7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

14 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

The real safety issue is the drivers who pull up and/or pull off with the front doors open, I hate that

Yes like half a second to a second is a real safety issue when drivers do that, just my opinion though. It wouldn't really be a safety issue if passengers stay behind the yellow line near the front of bus. Common sense isn't common these days though among a majority of CTA riders.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Yes like half a second to a second is a real safety issue when drivers do that, just my opinion though. It wouldn't really be a safety issue if passengers stay behind the yellow line near the front of bus. Common sense isn't common these days though among a majority of CTA riders.

However the issue is that the sign says that the bus is not supposed to be in motion if someone is ahead of the line. Only the driver has control over the former.

14 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

The real safety issue is the drivers who pull up and/or pull off with the front doors open, I hate that

Then you need to ride Pace.  Their buses can't do that.  If you try to open the doors with the bus in motion the bus will come to a sudden stop.  Their buses won't move until the doors are closed.

13 minutes ago, Busjack said:

However the issue is that the sign says that the bus is not supposed to be in motion if someone is ahead of the line. Only the driver has control over the former.

xD Tell that to the Operators on #152 Addison when Lane Tech is letting out at Oakley, Western and Campbell and #77 at the Blue Line Station.

8 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Well get pace to run there Eldarado's along Ashland then. xD

Axess is better than what is running there now.

However, it gets back to the point on why so many posters say Pace should buy CTA junk, when the historical evidence is that CTA has rented or purchased Pace scrap (700s, 4915s).

4 hours ago, Busjack said:

I remember when CTA didn't have  standen lines on any buses.  I remember people standing on the bottom step in both the front and rear of the bus.  Unlike Pace and other agencies, CTA has never consistently enforced the standee line rule or law.  If CTA put brakes on the front doors, you would see CTA drivers adjust over time, though some injuries would occur at first.  

On 10/25/2018 at 12:07 PM, busfan2847 said:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-biz-cta-buses-digital-screens-20181024-story.html

"The new screens will be installed in the front and middle of a small number of CTA buses later this year for public testing, CTA President Dorval Carter announced Wednesday while speaking at the City Club of Chicago. The screens will include estimated arrival times for upcoming stops and transfer information, along with ads and public service announcements, such as reminders to riders to keep their bags off the seats.

The test screens are being installed at no cost to the CTA by four different vendors, CTA spokesman Brian Steele said. The CTA does not have a budget for the screens at this point, and it does not know how many buses will get the screens during the pilot period. Steele said the pilot program will allow the agency to get customer feedback on how well the screens work."

The pilot will start tomorrow on the #20 Madison route.

37 minutes ago, mel bernero said:

The pilot will start tomorrow on the #20 Madison route.

What the info display pilot? Was hearing when the proterras show up it will be on 124 and 66 not just 66. Dont know what they will do with just 5 buses to start. Give 2 or 3 to kedzie and 2 or 3 to chicago. If Chicago has a charging system how can kedzie use it unless they can use the 700s charger.

3 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

What the info display pilot?

Read what mel quoted.

4 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Give 2 or 3 to kedzie and 2 or 3 to chicago. If Chicago has a charging system how can kedzie use it unless they can use the 700s charger.

Kedzie probably isn't going to get any. as the 700s quick charger is going to Mdway. Theory is that electric bus routes are set up to use the charger at Navy Pier. Now, if you are asking whether buses with overhead chargers can also use plug in chargers, that is another question.

1 minute ago, Busjack said:

Read what mel quoted.

Kedzie probably isn't going to get any. as the 700s quick charger is going to Mdway. Theory is that electric bus routes are set up to use the charger at Navy Pier. Now, if you are asking whether buses with overhead chargers can also use plug in chargers, that is another question.

So 124 is going to chicago. That's the only alternative. What mel posted is abstract. Why do an info pilot and why then equip buses out of 74th?

2 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

What mel posted is abstract. Why do an info pilot and why then equip buses out of 74th?

It's abstract only in the sense that CTA is installing only what some vendors (presumably including Intersection, the successor to Titan) are willing to pay for. No different than when Titan paid for a few Train Tracker signs until CTA decided to go system wide.

The signs don't seem any different than on J14. Another reason it has to be a pilot is that before going whole hog, CTA has to verify that the gps can pull signs for different routes. Since you mention 74th, I suppose that some rider on 9 or 49 wants to know when the next 72 is coming.

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

It's abstract only in the sense that CTA is installing only what some vendors (presumably including Intersection, the successor to Titan) are willing to pay for. No different than when Titan paid for a few Train Tracker signs until CTA decided to go system wide.

The signs don't seem any different than on J14. Another reason it has to be a pilot is that before going whole hog, CTA has to verify that the gps can pull signs for different routes. Since you mention 74th, I suppose that some rider on 9 or 49 wants to know when the next 72 is coming.

