7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

On 12/24/2018 at 9:46 AM, artthouwill said:

They will replace SOME 6400s.  We know 25 won't be enough to retire all of the remainder of the 6400s

There's no guarantee that all of the 8325s will go to F either.  W all shall soon find out 

I drove past 77th garage to see the new novas for myself. I wonder if the new novas have hopper windows just in the back and front cause my concern as a operator is what happens when or if the ac goes out on the bus and is hot or vise versa if it's cold on the bus in the winter time. Of course we have procedures to follow incase of that event but I dont think it was smart of cta to not have hopper windows on these buses. But either way I'm excited about new equipment even if they're not coming to my garage lol. Nova training is just about finished so I presume well see them soon out of 103rd.

6 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Actually you started the detour when you mentioned ^"no Proterra sightings," which began the electric buses discussion. Then the kid asked about 700, an electric bus.

Let me steer this back to the 7900s.  Any sightings of 7900s at 103rd or 8325s at F?

7901 is at 77th Parked up along 79th street 7900 is also there along with the 8325’s and I don’t know about the 8325’s at F can’t wait till they get into service 

5 hours ago, artthouwill said:

More than likely a Prevost Service Center than a dealer.  Makes sense in that Prevost and Novabus are both part of the VolvoGroup family.

Yeah my amazement was that theres a prevost place over there at all. Learn something new every day. The bus probably needed a warranty part. 

6 hours ago, Aiden Tabucic said:

When can we expect these buses to arrive at F and start rolling the streets 

The jury's still out on where they will go. There's only 25 buses, and Forest Glen can use some, as can 103rd for their owl service. It wouldn't be sensible to split the group(one gets 12 and the other 13), so either one or the other will most likely get these 25 due to be in service in 2019.

15 hours ago, sw4400 said:

The jury's still out on where they will go. There's only 25 buses, and Forest Glen can use some, as can 103rd for their owl service. It wouldn't be sensible to split the group(one gets 12 and the other 13), so either one or the other will most likely get these 25 due to be in service in 2019.

It's highly doubtful any will go to 103rd, given CTA had already begun sending some 7900s that were already here from 77th per MRCTA85's stating he saw a couple there already when at work and other forum members stating a few  other lower numbered 7900s outside what MRCTA85 already saw at his garage being missing in action from service starting about that time. The other factor in why I find it doubtful about 103rd is that CTA bus operations division has shown historically that it like putting small numbers like the 8325s option all in one garage when they assign them after the relevant delivery inspections and prep for operation. With the main intent for having any Novas at all at 103rd being for owl service, I don't think 8325-49 will have their revenue service home be there. 

2 hours ago, jajuan said:

It's highly doubtful any will go to 103rd, given CTA had already begun sending some 7900s that were already here from 77th per MRCTA85's stating he saw a couple there already when at work and other forum members stating a few  other lower numbered 7900s outside what MRCTA85 already saw at his garage being missing in action from service starting about that time. The other factor in why I find it doubtful about 103rd is that CTA bus operations division has shown historically that it like putting small numbers like the 8325s option all in one garage when they assign them after the relevant delivery inspections and prep for operation. With the main intent for having any Novas at all at 103rd being for owl service, I don't think 8325-49 will have their revenue service home be there. 

Hopefully they put them in next week or the second week of January 

9 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Well if they are driving around they must have plates. And if they are showing up at prevost then they are being examined so they are probably half way to service 

Could still be transporter tags. Your pictures don't show plates, and some show something on the windshield. They don't get plates until they are conditionally accepted and become CTA property.

44 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Could still be transporter tags. Your pictures don't show plates, and some show something on the windshield. They don't get plates until they are conditionally accepted and become CTA property.

I thought those are only valid for the transporter. Dont know how long those are valid either. 

3 hours ago, Busjack said:

But if they were going to Prevost in Franklin Park, they were still in the possession of the transporter.

How can you be sure of ths? The firm that brought it is probably either on another run or in NY. Once on CTA property the deliverer has the receiving agency sign for said goods. Once that happens it's now CTA property. Just like a new car it's under warranty and you can take it to the dealer for repair. So I would think it would need plates. Only way to know for sure is go to 77th and look for yourself. 

