7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

26 minutes ago, dann said:

I saw this gem of a review on dnainfo.com: "better than an unknown stain". 

Link.

It also says it is being tried on 14 train cars on the Blue and Orange Line, so somebody gets sw's razzberry* for not finding that.

Someone was with BH: "One rider said the new seats appear to angle downward, making one feel as if they will slip out of their seat even while stationary."

And on the one you quoted, I suppose he prefers a known stain.

"There is no timeframe for when the new seats might be expanded, Tolman said."--which would seem to negate the bias here that they are temporary.

*6 oz. carton $2.50.

3 hours ago, dann said:

I saw this gem of a review on dnainfo.com: "better than an unknown stain". 

My response to that is if folks are going to get carried away with the germ phobias, then perhaps they shouldn't ride on a public transit vehicle, or in a taxi or Uber car for that matter given in each instance you have unknown persons sitting in those seats just as they are. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jajuan said:

My response to that is if folks are going to get carried away with the germ phobias, then perhaps they shouldn't ride on a public transit vehicle, or in a taxi or Uber car for that matter given in each instance you have unknown persons sitting in those seats just as they are. 

There was a Tribune article that people would rather ride Lyft* than CTA, but indicated that it is a true ride share by stating "Though he often shares the ride with strangers..."

Sounds like the jitney business is coming back after 50 some years.

*Good news for Mr. Garmon's business.

• Upvote 2

On 10/2/2016 at 8:38 PM, Busjack said:

As I've indicated no bus has distinctive parts, it depends what the transit authority wants out of the catalog of American Seating, Freedman Seating, or some other manufacturer (see the Gallery on Chicago Bus). Around here they use American Seating 6468 or InSight, or Freedman/4One Aries or Gemini.(strangely both under Rail Seating). Recently, Aries was used in both CTA (stimulus artics) and Pace (Orion VII and Axess), Apparently, the Freedman Angel is the about same as the American Seating 6468.

Note that thfe American Seating site has a plug for "Non-upholstered Onserts." So, both companies are into that.

Yes, the 6468 and InSight have been used in both CTA and Pace -- in the case of Pace, the 6468 in the Orion VI and the InSight in the EZ-Rider II. The Pace NABIs use a different American Seating model - the 6466.

10 minutes ago, RJL6000 said:

Yes, the 6468 and InSight have been used in both CTA and Pace -- in the case of Pace, the 6468 in the Orion VI and the InSight in the EZ-Rider II. The Pace NABIs use a different American Seating model - the 6466.

Which brings up an interesting oversight in the Clams commercial. The bus is a 6262 series bus, which has "couch" seats, but the clams sit on 6468s.

Did you know there's a #8225 (with plastic seating material) running on the #72 today? Looks like it's temporary for the upcoming Chicago Marathon and they wanted to increase ridership for this event. I even saw it at Damen /Milwaukee right after we got off the Blue Line.

8225 on north ave.png

43 minutes ago, Johnny 5 said:

Did you know there's a #8225 (with plastic seating material) running on the #72 today? Looks like it's temporary for the upcoming Chicago Marathon and they wanted to increase ridership for this event. I even saw it at Damen /Milwaukee right after we got off the Blue Line.

8225 on north ave.png

Some plastic-seating buses from FG are being distributed to C, 74th and 77th in an effort to gather people's opinions about the seating in other parts of the city.

1 minute ago, Mr.cta85 said:

The 8200's are cool but still need to be broken in lol they're so stiff lol and a load of stop request buttons on here sheesh ???

And you can watch your customers slide out of their seats and push themselves back in it consistently. No they dont have bugs they are just trying to ride the bus!! xD

4 hours ago, dann said:

Some plastic-seating buses from FG are being distributed to C, 74th and 77th in an effort to gather people's opinions about the seating in other parts of the city.

I had earlier said that for a real test they would have to do it on the south side. Maybe somebody read it.

4 minutes ago, Busjack said:

I had earlier said that for a real test they would have to do it on the south side. Maybe somebody read it.

It's funny you said that cause I have 8220 and heard a conversation about the blue seats as people got on at 95th and Ashland lol. A lady said to another person is this a new bus and said she like the blue seats cause at least you can see if anything is on the seats before you sit down vs the traditional cloth seats. I have to agree and it makes the bus brighter as well on the inside. 

1 hour ago, Johnny 5 said:

I saw 8200 on the route 3 this afternoon

It's because CTA apparently decided to spread out buses 8200-8235 evenly between 74th, 77th and Chicago as part of its test of the blue plastic seats that debuted on 8200-8249. The breakdown of what went where over the weekend is given here in the More Bus Moves thread.

12 hours ago, ChicagoNova said:

What seems to be the problem? It seems like FG's losing a good bunch of it's new Novas.

The conspiracy  theorists among us might say this is a new bus grab but It is disguised as a seat test. But I'm not sure I want to go there. I have to admit when other garages have new buses with new features we dont see them testing somewhere else. Just maybe the 700s. 

5 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

The conspiracy  theorists among us might say this is a new bus grab but It is disguised as a seat test. But I'm not sure I want to go there. I have to admit when other garages have new buses with new features we dont see them testing somewhere else. Just maybe the 700s. 

The difference here is that CTA purports to want customer feedback. They don't want any customer feedback on whether an electric bus will conk out on 79th.

There was some reason why CTA ordered 50, and I doubt it was just because they were easier to sanitize, as then CTA would have ordered 125. As you have frequently noted, they never did a survey on the 4150s or 5000s.

12 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

But they did ask for rider feedback about the longitudinal 5000s. But nw siders couldnt get a say I guess. ;)

But only after Claypool said "you're stuck with them" and only for the 7000s spec, not when there were about 450 5000s yet to be assembled. We were told "too expensive to change" mid order. Were able to put in blue seat shells rather than beige ones, though.

NW siders will get the modified 3200 arrangement in 7000s, maybe in 2022.