Wilmette fireworks shuttle

MRChiCity

3 minutes ago, MRChiCity said:

In other words the drivers union has something to with it? I wonder if this is  "picked" work? Thanks

Don't know about picked, but there is an issue that North Shore is part of ATU 241, while Northwest belongs to the Teamsters. While some of the garages represented by the ATU have consolidated locals, it would take a representation election to get all garages under one union.I'm pretty sure one union is not going to give its work to another.

7 hours ago, MRChiCity said:

I should have been more specific, I was wondering if local 241 had something to do with someone being entitled to the overtime you mentioned? Thanks

It would depend on their contract, which the members would have, but only an out of date version is on the 241 site. As I said before, I don't know what the pick process is, and that version is vague (only essentially says what the work week and holiday pay are and that a union rep. has to be present) but there would be grievances if whatever procedure in the contract or "the law of the shop" is not followed.

For instance Issue 1 of their Newsletter (I can't find a date) states that an arbitration is pending on violation of the contract with respect to CTA's use of PTOs. If you back to 2010, part of the 20% cutback in service was that there were layoffs from the full time board instead of the part time board. An arbitrator upheld that, but the union now claims there were other violations of the contract. Same thing would happen if the wrong employees were given the opportunity for overtime.

• 4 weeks later...

More information http://www.wilmettepark.org/sites/default/files/FIREWORKS_CelebrationMap%26PACE BUS INFO_2016.pdf I asked PACE HQ why they raised the fair to $4.00 and the Customer service rep didn't have a good answer. In fact I had to explain that this route does not have a route number, and she put on her supervisor who did know about the Fireworks shuttle service. Now why in the world would a PACE CS rep have no idea about this service expect for the CS supervisor?  Thanks

14 hours ago, MRChiCity said:

Now why in the world would a PACE CS rep have no idea about this service expect for the CS supervisor?

Because it is not a regular route, and certainly not on the Pace computer feeding the website.*

The $4 was explained before as being 2 cash fares.

_________

*Do a search on pacebus.com's route finder for Ravinia Festival. Only thing that comes up there is 213, not 475. A search for Wilmette only yields 213, 421-3.

Well I just heard on my scanner that four more buses are now leaving the garage and were two were told to go VIA McCormick,Greenbay, and then hang a right at Central to Gilson, now why would they have buses go directly to the park instead of Edens Plaza? Since apparently six o'clock is a pullout time for some of the Buses what time do you think the the pull out time was for the ones that had to be at Edens Plaza at four o'clock? Thank you, oh and not related to buses  but Wilmette uses School Crossing Guards to help with traffic control.

• 10 months later...
14 minutes ago, MRChiCity said:

Info for 2017 http://www.wilmette.com/download/communicator/2017/Jun-Sept-2017-Communicator.pdf something I have wondered is why they route the bus VIA Lake to 12th to Central instead of Lake to Greenbay, to Central? Thanks

Probably avoids some traffic, but not the railroad crossing. That isn't an easy right turn, and traffic could be stuck both approaching Green Bay and then trying to make the left turn off Green Bay to Central.

Also, the link says to park free in the Metra lot; it may be an easier bus stop on Lake east of the tracks, instead of either having to cross the tracks to get to Green Bay Road or cross to the south side of Central.

That is even though the 422 route is Lake/Green Bay/Central. While it has a couple of meets with Metra, it isn't a feeder.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This year I decided to go to Wilmette to see the buses, and also some fireworks. I took a 422 to Edens Plaza, getting there around 8:35. While pulling in I counted 14 buses lined up. After taking a few pictures I got in line to board. A supervisor who was talking to a passenger mentioned that North Shore and another division were both running buses this year. I thought she said North division, but I didn't see any N buses. I did see 6410, which is (was?) a NW bus, so maybe I misheard "North" instead of "Northwest". All the other buses I remember seeing were from NS. I got on 6724 which left Edens Plaza with about 15 empty seats. That turned out to be the perfect amount for a full seated load after picking up local passengers. Once at the park I walked around taking bus pictures until it was time for fireworks. I found a decent spot to watch that was slightly obscured by trees but away from most of the crowds. Afterward I walked to the purple line instead of getting back on the bus, as I had no need to go back to Edens Plaza. That means I can now add the ticket to my collection of transit memorabilia. It still looks the same as the one @Zol87 posted on page 1 of this thread.

Line of buses at Edens Plaza:

IMG_1123.thumb.JPG.ba3f6ba220399ffc81ee235f93b8a440.JPG

Bus stop sign at Edens Plaza:

IMG_1124.thumb.JPG.6d4b093992e66a5d61b75f4344bc9918.JPG

Riding 6724:

IMG_1125.thumb.JPG.5f6e74a270f487c2a28b5efe4aaf742c.JPG

Unloading at Gillson Park:

IMG_1126.thumb.JPG.3f5f79212c403e35bb102e021b8281f7.JPG

Buses parked on the street during the show:

IMG_1140.thumb.JPG.62502cce1a4eee622c903f6f58c4daf3.JPG

Found an OK spot to watch fireworks:

IMG_1153.thumb.JPG.6eed9776a4cc89346fbf0305632e1a46.JPG

Community vehicle 16407 was parked here:

IMG_1181.thumb.JPG.7318b2ec0b790f6b21dbff21be69fc51.JPG

Lots of people packing the buses after the show:

IMG_1183.thumb.JPG.7861f794757cfa88e8a6ec59b2d13622.JPG

Police directing buses and pedestrians:

IMG_1187.thumb.JPG.279f093735eee4b296c53e360e8aebf9.JPG

Loaded buses leaving the park:

IMG_1199.thumb.JPG.a0a48df9194ea1a8a467a3f74fcadd25.JPG

• Thanks 1

Nice, and just like I mentioned in another thread the run numbers had a 5 and 3 other numbers wonder if this has to do with operators working OT? Glad you enjoined it, I remember growing up in Wilmette and ridding the old Orion's to Gilson. Have a good night and Happy Independence day!!

5 hours ago, Pace831 said:

How many years has there been a bus shuttle for the fireworks? Did it exist prior to being operated by Pace?

I think it might be a hold over from the WIL-bus days, there has always been a bus shuttle for as long as I remember. 

• 11 months later...