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

How can you be sure of ths? The firm that brought it is probably either on another run or in NY. Once on CTA property the deliverer has the receiving agency sign for said goods. Once that happens it's now CTA property. Just like a new car it's under warranty and you can take it to the dealer for repair. So I would think it would need plates. Only way to know for sure is go to 77th and look for yourself. 

Could be some of both.  Temp plates or stickers or tags generally are good for 30 days, so they can still be driven on even in CTA possession.  However I'm not sure and I don't think that CTA can operate them in revenue service without the proper regular plates required by law.

6 hours ago, BusHunter said:

CTA contracts say that the goods have to be conditionaaly accepted before they become CTA property, and get Illinois titles and license plates. If your inference was that the bus had to go to the local Prevost service center, it hadn't been conditionally accepted. 

The question with regard to transporter tags is not what trucking company has the transport contract, but whether the vehicle is titled. You can look up the NY DMV and IL SOS sites on that, as well as note what @artthouwill said..

4 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Could be some of both.  Temp plates or stickers or tags generally are good for 30 days, so they can still be driven on even in CTA possession.  However I'm not sure and I don't think that CTA can operate them in revenue service without the proper regular plates required by law.

And state vehicle inspection (which Pace told Nova Bus it had to get BEFORE tendering delivery; again, if the bus actually was going to the Prevost service center, maybe that's why).

What sticks in my throat is why bring a bus for part replacement when you have a prevost service vehicle right there. Why do a state inspection there and not at a cta facility. Only thing I can come up with is the part is too big or heavy to put in a truck. I need to repeat what I saw. This was spotted around 100 PM so if this is true, that it is an inspection, then another bus should ge there at the same time. 

Years ago (1950's) it was normal for brand new buses to enter service with"license applied for" tags, like is common today with cars. The big transporter outfit is Bennett Trucking from Georgia. Their responsibility ends when the bus is parked at South Shops. Now if a bus has to go off property for warranty work before CTA accepts it, Nova probably hires some local outfit to do it, maybe the service center employees do it.  After acceptance most likely CTA shops employees would.

The paper in the window should have the VIN on it. Please report any you might be able to read.

11 hours ago, BusHunter said:

need to repeat what I saw. This was spotted around 100 PM so if this is true, that it is an inspection, then another bus should ge there at the same time. 

No need for that. You're assuming it was a CTA driver, while the contract driver could have taken it straight to Franklin Park first (or as Andre said). Similar thing to Pace buses showing up at Chandler before they show up at South Holland, even though the last time I was there, a Chandler truck was at South Holland, too.

14 hours ago, BusHunter said:

What sticks in my throat is why bring a bus for part replacement when you have a prevost service vehicle right there. Why do a state inspection there and not at a cta facility. Only thing I can come up with is the part is too big or heavy to put in a truck. I need to repeat what I saw. This was spotted around 100 PM so if this is true, that it is an inspection, then another bus should ge there at the same time. 

CTA isn't an authorized state inspection location where this Prevost service center probably is.  It also sounds like this isn't actually owned by Prevost, but authorized by Volvo to do warranty work for Prevost, Nova, and Volvo.  As such, they are probably an authorized state inspection center that does D.O.T. inspections.  One would think that qoyls present a conflict of interest, but Illinois isn't interested in running inspection centers for buses and trucks.

Again you can't know for sure if that bus was there for pre acceptance warranty work or an inspection.

On 12/28/2018 at 12:10 PM, artthouwill said:

Actually you started the detour when you mentioned ^"no Proterra sightings," which began the electric buses discussion. Then the kid asked about 700, an electric bus.

Let me steer this back to the 7900s.  Any sightings of 7900s at 103rd or 8325s at F?

I highly doubt the 8325s will go to FG. FG had a bunch of their 8200s stolen to give to Chicago ave. They will go to Chicago. 77th or 103rd. FG will just get more beat up NFS. 

On 12/28/2018 at 7:55 PM, Aiden Tabucic said:

When can we expect these buses to arrive at F and start rolling the streets 

Theses won’t go to FG. They will most likely go to Chicago 77th or 103rd. FG had a bunch of 8200s stolen from them to give to Chicago ave. FG will get NF “hand me downs” to replace the remaining 6400s.  Typical CTA practice!