Random Pace

Busjack

Yes, but also as a potential pulse point to the remainder of the system. Again, you don't necessarily have soccer season in order for the TC to open (then again, it would supposed to have been done this year--that one, I can't account for).

Pulse point for what? The 386. 307. and the Toyota Park Exoress?

As well as (potentially) CTA's 62H and 63W (which covers a similar service area to the 386 along 63rd between Harlem and Cicero), plus the 330 which currently ends at Harlem and Archer (though that's highly unlikely since at approximately 19 miles per Google Maps, the 330 is a pretty long route to begin with and extending it to Toyota Park adds about 2 more miles to that run).

One question is would CTA and/or Pace be re-routing the 62H, 63W and/or 307 off 63rd between Harlem and Archer to reach Toyota Park TC, or would the three routes operate to 63rd/Archer, then via Archer, Roberts and 71st to preserve service on that stretch of 63rd within the Village of Summit? That extension adds a little under 2 miles to the line.

Another question is if they opt to extend via Archer instead of running straight down Harlem, how busy is that rail line to the west of the Toyota Park complex and would that preclude an extension via Archer instead of via Harlem?

Also worth noting is that should one of the three routes I listed (62H, 63W, 307) be routed via Archer, it would pass by Illinois Tech's Moffett Campus.

As well as (potentially) CTA's 62H and 63W (which covers a similar service area to the 386 along 63rd between Harlem and Cicero), plus the 330 which currently ends at Harlem and Archer (though that's highly unlikely since at approximately 19 miles per Google Maps, the 330 is a pretty long route to begin with and extending it to Toyota Park adds about 2 more miles to that run).

One question is would CTA and/or Pace be re-routing the 62H, 63W and/or 307 off 63rd between Harlem and Archer to reach Toyota Park TC, or would the three routes operate to 63rd/Archer, then via Archer, Roberts and 71st to preserve service on that stretch of 63rd within the Village of Summit? That extension adds a little under 2 miles to the line.

Another question is if they opt to extend via Archer instead of running straight down Harlem, how busy is that rail line to the west of the Toyota Park complex and would that preclude an extension via Archer instead of via Harlem?

Also worth noting is that should one of the three routes I listed (62H, 63W, 307) be routed via Archer, it would pass by Illinois Tech's Moffett Campus.

Other than the Crowd Reduction Plan, which resulted in CTA cutting half the afternoon 63Ws, CTA doesn't plan with Pace.* Hence, again, this is a bunch of projection.**

I don't even see this as falling within the usual definition of a pulse point, which basically is that all buses in a given community meet at the same time. There would be an opportunity for transfers between 307 and 386,but that's about it. Essentially, this is the Toyota Park terminal and a possible Pace turnaround, but that's about it.

*As typified, exactly in this case, by CTA once having put out a release on how to get to various attractions, saying to get to the Chicago Fire. go to Midway Station and take "another carrier."

**Only similar basis is that the Hodgkins transit center basically only serves UPS, but when applying for the Compobus Tollway service grant, Pace and the Toll Authority said that it would be used for that. Of course, ARRA rejected that application.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone noticed that some of the Orions are leaning to the left or right? I've noticed a few of them in the NW burbs and the Oak Lawn area doing this. To be fair, the Oak Lawn one was running a UPS route that was jammed to the rim with people. But the other ones I've seen up north had little to no one on them.

Has anyone noticed that some of the Orions are leaning to the left or right? I've noticed a few of them in the NW burbs and the Oak Lawn area doing this. To be fair, the Oak Lawn one was running a UPS route that was jammed to the rim with people. But the other ones I've seen up north had little to no one on them.

No, I haven't seen that.

But a number of the NABIs that Pace North Shore runs out of Evanston have a weirder problem in the summer.

At least three of them in the last year had both the A/C & the heat on at the same time.

Obviously there's a bad valve in the heater lines.

Hydraulics problem with the kneeling switch???

No, the hydraulics are functional. But the look may seem a bit alarming.

Could also be the air suspension, but I haven't seen any instances of that. Used to see a lot of old CTA buses "tipped over," but that would have been at least 10 years ago.

Could also be the air suspension, but I haven't seen any instances of that. Used to see a lot of old CTA buses "tipped over," but that would have been at least 10 years ago.

I used to see a lot of Flxibles, especially the 6000s being tipped over. The Ikarus 416s (2200s) had that problem also.

• 2 months later...

This is a interesting find.... I don't see many Pace videos, but here's a rare one about an old man flipping out wanting off and the Pace Bus Operator not letting him off(I'm not sure why, maybe not at next stop?) From 2013...

http://youtu.be/8BEqhwGx-io

I originally thought (by way of title) that this was one of the situations where the bus driver is legally obligated to not let anyone off, but I'm not even sure what the hell happened here. This wasn't regular stupid, this was college 300-level course advanced stupid.

