7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

I don't know if anyone's mention this before, but I noticed the conventional seating layout in the front half of the 7900s, as opposed to the longitudinal (bowling alley) layout on the later NFs. Apparently the CTA did some survey of C and 77th riders regarding longitudinal seating and it got a thumbs-down from riders, just like the seating in the 5000s is getting negative reviews, so all new buses (and trains) will probably have that conventional seating layout.

Here's a little video Nova Bus put together about the redesigned LFS Smart Bus which explains the new look and shows the Cummins ISL9 powerplant in these buses.

The engine compartment is very similar to NF's design. They needed to change their design from the old LFS'. I witnessed a FG Nova bus last winter that was blowing oil or had a leak. Well in this instance instead of blowing oil on the street it was blowing it in the passenger seating area in front of the back seat row/bench. That chrome colored piece you see to your left at the back row of seats must be some sort of access panel for the engine oil. The floor was oily. I hate to imagine if someone was sitting there. They would now have oily pants.

I saw #6872 yesterday on belmont with some kind of coolant leak/spillage. In that case the outside of the bus had coolant at the bottom of the engine compartment, the body panel itself was green!! It seemed to be too much for a leak, that had to be a spill or something.

• 3 weeks later...

Little bit of news on the 7900-Series front...

I spoke with a Bus Operator who shops from time to time at our store yesterday, and told him about the 7900's and how they're coming later this month. He said there was a bus recently at his garage that was different than the rest and had all black seats(I presume he meant inserts). It was there for the drivers to look at and get acquainted with, although he said he didn't have time to view it. Might it have been 7900 stopping over at NP and what might that mean, if it was there for NP Operators to view and get acquainted with?

On another note, he said NP always gets passed over for brand new equipment, and he said when they got the 5800's first in 1995, there was an uproar from the other garages about that(I bet 77th was the loudest :o:D ).

I spoke with a Bus Operator who shops from time to time at our store yesterday, and told him about the 7900's and how they're coming later this month. He said there was a bus recently at his garage that was different than the rest and had all black seats(I presume he meant inserts). It was there for the drivers to look at and get acquainted with, although he said he didn't have time to view it. Might it have been 7900 stopping over at NP and what might that mean, if it was there for NP Operators to view and get acquainted with?

On another note, he said NP always gets passed over for brand new equipment, and he said when they got the 5800's first in 1995, there was an uproar from the other garages about that(I bet 77th was the loudest :o:D ).

Usual garage rumor. They sure got 7500s and 4000s, although not first, but certainly newer than anything 74th got.

And though the pictures show that the inserts are darker than the shells, it sure looks like the usual CTA slash resistant fabric.

On another note, he said NP always gets passed over for brand new equipment, and he said when they got the 5800's first in 1995, there was an uproar from the other garages about that (I bet 77th was the loudest :o:D).

You're probably right about 77th street. Not for sure. But I will say that whenever 77th did get a relatively healthy assignment of new equipment, 4 Cottage Grove (supposedly on of the most heavily traveled lines out of that garage) always seemed to get stuck with most of the garbage buse-wise. The last time the 4 got a solid assignment of new buses was in 1972-73 when the last batch of "new look" GMCs (1000 series) were assigned to 77th street. And that didn't last long, because shortly after, about 28 of the 84 1000 series assigned to 77th were re-assigned to North Ave.

Usual garage rumor. They sure got 7500s and 4000s, although not first, but certainly newer than anything 74th got.

And though the pictures show that the inserts are darker than the shells, it sure looks like the usual CTA slash resistant fabric.

Busjack just gave you reason not to go reading too much into what that operator said. If NP never gets brand new equipment, then as Busjack alluded to how does he explain not only the NABIs and 4000s, but also the 1000s. NP got all three of those models brand new. Not only that, he probably was talking about 7900 itself when it was here for to show to the media. Remember Kevin reported that it got passed around each garage so operators, garage managers, maintenance staff and other folks at garage level could see it and become acquainted with it. Busjack was the first to say this before we even new the fleet number series of the model and apparently it needs repeating again for the umpteenth time. Unless CTA decides to do something totally unexpected and screwy, they'll quite likely go where the current Novas are, and at this point after Novas got booted from 77th that means 74th, Chicago and Forest Glen (not saying it'll be in this order).

