7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

No it wasn't. If it were, CTA could have diverted the $1.1 million cost of a hybrid articulated bus into the estimated $830 K for an electric bus without asking for $330  K in CMAQ money. Easy math: $500K (cost of a Nova) + $330K=$830K.

The articulated bus portion of the "up to 450 buses" solicitation was never awarded. I bet you also expect that the last of the 4900 series articulated buses are about to be delivered.

The only thing you said that made sense was the last clause.

As BH has pointed out, the only open question is whether CTA will exercise the remaining option in the Nova contract for 25 buses.

I have doubts about CTA ever procuring 8325-8349. I think it would've been exercised with 8200-8324 if they wanted it. It's a fraction of the order that probably won't see the light of day.

Just now, sw4400 said:

I have doubts about CTA ever procuring 8225-8249. I think it would've been exercised with 8200-8324 if they wanted it. It's a fraction of the order that probably won't see the light of day.

There are only 2 plausible theories:

• The money for those buses went into the local portion of the electric bus project.
  • Page 70 of the 2016 budget says "In addition, FY 2016-2020 funding of $22 million will support the purchase of up to 50 electric or clean diesel buses." So, maybe CTA does exercise the option.

2 hours ago, garmon757 said:

I'm having a feeling that something odd is going to happen at Forest Glen. More Novas???

I would hold my breath if I were you (about not going past #8246) because the buses I've mentioned yesterday all have their license plates installed. They can begin service any day now.

Yeah, but SS will hang on to the last few at least until the #8253's show up. I'd be surprised if all 20 something buses go to FG this week.

Was on #8224 yesterday and was noticing the ventra card reader on that bus takes 3 swipes to get a fare registered. Seemed like it was happening to alot of people. Maybe that's why we haven't seen it much. I've only seen it out twice in a week.

5 hours ago, dann said:

Just rode 8214 on #56 this morning and I need to mention that there actually is an insert in the seats. It's just that the insert is textured plastic so you wouldn't slide around when the bus makes a sudden move or stop. And the seats are no less comfortable (or uncomfortable) than in a New Flyer or old Nova. And the a/c was working just fine, even though the bus was quite crowded. 

You want to see how the AC is supposed to run; just locate #6873. They really had the AC dialed in the other day on the #77. I'm starting to understand why some operators are still taking out the #6400's. On these hot days the AC is much better, at least 50 percent better unless you pick up a junk. #6681 was out the same day and had all hopper windows opened due to an AC failure, thank god I rode it in the evening. It wasn't bad feeling a breeze for a change. Was like that 70's song "Summer Breeze" xD

Frankly if I was pulling out a bus especially on a hot day, I'd think twice about pulling these out unless the operator compartment is better. But I haven't seen the operators with towels on their legs either like the ones out of Archer when the #1000's were new.

If I was a customer, I might have to look up bringing some portable air conditioning on, just like they did in the movie Congo. Now where do they sell those? xD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60QtQWUN_yI

5 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

If I was a customer, I might have to look up bringing some portable air conditioning on, just like they did in the movie Congo. Now where do they sell those? xD

Aside from needing a tent, you need somehow for the compressor to discharge the heat to the outside. Same problem as that opening the refrigerator door eventually does not work.

• Upvote 1

#6810, #6816, #6778, #6844, #6868, #6737, #6572, #6874, #6467 are all in the 3rd yard don't see anything new. I just walked the yard nothing new except #8229 by the maintenance islands. #8203 and #8209 is still in the 3rd yard. Maybe #8232-#8235 are tonight's transfer moves.

• Upvote 1

Here you go guys pictures of #8230 and #8231

#8230:

cta 8230 foster sign on 92.PNG

cta 8230 front on 92.PNG

I made 2 pics so you could see the full sign

cta 8230 rear on 92.PNG

#8231:

cta 8231 rear on 77.PNG

I was going to take a picture of #8229, it was in service on the #77 when it abruptly dropped off the tracker 7 minutes from Cicero wb on the #77. Then I saw it at the maintenance island. It must have had some sort of failure cause it was pulled mid route.

Another odd riddle I've been trying to figure out, as you can see from the pictures I disembarked #8231 at Belmont/Pulaski wb. it was a pullin at Harlem. So I figured the only way I could intercept #8230 was to take the #56 to Jeff, about a 17 minute journey, the foster #8230 was waiting and said it was going out in 7-8 minutes. I did not wait more than 4 minutes for the #56. I disembark #8230 at Long eb and walk to the glen maybe 10-15 minutes and what do I see #8231 already laid up like it has been washed and everything. My total journey time from the disembarkment at Belmont/Pulaski, I estimate to 40-45 minutes. So a bus can travel pulaski to harlem on belmont, pullin, get washed, get laid up all in 40-45 minutes??? I wonder if possibly the new buses aren't going through the wash racks and are just getting laid up. Now that I think of it I've never seen a new bus leave the wash rack in all the times I've been over there.