I originally thought (by way of title) that this was one of the situations where the bus driver is legally obligated to not let anyone off, but I'm not even sure what the hell happened here. This wasn't regular stupid, this was college 300-level course advanced stupid.

Looks like this happend in Rosemont. I thought I saw a CTA supervisor come up while the officer handcuffed the passenger. It appears that the passenger got on the wrong bus and wanted off. The driver seemed like he was obeying the posted stops policy. The passenger got irritated and tried other means. The simple thing was to let him off. However if he hurts himself exiting the bus, or even gets hit by a car, the driver could be liable because he didn;t let him off at a posted stop. Exteme actions by the driver? Certainly, I think getting out of the seat with a passenger like that was most dangerous in that the passenger could/ve decided to take the wheel. Tat driver also seemed young and I guess fear of losing your job can compromise your thinking,

It actually took close to 15 minutes to resolve this incident? I don't get it. On Pace, where headways average 30 minutes on a good number of its routes, that's not good. At least if this had happened on CTA there would likely have been another bus that arrived before this video came to an end to get the other passengers on their way.

There are a couple of things that p*** me off about watching this. First of all, we don't really see what started the whole thing, only that the driver wouldn't let this clown off. Second, the goof balls making the video, instead of coming to the aid of the driver, decide to become movie buffs and film the thing, whining about the bus not moving and them being late. Third, and perhaps the most troubling is the obvious extended time it took the cops to get there. With the goofball fighting them and being taken away in handcuffs, arrested there was an issue. 11 plus minutes for police response, with this idiot trying to climb out of windows and continuing to create a disturbance. If he climbs out the window and breaks his neck, he'd be the first to cry foul and sue. The response time is the most troubling, especially when the local transit agencies continue to mislead the public in stating that they are "on a heightened state of alert" yada yada yada, yet it takes 10 plus minutes to get a response, equipment continues to be vandalized, passengers continue to refuse to pay and it goes on and on, and the employees continue to get laughed at, disrespected and put at risk. Doesn't matter if it is Pace, Metra or CTA, this video shows more or how passengers continue to simply not give a damn which in turn not only jeopardizes the employee, but the other riders. If this nut case had pulled a gun or knife, I don't think these clowns shooting the video would have been laughing all that hard.

As for the white shirt, that is a police sergeant responding with the beat cops. Notice...no Pace supervisors to be found. This is the same issue that continues to plague Metra, and I am willing to bet CTA too.

Really sad, sad, sad.

There are a couple of things that p*** me off about watching this. First of all, we don't really see what started the whole thing, only that the driver wouldn't let this clown off. Second, the goof balls making the video, instead of coming to the aid of the driver, decide to become movie buffs and film the thing, whining about the bus not moving and them being late. Third, and perhaps the most troubling is the obvious extended time it took the cops to get there. With the goofball fighting them and being taken away in handcuffs, arrested there was an issue. 11 plus minutes for police response, with this idiot trying to climb out of windows and continuing to create a disturbance. If he climbs out the window and breaks his neck, he'd be the first to cry foul and sue. The response time is the most troubling, especially when the local transit agencies continue to mislead the public in stating that they are "on a heightened state of alert" yada yada yada, yet it takes 10 plus minutes to get a response, equipment continues to be vandalized, passengers continue to refuse to pay and it goes on and on, and the employees continue to get laughed at, disrespected and put at risk. Doesn't matter if it is Pace, Metra or CTA, this video shows more or how passengers continue to simply not give a damn which in turn not only jeopardizes the employee, but the other riders. If this nut case had pulled a gun or knife, I don't think these clowns shooting the video would have been laughing all that hard.

As for the white shirt, that is a police sergeant responding with the beat cops. Notice...no Pace supervisors to be found. This is the same issue that continues to plague Metra, and I am willing to bet CTA too.

Really sad, sad, sad.

On your point about whether the transit agencies are misleading the public about being in a heightened state of alert, if it takes the local police 10 minutes to respond, wouldn't that be more on the police than the transit agency. Though I agree I don't understand saying they're in a heightened alert status if local police take longer than need be to respond to a problem. It seems like too many times police are taking on the attitude that if there is no reports of a weapon drawn or the person trying to harm other passengers that they don't need to move as fast. But that's not acceptable because of the point made that the guy could have had a gun on him which now that Illinois has concealed carry like the other 50 states there is a potential for this to be more likely. And before the gun advocates go on the attack, I merely say the potential is there because a person angered in an incident like this may have this be the first time they found themselves in this kind of situation and thus wouldn't necessarily have a medical history on record that concealed carry laws tend to say a person wouldn't be allowed gun permits under those laws' provisions.

