7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

Hey, today I took the route #70 towards my school, and for some reason, #8189 is having some technical incident, there is no front lights on, the suspension is lowered, no LED signage working and there was a long beeping problem on the inside dashboard. Pretty scary, isn't it? It was almost going to be a spooky ghost bus when that happens while night comes! But, hey, everything else was A-OK. :D

13 hours ago, Johnny 5 said:

Hey, today I took the route #70 towards my school, and for some reason, #8189 is having some technical incident, there is no front lights on, the suspension is lowered, no LED signage working and there was a long beeping problem on the inside dashboard. Pretty scary, isn't it? It was almost going to be a spooky ghost bus when that happens while night comes! But, hey, everything else was A-OK. :D

Was the bus's engine on? About everything you described outside the suspension and the sign being out are things that would be things that occur when a bus's engine is off. But in a broader sense, what you described sounds like that might have been an electrical issue occurring.

Maybe #8305 is on loan to a transit conference elsewhere in the U.S.A. so (New) Nova can display its newest output? Some {bleep} stole my entire satchel, including my camera, from Berlin nightclub on 15 Sep., so that did me in for getting exteriors of #8324. But I pressed into service another camera and got interiors of 8324 on Belmont one afternoon. Should I post those images here? o.O

Hello everyone, I am Rhys Pate. I have found out through this topic that #8305 is not in service yet. Does anyone know the status of #8305? I have a YouTube channel featuring videos of the 7900 Series Nova Bus LFS buses, including one of #8324 on September 16. I am curious about the status of #8305 if it is the last 7900 Series bus that has not been in service yet.

Time to step up our search for #8305.....

@BusHunter 

"Chicago........ The Windy City

These Are The Voyages Of The Search Group Busterprise

Their Ongoing Mission: To Explore All Repair Shops And Terminals

To Seek Out The Truth And Ask Tough Questions

To Boldly Find What No One Has Found Thus Far......."

CHI-TREK

THE SEARCH FOR #8305

Starring @garmon757, @BusHunter, @andrethebusman, @CTA5750, @sw4400, @Johnny 5 @jajuan @Express Flyer and Mr McMahon as Kruge

@garmon757 "Search Group Busterprise, Moderator's personal log... With most of our Nova Buses in service, delivery is nearly done. Yet, I feel -- uneasy. And I wonder why. ... Perhaps it is the emptiness of this group: most of our Search Group have moved onto other topics... and Busterprise feels like a Group with all the children gone... No. More empty even than that...  It seems that we are still missing a single bus, still unaccounted for from it's delivery."

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, sw4400 said:

Off of #8236. Anyone still think that these seats might be changed to cloth again?

20161001_152127.jpg

First time I've seen that sign. At first I didn't mind those seats but the more I sit in them the less I like them, even though they're much easier to clean.  At first I didn't slide in them a lot, now I'm finding myself sliding and holding on to the seat in front during even moderately hard stops. Thanks for this info.

55 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

They seem to be on all the low #8200's. #8214 had two yesterday. One on the back ad rack as well as the front.

Which essentially raises the issue on if anyone's opinion counts (and it probably doesn't), why should it be only those on the NW side? Put some plastic inserts on some buses on 79th and then hear what the people have to say.

21 hours ago, sw4400 said:

Off of #8236. Anyone still think that these seats might be changed to cloth again?

20161001_152127.jpg

I, for one, strongly dislike cloth upholstery on any public transportation vehicles' seats, especially when such upholstery gets soiled to the point that it is absolutely impossible to clean.

If the (cloth-upholstered) seats are all going to get severely soiled, then the CTA might as well revert back to the old-school American Seating 6468 seats on all future bus orders. At least the 6468s are cheaper than most of the newer-design seating on the transit market.

19 minutes ago, RJL6000 said:

If the (cloth-upholstered) seats are all going to get severely soiled, then the CTA might as well revert back to the old-school American Seating 6468 seats on all future bus orders. At least the 6468s are cheaper than most of the newer-design seating on the transit market.

The question on those (at least raised in 2006) is whether they are suitable for current day's "wide body" passengers. However,that didn't seem to deter CTA from using them in L cars, including specifying that type for the 7000s.

Of course, the problem with the original all plastic ones of that sort, such as on the 3800s. is that they collected water in the bowls, but that is supposedly now cured by having a grommet.

Yeah i had no problem with the american seating ones. It just seems to me the design of these new seats is no good for this. Yes it gets rid of the water but it gets rid of the rider in the seat as well. Probably it doesn't help that these new buses brakes are so sensitive either. They might have did better putting them on a nf type seat.

55 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

They might have did better putting them on a nf type seat.

As I've indicated no bus has distinctive parts, it depends what the transit authority wants out of the catalog of American Seating, Freedman Seating, or some other manufacturer (see the Gallery on Chicago Bus). Around here they use American Seating 6468 or InSight, or Freedman/4One Aries or Gemini.(strangely both under Rail Seating). Recently, Aries was used in both CTA (stimulus artics) and Pace (Orion VII and Axess), Apparently, the Freedman Angel is the about same as the American Seating 6468.

Note that thfe American Seating site has a plug for "Non-upholstered Onserts." So, both companies are into that.