Knowing cta those 74th buses will be pulled to chicago garage. You know it could be done #8100s could go to 74th. Why not just do the experiment on the #9 or if they dont have that many buses #55? Funny #J14 didn't get a pilot. 

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Knowing cta those 74th buses will be pulled to chicago garage. You know it could be done #8100s could go to 74th. Why not just do the experiment on the #9 or if they dont have that many buses #55? Funny #J14 didn't get a pilot. 

• How do they test them around the system if C gets all the buses? In effect, this is the opposite of what they did with the plastic seats, with FG gettng the 50 buses, and then having to scatter them around the system to test them. The scattering has already been accomplished.
  • J14 supposedly had the signs from the beginning, so it doesn't need a pilot.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:
  • How do they test them around the system if C gets all the buses? In effect, this is the opposite of what they did with the plastic seats, with FG gettng the 50 buses, and then having to scatter them around the system to test them. The scattering has already been accomplished.
  • J14 supposedly had the signs from the beginning, so it doesn't need a pilot.

That dont make sense. J14 had the signs. Were they no good? Then mel said the 20 is testing them how do buses all around the system do that? More that dont make sense 

5 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

That dont make sense. J14 had the signs. Were they no good? Then mel said the 20 is testing them how do buses all around the system do that? More that dont make sense 

Makes sense to me. Maybe you can explain your problem with it.

In addition, you should ride J14 and see if the signs are still there, although that might be affected by the buses being called in for rehab (other posters posting that the wraps have come off).

42 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Makes sense to me. Maybe you can explain your problem with it.

In addition, you should ride J14 and see if the signs are still there, although that might be affected by the buses being called in for rehab (other posters posting that the wraps have come off).

How? I'm not even going to try to explain your logic. Maybe the j14 signs are the same signs but that would be lunacy 

How? I'm not even going to try to explain your logic. Maybe the j14 signs are the same signs but that would be lunacy 

I don't want or need you to explain my logic; I'm in command of what I know. But I attempted to give you the opportunity to explain your strange position, including the last sentence above, but you appear to be into chartreuse polka dot seats territory again.    

1 hour ago, cta5658 said:

Does anyone have an update on the training of 7900's at 103?

I asked a instructor about the remaining Operators who still need training for the Novas and she said they're just about done with training. Trust me I'll be sure to let you guys know about them cause as a operator and bus fan I been asking about them too cause I want to drive them again. I'll probably 1 of the 1st Operators out of 103rd to drive them lol. But they should be ready to go soon ???.

10 hours ago, Busjack said:

I don't want or need you to explain my logic; I'm in command of what I know. But I attempted to give you the opportunity to explain your strange position, including the last sentence above, but you appear to be into chartreuse polka dot seats territory again.    

In a related development, the proterras are slated to be delivered with the signs in them so they must be confident enough in the signs that they are delivering buses with them already installed. I fully expect the 8325s to have them also. Maybe cta has learned that the signs need to be tweaked with a logarithm so it can communicate properly with the passing traffic. Maybe each route is unique or they just want to roll them out route by route. With chicago garage having a training center it's possible chicago may be the first garage to completely run this. 

In a related development, the proterras are slated to be delivered with the signs in them so they must be confident enough in the signs that they are delivering buses with them already installed. I fully expect the 8325s to have them also. Maybe cta has learned that the signs need to be tweaked with a logarithm so it can communicate properly with the passing traffic. Maybe each route is unique or they just want to roll them out route by route. With chicago garage having a training center it's possible chicago may be the first garage to completely run this. 

I would be remiss to say that we really shouldn't call the remaining 25 Novas the 8325-Series just yet. Looking back on history of Flyer D901A from 1983 we had 9800-9974 with 25 more in a separate order. That order could've easily been 9800-9999, instead of 1600-1624. You have 7900-8324, what's to say they don't start these buses at, say 8400-8424... just for example. The theory here is we're basing what the CTA did with the Orion I's which replaced the 4900-Series TMC RTS buses. Difference here was those were temporaries until new buses could be acclimated, these will be around up to 18+ years

7 hours ago, sw4400 said:

I would be remiss to say that we really shouldn't call the remaining 25 Novas the 8325-Series just yet. Looking back on history of Flyer D901A from 1983 we had 9800-9974 with 25 more in a separate order. That order could've easily been 9800-9999, instead of 1600-1624. You have 7900-8324, what's to say they don't start these buses at, say 8400-8424... just for example. The theory here is we're basing what the CTA did with the Orion I's which replaced the 4900-Series TMC RTS buses. Difference here was those were temporaries until new buses could be acclimated, these will be around up to 18+ years

I think that the distinction was that one set had the Toronto seating configuration rather than the normal 2 x 2.  Maybe the dispatchers had to have something to tell them on which routes to assign then to pack on the standees. However, there isn't any indication that the 8325s are different, although there also hasn't yet been any indication that some will be put in service by the end of the year.