7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

5 hours ago, geneking7320 said:

I think I rode it myself yesterday (10/11/2016) on route 3. I didn't like the seats. :(

Actually, all seating surfaces in buses and trains - and private automobiles, for that matter - have problems of their own. Cloth has a nasty habit of absorbing fluids and dirt, while vinyl (which the CTA had used prior to the advent of hard fiberglass/plastic seating surfaces) is notorious for being badly torn up by vandals. And hard plastic is uncomfy and often slippery.

And let's face it, guys: This seating surface "controversy" is a definite no-win situation.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RJL6000 said:

Actually, all seating surfaces in buses and trains - and private automobiles, for that matter - have problems of their own. Cloth has a nasty habit of absorbing fluids and dirt, while vinyl (which the CTA had used prior to the advent of hard fiberglass/plastic seating surfaces) is notorious for being badly torn up by vandals. And hard plastic is uncomfy and often slippery.

And let's face it, guys: This seating surface "controversy" is a definite no-win situation.

I did like the lime green hard plastics on 3685 - 3699 and on the 300  though I was a kid back then.   The black hard plastic on the 9600s were cool too.

10 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

As an operator I dont know if id be too enthusiastic to take out a bus I know has a hazard. 

That hasn't stopped them for at least 50 years that I know (consider the NABIs until 7542 split, with regard to a real hazard). While @artthouwill might have liked the 3800s, I don't know of anyone else who did, especially when it rained.

I fail to see what's so special about testing the blue seats, IMO..... it's not the 1st time the CTA had them. Buses from the 1970's and 1980's had the plastic seats. Fishbowls, D901A's, Americanas, Articulateds.... all hard plastic seats. The TMC's broke that practice with a softer material on their seats, and the Flxibles started the cloth seating.

5 hours ago, sw4400 said:

I fail to see what's so special about testing the blue seats, IMO..... it's not the 1st time the CTA had them. Buses from the 1970's and 1980's had the plastic seats. Fishbowls, D901A's, Americanas, Articulateds.... all hard plastic seats. The TMC's broke that practice with a softer material on their seats, and the Flxibles started the cloth seating.

And now fg has the least new buses out of all 4 garages. Sounds to me like the old bait and switch. :P My guess is that someone high up doesn't like fg to have the most new buses so they won't. #1757 and #1557 I believe still had the old garage stickers on them. Ironically fg still doesn't have any more nf's than they had to begin with!! xD9_9

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Busjack said:

That hasn't stopped them for at least 50 years that I know (consider the NABIs until 7542 split, with regard to a real hazard). While @artthouwill might have liked the 3800s, I don't know of anyone else who did, especially when it rained.

They probably don't have a choice, if they don't take out a bus as ordered then the paperwork gets started. 9_9 It's all on the managers and ultimately it's their responsibility that a bus is "safe enough" but that's why we have people like Glen Lerner walking around. 

5 hours ago, BusHunter said:

They probably don't have a choice, if they don't take out a bus as ordered then the paperwork gets started. 9_9 It's all on the managers and ultimately it's their responsibility that a bus is "safe enough" but that's why we have people like Glen Lerner walking around. 

As @jajuan is sure about to ask, why do you assume the worst about everything? They put up a poster that they wanted feedback on the plastic seats; why do you assume something more nefarious?

• 2 weeks later...

Well at least we now know what was up with #8305. Don't quite get why it's downtown when it's a cubs bus and should be assigned at FG. The run box shows 77th curiously enough, so the question is, is that a 77th bus. Shouldn't that be around Wrigley somewhere. Unfortunately they missed the boat by a few days. Well Rahm and company at least threw us a bone to chew on. He states that all buses will either be new or rehabbed by the end of 2019, so I guess the #6400's will magically go poof by then!! xD

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Well at least we now know what was up with #8305. Don't quite get why it's downtown when it's a cubs bus and should be assigned at FG. The run box shows 77th curiously enough, so the question is, is that a 77th bus. Shouldn't that be around Wrigley somewhere. Unfortunately they missed the boat by a few days. Well Rahm and company at least threw us a bone to chew on. He states that all buses will either be new or rehabbed by the end of 2019, so I guess the #6400's will magically go poof by then!! xD

My guess is that since it was the last bus to show up at South Shops,  it was just easier to get a 77th driver.  The question is whether this bus has the new seats?   If not,  then it'll be at FG sooner than later. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

My guess is that since it was the last bus to show up at South Shops,  it was just easier to get a 77th driver.  The question is whether this bus has the new seats?   If not,  then it'll be at FG sooner than later. 

The one thing I saw when the ABC7 promo passed by was the internal shot with the black fabric inserts.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, andrethebusman said:

So they claim all 425 are in? So what is the story with 7900? Assignment sheets still show 424, not 425...

It was around, and then it wasn't. Was it just to conform the decals to the other 424 (actually 423, since 8252 is messed up), or was it a true prototype and supposed to be replaced with something else (such as there supposedly being two #1000s)?

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

The one thing I saw when the ABC7 promo passed by was the internal shot with the black fabric inserts.

But was that a file shot or video?   Just like newspapers that keep file photos for inserts in their articles,   tv news does the same thing.   Perhaps they were able to get video of Rahm in 8305.  If not,  then the file photos along with possible video will suffice.   All tv news stations want to do is show you a picture,  whether it is recent or accurate isn't important except to us. 

13 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I guess we'll have to see then where it turns up in the tracker. Might just be in the loop for publicity or you may be right since cta seems dead set on the new types of seats as they state in the budget they might just very well have the new seats.