7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

why does 8341 have the side vents at the rear and these don't. I also checked out the crrc plant. It's right next to Ford's new car holding lots. They are building 4 sets of tracks, looks like cta gauge to possibly test or store new trains. They have a guard shack at 135th/Torrence so I don't know if I can access the building. If you look over the torrence river crossing though you can see the building and tracks.

8 minutes ago, Johnny 5 said:

? Can't w8! 

Yeah they have to get the registrations all setup put all the plates, fareboxes, test them and make sure they have no problems. They don't want to send any out that may have a hiccup still from the factory. That takes at least 2 weeks. If they have space to store them and it looks like they do. They might just wait for all of them to show up but if they are not there they are close. I wish I could have saw #8341 though. I really want to see the Proterras. I'll be back over there from time to time. I took a few other pictures. #4119 has it whole front end wrapped by the shop and #1805 is the same way but it doesn't face the street. I forgot what happened to those buses. Between the trip there to the Ford plant and CRRC I think I had my xmas yesterday LOL!! I was looking I think I got pictures of the 2020 explorer debuting at the detroit auto show jan 9th they are all wrapped, just like you see in like Motor Trend or something. Like the detroit spy report LOL!! I looked Torrence will be assembling those trucks. I was trippin' they actually drive those down torrence to the holding lot. It was really interesting. I think I'm going to upload those here under the general transportation stories tab.

20181224_122733.jpg

20181224_122730.jpg

5 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Are these the last of the contract options? I read about baltimore getting Novas as well, presumably to replace their 2005 shoeboxes and this wouldn't be the first time they've piggybacked on a CTA order?

Unless Nova bids on the next order of buses when the CTA puts one out to begin retirement of the New Flyers. As good as all-electric buses are, I can't see the CTA ordering numbers of 300, 400, 500 or even 1,000+ buses anytime in the near future. All-Electric buses are still very new and though they have been ran on CTA streets with 700 and 701 for about 4 years now, until they get closer to the 12-year FTA mandate to see how they handle that level of service in that timeframe, I can't see the CTA doing more than perhaps 100 of them, in the event a total failure should occur.... the CTA would be struggling to maintain service if a number of 25% or greater of the fleet failed.

This would be why the Proterra order is only for about 45 buses* total.

*=Total may not be fully exercised, as we've seen with procurements in the past.

9 hours ago, sw4400 said:

Unless Nova bids on the next order of buses when the CTA puts one out to begin retirement of the New Flyers.

There was a simpler answer that has nothing to do with this. CTA can't assign options it doesn't have. Besides that, when asked by New Flyer during the bidding process, CTA said that the options were not assignable.

20 hours ago, BusHunter said:

. I wish I could have saw #8341 though.

You did.

20181224_124105.jpg

5 hours ago, Busjack said:

There was a simpler answer that has nothing to do with this. CTA can't assign options it doesn't have. Besides that, when asked by New Flyer during the bidding process, CTA said that the options were not assignable.

You did.

20181224_124105.jpg

Ha ha so I did!! Then what's missing a few #8340's. It seems like they are all here just about.

7 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Ha ha so I did!! Then what's missing a few #8340's. It seems like they are all here just about.

Turns out CTA was good on that the first of the 8325s would be delivered by the end of the year. Now if there were any Proterra sightings :D!

8 hours ago, Busjack said:

Turns out CTA was good on that the first of the 8325s would be delivered by the end of the year. Now if there were any Proterra sightings :D!

I tell you if building these charging stations is an indication of where they are at then they must not be here for awhile. Nothing's going on at chicago/austin. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/25/2018 at 11:12 PM, sw4400 said:

Unless Nova bids on the next order of buses when the CTA puts one out to begin retirement of the New Flyers. As good as all-electric buses are, I can't see the CTA ordering numbers of 300, 400, 500 or even 1,000+ buses anytime in the near future. All-Electric buses are still very new and though they have been ran on CTA streets with 700 and 701 for about 4 years now, until they get closer to the 12-year FTA mandate to see how they handle that level of service in that timeframe, I can't see the CTA doing more than perhaps 100 of them, in the event a total failure should occur.... the CTA would be struggling to maintain service if a number of 25% or greater of the fleet failed.

This would be why the Proterra order is only for about 45 buses* total.

*=Total may not be fully exercised, as we've seen with procurements in the past.

As far as electric buses are concerned dont tell that to the mta. They want to fully equip the nyc transit bus fleet to be electric by 2040. There's a story on the net. I thought myself cta should have probably took the 800s and 900s and possibly retrofit them to be electric. They already had the electric motors for hybridization.

Trading electric for gas is like trading apples for oranges. It all comes down to what's cheaper. Gas prices around ohare are under 2 dollars. If gas remained cheap it's still hard to beat. 

22 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

As far as electric buses are concerned dont tell that to the mta. They want to fully equip the nyc transit bus fleet to be electric by 2040. There's a story on the net. I thought myself cta should have probably took the 800s and 900s and possibly retrofit them to be electric. They already had the electric motors for hybridization.

Trading electric for gas is like trading apples for oranges. It all comes down to what's cheaper. Gas prices around ohare are under 2 dollars. If gas remained cheap it's still hard to beat. 

Well 22 years is enough time to refine electric buses to make them more stable and operate to an FTA mandate 12-year lifespan with minimal bugs. Right now, there are still some hiccups to iron out with them, 700 was an example of that. A full fleet of buses that may or may not work for a 12-year cycle without being pulled for a major issue would be a gamble right now. By 2040, a fleet of electric buses is feasible, as TA's will order small quantities to use in the meantime, allowing manufacturers to refine their products and make them better when the time comes for a 100% fleet of all-electric buses to be made.

DSC06321.png.c4b395ab99f1b8191216c14701651d5d.png

28 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

Well 22 years is enough time to refine electric buses to make them more stable and operate to an FTA mandate 12-year lifespan with minimal bugs. Right now, there are still some hiccups to iron out with them, 700 was an example of that. A full fleet of buses that may or may not work for a 12-year cycle without being pulled for a major issue would be a gamble right now. By 2040, a fleet of electric buses is feasible, as TA's will order small quantities to use in the meantime, allowing manufacturers to refine their products and make them better when the time comes for a 100% fleet of all-electric buses to be made.

DSC06321.png.c4b395ab99f1b8191216c14701651d5d.png

It's just talk right now it's not action. If talk got things done we would have a red line extension by now. Dont know what happened to 700 but it's weird how cta went to proterra and left nf in the dust. Dont know where mta plans to get all the money for this but if the feds sign off on it it's a job well done at mta. 

26 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

It's just talk right now it's not action. If talk got things done we would have a red line extension by now. Dont know what happened to 700 but it's weird how cta went to proterra and left nf in the dust. Dont know where mta plans to get all the money for this but if the feds sign off on it it's a job well done at mta. 

Proterra is the first to build all electric buse so they should be further along ironing out kinks compared to other manufacturers just getting into the game.

6 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Whoh, what happened to #700?! Looks a bit dirty.

48 minutes ago, Busjack said:

How did the 7900s thread become the 700s thread? Is everything on this forum Random Random?

Actually you started the detour when you mentioned ^"no Proterra sightings," which began the electric buses discussion. Then the kid asked about 700, an electric bus.

Let me steer this back to the 7900s.  Any sightings of 7900s at 103rd or 8325s at F?