7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

17 minutes ago, andrethebusman said:

Need to get something figured out about 7900's - which ones have which kind of seats? Never have set foot on one, and being in FL now probably never will...

Hmm, you retired now??? It sounds like you are. If so I wish you all the best. Alot of people retire and leave the city. You've done alot in the transit community and everyone deserves a rest. I'm sure you'll check in though and maybe even visit the city from time to time. Never say never. Make sure to blow us up some warm air while your there!!

To answer your question all buses have the standard seating. Except the 50 buses that start out at #8200 and end at #8249. They have the blue ones. Of course they are all freedman seats.

On 11/20/2016 at 1:10 PM, BusHunter said:

Hmm, you retired now??? It sounds like you are. If so I wish you all the best. Alot of people retire and leave the city. You've done alot in the transit community and everyone deserves a rest. I'm sure you'll check in though and maybe even visit the city from time to time. Never say never. Make sure to blow us up some warm air while your there!!

To answer your question all buses have the standard seating. Except the 50 buses that start out at #8200 and end at #8249. They have the blue ones. Of course they are all freedman seats.

You forgot to add that though they started out at FG to knock out some 6400s, those 50 blue seat Novas are now just about evenly split between Chicago, 74th, 77th and FG to conduct CTA's late started test on how well the seats do among riders. 

13 hours ago, garmon757 said:

No need to comment about this accident. 11/18 around 12-1 AM.

20161118_010406.jpg

20161118_010324_001.jpg

That looks like it's on North Avenue. Wow. So I'm guessing the SUV collided with the car and sent the car crashing into the rear of the bus. This accident is one sign of an overall increase of reckless driving that I've been noticing across different parts of the city as the holidays get closer. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jajuan said:

That looks like it's on North Avenue. Wow. So I'm guessing the SUV collided with the car and sent the car crashing into the rear of the bus. This accident is one sign of an overall increase of reckless driving that I've been noticing across different parts of the city as the holidays get closer. 

Indeed. North and Halsted was the location but my guess that either the suv or the car was speeding through a yellow going on red light scenario while one of them was trying to make either a right or left turn. 

2 hours ago, garmon757 said:

Indeed. North and Halsted was the location but my guess that either the suv or the car was speeding through a yellow going on red light scenario while one of them was trying to make either a right or left turn. 

Ok.  I was pretty sure that looked to be right near the North/Clybourn Red Line stop next to the Intersection with Halsted. And yes the damage to both the car and SUV does like one of them was speeding through a yellow changing to a red while the other was making a turn causing them both to collide with the car then sent on a ricochet into the back of the bus. I witnessed a similar collision between a car and taxi last week at Western and Foster while transferring from an X49 to a 49B. The car sped through the intersection as yellow light turned red and clipped the front of the taxi when the taxi was attempting to turn left onto SB Western. The taxi had the right of way due to the light change, but the driver of the car played Russian roulette with how long it would stay on yellow. The taxi driver pulled into the 7Eleven lot at the intersection instead of making the intended left turn, thinking the car driver was going to stop to exchange insurance info. The car driver instead stopped a few seconds then continued on along Foster. 

• Upvote 2

On 11/23/2016 at 1:26 PM, andrethebusman said:

All the soft seats have black inserts?

To more clearly answer your question beyond just buses 8200 and higher, yes all the soft seats in the buses outside of buses 8200-49 have black inserts. Buses 8200-49 are the only ones in the whole 425 ordered that have the plastic blue seat inserts.

On November 22, 2016 at 6:58 PM, jajuan said:

Ok.  I was pretty sure that looked to be right near the North/Clybourn Red Line stop next to the Intersection with Halsted. And yes the damage to both the car and SUV does like one of them was speeding through a yellow changing to a red while the other was making a turn causing them both to collide with the car then sent on a ricochet into the back of the bus. I witnessed a similar collision between a car and taxi last week at Western and Foster while transferring from an X49 to a 49B. The car sped through the intersection as yellow light turned red and clipped the front of the taxi when the taxi was attempting to turn left onto SB Western. The taxi had the right of way due to the light change, but the driver of the car played Russian roulette with how long it would stay on yellow. The taxi driver pulled into the 7Eleven lot at the intersection instead of making the intended left turn, thinking the car driver was going to stop to exchange insurance info. The car driver instead stopped a few seconds then continued on along Foster. 

That just shows that nobody is safe in this city. 

• 4 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, ChicagoNova said:

That's funny. How come they're not showing up on the bus tracker that I'm looking at (http://www.ctabustracker.com/bustime/map/displaymap.jsp)?

The may not be out there on 66 at the moment, but it's a light day. They are out on other Chicago routes, though:

maths.png

• 4 months later...

I was wondering why this #8200 on the #77 was so hot. I remembered oh yeah the ac is not so good on these buses!!xD So rather than sweat I decided to get off and check out the new Whole Foods market in Roscoe Village. When I came back to my stop I discovered all the buses are #8200's or most of them. Talk about bad luck!! >:(o.O

3 hours ago, Johnny 5 said:

Hey, guess what? I've encountered #8166 being in service on the route #85 today, and right now, it's currently out of the Chicago garage and inside the Forest Glen family. That's so rare... 

2 hours ago, ChicagoNova said:

What!??

Let's calm down, @Johnny 5, @ChicagoNova. This may just be a temporary loaner to FG while some of their Novas might be parked around Wrigley right now. I saw at least one parked facing EB at Addison and Clark behind an artic. Also, the 1st Gen Novas might be a little down in numbers for obvious reasons(band-aid repairs), requiring a temporary borrow.

If we see more than just #8166 on a FG route for an extended period, then I'd be inclined to think some roster changes may be occurring...

16 hours ago, Johnny 5 said:

Hey, guess what? I've encountered #8166 being in service on the route #85 today, and right now, it's currently out of the Chicago garage and inside the Forest Glen family. That's so rare... 

Could they finally be giving FG back some of it's Nova's it lost due to the "seat experiment?" 35 buses is quite a bit to lose and they could try to retire a couple more #6400's as they can't last forever. (although they could stand to transplant their AC system!! :P Not happening!! >:() Hmm... 35 buses from #8199 is #8165.... B|

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Could they finally be giving FG back some of it's Nova's it lost due to the "seat experiment?" 35 buses is quite a bit to lose and they could try to retire a couple more #6400's as they can't last forever. (although they could stand to transplant their AC system!! :P Not happening!! >:() Hmm... 35 buses from #8199 is #8165.... B|

@maths22 tracker today doesn't support it, including now:

8166 70: Division 70 -814 5 (Chicago).

So @sw4400's theory of a loaner is correct.

• Kevin unpinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...