• Upvote 4

BTW, I experienced a few problems on #8230. The stop requested bells were not working. I pushed one button by the door no dice another by the door no dice and pulled the cord no dice. Hopefully the bus wasn't having a problem. Operators sometimes troubleshoot that by going to the plastic box like thingie at the front and moving the pulley or whatever that's inside it. Doesn't always work though. 

8 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Was on #8224 yesterday and was noticing the ventra card reader on that bus takes 3 swipes to get a fare registered. Seemed like it was happening to alot of people. Maybe that's why we haven't seen it much. I've only seen it out twice in a week.

That's been an ongoing issue on the entire Ventra system because I had that pathetic problem on both CTA and Pace buses, especially when I was trying to use it on #352 but it kept on saying insufficient funds. Like how is that possible if I had $54.00 on my card???

(Reply back on the Ventra Topic)

Sort of funny while I was filming #8230, there were 3 Pace #270's back to back to back in the Jeff bay. There were so many riders on the first one they were lined up past the island in 2's and 3's. There was a guy, i guess he was a supervisor he had a clipboard and a white polo shirt with the pace logo with wrench embroidered on the front. I liked his shirt, wish I had one. That's the first time I've seen a Pace supervisor in the field. He might have even been a manager I don't know.

Here's some more pictures, that sun was a beach.

#8232:

cta 8232 front on 77.PNG

cta 8232 rear on 77.PNG

#8236:

cta 8236 rear on 77.PNG

cta 8236 front fg pullin.PNG

cta 8236 rear on harlem finally.PNG

I had to get away from that sun. Hey hey we finally have a picture of a new bus on Harlem, but it's not in service :(

Desperate times mean desperate measures, Hooray!! At least we get to see what it would look like if it were true.

cta 8236 harlem yay.PNG

#8253 #8254 #8255 #8256 #8257 #8260 and #8261 have arrived. #8238 will be at Forest Glen tomorrow. #7975 and #8160 are OOS while being maintenanced. Look wtf they did to #8252's license plates!!! xD Also there's a red sign inside #8252's windshield stated "Do not enter. Ready for shipment". Is they sending it back to Plattsburgh??? O.o

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, garmon757 said:

#8253 #8254 #8255 #8256 #8257 #8260 and #8261 have arrived.

Floodgates sure opened.

Look wtf they did to #8252's license plates!!

Trying to evade I Pass cameras. More likely red light ones.

Also there's a red sign inside #8252's windshield stated "Do not enter. Ready for shipment".

Probably trying to keep the N.Y. congresswoman out of it.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, garmon757 said:

Oh wow! The Emmanuel effect! Haha, nice one about the cameras! xD 

I figured they couldn't have been put completely off base by the fleet number being on the wrong side. There is also a nasty group of red light cameras around Foster/Higgins/Nagle, I believe.

1 minute ago, Busjack said:

I figured they couldn't have been put completely off base by the fleet number being on the wrong side.

Hell, the question is, why the red sign? It wouldn't make any sense if it was the screw ups with the plates and decals.

2 minutes ago, garmon757 said:

Hell, the question is, why the red sign? It wouldn't make any sense if it was the screw ups with the plates and decals.

As I indicated above, whether it is clear if CTA or Nova attached it?

2 hours ago, garmon757 said:

Good question, but I have to bet on Nova attaching it. If anything, CTA could've corrected it by now. 

Novabus probably don't want there employees in it when it's been deemed completed. They have inspectors too that sign off that this bus is acceptable. Now in Chicago if someone says this bus is unacceptable than it goes back to either the driveway firm or the inspector that signed off on it. i wonder what happened when they got the news about #8194? But i suppose it could go back to who built the defective part. They were probably in the hot seat, but defects do happen as long as it's an isolation incident it's still probably OK. It just puts a tarnish on them when the next parts contract comes up. For a company that build engines you don't want that.

So a whole pack of buses showed up again. Novabus must really want to ship those out. I didn't think they would ship July 4th weekend. This is probably that shipment. So FG is starting to fall behind again, SS should have 20 buses at least. Maybe we can see the #8250's before too long. (Maybe the middle of next week.)

4 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

They were probably in the hot seat, but defects do happen as long as it's an isolation incident it's still probably OK. It just puts a tarnish on them when the next parts contract comes up. For a company that build engines you don't want that.

Essentially, there is a warranty, and it appears that Cummins is the only one that makes an EPA 2013 compliant bus diesel engine.