7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

I think you misunderstood my point that I was making that North Park is overstocked with artics It actually doesn't need the number that it currently has in terms of which routes it uses them on. It was supplying its artic routes just fine with the number it had before getting the extra from Kedzie. If it was felt Kedzie had excess, then those should have gone somewhere south to make up for what was taken from the south side to supply Chicago. If anything, when they were coming up with a artic assignment for Chicago, they actually could have pulled more of a contribution from North Park.

Ok I get what you're saying. North Park being greedy with the artics (sarcasm). To come to think about it, the 4300s are having some effect to some garages. That's probably the reason why Kedzie gave North Park some of their 4000s. Now I'll stand by your side about Chicago should've received some from North Park without a doubt but no matter how they shuffle buses from one garage to another, it's still going to be problems no matter what. It's highly an unorganized fleet I tell you man.

7900 headed north on LSD this morning around 10:00. North Park on the destination sign

Could this be where the Nova LFS Smart Buses are heading first??? Interesting choice if true... no Nova LFS assigned there, just blocks of various numbered New Flyer D40LF's. Will they be swapping some with other garages to make room for an allotment of them???

Could this be where the Nova LFS Smart Buses are heading first??? Interesting choice if true... no Nova LFS assigned there, just blocks of various numbered New Flyer D40LF's. Will they be swapping some with other garages to make room for an allotment of them???

Or maybe it is just a prototype just being tested around the system.

Let's not forget the mysterious sighting of 7901.

Did you see the operator's area on those buses. (Look at mel's picture) Below the sneeze guard/shield is a movable partition that goes to the floor. These guys look like they are driving tanks not buses. Lol!! The operators I've talked with at fg didn't really care for the sneeze guards and would actually request novas. They say it's a write up to not use the sneeze guard.

Or maybe it is just a prototype just being tested around the system.

Let's not forget the mysterious sighting of 7901.

Sw, you're reading too much into what are so far minor moves. Busjack is right. This is nothing more than a prototype being shown and tested around the system. It does not mean because the bus is at NP, that's who's getting it first. Regardless of where it goes, it still has to be known by personnel across the system at some point. It's like 4400 getting shown at 103rd and FG, but 4400s not actually getting assigned to either of those garages until many years later.

Did you see the operator's area on those buses. (Look at mel's picture) Below the sneeze guard/shield is a movable partition that goes to the floor. These guys look like they are driving tanks not buses. Lol!! The operators I've talked with at fg didn't really care for the sneeze guards and would actually request novas. They say it's a write up to not use the sneeze guard.

Well that better enjoy that option for the next year or two that they still actually have it because once the 6400 series is gone, they'll have no choice but to get used to the sneeze guards. It does make one wonder though if operators will start requesting a 7900 over a NF in the case of garages that may have these and one or more of the NF models due to that extra barricade.

Well that better enjoy that option for the next year or two that they still actually have it because once the 6400 series is gone, they'll have no choice but to get used to the sneeze guards. It does make one wonder though if operators will start requesting a 7900 over a NF in the case of garages that may have these and one or more of the NF models due to that extra barricade.

Sneeze guards??? What a mediocre joke.... Don't be surprised if the next set of NF's have sneeze guards.

Sneeze guards??? What a mediocre joke.... Don't be surprised if the next set of NF's have sneeze guards.

All the NFs already have them. What Bushunter was getting at though was the thick black barricade below the clear plastic one (the infamous sneeze guard) on the drivers compartment of 7900.

They aren't sneeze guards, they are assault guards.

Remember when the bus driver got el Kabonged on Roosevelt by a passenger?

However, the cutout around the fare box reminds me of the service window at Harold's with the plexiglass lazy Susan.

They aren't sneeze guards, they are assault guards.

Remember when the bus driver got el Kabonged on Roosevelt by a passenger?

However, the cutout around the fare box reminds me of the service window at Harold's with the plexiglass lazy Susan.

That's what I've thought they were. Now that's funny about the plexiglass.

All the NFs already have them. What Bushunter was getting at though was the thick black barricade below the clear plastic one (the infamous sneeze guard) on the drivers compartment of 7900.

