been demand at Addison, but I'm sure that the accessibility community did not say "we'll take a pass on Montrose, Irving Park, Pulaski, and Belmont." They were certainly complaining about no elevators at Damen.

I wonder if the stations will look almost as good as the Dan Ryan ones. They claim at Addison they are going to extend the mezzanine north and put in a new set of entry stairs. I don't why they are closing Montrose on select weekends, what is it getting that the other stations are not?

Thinking about Jeff Pk, if they do want to put in a crosswalk/traffic light, it would probably be really smart to just make the crosswalk really big like from the south terminal entrance to the north terminal entrance, but still you might have issues with turning buses exiting the south terminal. It almost needs it's own signal. I've always wondered why Lipps didn't run bidirectionally for buses? A light at Lipps/Lawrence would help, you would only have to worry about the #56's exiting on Milwaukee. .

• 7 months later...

Your New Blue continues as Addison is the next station targeted for enhancements that will include the only elevator installation within the muliti-year project. 

Work is set to begin in November and continues throughout 2016.

More details about possible service changes will be announced closer to the start of construction.

Stay Tuned!

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Figured I'd post this question here since it deals with the O' Hare branch... 

Anyone know what happened to the display the CTA used to have by the farecard machines at the O' Hare station?

It was the entire front panel of a #2600 series car, and people could sit in it, take pictures and such. 

While at O' Hare a few days ago, I was disappointed to not find it.. Anyone know when they removed it/ why?

image.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/4/2016 at 7:21 AM, ThirdRailVision said:

Figured I'd post this question here since it deals with the O' Hare branch... 

Anyone know what happened to the display the CTA used to have by the farecard machines at the O' Hare station?

It was the entire front panel of a #2600 series car, and people could sit in it, take pictures and such. 

While at O' Hare a few days ago, I was disappointed to not find it.. Anyone know when they removed it/ why?

image.jpeg

They didn't want to remind anyone else about 2600s flying off the rails and up the stairs into the station.

...too soon?

• Upvote 3