Well I guess I was wrong about them going to 74th 1st lol but hey I'm glad theyre in service now, my guess as to why Chicago got them 1st probably similar to what they did with the pink line getting the 5000's. The pink line only needed about a good 44 cars to fill that line and the same with the 7900's, out the 3 potential garages to get them 74th, Chicago, and Forest Glen, Chicago has the least amount of Novas so I guess they decided to fill that garage with the new Novas 1st.

Well I guess I was wrong about them going to 74th 1st lol but hey I'm glad theyre in service now....

All we know is that the first bus is being run on a Chicago route. No indication that the go ahead was given for the production order. Maybe this is still testing.

Just got through riding #7900. I got some pretty good footage. I'll be posting pictures and uploading to youtube this afternoon. Overall it's a nice bus. I'm pleasantly surprised. This is way better than the #6400's. The only complaint is this foot rest they put on the back rear wheel well. Reminds me of the tmc's but not as bad. They also mounted the rear door light on the inside moulding to the back door which I don't know about that. Finally CTA is going to have a nice fleet. I don't think we'll be disappointed.

• Upvote 4

Here's some pictures to wet our appetite while the Youtube videos load. (I have 4 to upload)

post-304-0-52526900-1397070933_thumb.png

post-304-0-92095600-1397070963_thumb.png

post-304-0-58358800-1397070989_thumb.png

post-304-0-52600500-1397071016_thumb.png

post-304-0-19430600-1397071045_thumb.png

post-304-0-88235200-1397071077_thumb.png

post-304-0-55384400-1397071104_thumb.png

post-304-0-64848900-1397071139_thumb.png

post-304-0-73676100-1397071160_thumb.png

post-304-0-39523800-1397071193_thumb.png

Here's the first one, the ride for a mile from the back seat. Hopefully you can make out the engine sounds, they sound pretty deep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TgYnHF8P6Y&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrX7dnE_vGg&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxFb5PXDUyw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8cRiqch-v4&feature=youtu.be

• Upvote 5

I always thought the #24 was the dumping ground there. For many years it was the only place on the SE side where you could ride a #9800.

That was only because by then it was one of the very few routes out of 77th not designated accessible and run by all wheelchair buses, which were the newer buses of that time period. It had nothing to do with 77th deliberately setting out to make that route an old bus dumping ground. :lol:

• Upvote 1

This is probably a test run at the garage(s) getting them starting in May. Chicago might indeed be getting them first... I still look for 74th and Forest Glen(or FG and 74th) being the next ones if this is the delivery order for them. But as said before, this is my prediction for the assignments, based on where the Nova fleet is spread to currently.

It's only April 9th, the buses aren't due to start being in service until May, so perhaps #7900 will spend a week at Chicago, a week at Forest Glen and a week at 74th, then return to South Shops until the other 7900's start to arrive.

• Upvote 2

Just got through riding #7900. I got some pretty good footage. I'll be posting pictures and uploading to youtube this afternoon. Overall it's a nice bus. I'm pleasantly surprised. This is way better than the #6400's. The only complaint is this foot rest they put on the back rear wheel well. Reminds me of the tmc's but not as bad. They also mounted the rear door light on the inside moulding to the back door which I don't know about that. Finally CTA is going to have a nice fleet. I don't think we'll be disappointed.

I agree with you that these don't look like they'll disappoint and I'll agree that yes CTA will finally have a nice fleet mechanically, but I think was already primarily a nice fleet aesthetically. Also I don't remember the TMCs having anything like these foot rest unless you meant it's reminiscent of there being no foot room at the rear if you had the misfortune of having only the rear seats immediately behind the rear wheel wells available on the TMCs if someone didn't use those 7900 foot rests. And the engine does have a nice deep growl to it.