Hmmm, I've yet to see that bus. However, if that's why they're called then it is what it is.

Sw, you're reading too much into what are so far minor moves. Busjack is right. This is nothing more than a prototype being shown and tested around the system. It does not mean because the bus is at NP, that's who's getting it first. Regardless of where it goes, it still has to be known by personnel across the system at some point. It's like 4400 getting shown at 103rd and FG, but 4400s not actually getting assigned to either of those garages until many years later.

Maybe.... maybe not... When prototype #1000 came, it's first garage assignment was Archer before going to a few others, and ultimately Archer got the buses first when they started to come in. North Park is getting the Nova LFS Smart Bus first... may not mean anything... may mean that North Park will be assigned 7900's first.

Maybe.... maybe not... When prototype #1000 came, it's first garage assignment was Archer before going to a few others, and ultimately Archer got the buses first when they started to come in. North Park is getting the Nova LFS Smart Bus first... may not mean anything... may mean that North Park will be assigned 7900's first.

Name one good reason why they would send Smart Buses to NP when NP has no Novas whatsoever and therefore no buses that need replacement. I'd believe either of 77th, Chicago, FG or 74th before I would have any suspicions about anything going to NP. As I said, you're reading too much into what are so far minor details and minutiae.

• Upvote 1

Name one good reason why they would send Smart Buses to NP when NP has no Novas whatsoever and therefore no buses that need replacement. I'd believe either of 77th, Chicago, FG or 74th before I would have any suspicions about anything going to NP. As I said, you're reading too much into what are so far minor details and minutiae.

It throws me too, jajuan. But Kevin stated it means nothing since the Smart Bus also visited Kedzie before returning back to the South Shops today. I just looked back to the #1000-Series New Flyers and how the prototype went to Archer first before going to other garages and Archer started receiving the 1000's first before any other garage.

That's the only reason I mentioned this....

It throws me too, jajuan. But Kevin stated it means nothing since the Smart Bus also visited Kedzie before returning back to the South Shops today. I just looked back to the #1000-Series New Flyers and how the prototype went to Archer first before going to other garages and Archer started receiving the 1000's first before any other garage.

And it was also mentioned in the newspapers that Archer was going to get them.

• Upvote 2

It looks to me the new bus is visiting all the garages i guess so everyone like the mechanics, operators and etc can see the new bus, you know like the newest member of the family so to speak. I'm going to stick with 74th as the top choice of getting the 7900's 1st but then again cta could shock us all and put them at 103rd or another garage that's never had novas before. No one never guessed they would be named the 7900's so who knows.

It looks to me the new bus is visiting all the garages i guess so everyone like the mechanics, operators and etc can see the new bus, you know like the newest member of the family so to speak. I'm going to stick with 74th as the top choice of getting the 7900's 1st but then again cta could shock us all and put them at 103rd or another garage that's never had novas before. No one never guessed they would be named the 7900's so who knows.

For what my opinion's worth, I'm still thinking FG and C will get the 7900s simultaneously: FG gets odds and C gets evens, or vice versa; after that 74th should be next on the pecking order.

I think you misread my post. I was actually agreeing with Kevin, hence the last sentence in that post that you were reading too much into what are so far minor details and minutiae.

For what my opinion's worth, I'm still thinking FG and C will get the 7900s simultaneously: FG gets odds and C gets evens, or vice versa; after that 74th should be next on the pecking order.

Unlike the situation in about 2007 where the 4400s at both 103 and NP were falling apart simultaneously, that doesn't seem to be the case here, especially given the reports that the 6800s are being sent back to FG, and those are about a year newer than 6708 and under.

It also appears that 77th still has the lowest numbered and most abused 6400s, although it is not clear what the effect of sending 1200s back to them is.

Of course, the odds evens was a surprise when that happened.

Bus 7900 came by 567 today (as stated above), briefly, so that Planning could see it. Per Engineering people on board, the next bus (7901), also considered a prototype but part of the 300 bus order, is due around April 9th. The deliveries of the following 48 buses would be in late April/ early May. Then after 8 weeks or so, the next 50 would come in, and so on in groups of 50 until all are here.

Thanks for sharing the photos! I was wondering how the back looked compared to the old Novas...