7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

1 hour ago, Novabus said:

Here’s our new NovaBus

506ECFA2-3835-4BB6-89DA-ED70039C042A.jpeg

And they are the 8325s. The rear is a little different in how the bus logos are laid out. Well looks it was leaving ny cause theres no snow around chi town. Time to go check out south shops what is that a vent on the far rear left side?

7 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

And they are the 8325s. The rear is a little different in how the bus logos are laid out. Well looks it was leaving ny cause theres no snow around chi town. Time to go check out south shops what is that a vent on the far rear left side?

Interesting the layout changes... no more rear window and is that a fan near the back left side or just a glare from the sun or something?

It'll be interesting to see the seating decision for them.... the blue seats from 8200-8249 or the cloth inserts like 8250-8324? Also, what garage are these 25 going to?

image.png.0488192d9930b52025f1defa47cf5c47.png

7 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

Interesting the layout changes... no more rear window and is that a fan near the back left side or just a glare from the sun or something?

It'll be interesting to see the seating decision for them.... the blue seats from 8200-8249 or the cloth inserts like 8250-8324? Also, what garage are these 25 going to?

Not that it matters but would these last 25 be considered 2018 models if they were built between 2017 and 2018?

10 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

My guess might be 103rd since they've trained their operators on how to handle them or maybe they'll go to Forest Glen (aka the Glen) and 103 gets some Novas from 77

On 12/16/2018 at 10:03 AM, Busjack said:

However the issue is that the sign says that the bus is not supposed to be in motion if someone is ahead of the line. Only the driver has control over the former.

I have never seen a sign on a CTA bus that states that. Also its not the operator who wants the bus packed to the doors, its CTA who ignores federal regulations on that issue. It’s a complete safety hazard with passengers blocking the right side mirror with their heads and bumping into the operator’s body/arm.

2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Not that it matters but would these last 25 be considered 2018 models if they were built between 2017 and 2018?

Depends on their build dates. Like a car, September-December builds are considered next model year vehicles. So if September-December 2017, they'll be 2018 models. September-December 2018 will make them 2019 models. Anything in-between will be 2018 models.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I'm curious as to the reason for lack of a rear window. And I don't believe that's a fan, although it may be doing the dual exhaust thing that Gillig does.

Could be it has to do with the lack of a rear window. Maybe the rerouting of exhaust has something to do with it. We need to see exactly what the new nova specs are. What ta has got novas this year? And compare the specs.

I wonder if the bus has a rear camera with an on board screen? All cars 2018 and newer by law are supposed to have this feature now. 

9 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I wonder if the bus has a rear camera with an on board screen? All cars 2018 and newer by law are supposed to have this feature now. 

Like a parking assist-type camera for the driver only? Or an on-board camera of the nature that everyone on the bus can see? Also, does this law extend to buses, I can't find any mention of that?

Nevermind, found it: https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.dot.gov/files/documents/tp-111-v-01-final.pdf

52 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Could be it has to do with the lack of a rear window. Maybe the rerouting of exhaust has something to do with it. We need to see exactly what the new nova specs are. What ta has got novas this year? And compare the specs.

If NYC's 2018 models are any constellation to what CTA might be getting may answer everyone's questions for the specs. I do have a strong hunch that the Cummins L9 engine may be included with the last 25 along with a better equipped ZF Eco-life transmission or Allison which I highly doubt but as for cameras I believe that all 2018-2019 models have that as well.

4 hours ago, Busjack said:

Only thing on the web comparable is some TTC artics (see here).

40 foot TTC bus doesn't have rear window, but doesn't have side vents.

I think you might've been looking at the wrong area(although I do see the rear vents), @Busjack. Let me highlight what I was referring to...

...it's probably a glare or something, but I'm not sure. Looks like a fan in the image taken.

8341 With Circular Fan.png

3 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

I think you might've been looking at the wrong area(although I do see the rear vents), @Busjack. Let me highlight what I was referring to...

...it's probably a glare or something, but I'm not sure. Looks like a fan in the image taken.

8341 With Circular Fan.png

That's probably dirt (as someone asked, it's probably in the Adirondack forest, and there's plenty of salt on the bus), but the chevron vents over the tail lights and the row of vents down the corner are certainly unusual, as well as that while some Novas don't have back windows, why the last CTA ones are different than the 425 that preceded them.

I guess we'll have to wait until they show up in Chicago and see someone lift the back covers.

17 minutes ago, Busjack said:

That's probably dirt (as someone asked, it's probably in the Adirondack forest, and there's plenty of salt on the bus), but the chevron vents over the tail lights and the row of vents down the corner are certainly unusual, as well as that while some Novas don't have back windows, why the last CTA ones are different than the 425 that preceded them.

I guess we'll have to wait until they show up in Chicago and see someone lift the back covers.

Hmm,looking closely at it,it does look like those are rear vents. But I not sure however. I just taking a guess. 

1 hour ago, Mr.cta85 said:

Great eye for catching that because subconsciously I knew it was something else different about this bus but I just couldn't put my finger on it lol.

Do you think those 8325s will come to 103 or head to the Glen with some of the 7900's from 77th coming to 103?

57 minutes ago, cta5658 said:

Do you think those 8325s will come to 103 or head to the Glen with some of the 7900's from 77th coming to 103?

Me personally I think they are coming to 103rd but that's also wishful thinking for me too lol. But I wouldn't rule out 77th getting them. Historically speaking 77th seem to have always got the new toys 1st so we'll have to wait and see but I would definitely be nice if my garage got them 1st ???.

10 hours ago, jesi2282 said:

Looks like they're ditching hopper windows. Pax windows are one piece.

That was a really good catch. Yeah if they are locking the hopper windows they might as well. If they have an ac failure they are back to the fishbowl era and you probably cant open the rear windows cause on the newer buses only the front windows have emergency escapes. 

As far as who gets them it could be 103rd if you guys are slated to get some. I dont think 77th would get them. Fg could still get them but those are going to be some hot buses. Maybe they have upgraded ac. Seems almost an off the shelf bus maybe cta got it on sale LOL!!

8 hours ago, Mr.cta85 said:

Me personally I think they are coming to 103rd but that's also wishful thinking for me too lol. But I wouldn't rule out 77th getting them. Historically speaking 77th seem to have always got the new toys 1st so we'll have to wait and see but I would definitely be nice if my garage got them 1st ???.

Maybe 103rd gets 7 to 10 and F gets the rest.  More likely 103rd gets 7 to 10 of 77th's oldest 7900s and F gets all of the last batch.  I can't see putting brand new buses primarily owl service.

• Like 1