Jump to content
South Shop 7

7900-series Nova LFS - Deliveries & Assignments

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Novabus said:

Here’s our new NovaBus

506ECFA2-3835-4BB6-89DA-ED70039C042A.jpeg

And they are the 8325s. The rear is a little different in how the bus logos are laid out. Well looks it was leaving ny cause theres no snow around chi town. Time to go check out south shops what is that a vent on the far rear left side?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

And they are the 8325s. The rear is a little different in how the bus logos are laid out. Well looks it was leaving ny cause theres no snow around chi town. Time to go check out south shops what is that a vent on the far rear left side?

Interesting the layout changes... no more rear window and is that a fan near the back left side or just a glare from the sun or something?

 

It'll be interesting to see the seating decision for them.... the blue seats from 8200-8249 or the cloth inserts like 8250-8324? Also, what garage are these 25 going to?

 

image.png.0488192d9930b52025f1defa47cf5c47.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

Interesting the layout changes... no more rear window and is that a fan near the back left side or just a glare from the sun or something?

 

It'll be interesting to see the seating decision for them.... the blue seats from 8200-8249 or the cloth inserts like 8250-8324? Also, what garage are these 25 going to?

 

image.png.0488192d9930b52025f1defa47cf5c47.png

Not that it matters but would these last 25 be considered 2018 models if they were built between 2017 and 2018?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

Interesting the layout changes... no more rear window and is that a fan near the back left side or just a glare from the sun or something?

 

It'll be interesting to see the seating decision for them.... the blue seats from 8200-8249 or the cloth inserts like 8250-8324? Also, what garage are these 25 going to?

 

image.png.0488192d9930b52025f1defa47cf5c47.png

My guess might be 103rd since they've trained their operators on how to handle them or maybe they'll go to Forest Glen (aka the Glen) and 103 gets some Novas from 77

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2018 at 10:03 AM, Busjack said:

However the issue is that the sign says that the bus is not supposed to be in motion if someone is ahead of the line. Only the driver has control over the former.

I have never seen a sign on a CTA bus that states that. Also its not the operator who wants the bus packed to the doors, its CTA who ignores federal regulations on that issue. It’s a complete safety hazard with passengers blocking the right side mirror with their heads and bumping into the operator’s body/arm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Not that it matters but would these last 25 be considered 2018 models if they were built between 2017 and 2018?

Depends on their build dates. Like a car, September-December builds are considered next model year vehicles. So if September-December 2017, they'll be 2018 models. September-December 2018 will make them 2019 models. Anything in-between will be 2018 models.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cta5658 said:

My guess might be 103rd since they've trained their operators on how to handle them or maybe they'll go to Forest Glen (aka the Glen) and 103 gets some Novas from 77

I heard rumors that they are going to FG to replace the old novas 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sw4400 said:

Interesting the layout changes... no more rear window and is that a fan near the back left side or just a glare from the sun or something?

I'm curious as to the reason for lack of a rear window. And I don't believe that's a fan, although it may be doing the dual exhaust thing that Gillig does.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I'm curious as to the reason for lack of a rear window. And I don't believe that's a fan, although it may be doing the dual exhaust thing that Gillig does.

Could be it has to do with the lack of a rear window. Maybe the rerouting of exhaust has something to do with it. We need to see exactly what the new nova specs are. What ta has got novas this year? And compare the specs.

I wonder if the bus has a rear camera with an on board screen? All cars 2018 and newer by law are supposed to have this feature now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I wonder if the bus has a rear camera with an on board screen? All cars 2018 and newer by law are supposed to have this feature now. 

Like a parking assist-type camera for the driver only? Or an on-board camera of the nature that everyone on the bus can see? Also, does this law extend to buses, I can't find any mention of that?

Nevermind, found it: https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.dot.gov/files/documents/tp-111-v-01-final.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Could be it has to do with the lack of a rear window. Maybe the rerouting of exhaust has something to do with it. We need to see exactly what the new nova specs are. What ta has got novas this year? And compare the specs.

I wonder if the bus has a rear camera with an on board screen? All cars 2018 and newer by law are supposed to have this feature now. 

If NYC's 2018 models are any constellation to what CTA might be getting may answer everyone's questions for the specs. I do have a strong hunch that the Cummins L9 engine may be included with the last 25 along with a better equipped ZF Eco-life transmission or Allison which I highly doubt but as for cameras I believe that all 2018-2019 models have that as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Busjack said:

Only thing on the web comparable is some TTC artics (see here).

