Wilmette fireworks shuttle

MRChiCity

Good evening,

I would like to know how for Wilmette's annual July 4th fireworks the PACE shuttle service is subsidized. It is run by the North shore division using buses bassed at the Evanston garage. A link can be found here file:///C:/Users/Max/Documents/13_Wilmette_Fireworks_Shuttle.pdf Is this a holdover from the Wil-bus era? Is Wilmette the only town that has subsidized PACE service to the fireworks show or do other towns have slimier arrangements? Thank you

Good evening,

I would like to know how for Wilmette's annual July 4th fireworks the PACE shuttle service is subsidized. It is run by the North shore division using buses bassed at the Evanston garage. A link can be found here file:///C:/Users/Max/Documents/13_Wilmette_Fireworks_Shuttle.pdf Is this a holdover from the Wil-bus era? Is Wilmette the only town that has subsidized PACE service to the fireworks show or do other towns have slimier arrangements? Thank you

Probably the village.

Highland Park Ravinia service is free to the passengers, but the Pace budget lists it as a revenue service, so Highland Park pays "the fares."

In effect, Highland Park, the Niles Free Bus and Schaumburg trolleys are no different, but the Pace budget indicates that they recover the recovery ratio, so Pace is paying 64%. The difference is that only Highland Park charges fares (routes 471 and 472).

Probably the village.

Highland Park Ravinia service is free to the passengers, but the Pace budget lists it as a revenue service, so Highland Park pays "the fares."

In effect, Highland Park, the Niles Free Bus and Schaumburg trolleys are no different, but the Pace budget indicates that they recover the recovery ratio, so Pace is paying 64%. The difference is that only Highland Park charges fares (routes 471 and 472).

The main difference is that for the Wilmette fireworks shuttle a fare is charged going to the park and the return trip is free.

The main difference is that for the Wilmette fireworks shuttle a fare is charged going to the park and the return trip is free.

Then Wilmette is recouping something. "Free" return rides ended out of Pace's pocket book when the special events buses went from a $7 ticket to $4 payable each time you board (apparently to meet FTA charter requirements).

Then Wilmette is recouping something. "Free" return rides ended out of Pace's pocket book when the special events buses went from a $7 ticket to $4 payable each time you board (apparently to meet FTA charter requirements).

According to the document I attached which is for last years fireworks show, "There will be a $3.50 fare on the way to the

park only: a ticket will be issued for the return trip." It is possible that the fair for the east bound trip might increase for this years show to meet the FTA requirement mentioned above. Keep in mind that PACE's north shore division has run this service even when July 3rd falls on a Sunday when the division is normally closed,so the village is more then likely subsidizing it. One interesting thing to note when the Wilmette school district ran it's own buses, PACE north shore would hire the Wilmette school bus drivers to drive the buses for the fireworks service. Why this was done is anyone's guess. Here is a picture for your enjoyment of a fireworks shuttle from the 2012 show http://www.flickriver.com/photos/zol87/7519485850/

According to the document I attached which is for last years fireworks show, "There will be a $3.50 fare on the way to the

park only: a ticket will be issued for the return trip."...

Since normal Pace fare is $1.75, apparently someone was collecting both at once.

Since normal Pace fare is $1.75, apparently someone was collecting both at once.

Based on what your saying, it sounds like Pace is collecting a round-trip fare heading to the fireworks in order to facilitate boarding for the return trip. I've obviously never been to the Wilmette fireworks show, but that's not a bad fare collection strategy in order to get crowds onto the buses in a more efficient manner.

Based on what your saying, it sounds like Pace is collecting a round-trip fare heading to the fireworks in order to facilitate boarding for the return trip. I've obviously never been to the Wilmette fireworks show, but that's not a bad fare collection strategy in order to get crowds onto the buses in a more efficient manner.

You should go it's a nice show but it draws a healthy crowd. If you are interested in attending please let me know.

• 1 month later...

I have always wondered this, when PACE north shore would hire Wilmette school bus drivers to drive the fireworks buses, how would they accomplish this with out getting the union angry at them? Also just how do PACE/Village of Wilmette circumvent the FTA charter rule as the fireworks bus has no route number? Any info would be appreciated thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice I remember taking the fireworks bus awhile ago and by the time the bus got to my stop at 15th and Lake the first two or three would be full that they would pass you up. When you took it, how crowded did they get? Zol I gues that is you who posted that photo on Flickr of the fireworks bus. Looks nice even though it's not the orion's I remember taking to and from the fireworks.

Edited by MRChiCity

Nice I remember taking the fireworks bus awhile ago and by the time the bus got to my stop at 15th and Lake the first two or three would be full that they would pass you up. When you took it, how crowded did they get? Zol I gues that is you who posted that photo on Flickr of the fireworks bus. Looks nice even though it's not the orion's I remember taking to and from the fireworks.

Most people got on the bus in West Wilmette at Edens Plaza. I remember it also stopped at major streets like Locust, Illinois, Ridge and the Metra Station (Green Bay) and then express to the park. Yes I did take take that picture a few years ago at the 2012 event.

Well looks like PACE had a fluke in this years performance http://wilmette.suntimes.com/2014/07/08/newcomers-old-friends-alike-relish-holiday-fun-gillson/ due to a larger then expected crowd. While PACE normally does a good job of running ther service for next year they might need more buses, maybe barrow some from PACE Northwest?

Well looks like PACE had a fluke in this years performance http://wilmette.suntimes.com/2014/07/08/newcomers-old-friends-alike-relish-holiday-fun-gillson/ due to a larger then expected crowd. While PACE normally does a good job of running ther service for next year they might need more buses, maybe barrow some from PACE Northwest?

In that the article says 40 buses were assigned, the capacity at NS is about 50, so I guess they would have to. On the other hand, since everyone was leaving at the same time, some waiting was undoubtedly necessary. It would be different if people were complaining that they couldn't get to the park.

In that it was July 3 instead of July 4, undoubtedly some NS buses were still out on regular routes, such as 213 and 215. The usual 7 buses were also locked up at the Lake Cook Metra station. I thought it was unusual that all were EZ Riders, but maybe this explains why.

In that the article says 40 buses were assigned, the capacity at NS is about 50, so I guess they would have to. On the other hand, since everyone was leaving at the same time, some waiting was undoubtedly necessary. It would be different if people were complaining that they couldn't get to the park.

In that it was July 3 instead of July 4, undoubtedly some NS buses were still out on regular routes, such as 213 and 215. The usual 7 buses were also locked up at the Lake Cook Metra station. I thought it was unusual that all were EZ Riders, but maybe this explains why.

What do you mean EZ riders?

Ahh thanks I just hope PACE will continue to operate the service, besides just how committed were they? PACE Northshore ran it when July 3rd fell on Sunday when they are normally closed.

If the demand was what the article says, and they got full fare, they must have made a bundle. Compare that to the usual Wilmette routes, which make nothing.