On the response, it is Rosemont, not some bus stuck in an isolated area in unincorporated McCook waiting for the sheriff. If the Rosemont police can't patrol their own small territory, something is wrong there (unless the function of the department is to provide employment for sundry members of the Stephens family). It wasn't indicated that there was a crash and grab going on at the Fashion Outlets at that moment.

The videographers at 47th and Lake Park raised a similar question about the cop car going past, but looking at that clip, it might just have been that the car was being parked clear of the immediate scene.

However, I wouldn't get involved in a dispute between the driver and the passenger. It still isn't clear why the driver didn't let him off, or tell him he can get off at the next posted stop, or if that didn't work get off the bus. The various videos that sw found indicate that CTA drivers do get off the bus (the Lake Park one and the North and Naragansett one).

And if there weren't clowns with camera phones (note the large number in the Lake Park one), the only thing that would be on YouTube would be cats.

• Upvote 2

It actually took close to 15 minutes to resolve this incident? I don't get it. On Pace, where headways average 30 minutes on a good number of its routes, that's not good. At least if this had happened on CTA there would likely have been another bus that arrived before this video came to an end to get the other passengers on their way.

I was on a 215 a couple of years ago, when an obviously mentally ill passenger went bananas on the driver for not picking him up at the NE corner of Howard/McCormick. This was the regular "homeless" guy that solicits money on that corner They guy did get on at the NW corner, but was wailing & screaming so much, the driver called for the cops. The passenger then got off at the rear door, but we had to sit there for another 10 minutes to wait for the cop to show up, because Pace policy is, when the cops are called, the bus has to sit until they come, even if the disturbance ends with the passenger exiting.

Maddening!

• 1 month later...

It's kept up with "Throwback Thursday," to what these kids call it nowadays.

To borrow one from Pogo, Throwback Thursday is on Thursday this week.

You made me look.

Anyone now going to buy the photo or pin it (as the DH suggests)?

The graft express just hit Pace (Daily Herald).

Also, the picture of the bus in front of the DH's headquarters must be at least 6 years old.

Damn I forgot what an orion looked like on the #606. That will bring back memories. I'll never forget the two I was on when the engines died on the NW tollway and then there was the one that smelled like a sewer. That was after a flood. Academy had some really eye opening/funny stuff happening. :P:lol:

On your point about whether the transit agencies are misleading the public about being in a heightened state of alert, if it takes the local police 10 minutes to respond, wouldn't that be more on the police than the transit agency. Though I agree I don't understand saying they're in a heightened alert status if local police take longer than need be to respond to a problem. It seems like too many times police are taking on the attitude that if there is no reports of a weapon drawn or the person trying to harm other passengers that they don't need to move as fast. But that's not acceptable because of the point made that the guy could have had a gun on him which now that Illinois has concealed carry like the other 50 states there is a potential for this to be more likely. And before the gun advocates go on the attack, I merely say the potential is there because a person angered in an incident like this may have this be the first time they found themselves in this kind of situation and thus wouldn't necessarily have a medical history on record that concealed carry laws tend to say a person wouldn't be allowed gun permits under those laws' provisions.

I really can't say much about this whole deal because we only see the aftermath, not the start. However, if the cops get involved, there has to be more involved than just not letting him off where he wanted to. Blatant fare avoidance? Usually not worth making this kind of fuss about. I don't think we will ever know the backstory here.

So i was playing MLBTheShow14 on my PS. I played at US Cellular Field and at the end of the game they give the attendance and scores etc. So this guy comes on and says you can take the CTA red line or Pace bus. :huh: I forgot what they called the pace bus exactly but it wasn't express. It was Pace ???. So I was kind of wowed out, did they have to get rights to say that. I noticed the Citgo sign was missing in boston.

Was it a replay, because there have only been 3 home games at the Cell? But the Pace US Cellular Express schedule shows that Pace did cover those 3 games.

Since it mentioned both CTA and Pace, probably a plug for which the RTA paid. Otherwise it would have just been a Pace "Connecting Communities" commercial.

On the Boston one, the obvious reason they put up the signs over the Green Monster was to block out the CITGO sign and CITGO must have gotten the message. Undoubtedly the location of the Big Video Board at Wrigley was motivated by blocking out the advertising on the sloped roof a couple of blocks north.

I really can't say much about this whole deal because we only see the aftermath, not the start. However, if the cops get involved, there has to be more involved than just not letting him off where he wanted to. Blatant fare avoidance? Usually not worth making this kind of fuss about. I don't think we will ever know the backstory here.

A couple of years ago, I was on a 215 that had to wait 15 minutes for a Skokie cop, because of an extremely agitated mentally ill passenger.

The worst part was that the passenger got off immediately after the driver said he called the cops, but we had to sit & wait all that time because of some insane rule of either PACE or the cops, until a cop showed up to take the complaint.