40 foot TTC bus doesn't have rear window, but doesn't have side vents.

 

I think you might've been looking at the wrong area(although I do see the rear vents), @Busjack. Let me highlight what I was referring to...

 

...it's probably a glare or something, but I'm not sure. Looks like a fan in the image taken.

8341 With Circular Fan.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

I think you might've been looking at the wrong area(although I do see the rear vents), @Busjack. Let me highlight what I was referring to...

 

...it's probably a glare or something, but I'm not sure. Looks like a fan in the image taken.

8341 With Circular Fan.png

That's probably dirt (as someone asked, it's probably in the Adirondack forest, and there's plenty of salt on the bus), but the chevron vents over the tail lights and the row of vents down the corner are certainly unusual, as well as that while some Novas don't have back windows, why the last CTA ones are different than the 425 that preceded them.

I guess we'll have to wait until they show up in Chicago and see someone lift the back covers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Busjack said:

That's probably dirt (as someone asked, it's probably in the Adirondack forest, and there's plenty of salt on the bus), but the chevron vents over the tail lights and the row of vents down the corner are certainly unusual, as well as that while some Novas don't have back windows, why the last CTA ones are different than the 425 that preceded them.

I guess we'll have to wait until they show up in Chicago and see someone lift the back covers.

Hmm,looking closely at it,it does look like those are rear vents. But I not sure however. I just taking a guess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah it has a camera it's dead center in the top of the rear exterior. Lots of vents now that we mention it. I wonder were buses running hot and it a design improvement or can it be something different. Cta has known to experiment on the tail end of the orders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jesi2282 said:

Looks like they're ditching hopper windows. Pax windows are one piece.

Great eye for catching that because subconsciously I knew it was something else different about this bus but I just couldn't put my finger on it lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr.cta85 said:

Great eye for catching that because subconsciously I knew it was something else different about this bus but I just couldn't put my finger on it lol.

Do you think those 8325s will come to 103 or head to the Glen with some of the 7900's from 77th coming to 103?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, cta5658 said:

Do you think those 8325s will come to 103 or head to the Glen with some of the 7900's from 77th coming to 103?

Me personally I think they are coming to 103rd but that's also wishful thinking for me too lol. But I wouldn't rule out 77th getting them. Historically speaking 77th seem to have always got the new toys 1st so we'll have to wait and see but I would definitely be nice if my garage got them 1st 😊👍🏽.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jesi2282 said:

Looks like they're ditching hopper windows. Pax windows are one piece.

That was a really good catch. Yeah if they are locking the hopper windows they might as well. If they have an ac failure they are back to the fishbowl era and you probably cant open the rear windows cause on the newer buses only the front windows have emergency escapes. 

As far as who gets them it could be 103rd if you guys are slated to get some. I dont think 77th would get them. Fg could still get them but those are going to be some hot buses. Maybe they have upgraded ac. Seems almost an off the shelf bus maybe cta got it on sale LOL!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mr.cta85 said:

Me personally I think they are coming to 103rd but that's also wishful thinking for me too lol. But I wouldn't rule out 77th getting them. Historically speaking 77th seem to have always got the new toys 1st so we'll have to wait and see but I would definitely be nice if my garage got them 1st 😊👍🏽.

Maybe 103rd gets 7 to 10 and F gets the rest.  More likely 103rd gets 7 to 10 of 77th's oldest 7900s and F gets all of the last batch.  I can't see putting brand new buses primarily owl service.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Maybe 103rd gets 7 to 10 and F gets the rest.  More likely 103rd gets 7 to 10 of 77th's oldest 7900s and F gets all of the last batch.  I can't see putting brand new buses primarily owl service.

I agree 100% 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By East New York
      Good day all!

      My name is Dante, and I am a Transit Systems Engineer based in NYC. I have been following this forum for a couple years here and there, so I finally decided to join. One of the reasons is because my new position will have me traveling all over the country a lot, and I have learned a lot about CTA. Glad to be here, and hope to be a helpful part of some discussions.

      Question #1

      I know a little about the upcoming procurement as I have the RFP, but from your prospective, who all do you think has a chance at this contract, and who would you like to see it awarded to?
×